Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

21 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

Your wrong about Williston. Tmobile just gave Williston n41, b41, b71 n71 and b66. Previously it was 5mhz of b12 and 10mhz of b2. Believe me when I found it a few days ago I was shocked. And yes they are now faster than Verizon in Williston. I have all 3. ATT also upgraded to 5G almost around the same time.

They routed the radios thru the 600mhz antenna and when the do that b2 and b66 gets a 20-30% coverage increase from what it was with the older equipment. Then standalone n71 goes further even more than b71.

Hey, Terrell, are you on a sprint plan or a T-Mobile plan?

11 hours ago, Terrell352 said:

Your wrong about Williston. Tmobile just gave Williston n41, b41, b71 n71 and b66. Previously it was 5mhz of b12 and 10mhz of b2. Believe me when I found it a few days ago I was shocked. And yes they are now faster than Verizon in Williston. I have all 3. ATT also upgraded to 5G almost around the same time.

They routed the radios thru the 600mhz antenna and when the do that b2 and b66 gets a 20-30% coverage increase from what it was with the older equipment. Then standalone n71 goes further even more than b71.

That’s great news. I’ve only been on TNX since November. I haven’t been to Williston or any of other other surrounding towns to try the network. Plus I’m still on an iPhone 8 Plus😂

12 hours ago, Terrell352 said:

That was a early issue with the first people like me that got on TNX they have now corrected the issue.

Well people with legacy unlimited plans with no throttle when switching to TNX are getting video throttle to 480p. T-Mobile is screwing us legacy plan customers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Terrell352 said:

Sprint plan. Tmobile plans are outdated and now the worst in the industry in my opinion. 

Compared to Verizon and AT&T? T-Mobile is definitely still very competitive, especially after figuring in taxes and fees (which are included with Magenta and Magenta Plus plans, but extra on all currently-sold Verizon and AT&T plans.) A 4-line Magenta plan is $140, tax included. AT&T's "Unlimited Extra" (the mid-range plan) is $160 + tax, and Verizon's mid-range plans (Play More and Do More) are both $180 + tax. The extra perks between them could be debated as to which are better, but unless one of them stacks up perfectly with what you'd pay for anyways and the others don't, none of them are $20+/month better than the others.

On 1/14/2021 at 10:20 PM, Terrell352 said:

That was a early issue with the first people like me that got on TNX they have now corrected the issue.

The issue has not been corrected on plans that had no throttle. People on Everything Data that get TNX with go from unthrottled to a 480p 2.3 mbps cap on video.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cardsfan96 said:

The issue has not been corrected on plans that had no throttle. People on Everything Data that get TNX with go from unthrottled to a 480p 2.3 mbps cap on video.

The T-Mobile support site and Netflix’ FAST App confirms 1.5mbs for 480p. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cardsfan96 said:

1.5 is bare minimum to load 480p. 2.3 will only load up to 480p.

Personally 1.5 MB’s is perfectly adequate. Others disagree. 

F37612CC-E7BB-4134-B80C-89422C597EBA.png

24 minutes ago, schmidtj said:

Personally 1.5 MB’s is perfectly adequate. Others disagree. 

F37612CC-E7BB-4134-B80C-89422C597EBA.png

My whole point is 480p on the plan I’m on is not acceptable. On a sprint sim I’ll get no throttle at all if I TNX I’ll get throttled to 2.3. 

On 1/17/2021 at 4:46 PM, Cardsfan96 said:

My whole point is 480p on the plan I’m on is not acceptable. On a sprint sim I’ll get no throttle at all if I TNX I’ll get throttled to 2.3. 

I would say given the Everything Data plan wording and the premium price paid for Everything Data, you should have unthrottled.  If true, for me personally, this makes the purchase of any 5G phone from T-Mobile undesirable given that TNX is required to get 5G at all.  Where I live inside the Columbus Ohio beltway, the speed ranking is Sprint, then AT&T, then T-Mobile, then Verizon.  T-Mobile has improved, but not enough to change their ranking.  T-Mobile would likely win if they converted one of the two Sprint only sites near me to T-Mobile (no permits seen).

The throttling should be validated against the physical network.  What happens if only band b25 is allowed so it is only on Sprint even with the TNX network?

57 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

I would say given the Everything Data plan wording and the premium price paid for Everything Data, you should have unthrottled.  If true, for me personally, this makes the purchase of any 5G phone from T-Mobile undesirable given that TNX is required to get 5G at all.  Where I live inside the Columbus Ohio beltway, the speed ranking is Sprint, then AT&T, then T-Mobile, then Verizon.  T-Mobile has improved, but not enough to change their ranking.  T-Mobile would likely win if they converted one of the two Sprint only sites near me to T-Mobile (no permits seen).

The throttling should be validated against the physical network.  What happens if only band b25 is allowed so it is only on Sprint even with the TNX network?

I agree. What differentiates the Everything Data plan from kickstart except hotspot and unthrottled data? 

As for 5g I can get NSA 5g on a sprint sim (tna) but cannot get SA 5g unless I TNX and get throttled to 2.3 on video... Crazy.

On 1/18/2021 at 6:45 PM, dkyeager said:

I would say given the Everything Data plan wording and the premium price paid for Everything Data, you should have unthrottled.  

The fine print actually gave Sprint the ability to throttle those legacy plans. People kept saying there was also no deprioritization, but the wording was there to implement one at any given moment.

Ever since Sprint got rid of 2 year upgrade options, that plan has not been worth it. Anyone still holding on to that plan is just throwing money away. T-Mobile will likely not honor something that was never promised. They've done this in the past when they changed the unlimited roaming in Mexico and Canada to 5 GB.

If you still have that plan, I recommend dumping it.

Edited by greenbastard

Ookla released their U.S. Q4 report for 2020. They're still providing separate results for Sprint and T-Mobile's networks until the network integration is complete.

https://www.speedtest.net/global-index/united-states

They revealed that AT&T has the fastest 5G network in the U.S. currently but has the lowest "time spent on 5G" out of all of the carriers at 26%. Verizon surpassed AT&T at 29.6% but is now the slowest carrier in the U.S. (even slower than Sprint).

T-Mobile has the lowest latency and highest "consistency score" out of all of the carriers tested and their time spent on 5G is more than twice that of Verizon and AT&T at 64.1%. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, superbluepsd said:

If I order an S21 thru Sprint which comes with 260R070-TMO sim will it be allowed on TMO 5G SA?   I see some reports of Sprint users not being allowed on TMO SA

I was wondering that also.

12 hours ago, superbluepsd said:

If I order an S21 thru Sprint which comes with 260R070-TMO sim will it be allowed on TMO 5G SA?   I see some reports of Sprint users not being allowed on TMO SA

Unless something has changed, NO. SA 5G requires the T-Mobile R15 sim, even for T-Mobile customers, from what i've seen.