Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

I just renewed my contract in march, so I'm not going anywhere until 2015 (I'm on a family plan, so my share is only $45/month - otherwise I'd leave) I only use about 3-5 GB/month, so overages wouldn't be too bad.

Besides data usage and speeds, AT&T and Verizon has more coverage, fewer dropped calls (and higher call quality) and text messages, better located stores (vs most Sprint stores are in strip malls and out-of-way locations for me), better handset selection, and entire plan discounts, (not just data re: new Sprint plans), higher customer service ratings according to JD Power. There's also a social stigma around here if you're on Sprint.

Otherwise, it's not too bad for a cheap, low-rent carrier.

Shit, for all your complaints, why are you with Sprint? I haven't read all your posts, but everything is negative thus far.

If you worry about the "social stigma" of your wireless carrier then I think I'm done trying to educate you with facts. I look to my service providers for service, not social status.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 14

Time for the off topic stormtroopers to restore order.

They are on their way.  Enjoy the hold music while you wait...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn4QwQAQnHc

AJ

• Like 5

If you worry about the "social stigma" of your wireless carrier then I think I'm done trying to educate you with facts. I look to my service providers for service, not social status.

Right! I've never heard of such a thing. Are there really a significant number of low self-esteem having people that have the need to use their cell phone carrier (of all things) as a social status booster?  :o

• Like 2

I just renewed my contract in march, so I'm not going anywhere until 2015 (I'm on a family plan, so my share is only $45/month - otherwise I'd leave) I only use about 3-5 GB/month, so overages wouldn't be too bad.

Besides data usage and speeds, AT&T and Verizon has more coverage, fewer dropped calls (and higher call quality) and text messages, better located stores (vs most Sprint stores are in strip malls and out-of-way locations for me), better handset selection, and entire plan discounts, (not just data re: new Sprint plans), higher customer service ratings according to JD Power. There's also a social stigma around here if you're on Sprint.

jD power studies are almost useless for as much prestige is given to them. They use large samples (very large in fact) but the difference between carrier score (even from bottom to top) are so low that they are rather meaningless. The wireless industry as a whole has improved in customer service, that AT&T took home the customer service award in this study is well good for their marketing department but not much else. And while vzw and AT&T (although not in every market) are deploying 10x10 in 700 leading to faster peak speeds ( I don't understand people's obsession with this, I think it is the same impulse that leads people to feel more masculine with a big truck) sprint's lte network will be better in many ways do to the fact that they are using multiple frequencies and voice on the same frequencies. Sprint also has half the customers so 5x5 won't be as be of a disadvantage as you make it out.

Shit, for all your complaints, why are you with Sprint? I haven't read all your posts, but everything is negative thus far.

Right! I've never heard of such a thing. Are there really a significant number of low self-esteem having people that have the need to use their cell phone carrier (of all things) as a social status booster?  :o

Because a capitalist, materialist society encourages consumers to define themselves by the brands they purchase and surround themselves with, instead of individual achievements, goals, or ideals. If all your personal energy goes in to buying things, you are those things.

He could always go this route:

Make sure everyone knows.

• Like 2

I have a confession - I kinda wanted to try Cricket Wireless when one of my Sprint lines came off contract a few months ago, but I didn't want to tell people I have a Cricket phone.  Cricket has LTE here in Houston, the rate plans are priced right, they have the Galaxy S4, etc.  Even if I don't tell them I have a Cricket phone, what if I miss a call and the voicemail message is "The Cricket customer you are trying to reach ....  .... ...".

Should I do something to boost my self esteem so this doesn't bother me?

• Like 1

I just  renewed my contract in march, so I'm not going anywhere until 2015 (I'm on a family plan, so my share is only $45/month - otherwise I'd leave) I only use about 3-5 GB/month, so overages wouldn't be too bad.

Since when did the cell phone provider you go with become such a social stigma?  I don't see the relevance of how the cell phone provider you use somehow reflects on your character.  If people are willing to deal with paying more for tiered shared data, deal with other shenanigans like locked bootloaders on Android phones (Verizon and ATT are very guilty of this), waiting 24 months for upgrades now instead of 20 months on Sprint or paying full retail for smartphones to maintain unlimited data plan (Verizon) in exchange for better voice and LTE service now, all the power to them.

I used to be gun ho about switching to Verizon if I left Sprint but now there is no way I would switch to Verizon given all the conditions I would have to deal with as listed above.  For me I haven't really experienced the dropped calls issues and the whole handset issue is just honestly laughable.  For the past 2 years Sprint has been able to get all the flagship phones just like all the other major carriers have from HTC, Samsung, LG, and Motorola.  All the major flagship phones are coming to Sprint.  Now if you are saying that you are jealous of Verizon because they offer the Moto Droid series, then I don't know what to say.  Those Moto Droid phones that came out last month weren't too impressed anyways.

• Like 1

I'm not the brightest on the whole spectrum/bands discussions so I'm can't contribute much lol. I Abe been learning though from posts on here and I'd like to thank everyone that has gone into detail for others. I know it's definitely helped me out.

Anyone think the 800mhz spectrum can be rolled out more quickly than NV1.0? Wouldn't most towers only need a carrier card or a minor update?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 4

I'm not the brightest on the whole spectrum/bands discussions so I'm can't contribute much lol. I Abe been learning though from posts on here and I'd like to thank everyone that has gone into detail for others. I know it's definitely helped me out.

Anyone think the 800mhz spectrum can be rolled out more quickly than NV1.0? Wouldn't most towers only need a carrier card or a minor update?

Rolling out 800 CDMA is part of NV 1.0, 2500 wasn't I think. That still has a long way to go but just adding 800 LTE to a CDMA 800 site should be pretty easy I think. I also thought after getting the RRUs up near work that LTE or 3G would be running on the new gear a month later. That didn't happen.

• Like 1

All I hope and pray is that by June 1 2014 (my upgrade) is that sprint has good amount of LTE coverage (800/2500) in the dc metro area and have cdma 800 turned on to the public as well.

I have great coverage now (shentel market) my lte speeds vary but my peak has been 25-31 down lately but when I go down to Frederick or Montgomery county the coverage is so much worse.

So June 1st please lord let me experience great triband coverage with my holy future triband phone lol

• Like 2

Sure. Just look at your average Verizon customer....zing!

Disclaimer: Its just a joke!

Rolling out 800 CDMA is part of NV 1.0, 2500 wasn't I think. That still has a long way to go but just adding 800 LTE to a CDMA 800 site should be pretty easy I think. I also thought after getting the RRUs up near work that LTE or 3G would be running on the new gear a month later. That didn't happen.

That does make sense.

I was getting frustrated. Noticed some typos and because of sprints network it wouldn't load so I could edit out the errors lol.

800 CDMA is part of NV 1.0. The equipment is installed, and they are in the process of turning it on in many places now. 

800 LTE equipment was also installed, for the most part, with NV 1.0, but the actual activation will come later this summer and fall. For the sites that were installed earlier this year and last year, it will likely require an additional site visit, with some more equipment, but only base station work. No additional antennas are needed. It should be a quick overlay, much much much faster than NV 1.0. There are indications that SoftBank/Sprint would like all the sites that are currently upgraded to have 800 LTE active by the end of the year. We'll see, but that sounds like a pretty aggressive plan, which is good news.

Frankly, I don't trust any app that reports LTE RSSI instead of RSRP. See:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-308-rssi-vs-rsrp-a-brief-lte-signal-strength-primer/

RSSI is not a very appropriate metric for LTE because RSSI varies with carrier bandwidth.  And the guy who coded Advanced Signal Status used some suspect equations, including the one for RSSI, which he geared to VZW's 10 MHz FDD carrier bandwidth.  So, it is definitely not correct for Sprint's 5 MHz FDD carrier bandwidth.

Basically, we need to get used to RSRP and just know that -110 to -120 dBm is poor signal strength.

AJ

I had read a while ago (Robert may have posted it) that for Sprint's 5x5 FDD carriers that RSRP is about 14 dBm lower than the RSSI equivalent, and that this was the value Sprint's engineers were using in the course of testing the network. After reviewing your article that koiulpoi posted, you write that the difference is closer to 20 dBm. Is there a precise value that's been determined or just a consensus that it's somewhere in that range?

I am curious because VoLTE is good to about -93 dBm RSSI (versus 1xA's -105 dBm RSSI) and I've measured -100 to -110 dBm RSRP a good deal more often than anything less than -110 dBm RSRP. Current LTE phones seem to hang on to LTE to about -120 dBm so it seems that VoLTE would call for an earlier handoff to 800 LTE than the current one to Ev-DO.

800 CDMA is part of NV 1.0. The equipment is installed, and they are in the process of turning it on in many places now. 

800 LTE equipment was also installed, for the most part, with NV 1.0, but the actual activation will come later this summer and fall. For the sites that were installed earlier this year and last year, it will likely require an additional site visit, with some more equipment, but only base station work. No additional antennas are needed. It should be a quick overlay, much much much faster than NV 1.0. There are indications that SoftBank/Sprint would like all the sites that are currently upgraded to have 800 LTE active by the end of the year. We'll see, but that sounds like a pretty aggressive plan, which is good news.

would be cool if areas with live 800smr got 800lte off the back