Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

6 hours ago, Bob Newhart said:

That is what John Saw said. He was very specific.

IF the area has roaming enabled. It will use LTE on T-mobile and other partners.

I guess they really want to reclaim the channels used for EVDO.

Hoping roaming will be treated as native on T-Mobile.

I think it will be I haven’t heard that it wasn’t going to be. Now my question is, will Sprint be able to tell is someone is abusing the roaming especially if T-Mobile is offering a better data experience and that use forces their phone to stay on roaming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, derrph said:

I think it will be I haven’t heard that it wasn’t going to be. Now my question is, will Sprint be able to tell is someone is abusing the roaming especially if T-Mobile is offering a better data experience and that use forces their phone to stay on roaming?

It would be no different than people who are in US Cellular markets today. I'm sure you would still receive a warning for excessive roaming.

Also, I doubt 99% of cellphone users even know how to force their phone to roam. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, derrph said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, greenbastard said:

It would be no different than people who are in US Cellular markets today. I'm sure you would still receive a warning for excessive roaming.

Also, I doubt 99% of cellphone users even know how to force their phone to roam. 

It has been explicitly stated it would be extended, not limited roaming. USCC is extended LTE, and T-Mobile will be as well. There aren't any hard limits, though I sure if would be flagged if you use it excessively.

On 8/4/2018 at 12:45 AM, Bob Newhart said:

That is what John Saw said. He was very specific.

IF the area has roaming enabled. It will use LTE on T-mobile and other partners.

Is there a page where they break this down or where I can see the transcript of his statements? Was it part of the fiscal report?

8 hours ago, shannonbrian said:

This tmobile roaming on all bands or just 1 or 2.  What about Ca on 2 different bands same time on sprint phone ?

I don't think any bands would be blocked, but CA while roaming using Sprint handsets would be very unlikely. 

• Like 1

This tmobile roaming on all bands or just 1 or 2.  What about Ca on 2 different bands same time on sprint phone ?
I imagine if the phone supports it, and it's not throttled, they would allow CA (though T-Mobile could disable it). When roaming internationally, my Pixel engaged CA in multiple countries.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 1:21 PM, Dkoellerwx said:

At this point, in most cases I would suspect an 8T8R or 16 port is most likely, but given your area they could do MIMO. 

in my market i know of one 8T8R site in town...but only 2 carrier aggregation last time i checked...

Correction:  Per: New York Post.    
I'd still like to see Sprint give a shot on their own with recent numbers and network advancements. Just to see what they can really do , but it may be too late at this point

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I understand your hope.   But I don't want them to do it alone... They have tried and failed on too many different network "work"/upgrades and rarely actually complete any of it.   T-Mobile actually does what they promise.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tyroned3222 said:

I'd still like to see Sprint give a shot on their own with recent numbers and network advancements. Just to see what they can really do , but it may be too late at this point

They can 100% go at it alone, but I kinda understand Softbank point of view, they do not want to go on a 3-5 year journey for 30% marketshare.

• Like 2

I understand your hope.   But I don't want them to do it alone... They have tried and failed on too many different network "work"/upgrades and rarely actually complete any of it.   T-Mobile actually does what they promise.   
I agree, but this is the first we are actually seeing Sprint put money behind this network and rootmetrics is already showing early signs of Sprint improving drastically.. and I'm sure more will come soon

Can't say I've noticed that in the Nebraska/Iowa market...

I have noticed though that the phone will jump more quickly to LTE roaming instead of searching and searching and searching when you leave native Sprint service area...

Edit: I am noticing drops down to 3G for sure!

So, if this merger goes through and it seems that it will, the New T-Mobile will have a very nice swath of 30x30MHz of 1900MHz. However it seems to me that they will have to go through a lot of swaps again to consolidate it into continuous spectrum. Are there any other spectrum swaps that they might do to simplify things? Like lets' say AWS for PCS? 

1 hour ago, BlueAngel said:

I've been dropping to 3G lately for no apparent reason in places I have never in the past, hoping that means they're upgrading things.

I began to notice this yesterday. Hopefully they’ll finish whatever they’re doing quickly—this lack or reliability is a bit disappointing. 

• Like 1