Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

I had read a while ago (Robert may have posted it) that for Sprint's 5x5 FDD carriers that RSRP is about 14 dBm lower than the RSSI equivalent, and that this was the value Sprint's engineers were using in the course of testing the network. After reviewing your article that koiulpoi posted, you write that the difference is closer to 20 dBm. Is there a precise value that's been determined or just a consensus that it's somewhere in that range?

I am curious because VoLTE is good to about -93 dBm RSSI (versus 1xA's -105 dBm RSSI) and I've measured -100 to -110 dBm RSRP a good deal more often than anything less than -110 dBm RSRP. Current LTE phones seem to hang on to LTE to about -120 dBm so it seems that VoLTE would call for an earlier handoff to 800 LTE than the current one to Ev-DO.

To calculate RSSI from a given RSRP, there are math calculations involved, more than just "subtract 20".  And you need to know characteristics about the network you are on to do that accurately. 20 dBm is a reasonable rough estimate if you don't need complete accuracy.

I tried to include LTE RSSI into early versions of my app so there was a consistent measurement to use for comparison.  After discovering that the correct formula to calculate it was dependent on knowing network-specific information, I abandoned that idea.  RSRP is a better measuring stick for LTE anyway.. people just don't like change.

-Mike

• Like 1

Since when did the cell phone provider you go with become such a social stigma?

It's not so much stigma = negative social status. But more stigma = negative feedback and comments mentioned.

In other forums, and tech sites like cnet or engadget, whenever Sprint is mentioned (in the news or otherwise) it seems like there's alot of horror stories, whining and complaining dredged up and that sort of stuff.

Re: other forums: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4343-sprintcom-forums-yikes/

I'll admit to some complaining in my earlier posts. Though I prefer to see it as being "objective and rational."

Sprint's not too bad since I'm only paying 1/3 to 1/2 of a normal full bill. Basically, "Buyer beware. You get what pay/paid for."

// end off-topic stuff. Back to 800mhz conversation

800 CDMA is part of NV 1.0. The equipment is installed, and they are in the process of turning it on in many places now.

800 LTE equipment was also installed, for the most part, with NV 1.0, but the actual activation will come later this summer and fall. For the sites that were installed earlier this year and last year, it will likely require an additional site visit, with some more equipment, but only base station work. No additional antennas are needed. It should be a quick overlay, much much much faster than NV 1.0. There are indications that SoftBank/Sprint would like all the sites that are currently upgraded to have 800 LTE active by the end of the year. We'll see, but that sounds like a pretty aggressive plan, which is good news.

Any news on the IBEZ?

For the first week or so of 800 Mhz in my area, I was connected to 800 all the time.  This was anywhere in the county, I would just hand off from tower to tower on 800.  Now I almost never connect to 800 Mhz, even at times when I have a very weak 1x signal.  Is this normal, and why is this happening? 

EDIT: If it's relevant, there are still several towers that were broadcasting 800 MHz the first week that are still not 800 MHz accepted.  Is it possible they've stopped broadcasting, even on the accepted towers, for a short period of time (maybe until they're all accepted)?

For the first week or so of 800 Mhz in my area, I was connected to 800 all the time.  This was anywhere in the county, I would just hand off from tower to tower on 800.  Now I almost never connect to 800 Mhz, even at times when I have a very weak 1x signal.  Is this normal, and why is this happening? 

EDIT: If it's relevant, there are still several towers that were broadcasting 800 MHz the first week that are still not 800 MHz accepted.  Is it possible they've stopped broadcasting, even on the accepted towers, for a short period of time (maybe until they're all accepted)?

If you happen to connect to 1900 1X for any reason, you will stay there until you happen to lose if for some reason,  Then you will go back to 800.  This is just the way it works right now.  Maybe it will change later.   If you should need 800, the phone should find it and give it to you.

You can manually place it on 800 by asking for a PRL update.  You will not get  a new PRL, but that makes the phone do a scan of available networks and it should find the 800 that is available in your area.

I'm currently in Sunnyville and SignalCheckPro showed this.

http://db.tt/9cYy7iD6

http://db.tt/ovRWMxLV

The voice part means that I'm picking up 800MHz, right?

What do my screenshots say about my 4G LTE connection?

Yep. LTE is probably still using 1900 since there are no triband phones yet.

So how realistic is the goal of getting all currently active NV sites updated to LTE 800 by the end of the year? I was wondering if possibly why we haven't seen as many 1xA 800 accepts as we expected after the Nextel shutdown is that they're waiting so they can install 1xA and LTE 800 together from here on out. Is all the equipment, ie carrier cards and all that already available and stocked?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yes, you were connected to an active 800MHz 1X site, and an active 1900MHz LTE site.  No current Sprint phones are capable of connecting to LTE outside of the 1900MHz range.

-Mike

• Like 1

Any news on the IBEZ?

None that I know of.

We're not getting 800 1x acceptances at the same rate/quality that we get 3G/4G acceptance reports. In fact, several of the latest 800 1x markers are from in-field reports. So it's entire possible that your towers have been accepted, we just don't know about it. We also don't know for sure exactly how Sprint is prioritizing 800 vs 1900 yet. There have been some cases where people are stuck on 800 all the time, but only after losing 1900. Once they restart, or airplane mode, and they're back on 1900, they don't go back to 800 until they completely lose 1900. Others are just picking 800 up randomly. So, it's hit and miss what's going on right now.

So how realistic is the goal of getting all currently active NV sites updated to LTE 800 by the end of the year? I was wondering if possibly why we haven't seen as many 1xA 800 accepts as we expected after the Nextel shutdown is that they're waiting so they can install 1xA and LTE 800 together from here on out. Is all the equipment, ie carrier cards and all that already available and stocked?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

We probably won't see all of them by the end of the year, but if it's as simple of an installed and activation as it sounds, it should be a quick process, which means once they actually start rolling it shouldn't take to long to get whole areas completed.

There have been some cases where people are stuck on 800 all the time, but only after loosing 1900. Once they 

Oh no, not "loosing" again...

Drugs_Charlie_Sheen_mug_shot_62182.jpg

AJ

• Like 1

We're not getting 800 1x acceptances at the same rate/quality that we get 3G/4G acceptance reports. In fact, several of the latest 800 1x markers are from in-field reports.

Wait...so can I post screenshots from Signal Check Pro of the 1x800 BSL address and the map that it links to and Rickie/Robert will update those towers to 800 on the map?  I thought everything other than "in progress" was determined by official Sprint acceptances. 

• Like 1

I too have interest in CDMA 800. I live in a rural area of zip code 46350, and coverage is non existent, so relying on a airave is essential. Having the old EVO 4G, I find myself waiting for confirmation that 800 is up and running before I upgrade to a phone that supports it. If anyone knows what the status of CDMA 800 in my area is, please let me know.

...and Rickie/Robert will update those towers to 800...

Rickie/Robert?  I guess that makes them Ricky Bobby.

will_ferrell_in_talladega_nights-_the_ba

:P

AJ

• Like 5

The readouts on the menu bar are actually one of the features of SignalCheck Pro. For only $1.99 I do recommend picking it up given how much you'll find yourself addicted to using it. I actually gave in and finally created a Google Wallet account just to pay for that app!

Bear in mind that LTE signal strength is reported in RSRP (Reference Signal Received Power), not RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator), so your LTE signal is not necessarily as weak as it appears at first glance. I believe that as a rule of thumb Sprint usually adds about 14 dBm to RSRP to convert it to it's RSSI equivalent.

I agree...SignalCheck Pro is the best $1.99 I've spent in awhile!

• Like 5

I too have interest in CDMA 800. I live in a rural area of zip code 46350, and coverage is non existent, so relying on a airave is essential. Having the old EVO 4G, I find myself waiting for confirmation that 800 is up and running before I upgrade to a phone that supports it. If anyone knows what the status of CDMA 800 in my area is, please let me know.

Sponsors have access to the NV Completion map that has info about individual towers updated for 800.

That's laporte Indiana right? I would think you would have 800 voice since south bend has 800 voice and so does Chicago. I'm not sure which market you fall into. I was just over in Michigan city but I didn't pay attention to signal stuff yesterday.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

Wait...so can I post screenshots from Signal Check Pro of the 1x800 BSL address and the map that it links to and Rickie/Robert will update those towers to 800 on the map?  I thought everything other than "in progress" was determined by official Sprint acceptances. 

If this is the case, where do we report 1x 800 sites? In the sites in progress thread?

If this is the case, where do we report 1x 800 sites? In the sites in progress thread?

We are not currently accepting CDMA 800 reports from members. There is too much possibility of messing up 1x 800 signals with how far they propagate. You would have to track PN numbers and have access to Sprint Market Playbooks to compare PN numbers. Only our staff and Sprint employees can do this.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

We are not currently accepting CDMA 800 reports from members. There is too much possibility of messing up 1x 800 signals with how far they propagate. You would have to track PN numbers and have access to Sprint Market Playbooks to compare PN numbers. Only our staff and Sprint employees can do this.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Too bad there isn't something like Sensorly for 800 out there. 

• Like 1