Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

There are some good details in the linked location below as to the various PLMN's being deployed and what they represent.

It seems that plausibly (credit Jamal Baker) that::

312-250 = Harmonized Sprint equipment in areas with otherwise poor TMobile towers, to be eventually converted to T-Mobile equipment

312-490 = Towers to eventually be removed, sold to Dish, or converted to all N41.

Edited by comintel
Further typo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, comintel said:

There are some good details in the linked location below as to the various PLMN's being deployed and what they represent.

It seems that plausibly (credit Jamal Baker) that::

312-250 = Harmonized Sprint equipment in areas with otherwise poor TMobile towers, to be eventually converted to T-Mobile equipment

312-490 = Towers to eventually be removed, sold to Dish, or converted to all N41.

What about 312-530?

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 7:14 AM, jbahlman said:

Has anyone had issues with calls that connect but either one side or both can't hear.  Over the last week i have had several times with my wife and my son that this has happened.  One time rebooting my phone fixed it and another time my son rebooted his phone.  I live in Northern Va. Each time we have tried multiple calls and no luck.  But so far it has only happened with calls between us not with work or other calls.

I posted it over on the s20 page... Because I cant decide if its a network issue or a phone model issue..

All our s20s are having issues... havent heard if the 2 kids with i-phone 11s are having the issue.. but the 2 ultras, 1 + and 1 regular are... and its becoming more than just an inconvenience... its possibly costing me money (phone used for work)   

Have you randomly had VM with no call??

Just Saturday my wife called me.. didnt ring on my end, but looking at her phone history.. there it is, NOTHING on mine.. She said it rang the 5 or 6 times then to VM.

I shouldnt have to wonder or restart my phone everyday hoping to fix some "issue" that I am sure is known by now

1 hour ago, floorguy said:

I posted it over on the s20 page... Because I cant decide if its a network issue or a phone model issue..

All our s20s are having issues... havent heard if the 2 kids with i-phone 11s are having the issue.. but the 2 ultras, 1 + and 1 regular are... and its becoming more than just an inconvenience... its possibly costing me money (phone used for work)   

Have you randomly had VM with no call??

Just Saturday my wife called me.. didnt ring on my end, but looking at her phone history.. there it is, NOTHING on mine.. She said it rang the 5 or 6 times then to VM.

I shouldnt have to wonder or restart my phone everyday hoping to fix some "issue" that I am sure is known by now

I believe it is more network. I have a S20+ and my wife has an A71 5G. We both experience it at different times and a reboot fixed the issue. Not sure if this helps.

5 hours ago, stlman314 said:

I believe it is more network. I have a S20+ and my wife has an A71 5G. We both experience it at different times and a reboot fixed the issue. Not sure if this helps.

I have a s20+, my wife has a s20, and my son has an s9.  All have had issues at different times.  I am more inclined to believe it is a network issue.   Usually a reboot fixed it.

I guess I'm just surprised at how often I'm now on 2.5 on TMobile for LTE  (not 5G).  When My Note 10+ was first moved over to the Tmo network I never saw any Sprint bands for months.  Then band 41 began to appear now and again and now I'm pretty much parked on tmo B41 both at home and at work.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JonnygATL said:

I guess I'm just surprised at how often I'm now on 2.5 on TMobile for LTE  (not 5G).  When My Note 10+ was first moved over to the Tmo network I never saw any Sprint bands for months.  Then band 41 began to appear now and again and now I'm pretty much parked on tmo B41 both at home and at work.  

Are you getting good speeds and service now?

3 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

can't wait for this in my market.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

We're talking about this exact same thing over in the NYC thread too. If I put my phone in LTE only mode I get parked on Band 41 almost instantly in my home. Speeds are around 60-80Mbps down and 6Mbps up. I'm curious if their intent is to just keep it as a capacity layer to throw users onto or if they'll seek authorization to aggregate it with their other bands to boost peak speeds as well. If they choose the latter then they'd have more than enough spectrum dedicated to LTE in my market to handle the influx of Sprint users, especially after they shut down HSPA nationwide early next year.

In NYC (without shutting down the Sprint LTE network), they'd be able to do:

20MHz Band 41 + 20MHz Band 4/66 + 15MHz Band 2 + 5MHz Band 4 + 5MHz Band 12 or 5MHz Band 71.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

We're talking about this exact same thing over in the NYC thread too. If I put my phone in LTE only mode I get parked on Band 41 almost instantly in my home. Speeds are around 60-80Mbps down and 6Mbps up. I'm curious if their intent is to just keep it as a capacity layer to throw users onto or if they'll seek authorization to aggregate it with their other bands to boost peak speeds as well. If they choose the latter then they'd have more than enough spectrum dedicated to LTE in my market to handle the influx of Sprint users, especially after they shut down HSPA nationwide early next year.

20MHz Band 41 + 20MHz Band 4/66 + 15MHz Band 2 + 5MHz Band 4 + 5MHz Band 12 or 5MHz Band 71.

My speeds here in the Big Peach on Tmo B41 LTE are about exactly in line with what you're experiencing in the Big Apple. See attached. 

Screenshot_20201202-162005_SignalCheck Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20201202-161958_Service mode RIL.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, JonnygATL said:

My speeds here in the Big Peach on Tmo B41 LTE are about exactly in line with what you're experiencing in the Big Apple. See attached. 

Screenshot_20201202-162005_SignalCheck Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20201202-161958_Service mode RIL.jpg

Having issues attaching the third shot from Speedtest app.

3 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

I had a weird issue when trying to create that previous post, hence its messy nature.  My apologies.  I'm for some reason not able to simply create a new post.  The system thinks I'm trying to modify my previous post...which I'm not.  But I can't find a way around it. 

11 minutes ago, 1dante said:

Saw B41 for the first time since being on TNX. Surprisingly, it was in Lake City, FL. I was at a red light...didn’t think to do a Speedtest. 

I just got a S20 FE with TNX and I commonly will grab Sprint B41 in Lake City right near I-75 and Hwy 90 and also by I-75 at Ellisville.  However it only seems to connect to a single carrier where my Legacy Sprint V40 will grab 2 or 3 so I get faster download Speeds on My Sprint Device.  There is a T-Mobile site with N71 a mile and a half away from that site, but my TNX phone will prefer the Sprint B41 when it has a good signal strength.

30 minutes ago, jhman101 said:

I just got a S20 FE with TNX and I commonly will grab Sprint B41 in Lake City right near I-75 and Hwy 90 and also by I-75 at Ellisville.  However it only seems to connect to a single carrier where my Legacy Sprint V40 will grab 2 or 3 so I get faster download Speeds on My Sprint Device.  There is a T-Mobile site with N71 a mile and a half away from that site, but my TNX phone will prefer the Sprint B41 when it has a good signal strength.

I was definitely at the light coming off of I-75 to get onto highway 90. I noticed that I had a full bars so I was curious as to what band I was connected to....sure enough it was B41! 

30 minutes ago, jhman101 said:

I was definitely at the light coming off of I-75 to get onto highway 90. I noticed that I had a full bars so I was curious as to what band I was connected to....sure enough it was B41! 

6 hours ago, ZERO_COOL said:

can't wait for this in my market.

T-Mobile is moving extremely fast in Houston. Almost the entire I-45 corridor between The Woodlands and downtown is covered with native T-Mobile B41. By comparison, it took Sprint ages to get this much coverage in town. The scary thing is that they've only added B41 to maybe 1/3rd of their towers, so coverage will only improve.

There's still a lot of load balancing and optimization needed. B41 falls off too quick in favor of B66/2. Also, active data sessions prevent phones from moving to B41. This was an issue early on for Sprint, but they eventually got the network to working correct. 

18 hours ago, greenbastard said:

T-Mobile is moving extremely fast in Houston.

According to Neville, T-Mobile is touching about 2,000 sites per month:

T-Mobile launched nationwide 5G about a year ago using its 600 MHz spectrum. Since the closure of the Sprint merger on April 1, it’s been aggressively adding 2.5 GHz to its repertoire, with an average 2,000 sites a month going into the upgrade process. By the end of the year, it expects to cover 100 million people with the 2.5 GHz deployment.

By the end of 2021, it should be able to cover 200 million people with midband 5G.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RedSpark said:

It is interesting to note that I have even seen a few massive mimo panels on several Tmo towers in the ABQ market. I believed it would have been the last to see it. My wife has an 12pro now so maybe ill be able to see if it pops up.

• Like 2

Not sure if this is the correct place to add this question, so if this question needs to go somewhere else, please move it to the correct discussion thread...

I am planning on adding my wife to my Wireless Mobile account. So my question are the following... 

First, if I require a new wireless mobile plan, can I get a T-Mobile plan? Or am I stuck with whatever remaining Sprint plans still exist?

Second, if I am able to get a new T-Mobile wireless plan, I can get it without having to 'port my current Sprint phone numbers over to T-Mobile'?