Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

1 hour ago, Dkoellerwx said:

I understand, the DC metro should be further along than what it seems. But you have reported some pretty fantastic upgrades in at least part of the metro. B41 is on pretty much every site around you, however a lot of it is Clear equipment, which is hit and miss on performance. 

Sprint is on an upgrade blitz right now in the Nebraska/Iowa markets, northern California markets, central Missouri (plus some of Kansas City and St. Louis). They can't be everywhere all at once but clearly they're still working on upgrades. Sites that have been sorely needing B41 are finally getting it all across Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska. I mention those because we have active members in those areas that are able to report. 

True. You’re right. There has been some noticeable progress in certain areas of DC, and I’ve been able to map that walking around town.

It’s still frustrating though because I can readily tell where the money hasn’t been spent to pull out the old clearwire gear or where I’m on congested Band 25 outside of the Downtown core area because they haven’t upgraded a tower with Band 41 yet.

We’ll see what they say this week.

4 hours ago, RedSpark said:

True. You’re right. There has been some noticeable progress in certain areas of DC, and I’ve been able to map that walking around town.

It’s still frustrating though because I can readily tell where the money hasn’t been spent to pull out the old clearwire gear or where I’m on congested Band 25 outside of the Downtown core area because they haven’t upgraded a tower with Band 41 yet.

We’ll see what they say this week.

Only a handful of Clear sites per market are getting upgrades to 8T8R or full build this year. The ones that I've seen movement on have all been co-located with Sprint already, consolidating equipment onto one tier while also getting the 3rd carrier on air (though some Clear sites have been updated to 3 carriers, depends on the equipment).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Only a handful of Clear sites per market are getting upgrades to 8T8R or full build this year. The ones that I've seen movement on have all been co-located with Sprint already, consolidating equipment onto one tier while also getting the 3rd carrier on air (though some Clear sites have been updated to 3 carriers, depends on the equipment).

Semi-related question: what's involved in getting the third carrier online? And will Sprint move forward with four carrier aggregation that they had indicated they would eventually deploy. 

22 minutes ago, Thomas L. said:

Semi-related question: what's involved in getting the third carrier online? And will Sprint move forward with four carrier aggregation that they had indicated they would eventually deploy. 

Not entirely sure what you're asking. Getting the 3rd carrier online on Clearwire sites, or just in general? 

We do know that 4th, 5th, and even 6th(?) carriers are online in extremely high traffic areas of the Seattle market. I don't know if they have been identified outside of that market. Devices do support 4, even 5xCA. When or if that will be activated, I'm not sure. 

10 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Bummer. I guess we’re in for a wait here then.

Do you think it’s more likely at this point that when the clearwire gear is ultimately pulled that it will be replaced with Nokia Massive MIMO equipment (now that it’s passed through the FCC) than 8T8R?

Is Sprint applying the same “save site” analysis to Massive MIMO deployments?

2 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Bummer. I guess we’re in for a wait here then.

Do you think it’s more likely at this point that when the clearwire gear is ultimately pulled that it will be replaced with Nokia Massive MIMO equipment (now that it’s passed through the FCC) than 8T8R?

Is Sprint applying the same “save site” analysis to Massive MIMO deployments?

At this point, in most cases I would suspect an 8T8R or 16 port is most likely, but given your area they could do MIMO. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2018 at 11:58 AM, RedSpark said:

Hopefully Sprint demonstrates a similar commitment to its own capex during its Earnings Call this week.

They did so last quarter??? And we've seen ample anecdotal evidence that they're spending in user tracked markets here.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mr.Nuke said:

They did so last quarter??? And we've seen ample anecdotal evidence that they're spending in user tracked markets here.

The major bump took effect last quarter?

This is what it said in the Investor Update for Fiscal 4Q17 (Page 16):

Cash capital expenditures were $2.7 billion in the quarter compared to $1.6 billion in the year- ago period and $3.2 billion in the prior quarter. The year-over-year increase was driven by higher spending on leased devices as well as higher capital expenditures for network equipment. Sequentially, the decrease was driven by seasonally lower spending on leased devices. Leased device capital expenditures now include purchases in both direct and indirect channels.

Looking at the Financial & Operating Information for Fiscal 4Q17 (Wireless SoP Tab at the bottom), when it’s broken into “Network and Other” and “Leased Devices”, it doesn’t seem like much of an increase in network capex to me. Am I reading this right?

Edited by RedSpark
Including more info.

38 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

That’s quite a read! Nice find.

Crazy story how this all came together.

46 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

One of the amusing things in these merger document disclosures is trying to figure out who the unnamed parties are. In this case Company A, Shareholder X, Company B and Company C. Not too many clues this time, though I imagine one of the companies was almost certainly Dish Network.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rawvega said:

One of the amusing things in these merger document disclosures is trying to figure out who the unnamed parties are. In this case Company A, Shareholder X, Company B and Company C. Not too many clues this time, though I imagine one of the companies was almost certainly Dish Network.

My guess would be Charter, Comcast and Dish.

For Shareholder X: Would Warren Buffett of Berkshire Hathaway or John Malone of Liberty Media (depending on their holdings) be possibilities?

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 11:12 PM, RedSpark said:

8T8R in the Woods?

An S1000 at an old radios/sprint shack location?

Yes, GMO turnover to full build on Old Highway 90; It is almost as rural as it sounds. 

The beach area is limited to two carriers of band 41 mini macros, with 1 of 2 ports attached at the antennas on 6 of ~15 sites along the grand strand.

Meanwhile inland a bit, The s1k is on top of the now Sprint location. It covers half of the parking lot of a shopping center. If you drive by the store the Airrave 3 and the s1k crush your connection trying to hand off to and fro. Good experience.

I have no idea who is driving the bus here.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bob Newhart said:

I haven't heard of anyone yet. Update your PRL, maybe there is an update?

hmm that makes me think...what about areas within sprints own service foot print that have either really poor service or just regular verizon roaming?

23 hours ago, danlodish345 said:

hmm that makes me think...what about areas within sprints own service foot print that have either really poor service or just regular verizon roaming?

If roaming is allowed in that area and your phone does not have Sprint LTE, then it will roam on T-Mobile (or other partner) LTE.

With this roaming agreement, If I lose LTE I’ll pick just pick up a Tmo LTE signal instead of dropping to Sprint 3G? 

• Like 1

If roaming is allowed in that area and your phone does not have Sprint LTE, then it will roam on T-Mobile (or other partner) LTE.

I m glad to hear that:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, derrph said:

With this roaming agreement, If I lose LTE I’ll pick just pick up a Tmo LTE signal instead of dropping to Sprint 3G? 

That is what John Saw said. He was very specific.

IF the area has roaming enabled. It will use LTE on T-mobile and other partners.

5 hours ago, Bob Newhart said:

That is what John Saw said. He was very specific.

IF the area has roaming enabled. It will use LTE on T-mobile and other partners.

Will it be limited in terms of how much you can use?