Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

12 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

The 3.7-3.8GHz block will be cleared by Dec 2021. The C-Band auction will be over this week or at the most  next. The winners of that block will probably start deploying hardware and testing long before then. I foresee that Verizon and to a lesser extent AT&T will be the big winners of that block. 

It'll be interesting to see what C-band coverage lights up in December. Given that C-Band coverage is significantly lower per site than 2.5, I'm going to hazard a guess at 50MM pops covered on initial launch, with 100MM by mid-2022. Not nothing, but I think that in terms of coverage T-Mobile will maintain a 1.5 year lead until they decide they've upgraded enough sites. So we're talking 200MM pops covered in mid-2023 for C-Band.

5 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

When you say center, are you talking about the RRUs? The Nokia M-MIMO B/N41 is the center antenna is it not?

Yes, sorry, the RRUs. Antennas (looking straight on) are 12/71 on the left, 41 middle, 2/25/66 on the right.

Interestingly, there was a lot of interference around it. The video feed was really laggy. And when the drone was directly in front of the MMIMO unit it started reporting strong interference warnings. The video feed is 2.4 Gh so I guess it's close enough to 2.5 to cause issues.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ingenium said:

Yes, sorry, the RRUs. Antennas (looking straight on) are 12/71 on the left, 41 middle, 2/25/66 on the right.

Interestingly, there was a lot of interference around it. The video feed was really laggy. And when the drone was directly in front of the MMIMO unit it started reporting strong interference warnings. The video feed is 2.4 Gh so I guess it's close enough to 2.5 to cause issues.

Yeah I would not recommend flying directly in front of cell sites. I tried that on a site in Colorado and got incredible interference. It actually stalled completely and only the return to start function would work.

• Like 2

Went into the Sprint/T-Mobile store on the HQ campus in Overland Park today to get my screen replaced. While there, they also swapped out my sim card that came with the phone, to a new T-Mobile sim card.  Now I see T-Mobile on my screen instead of Sprint.

11 hours ago, kckid said:

Went into the Sprint/T-Mobile store on the HQ campus in Overland Park today to get my screen replaced. While there, they also swapped out my sim card that came with the phone, to a new T-Mobile sim card.  Now I see T-Mobile on my screen instead of Sprint.

Welcome to TNX! I've been happy with T-Mobile since I got the new sim a few months ago.

34 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Welcome to TNX! I've been happy with T-Mobile since I got the new sim a few months ago.

For anyone who is unhappy after being moved over to T-Mobile, I was moved back to Sprint by the retentions department. That what I'd recommend anyone do who sees a decline in service with TNX/TNA. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RAvirani said:

For anyone who is unhappy after being moved over to T-Mobile, I was moved back to Sprint by the retentions department. That what I'd recommend anyone do who sees a decline in service with TNX/TNA. 

I need to go into a store (phone calls because i am still "sprint" are a joke, at least back when i tried a year of tmo their CS was the bright spot) anyway, and look for a few new phones for my inlaws..  I will probably need to block out a few hours of time.. because we are going to have a good "come to understanding" talk about a few things..

Over the last month (granted I havent been out as much, work has slowed) it seems to be a bit better.. my wife still has this one hole in a certain spot.. which makes no sense, because I know where the towers are.. unless its right in that "sour" spot between towers.. with sprint, that spot wasnt an issue

6 hours ago, RAvirani said:

I was wondering was that a 5G phone or an non-5G one.?

Just curious because some people are claiming ROAMAHOME with BARRAH is impossible on a 5G phone.   Some say you need BAR5G but others say that falls off after a week.

Edited by comintel

9 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

I am very content with T-Mobile service around the Melbourne FL area. I will be moving to the Gainesville FL area so my opinion might change.😄

T-Mobile is pretty solid in the Gainesville area. You should have no issues unless you’re out in the boonies. 

4 hours ago, 1dante said:

T-Mobile is pretty solid in the Gainesville area. You should have no issues unless you’re out in the boonies. 

143rd st and 31st Ave. Coverage maps show coverage as fair. I will be taking 3 phones with me each with a sim from the three different providers to test.

Edited by bigsnake49

On 1/9/2021 at 1:23 AM, iansltx said:

Looks like the 200MM coverage number is still on: https://uk.pcmag.com/networking/130839/t-mobile-4-million-sprint-customers-are-now-on-our-network

Was rather surprised how few Sprint customers have migrated over at this point. Given the spectrum thinning T-Mobile has been doing on the Sprint side, I'd think there'd be more folks on TNA or TNX, particularly with the push for new phones.

It's good to hear them quoting ~300 Mbps averages on mid-band though, indicating that sites that haven't finished optimization (or running backhaul) won't stay that way.

We got the TNX email, and started to do so when I had to go to the store to get a new SIM for an ebay'd phone.  The system actually kicked out a notice that it may not be the best option for us at this time and the rep recommended staying on sprint for now.

We've got an excellent sprint signal at our home (180mbps in the basement mechanical room....) and have both been working from home for a while, so that's probably why.

of course, if I go 1000 ft away into the small town I live by, lots of signal issues.

On 1/13/2021 at 12:35 PM, BlueAngel said:

Have you or anyone who has done the TNX sim swap noticed if your video speeds are throttled or not? I have seen a few examples of people switching to the TNX sim and being throttled to 2.3 on fast while getting over 100 on Speedtest .

8 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

143rd st and 31st Ave. Coverage maps show coverage as fair. I will be taking 3 phones with me each with a sim from the three different providers to test.

Verizon and AT&T are the more superior networks in the Gainesville area. Especially when you get out of the city limits to the outskirts...meaning little towns like Alachua, Williston, Newberry, Hawthorne, and Archer. 

48 minutes ago, Cardsfan96 said:

Have you or anyone who has done the TNX sim swap noticed if your video speeds are throttled or not? I have seen a few examples of people switching to the TNX sim and being throttled to 2.3 on fast while getting over 100 on Speedtest .

Same speeds I was getting on sprint so 8 down on fast.com.

• Like 1

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/network/5g-best-coverage-ericsson-nokia

Looks like T-Mobile is happy enough with both their equipment vendors to continue with 'em. No Samsung, but that was a Sprint vendor anyway, and I guess they're busy providing equipment for VZW.

I wonder if there are any geographies where Sprint and T-Mobile networks already use the same vendors. Definitely not here...Sprint equipment is Ericsson and T-Mobile is Nokia.

2 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

Same speeds I was getting on sprint so 8 down on fast.com.

The example I’ve seen is on the Everything Data plan. Normally no throttle at all if I get 50 on speedtest I get 50 on fast. Another guy in this forum, switched one of his lines to TNX and went from no throttle to 2.3 max.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonnycando said:

I have new sim running balls to the wall....at least no throttling i can detect LTR with a two bar signal hits 20 down...upload is paltry 1.5 though as you would expect with soft signal.

What testing app are you using?

21 minutes ago, Cardsfan96 said:

The example I’ve seen is on the Everything Data plan. Normally no throttle at all if I get 50 on speedtest I get 50 on fast. Another guy in this forum, switched one of his lines to TNX and went from no throttle to 2.3 max.

I could be wrong, pretty sure I was getting 8 down on Sprint. 

On 1/13/2021 at 7:58 PM, bigsnake49 said:

I am very content with T-Mobile service around the Melbourne FL area. I will be moving to the Gainesville FL area so my opinion might change.😄

Your opinion won't change. Tmobile is very good in Gainesville Fl. And lots on n41 is online. They have 20mhz of b66, 20mhz of b2, 10mhz of n71, 5mhz of b71 and b12, and 60mhz of n41 as well as 40mhz of b41 online in Gainesville. 

4 hours ago, 1dante said:

Verizon and AT&T are the more superior networks in the Gainesville area. Especially when you get out of the city limits to the outskirts...meaning little towns like Alachua, Williston, Newberry, Hawthorne, and Archer. 

Your wrong about Williston. Tmobile just gave Williston n41, b41, b71 n71 and b66. Previously it was 5mhz of b12 and 10mhz of b2. Believe me when I found it a few days ago I was shocked. And yes they are now faster than Verizon in Williston. I have all 3. ATT also upgraded to 5G almost around the same time.

They routed the radios thru the 600mhz antenna and when the do that b2 and b66 gets a 20-30% coverage increase from what it was with the older equipment. Then standalone n71 goes further even more than b71.