Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

I passed through Penn Station the other day and noticed there was Sprint native coverage down on the tracks. Is this new? It was only 3G but way better than roaming.

I think they may have a DAS in there. It's likely that the upgraded sites around Penn Station have decreased load on the DAS and as a result the experience has improved as a whole. 

• Like 1

At&t has added cell service in all the subways in Queens and I love it.

I'm sure all the other carriers have service too. At&t has LTE too.

I don't travel to Queens enough but it's safe to say that the other carriers also have cell service there too. Transit Wireless is the company who is setting it all up and they're doing all 4 nationwide carriers. The reason Queens got service second AFAIK is because the company is based in Queens. I can't wait until they do Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan (below 14th Street).

I don't travel to Queens enough but it's safe to say that the other carriers also have cell service there too. Transit Wireless is the company who is setting it all up and they're doing all 4 nationwide carriers. The reason Queens got service second AFAIK is because the company is based in Queens. I can't wait until they do Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan (below 14th Street).

Have you been to Fenway? If you have, how is Sprint service at the Fenway?

I was at the Mets game for Memorial Day with 30,200 fans and At&t was doing pretty good. They must have small cells deployed at Citi Field.

I was getting about 16 down. I wish I had had a Sprint device to test out.

Have you been to Fenway? If you have, how is Sprint service at the Fenway?

I was at the Mets game for Memorial Day with 30,200 fans and At&t was doing pretty good. They must have small cells deployed at Citi Field.

I was getting about 16 down. I wish I had had a Sprint device to test out.

Fenway is excellent on Sprint. I've never been there during a game but the entire area around Fenway and inside the stadium is covered in LTE that runs in the high teens on a bad day.

Transit Wireless is the company who is setting it all up and they're doing all 4 nationwide carriers. The reasnon Queens got service second AFAIK is because the company is based in Queens.

And because Lloyd Braun is the head of Transit Wireless.  Frank and Estelle have been screaming for service for years.  Serenity now!

;)

AJ

• Like 3

i was at a mets game recently and my phone stuck to Clear B41. Speeds were sub 1mbps. Forced my phone to 3G and speeds were even worse. The wifi there is amazing tho, hit 20mbps before the game started. I also put in my tmobile sim and speeds were alittle better on both HSPA and LTE

i was at a mets game recently and my phone stuck to Clear B41. Speeds were sub 1mbps. Forced my phone to 3G and speeds were even worse. The wifi there is amazing tho, hit 20mbps before the game started. I also put in my tmobile sim and speeds were alittle better on both HSPA and LTE

Really? I thought Sprint B41 would be great at any sports stadium and yes, Citi Firld has some great wifi. I was getting 36 down in the first inning.

• Like 1

Really? I thought Sprint B41 would be great at any sports stadium and yes, Citi Firld has some great wifi. I was getting 36 down in the first inning.

No Carrier will work well at any major sports event with thousands of people without some sort of DAS.

• Like 1

I passed through Penn Station the other day and noticed there was Sprint native coverage down on the tracks. Is this new? It was only 3G but way better than roaming.

They finally got the site online there.

At&t has added cell service in all the subways in Queens and I love it.

I'm sure all the other carriers have service too. At&t has LTE too.

Transit Wireless is putting in all 4 carriers, unfortunately Sprint isn't on air yet in Queens (sad panda here)

• Like 1

Transit Wireless is putting in all 4 carriers, unfortunately Sprint isn't on air yet in Queens (sad panda here)

Sprint was the last carrier to get it the first time around so I'm not surprised.

No Carrier will work well at any major sports event with thousands of people without some sort of DAS.

…or even with DAS.  Plenty of early DAS had only one or a few sectors.  Coverage, not capacity was the goal.  More recent DAS has utilized typically tens of sectors, so capacity is better.  But it still is often no match for major sporting event crowds.  That is why enterprise grade Wi-Fi is such an important mandate among pro sports franchises.  Your average MLB park or NFL stadium will have hundreds of dual band access points, thus the equivalent of hundreds, if not thousands of cellular sectors. 

AJ

• Like 2

Either Sprint is really on the ball or my timing was really coincidental because I reported slow speeds at my home tower yesterday or two days ago and last night around 12AM throughout this morning, my phone has been flipping between 1 bar of 1x800 and LTE over and over again.

• Like 1

EUDF7PS.png?1

This is Band 25, believe it or not, in front of the cruise terminal on the West Side (Pier 92/94). I was sitting in heavy traffic this afternoon and decided to run a speed test just to see what things were like. The SNR on this speed test was somewhere in the 20's which is something I hadn't seen in a long time.

• Like 2

[img?1[/img]

This is Band 25, believe it or not, in front of the cruise terminal on the West Side (Pier 92/94). I was sitting in heavy traffic this afternoon and decided to run a speed test just to see what things were like. The SNR on this speed test was somewhere in the 20's which is something I hadn't seen in a long time.

Hint hint check the earfcn =) hint hint

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 2

EUDF7PS.png?1

I guess they are optimizing the three bands. If they do this in every zip code across America they will have the best network.

I was out in Long Island over the weekend (wine country!!), and was really impressed that I had awesome B41 coverage at Pindar Winery. Was out with some family, and using my phone exclusively as the Spotify DJ since I had unlimited data :D

• Like 5

That's super far! The furthest I've gone is to Tanger Outlets in Riverhead. A few of my friends have summer homes in the Hamptons and although they invite me, I've still never gone. The 2hr+ drive really discourages me.

EDIT: To bring it back on topic slightly, considering the site spacing throughout most of Eastern LI, I'm really not surprised that signal was spotty. One can only hope they add a few sites to make things slightly better. According to carrier coverage maps, once you get out that far in LI, virtually every carrier (with the exception of AT&T though I am doubtful) has super low site density.

• Like 1

Funny, I was out on the east end as well on Sunday, but you were on the north shore while I was on the south shore. 

Signal was spotty after East Hampton and basically nil out in Montauk. 

TS

Yep, that part of Long Island is weird though on the North Shore, almost like it's not even New York at that point.

The awesome thing is that there is a Sprint site located nearby the wineries that has 8T8R as well as B25 and B26, so it's a full build and optimized pretty well.