Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

Considering the last reports from Rob peg 800 1x deployment at <1%, I seriously doubt we'll see 800mhz LTE soon. Also, that should strictly be a fallback, and the priority should be 41, 25, 26, in my opinion.

While Robert's acceptance reports show very limited 1x800 deployment, in the real world, there is much, much more: He has mentioned that his sources simply don't have access to 1x800 information. In the Chicago market, for example, nearly 100% of NV sites have been upgraded to 1x800, yet only a small fraction show up on the map. If memory serves, that may be more than 1,000 SMR 800 sites just in Chicagoland. (And if memory doesn't serve, someone will crush me like a bug.)

Some other markets, while not as completely upgraded, also have quite a bit of 800.

i put this in the iowa threads, but wanted to post it here for some more exposure on just how far a 1x800 signal can go!

i have finally found the source of my 1x800 signal! its coming from one of the 3G accepted towers south along interstate 35.

i've also done a little screenshot of the area i've picked up the signal from.

image001.jpg

the X down south is where the tower is, the circle is the furthest i've gone in all 4 directions and picked it up, usually i have to be somewhat elevated with a clear line of sight to the horizon, and the signal is usually between -105 and -100. at the furthest point it was just over 30 miles from the tower, that is a freaking huge range!!!!!

• Like 3

i put this in the iowa threads, but wanted to post it here for some more exposure on just how far a 1x800 signal can go!

i have finally found the source of my 1x800 signal! its coming from one of the 3G accepted towers south along interstate 35.

i've also done a little screenshot of the area i've picked up the signal from.

image001.jpg

the X down south is where the tower is, the circle is the furthest i've gone in all 4 directions and picked it up, usually i have to be somewhat elevated with a clear line of sight to the horizon, and the signal is usually between -105 and -100. at the furthest point it was just over 30 miles from the tower, that is a freaking huge range!!!!!

30mi?!?  That's ridiculous....

GREAT SITE EVERYONE.  I will contribute. 

Does anyone know if there are any Sprint phones yet that can work on the 800Mhz LTE with 1900Mhz of course as well for data?  I know the tri-band phones are coming soon in a few months and will cover the 3 frequencies.  I am wanting to buy a phone in the next couple of weeks so wanteed to know if there are any 800Mhz LTE capable phones already out on Sprint that will be able to receive 800mhz LTE once it is turned on in the coming weeks and months?  With spotty coverage where I live and drive, I really could use the 800Mhz for data too as a backup for the spotty 1900mhz.  Thoughts? 

Does anyone know if there are any Sprint phones yet that can work on the 800Mhz LTE with 1900Mhz of course as well for data?  I know the tri-band phones are coming soon in a few months and will cover the 3 frequencies.  I am wanting to buy a phone in the next couple of weeks so wanteed to know if there are any 800Mhz LTE capable phones already out on Sprint that will be able to receive 800mhz LTE once it is turned on in the coming weeks and months?  With spotty coverage where I live and drive, I really could use the 800Mhz for data too as a backup for the spotty 1900mhz.  Thoughts? 

No, Sprint is skipping dual band (1900 + 800) and going straight to Tri-Band (1900 + 800 + 2500). The first phone will be the LG G2.

That being said, just about any phone out there today (aside from the iPhone 4 and 4S) will be able to use the 800 MHz for 1X (voice + texting, with slow data fallback).

• Like 1

No current Sprint LTE phones support triband LTE.  The first triband LTE phone will be the LG G2.  Even the Moto X phone will be single band 1900 MHz LTE coming out soon.  At this point I expect all upcoming LTE phones (Galaxy Note 3 and  HTC One MAX) to be triband LTE. 

The iPhone is still unclear since it controlled by Apple.  I really hope the iPhone 5S is triband LTE but we don't know since Apple has their own way of doing things.

It's there anyway to see if you're on 1x 800 without having the pro version of signal check? I currently have no plastic to pay with but I wanted to see if I pick it up anywhere.

you can bill play store purchases right to your sprint phone bill if you dont want to or cant add a CC to your account.

• Like 2

It's there anyway to see if you're on 1x 800 without having the pro version of signal check? I currently have no plastic to pay with but I wanted to see if I pick it up anywhere.

The free version (Lite) shows you 800 as well, but don't let that stop you from upgrading ;)

-Mike

• Like 2

Grab a google play card from wally world and redeem that to your account. The pro version is definitely worth it!

• Like 3

I think I speak for all of (some of) us when I say, awww!

Aaactually, here in Grand Rapids, there's only a (very) small handful of 800 MHz 1X towers turned on. I've seen some devices that, when stuck on 800 with low signal (and for some reason not jumping back to the superior 1900 signal (yes it happens)), have become "ear warmers" with bad battery life. I know it will get supremely better once 800 is everywhere, but it's not.

Lucky you. Stupid ibeZ.

I have locked on to 1x 800 for the first time today from actual Maine sites.  Something was done this week as it was not around in this area last Friday night when I drove through.  The affected area is around the USM campus in gorham and several miles outward but signal check showed the tower a fair distance away right down on the coast.  Very impressive distance.  For what its worth I am using the custom PRL in the premier sponsors forum.

• Like 5

With the IBEZ issue, will your phone "know" it's in the IBEZ and not scan at all for 800?

Doubtful. Depending on the PRL it'll just scan occasionally for an 800 signal but will otherwise stay on 1900.

Doubtful. Depending on the PRL it'll just scan occasionally for an 800 signal but will otherwise stay on 1900.

I don't think 800 is on a higher priority, It's just listed first on the PRL. So it's not going to jump from 1900 to 800 unless the 1900 signal gets too weak or it is forced in some other way to start from the top of the PRL and work down. Once you park on one frequency natively you will tend to stay on it until you are forced to jump back. If you are roaming it will periodically keep looking for a native signal, or at least a nonnative signal with a higher priority than your current one. My guess is eventually most Sprint phones will park on 800 to preserve battery, but will utilize PCS and BRS/EBS when they actually need a channel if the signal is strong enough.

I don't think 800 is on a higher priority, It's just listed first on the PRL. So it's not going to jump from 1900 to 800 unless the 1900 signal gets too weak or it is forced in some other way to start from the top of the PRL and work down. Once you park on one frequency natively you will tend to stay on it until you are forced to jump back. If you are roaming it will periodically keep looking for a native signal, or at least a nonnative signal with a higher priority than your current one. My guess is eventually most Sprint phones will park on 800 to preserve battery, but will utilize PCS and BRS/EBS when they actually need a channel if the signal is strong enough.

From what I understand about how PRL/spectrum transitions work...

It is likely Sprint will have the PRLs "park" phones on 800, the network can tell the phone to transition to a different frequency it is within range of. So even though you are parked on 800, the tower can still send you a call on 1900MHz instead if you are within range, etc.

• Like 1

From what I understand about how PRL/spectrum transitions work...

It is likely Sprint will have the PRLs "park" phones on 800, the network can tell the phone to transition to a different frequency it is within range of. So even though you are parked on 800, the tower can still send you a call on 1900MHz instead if you are within range, etc.

It may work that way in the future, but it sure is not working that way now. Right now, you will stay on whichever frequency that you happen to be currently using(either 800 or 1900). You will stay there until something causes your phone to need to scan for a network.  If you happen to visit an area with poor coverage and happen to lose a call because of the poor coverage, your phone will then search and possibly place you on the other frequency if it is available.

It may work that way in the future, but it sure is not working that way now. Right now, you will stay on whichever frequency that you happen to be currently using(either 800 or 1900). You will stay there until something causes your phone to need to scan for a network.  If you happen to visit an area with poor coverage and happen to lose a call because of the poor coverage, your phone will then search and possibly place you on the other frequency if it is available.

But as more 800 coverage rolls out, phones will tend to park on 800 since it's first in on the list and has equal priority to PCS. Once your phone starts parking on 800, it will keep doing it until you hit an area, like the IBEZ, where you don't have any 800 coverage, then it will look for PCS or roaming of some kind.