Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Sorry if this is a stupid question... but I've had iPhones for years and I can't figure out how to get into Field Test while on a phone call. Enlighten me please? ;)

Just enter this *3001#12345#* into the phone dialer and your [emoji93]golden[emoji93]

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hello everyone:

I was a Sprint customer from 2011-2013. I tried to ride off the storm but eventually could not stand the slow data speeds from Sprint so I paid the ETF and jumped over to at&t. Tremendous improvement.

So now Sprint has been catching my attention with some great new deals and I am tempted to switch back but the main questions is: has Sprint improved?

Is their data and calling much better? Are data speeds reliable and fast?

I live in NYC and I would appreciate everyone's input. I don't want to switch and later regret it. Please be honest and don't trash Sprint either.

I know they are still working on their network but I would switch back only if their network and data speeds have improved.

Sprint has improved dramatically all over NYC.

I live in Flushing and get 6 Mbps on B25 at my house during peak hours.

A few blocks away on Northern Blvd and 150th Street, I get speeds of 50 Mbps on B41.

I am typing this from a cafe in Bayside, connecting off the Sprint network at 25 Mbps B25.

Before February, this location was 3G only and crawling at about 30 Kbps.

The Bronx, Brooklyn, and Manhattan have similar success stories.

Consider donating to S4GRU to obtain detailed information.

PS To see the benefits of the network, you need a tri-band phone that can access B25, B26, and B41.

• Like 3

The new equipment can handle 6 carriers. The old Samsung equipment can handle two. The huawei can only handle one.

To clarify this post for someone who may be confused, when he says old Samsung equipment he's talking about their dual mode ( WiMAX and LTE) equipment and not their newer 8T8R equipment that Sprint uses in Samsung's NV territory. 

This topic does not require a separate thread.  It belongs in the New York market thread, as the original poster is probably not that interested in network improvements in Kalamazoo, for example.  So, expect this thread to be merged soon.

And let me remind posters that S4GRU is not a Sprint recruitment nor retention site -- that is not your responsibility.  S4GRU is an education site.  The information is available so that readers can make their own informed decisions.  But that just requires some research on their part.

AJ

• Like 1

This is on 65th off of broadway...

Live 8t8r..

20141012_140351.jpg

8t8r2014-10-12%2018.05.46.png

What speed do you get from that 8T8R. I go around that area a lot since the Lincoln square movie theater is right there.

What speed do you get from that 8T8R. I go around that area a lot since the Lincoln square movie theater is right there.

From about a block away yesterday afternoon speeds were in the high 20's. But, one thing that did impress me was how it kept about the same speed even 5-6 blocks away from the site, at about -110dBm speeds were still in the lower 20's and upper teens. Pretty awesome. 

From about a block away yesterday afternoon speeds were in the high 20's. But, one thing that did impress me was how it kept about the same speed even 5-6 blocks away from the site, at about -110dBm speeds were still in lower 20's and upper teens. Pretty awesome. 

I've noticed that about Band 41. I could have speeds in the high 40's and while I drive away from the site, speeds stay in the high 40's as my signal goes down. It doesn't drop significantly until i reach the edge of usability of the signal but even then speeds stay in the mid teens.

Connected to more 8t8r in Times sq, I think someone else had already connected to one of the sites there, regardless,

Here is confirmation...

That was me. I connected to a site coming out the tunnel of 125th on the 1 trainline. It connects almost instantly once you get a whiff of signal. Pretty nice to transition to. I'll try and take a screen cap later.
  • Like 1

One thing I must say, I no longer drop to 3G. I haven't seen 3G in quite a while in either the Bronx or Manhattan.

Same experience in Manhattan and Brooklyn. If i do get 3g it switches pretty quickly back to lte.

• Like 2

One thing I must say, I no longer drop to 3G. I haven't seen 3G in quite a while in either the Bronx or Manhattan.

Thats great, but i can't say the same for me. I still drop to 3G inside my house and fringe low signal areas like basements and building staircases. Beginning to thinks its a nexus 5 scanning problem or B26 has not been optimized around my areas. I don't see much of B26 now that i think about it.

Thats great, but i can't say the same for me. I still drop to 3G inside my house and fringe low signal areas like basements and building staircases. Beginning to thinks its a nexus 5 scanning problem or B26 has not been optimized around my areas. I don't see much of B26 now that i think about it.

In some elevators and deep inside certain places it will drop, but in everyday typical use, my phone switches back to LTE almost instantaneously. They are definitely optimizing everyday...

Also, I still have a Nexus 5 in the family, it really cant compare to the performance of the G3 in terms of scan times. 

In some elevators and deep inside certain places it will drop, but in everyday typical use, my phone switches back to LTE almost instantaneously. They are definitely optimizing everyday...

Also, I still have a Nexus 5 in the family, it really cant compare to the performance of the G3 in terms of scan times.

I agree. My wife has the G3 and its definitely faster latching on to LTE from 3G.

Those places aren't likely to ever see a good LTE signal. It's just not really possible without some sort of indoor solution. You have WiFi in your home I assume?