Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

I figured 800 would be a top priority to help cut roaming cost.  Is the setup more extensive?

Not sure what you're getting at? 800 is already installed, they're just waiting to activate. Probably waiting on crews to be available to do it, or perhaps carrier cards for the base stations. 

Not sure what you're getting at? 800 is already installed, they're just waiting to activate. Probably waiting on crews to be available to do it, or perhaps carrier cards for the base stations. 

Sorry I just realized I didn't type the first sentence... My mind got ahead of my fingers.  What I mean to say was that the 800mhz rollout seemed someone what slow.  And just that, why wait to activate it when it can help with their bottom line?

Except in the IBEZ. There's no 800 equipment at all at most of those.

True, and won't be fore a while.

Sorry I just realized I didn't type the first sentence... My mind got ahead of my fingers.  What I mean to say was that the 800mhz rollout seemed someone what slow.  And just that, why wait to activate it when it can help with their bottom line?

Hence discussing we've been having.... no one is sure why it's not happening outside of the Samsung markets.

True, and won't be fore a while.

Hence discussing we've been having.... no one is sure why it's not happening outside of the Samsung markets.

Markets that are Samsung make me jealous. :P  I think Samsung just has the most equipment/crews ready for the task.  800 Mhz will control voice and emergency calls so it has to be thoroughly tested prior to being activated. 

Talk about coverage...I was down right by the ocean today driving in Kennebunkport, Maine and my phone picked up an 800 signal....from Mass.!  It seems the tower is out on a peninsula of sorts in rockport and it stuck out just enough to go clearly over the ocean almost 100 miles.

I suppose going over open water signal penetration is very good but I didnt think it was that good.  Very impressive.

What do you guys think?

Screenshot_2013-08-01-11-20-47.png

• Like 6

This is a single data point only but I have a pic of 800 mHz RRUs on a site in Poway. They are not hooked up or weren't about ten months ago when I took the picture.

Talk about coverage...I was down right by the ocean today driving in Kennebunkport, Maine and my phone picked up an 800 signal....from Mass.!  It seems the tower is out on a peninsula of sorts in rockport and it stuck out just enough to go clearly over the ocean almost 100 miles.

Were you at the George H. W. Bush compound?  I would have to say, though, that using even CDMA1X 800 from 100 miles away probably "wouldn't be prudent at this juncture."

AJ

Talk about coverage...I was down right by the ocean today driving in Kennebunkport, Maine and my phone picked up an 800 signal....from Mass.! It seems the tower is out on a peninsula of sorts in rockport and it stuck out just enough to go clearly over the ocean almost 100 miles.

I suppose going over open water signal penetration is very good but I didnt think it was that good. Very impressive.

What do you guys think?

Impressive! I saw something similar last summer before we had 800 around here.. I was hitting a 1X site in Maine from near the end of Cape Cod. It was not very usable for data though, it was much weaker than what you saw.

-Mike

Were you at the George H. W. Bush compound?  I would have to say, though, that using even CDMA1X 800 from 100 miles away probably "wouldn't be prudent at this juncture."

AJ

I actually was right by it.  Quite an impressive place.  I dont usually go down there this time of year as the "flat-landers" have invaded though. ;)

Is there any sort of numbers that show how far a cell signal can travel over open water, unobstructed?

Also, for those around that area in Mass.. that cell site does not appear to be 800 accepted yet but it is broadcasting it so it must be close.

Impressive! I saw something similar last summer before we had 800 around here.. I was hitting a 1X site in Maine from near the end of Cape Cod. It was not very usable for data though, it was much weaker than what you saw.

-Mike

Both reports bring back memories of Nextels on the Michigan side of the lake hooking up with Wisconsin towers.

• Like 1

This is a single data point only but I have a pic of 800 mHz RRUs on a site in Poway. They are not hooked up or weren't about ten months ago when I took the picture.

Huh. I wonder if I should do some driving up there.

This would be nice... It would be nice to know that when they are activating a tower to know that we are getting SMR, PCS, BRS as well as LTE, CDMA, 1X *and* cream and sugar!

What's BRS?

Edited by DrDeke

To those of you who have 800Mhz signal, how well does voice call transition between 800/1900.  Does it drop the call?

I dropped one the other day.  But I went from Sprint 1x 800 to a 1900 roaming signal so I'm sure that opens up a whole new can of worms

I actually was right by it. Quite an impressive place. I dont usually go down there this time of year as the "flat-landers" have invaded though. ;)

Is there any sort of numbers that show how far a cell signal can travel over open water, unobstructed?

Also, for those around that area in Mass.. that cell site does not appear to be 800 accepted yet but it is broadcasting it so it must be close.

Every site is different of course. But I have seen LTE at about 14 miles over water from a 180ft 33 degree beam width antenna. I can only imagine 1x 800 from this same style site. I am sure there is more downtilt involved though as to cut down on interference.

I haven't experienced any drop calls

You are located within Shentel's area which is almost totally equipped with 800 mhz.   If you travel outside the Shentel area, you might find a completely different result.   Areas that are a mixture of 1900 only sites and sites with both 1900 and 800 could possibly give you some weird issues.

I dropped one the other day.  But I went from Sprint 1x 800 to a 1900 roaming signal so I'm sure that opens up a whole new can of worms

With rare exception, a native call is not going to hand off to roaming (nor vice versa).  The frequency band change is irrelevant.

AJ

• Like 1