Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

Looks like the NV Sites Complete Map was updated. I see a new site in Jefferson. I also saw in a thread that a new PRL was pushed to many devices that had a mass 1X800 update. Can anyone near the active LTE towers check for an 800 signal? You may need to update your PRL and Profile. Thanks!

Dequardo- i have not seen much more battery drain on LTE. I leave mine on LTE/CDMA all the time and i get 20+ hours of usage (i have an Evo)

Is there a consensus on the phone's LTE toggle as to what to set it at? In my case an IP5. Should I leave LTE off until the area starts to light up? Will there be any battery hit simply leaving it on?

I live in Waukesha and work in West Allis. Thx!

The LTE and 3G are using the same chip so there isn't any noticeable battery drain by leaving LTE on for the iPhone 5. With older Android phones it would help as LTE was a separate chip that would be powered down.

I don't know about anyone else, but 3G seems to have gotten real crappy in the last month or so. This after incrementally improving over the last ~6 months. I live on the lower east side and it's not too bad right by me, but anywhere else it's pretty rough. I keep hoping this is a sign of work being done and that a tower or two will change over, that just doesn't seem to be happening  :wacko:

On a side note, I had to travel to Madison for work yesterday and picked up my 1st LTE signals in the state of WI driving by Lake Mills, very nice! 

This is not uncommon while work occurs.  I just took a quick look and I see permits have been pulled in March for the sites around you on Prospect & Kane and on Farwell & Ogden. I'll post links to the permits later.

I had to drive to Hartland, WI last night and back, I see that another tower just was accepted right near Lake Mills....I had LTE strongly for quite a bit of 94 as I was driving in that area and I wondered if there were more than just the one by the dirt bike tracks. 

Also, there's a tower with an address in Watertown, nearer the Ixonia exit on the south side of 94 that has new cabinets (outside the fence) and a whole lot of wires coming out of the antennas consistent with NV updates at other sites.  The site is pretty shrouded in trees until you get right on it.  I spotted them on the way there and double checked on the way back.  Kind of hard to get a picture going the exact speed limit of 65MPH and not like 10 over or anything :)

So it does appear to me that the crews are working their way towards Milwaukee....ever so slowly.

On another side note, I can confirm the blip of LTE on John Nolen, right by Sardine restaurant. I wasn't able to grab a tower ID in time though, its a real short window....signal was in the -128dBm range, so I'm not sure which tower is giving us the love.  The tower down Washington that had an approved permit in April is NOT broadcasting and to me didn't look like it had any NV improvements yet.

I had to drive to Hartland, WI last night and back, I see that another tower just was accepted right near Lake Mills....I had LTE strongly for quite a bit of 94 as I was driving in that area and I wondered if there were more than just the one by the dirt bike tracks. 

Also, there's a tower with an address in Watertown, nearer the Ixonia exit on the south side of 94 that has new cabinets (outside the fence) and a whole lot of wires coming out of the antennas consistent with NV updates at other sites.  The site is pretty shrouded in trees until you get right on it.  I spotted them on the way there and double checked on the way back.  Kind of hard to get a picture going the exact speed limit of 65MPH and not like 10 over or anything :)

So it does appear to me that the crews are working their way towards Milwaukee....ever so slowly.

On another side note, I can confirm the blip of LTE on John Nolen, right by Sardine restaurant. I wasn't able to grab a tower ID in time though, its a real short window....signal was in the -128dBm range, so I'm not sure which tower is giving us the love.  The tower down Washington that had an approved permit in April is NOT broadcasting and to me didn't look like it had any NV improvements yet.

I mapped out a little blip on sensorly on John Nolen Dr.  You have to get in close on the map but it's there

This is not uncommon while work occurs.  I just took a quick look and I see permits have been pulled in March for the sites around you on Prospect & Kane and on Farwell & Ogden. I'll post links to the permits later.

(Long time reader, First time poster)

I switched from USC to Sprint because a.) I wanted the SGS4, and b.) I wanted cheaper unlimited 4G. Reading this forum was a huge factor in my decision, so thank you for all the time you've spent in looking up these permits. I live between Farwell+Brady and Farwell+Ogden and cannot wait to be in the middle of a 4G LTE-Radio-Storm.  :sunny:

• Like 3

My phone is working good...... On the east side of Milwaukee.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I as well have to agree it works good on my Galaxy SIII around milwaukee. The only places I really have trouble is on the south side around 24th street and greenfield, but thats only data issue. Im excited to see that a few towers have been upgraded in the area recently and am looking forward to the 4G LTE down there.

Over the past few months i've noticed a increase in quality of data coming from the 3G towers. Of course there are days where its going in an out but thats is to be expected with the upgrade.

• Like 1

It's just beyond awful both at my home and work. Waukesha and West Allis

I as well have to agree it works good on my Galaxy SIII around milwaukee. The only places I really have trouble is on the south side around 24th street and greenfield, but thats only data issue. Im excited to see that a few towers have been upgraded in the area recently and am looking forward to the 4G LTE down there.

Over the past few months i've noticed a increase in quality of data coming from the 3G towers. Of course there are days where its going in an out but thats is to be expected with the upgrade.

(Long time reader, First time poster)

I switched from USC to Sprint because a.) I wanted the SGS4, and b.) I wanted cheaper unlimited 4G. Reading this forum was a huge factor in my decision, so thank you for all the time you've spent in looking up these permits. I live between Farwell+Brady and Farwell+Ogden and cannot wait to be in the middle of a 4G LTE-Radio-Storm.  :sunny:

I stand corrected. The permit was JUST pulled for the building on Farwell & Ogden on Tuesday. It's hard to say exactly when the work will begin but the permit was granted. It's the Fenwick Apartments next to Shank Hall.

http://itmdapps.milwaukee.gov/cgi-bin/Iscola.dll?colaid=biadmin&sid=8740430&colaseq=21388&formid=bipermdt&btnbipermdt=Yes&Taxkey=359-0806-111&PermitNum=1075698&AddrLine=%201442%20%20%20%20%20N%20FARWELL%20AV

So i was at Miller Park for the game last night. I got out of work and was in the Target parking lot on Miller Park Way right at 5pm during rush hour. I was getting a decent 3G signal around -85dbm with a speedtest of 500Kbps down and 30kbps up. I thought this was decent for rush hour and my ping was 105ms. Again i was reminded why i dont like Brewer games, Sprint's service at Miller Park is still unusable. Once the game started my 3G would not even pickup, 1X only. Not usable at all. I barely got text messages out. My friend was sitting next to me who is on VZW with a GS3. His ping was 34ms, got 15mbps down and 3mbps up. I have decided that once all the NV towers are done near Miller Park, if i can not get even half those speeds during a Brewers game that i am jumping ship. Whats the point of paying my $70 a month to Sprint if i can not even use 3G for the At the Ballpark app? 

Take this with a grain of salt, but I sent a message to Sprint on Facebook asking a direct question as to when the Milwaukee Market was going to be upgraded.  After all the promises the last two years, I thought we, the Sprint Customers deserved some sembenance of an idea when its going to finally occur.

I recieved a reply from another user before Sprint replied saying :  "it is in the process of being updated now. They started it I think a month or so ago. It will take a really long time though."

Sprint customer service also replied back, saying:

"Gregg – Great news! Milwaukee has towers that have been changed over to LTE. It has just started, so please be patient with us. We are upgrading everything on the towers from cell sites, switches and adding more Ethernet cables. If you have any questions or concerns we are here for you! *SPG"

I thanked them for a honest answer.

Gregg

Maybe Sprint realizes they need to be honest, even if they admit it will take a while, to keep customers. The standard "if something happens there will be a press release" won't cut it anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'd prefer accurate and honest. 'We' think the explanation can be relied upon?

Take this with a grain of salt, but I sent a message to Sprint on Facebook asking a direct question as to when the Milwaukee Market was going to be upgraded. After all the promises the last two years, I thought we, the Sprint Customers deserved some sembenance of an idea when its going to finally occur.

I recieved a reply from another user before Sprint replied saying : "it is in the process of being updated now. They started it I think a month or so ago. It will take a really long time though."

"Gregg – Great news! Milwaukee has towers that have been changed over to LTE. It has just started, so please be patient with us. We are upgrading everything on the towers from cell sites, switches and adding more Ethernet cables. If you have any questions or concerns we are here for you! *SPG"

Gregg

Take this with a grain of salt, but I sent a message to Sprint on Facebook asking a direct question as to when the Milwaukee Market was going to be upgraded.  After all the promises the last two years, I thought we, the Sprint Customers deserved some sembenance of an idea when its going to finally occur.

I recieved a reply from another user before Sprint replied saying :  "it is in the process of being updated now. They started it I think a month or so ago. It will take a really long time though."

Gregg

Your question as you it asked got an honest answer except it wasn't specific enough. The Milwaukee market IS getting upgrades. But that's most southern Wisconsin (except southwestern WI - that's the Minneapolis market) including Dane, Jefferson, Waukesha, Milwaukee, Green, Rock, Walworth, Racine and Kenosha counties.  Madison and some surrounding areas already have LTE. Fond Du Lac and surrounding areas are lit also. You should have asked if the CITY of Milwaukee is getting any work done. You might want to go back and ask again and toss in Waukesha, if you'd like.

Consider tossing in a few bucks to the site so you have access to the interactive maps & you can see what's already accepted for LTE in our market. You can also see which sites are getting NV in your areas of interest and you can keep an eye out for work being done.

Gregg

Towers that have changed over to----it has just started, so please be patient.   Milwaukee?  Milwaukee market?   Switched in Milwaukee, really where?   Some straight talk would be great.

There are so many of us all around the Milwaukee area, that I think one of us would post it here if LTE was discovered anywhere near the city of Milwaukee. We wouldn't need to wait for it to be posted by Robert or Sprint first :)

• Like 1

There are so many of us all around the Milwaukee area, that I think one of us would post it here if LTE was discovered anywhere near the city of Milwaukee. We wouldn't need to wait for it to be posted by Robert or Sprint first :)

I have three sites around my home and I'm watching them closely. One appears to have Samsung-esque antenna panels on them. I'll have to get a closer look soon.

• Like 1

I have three sites around my home and I'm watching them closely. One appears to have Samsung-esque antenna panels on them. I'll have to get a closer look soon.

If you were watching them closely, wouldn't you have already gotten a close look?   :clap:

Which one is the one you think has Samsung panels on it? I've been watching the tower on 92nd and Oklahoma / Beloit since that's the one I drive by the most. I don't think any work has been done at all on that one though.

Sadly I returned the iPhone 5 to Sprint today. Simply can't live with almost non existent 3G data. Barely registers DL speeds via Speedtest. Half the time I get 'no Internet connection'. Even worse, things don't improve much outside. Will track here with great interest when LTE really starts up in Waukesha.

If you were watching them closely, wouldn't you have already gotten a close look?   :clap:

Which one is the one you think has Samsung panels on it? I've been watching the tower on 92nd and Oklahoma / Beloit since that's the one I drive by the most. I don't think any work has been done at all on that one though.

The site is on South 6th St and West Cleveland Ave. It's a building mounted site but at least it's at a level where I can get close enough to see it. I'd take a look now, but I'm away on vacation.

So... I have a couple questions about the tower that I've been keeping an eye on (ML03XC136) on 92nd and Oklahoma / Beloit.

The site has a bunch of AT&T signs on it, so I'm guessing it's an AT&T tower that Sprint is also leasing from them. There is a little building, which I'm guessing would be AT&T's, and then there are some outdoor cabinets. I'm guessing the cabinets are Sprint since AT&T owns the cell site, so they'd probably have the fancy building. I have not seen any indications of construction there, but the cabinets look somewhat newer. I took some (not so great) pictures of the cabinets and the panels, could anyone lend their expertise and say which panels are Sprint's and if they think those are new cabinets for NV?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4wkaa216et4iziu/GuH6CwCB-0#/

I'll try to get some better pictures, but I always feel weird and suspicious-looking, snapping pictures in the alley behind some businesses :)