Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

I can also comfirm the small cell on 42nd street is 2xCA just hit 110mbs.

Sheesh... I need to go into the city and see those speeds for myself.

I switched back to sprint and I gotta say, HUGE improvement. I'm loving it..

• Like 2

Another 3 more small cell added 2x CA band 41 just turned on today.

While riding the bus to south ferry.

1 is at pearl st. and frankfort st

1 is at fulton st. and cliff st.

1 is at water st. and john st.

• Like 1

Last weekend I was around Duane Park 7 pm in a Restaurant with some family.

My cousin is on T-mobile and another on Att. We did a speed test, the results were

Me (Sprint) - 40mb/s T-mobile- 22 mb/s  Att - 16 mb/s

All of course more then enough for any usage but it shows how much improvement Sprint has made.

Last weekend I was around Duane Park 7 pm in a Restaurant with some family.

My cousin is on T-mobile and another on Att. We did a speed test, the results were

Me (Sprint) - 40mb/s T-mobile- 22 mb/s Att - 16 mb/s

All of course more then enough for any usage but it shows how much improvement Sprint has made.

What was the upload?

Anyone know what this means on SCP. Its been showing up for me a ton in Queens and in Manhattan. I'm referring to the two *'s. Ran a speed test after seeing it this time and got over 40Mbps

Also unrelated question: Any one know of the status of the DAS at JFK?

MiOpQJe.png?1

Which terminal? 

Fun fact, while taking my Uber today I found out T-Mobile doesn't have service in the Battery Tunnel. Meanwhile Sprint has Band 26 down here and I'm posting this while on it right now. It might be leaky coax or a DAS because the signal is really strong.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

By design if I recall, same goes for the Queens Midtown Tunnel.

I've never had any luck at Terminal 4 and Terminal 5

I'm flying out of Terminal 4 tomorrow, will check on my devices to see how coverage and speeds are.

For the most part thanks to Hotspot 2.0, I'm on the secure WIFI rather than mobile at most terminals. 

I've never had any luck at Terminal 4 and Terminal 5

I'm sitting in Terminal 4 right now, gate B43, and camped on a perfectly usable B25 signal. Speeds are averaging 13-15mbps on the downlink.

• Like 4

I'm flying out of Terminal 4 tomorrow, will check on my devices to see how coverage and speeds are.

For the most part thanks to Hotspot 2.0, I'm on the secure WIFI rather than mobile at most terminals.

I wish Hotspot 2.0 worked on Nexus/Pixel devices...

Sent from my Pixel XL

• Like 1

"Optimum to deploy fiber capable of 10Gbps internet to all customers"

Thanks Altice!!!

Here's a link to the press release for those wondering: http://altice.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Altice-pr-altice-USA-Unveils-Generation-Gigaspeed.pdf

As I stated in the comments, it's not as if they have to build out fiber from scratch. They more or less just have to replace all the coax from the curb to the premises. That's unless the current fiber they have deployed to the curb is not capable of 10Gbps speeds.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps I'm late to this but when did Optimum start offering 300Mbps residential internet?

About 4-5 weeks ago. I upgraded to the 101 package (which ends up around 120mbs down and 40mb up, loving the upload) for just a few bucks more.

• Like 1

Perhaps I'm late to this but when did Optimum start offering 300Mbps residential internet?

I only noticed that myself when I was watching the knicks game, and I was like oh that's nice!!! They're also going to be doing some fiber to the home upgrades in the next couple years which should be interesting. I upgraded to the 200Mbps package myself. 300 just doesn't give u peak speeds unless its early in the day I found out. There links get saturated as would any connection being hammered by multiple users.

• Like 1

Really wish they were able to offer faster upload speeds. FIOS offers symmetrical download and upload.

I'm pretty certain it's a limitation of the HFC setup that they're using that uploads are pretty low. With the upgrade to FTTH, the upload speeds will probably increase quite a bit.

Really wish they were able to offer faster upload speeds. FIOS offers symmetrical download and upload.

Haha yeah I've got 150mbps symmetrical from Frontier out here in Seattle. Works like a charm - I don't think I've never seen speeds fall below the 150 mark.

Haha yeah I've got 150mbps symmetrical from Frontier out here in Seattle. Works like a charm - I don't think I've never seen speeds fall below the 150 mark.

Yup same with FiOS in Pittsburgh. Never below 150 down. Up is usually 165 or so. I don't think I can ever go back to unsymmetrical internet long term, it's nice being able to host things from a home server (media, VPN, etc).

Now if they would just roll out IPv6...

Sent from my Pixel XL

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Similar Content

• I think it is likely that T-Mobile will be forced to honor any existing US cellular roaming agreements in those areas as a condition of them taking over the spectrum.  In that case, there would be no improvement of service unless T-Mobile improves the service offering in those areas.
    • My understanding is the MNO carriers are the one who have objected to the use of cell phones in commercial planes.  I understand that it ties down too many cell phones at once, thus I can not see this changing. However this depends on how it is structured. Use of a different plmn for satellite service might make it possible for planes only to connect with satellite. Private pilots have been using cellphones in planes for many decades. Far fewer phones at a lower altitude.
    • On Reddit, someone asked (skeptically) if the US Cellular buyout would result in better service.  I'd been pondering this very issue, and decided to cross-post my response here: I've been pondering the question in the title and I've come to the conclusion that the answer is that it's possible. Hear me out. Unlike some of the small carriers that work exclusively with one larger carrier, all three major carriers roam on US Cellular today in at least some areas, so far as I know. If that network ceases to exist, then the carriers would presumably want to recover those areas of lost service by building out natively. Thus, people in those areas who may only have service from US Cellular or from US Cellular and one other may gain competition from other carriers backfilling that loss. How likely is it? I'm not sure. But it's definitely feasible. Most notably, AT&T did their big roaming deal with US Cellular in support of FirstNet in places where they lacked native coverage. They can't just lose a huge chunk of coverage whole still making FirstNet happy; I suspect they'll have to build out and recover at least some of that area, if not most of it. So it'd be indirect, but I could imagine it. - Trip
    • Historically, T-Mobile has been the only carrier contracting with Crown Castle Solutions, at least in Brooklyn. I did a quick count of the ~35 nodes currently marked as "installed" and everything mapped appears to be T-Mobile. However, they have a macro sector pointed directly at this site and seem to continue relying on the older-style DAS nodes. Additionally, there's another Crown Castle Solutions node approved for construction just around the corner, well within range of their macro. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Verizon using a new vendor for their mmWave build, especially since the macro site directly behind this node lacks mmWave/CBRS deployment (limited to LTE plus C-Band). However, opting for a multi-carrier solution here seems unlikely unless another carrier has actually joined the build. This node is equidistant (about five blocks) between two AT&T macro sites, and there are no oDAS nodes deployed nearby. Although I'm not currently mapping AT&T, based on CellMapper, it appears to be right on cell edge for both sites. Regardless, it appears that whoever is deploying is planning for a significant build. There are eight Crown Castle Solutions nodes approved for construction in a 12-block by 2-block area.
    • Starlink (1900mhz) for T-Mobile, AST SpaceMobile (700mhz and 850mhz) for AT&T, GlobalStar (unknown frequency) for Apple, Iridium (unknown frequency) for Samsung, and AST SpaceMobile (850mhz) for Verizon only work on frequency bands the carrier has licensed nationwide.  These systems broadcast and listen on multiple frequencies at the same time in areas much wider than normal cellular market license areas.  They would struggle with only broadcasting certain frequencies only in certain markets so instead they require a nationwide license.  With the antennas that are included on the satellites, they have range of cellular band frequencies they support and can have different frequencies with different providers in each supported country.  The cellular bands in use are typically 5mhz x 5mhz bands (37.5mbps total for the entire cell) or smaller so they do not have a lot of data bandwidth for the satellite band covering a very large plot of land with potentially millions of customers in a single large cellular satellite cell.  I have heard that each of Starlink's cells sharing that bandwidth will cover 75 or more miles. Satellite cellular connectivity will be set to the lowest priority connection just before SOS service on supported mobile devices and is made available nationwide in supported countries.  The mobile device rules pushed by the provider decide when and where the device is allowed to connect to the satellite service and what services can be provided over that connection.  The satellite has a weak receiving antenna and is moving very quickly so any significant obstructions above your mobile device antenna could cause it not to work.  All the cellular satellite services are starting with texting only and some of them like Apple's solution only support a predefined set of text messages.  Eventually it is expected that a limited number of simultaneous voice calls (VoLTE) will run on these per satellite cell.  Any spare data will then be available as an extremely slow LTE data connection as it could potentially be shared by millions of people.  Satellite data from the way these are currently configured will likely never work well enough to use unless you are in a very remote location.