Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

Addendum:  I got last night's OpenCellID data and it shows additional sites across the country with 312250, but the data is very spotty.  Pretty sure I'm the only person in the DC metro area who has contributed 312250 data to OpenCellID based on what I'm seeing.

The Mozilla Location Service data doesn't have anything for 312250 at all.  I contribute there as well, so not sure where that data went.

- Trip

• Like 1

Interesting finding in my neck of the woods in Shentel Area. Picked up the new iPhone 12 Pro yesterday. Speeds are pretty decent for the time being. One thing I did notice is that it says Sprint/T-Mobile 5G when doing speed test. If I use my phone as a hotspot and connect my old iPhone XS Max to it and do a speed test it comes up as T-Mobile as the network. 

5G Speed Test and showing Sprint/T-Mobile 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qVHpOV1pUiQSEJLfLx-lasgZq7c3KFFz/view?usp=drivesdk

Hot Spot Speed Test showing T-Mobile

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Iek2VdxhTtWkGcX_jcNGfb8Vf-bE7x8F/view?usp=drivesdk

1 hour ago, JDP121 said:

Interesting finding in my neck of the woods in Shentel Area. Picked up the new iPhone 12 Pro yesterday. Speeds are pretty decent for the time being. One thing I did notice is that it says Sprint/T-Mobile 5G when doing speed test. If I use my phone as a hotspot and connect my old iPhone XS Max to it and do a speed test it comes up as T-Mobile as the network. 

5G Speed Test and showing Sprint/T-Mobile 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qVHpOV1pUiQSEJLfLx-lasgZq7c3KFFz/view?usp=drivesdk

Hot Spot Speed Test showing T-Mobile

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Iek2VdxhTtWkGcX_jcNGfb8Vf-bE7x8F/view?usp=drivesdk

Your data is being routed through the T-Mobile network core now, so the phone Speedtest identifies the network as Sprint but the Internet provider as T-Mobile. Your hotspot speed test only knows which Internet provider it’s using, so it shows only as T-Mobile. 

• Like 2

Set up a family member's new iPhone 12 Pro for them yesterday. Still waiting on mine and one other one to ship....

I left it set it to "5G Auto" and enabled "Allow More Data on 5G".

Plugged it into their CarPlay for their vehicle and took a trip from Bethesda into DC. It seemed to hold onto strong 5G coverage very well. I didn't run any speed tests on it, but voice quality was very good.

One thing I did notice is that it still says "Sprint Wi-Fi" for Wi-Fi Calling. I figured it would say T-Mobile for these new devices, but perhaps that hasn't been migrated over yet?

46 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Set up a family member's new iPhone 12 Pro for them yesterday. Still waiting on mine and one other one to ship....

I left it set it to "5G Auto" and enabled "Allow More Data on 5G".

Plugged it into their CarPlay for their vehicle and took a trip from Bethesda into DC. It seemed to hold onto strong 5G coverage very well. I didn't run any speed tests on it, but voice quality was very good.

One thing I did notice is that it still says "Sprint Wi-Fi" for Wi-Fi Calling. I figured it would say T-Mobile for these new devices, but perhaps that hasn't been migrated over yet?

Is the iPhone 12 using an R15 T-Mobile sim?

On 10/31/2020 at 1:26 AM, comintel said:

Assuming you know that the Sprint bands are still ok there, and assuming also that they have put you on TMobile Network Access, you can ask them to remove SOC ROAMAHOME and add SOC BARRAH on those lines and that will put you back on Sprint's network. If you mention these terms they will recognize them and easily escalate the call to the TMobile Network Access queue where they know how to do this.

It could alternatively be possible that the Sprint coverage in your area is just being cut back, but this seems less likely.

Yes, Sprint bands are still OK here. Weird stuff going on here ... not even close to what I might call smooth.

We have 4 phones in our home on our plan. iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone SE-2, Pixel 2. The trouble started a few weeks ago when the iPhone X stopped connecting to our Magic Box Gold or any other Sprint LTE band, though the other three phones were fine. I tried to get tech support through chat on the Sprint website to help us out, but they were helpless. So I took the phone into what is historically a corporate Sprint store, but now T-Mobile branded. At the store, I was helped by a T-Mobile employee (who has worked for 5 years with T-Mobile) and he gave the iPhone X and the Pixel 2 new T-Mobile SIMs and sent me packing. I've got email and SMS messages welcoming me to the T-Mobile Experience and now this iPhone X and the Pixel 2 are both refusing to connect to any Sprint bands in town at all. The iPhone 8 and the iPhone SE-2 are both still connecting to the Magic Box Gold as well as other Sprint LTE bands in the area. I went for a walk today and lost all signal in a park with very solid Sprint coverage. Instead, I ended up with no signal at all for over 30 minutes on a route I usually stream Spotify in high quality with the same device I had today.

If there are more customers like me having this experience, the technical ins and outs of this merger are getting botched and there may be fallout if they don't get this fixed.

1 hour ago, DurhamHusker said:

Yes, Sprint bands are still OK here. Weird stuff going on here ... not even close to what I might call smooth.

We have 4 phones in our home on our plan. iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone SE-2, Pixel 2. The trouble started a few weeks ago when the iPhone X stopped connecting to our Magic Box Gold or any other Sprint LTE band, though the other three phones were fine. I tried to get tech support through chat on the Sprint website to help us out, but they were helpless. So I took the phone into what is historically a corporate Sprint store, but now T-Mobile branded. At the store, I was helped by a T-Mobile employee (who has worked for 5 years with T-Mobile) and he gave the iPhone X and the Pixel 2 new T-Mobile SIMs and sent me packing. I've got email and SMS messages welcoming me to the T-Mobile Experience and now this iPhone X and the Pixel 2 are both refusing to connect to any Sprint bands in town at all. The iPhone 8 and the iPhone SE-2 are both still connecting to the Magic Box Gold as well as other Sprint LTE bands in the area. I went for a walk today and lost all signal in a park with very solid Sprint coverage. Instead, I ended up with no signal at all for over 30 minutes on a route I usually stream Spotify in high quality with the same device I had today.

If there are more customers like me having this experience, the technical ins and outs of this merger are getting botched and there may be fallout if they don't get this fixed.

Agreed.  Eventually it will be best to be on the TMobile side . You can be moved back for now if you do not want to wait, from both TNA and TNX. 

Edited by comintel

1 hour ago, BlueAngel said:

Is the iPhone 12 using an R15 T-Mobile sim?

It's an iPhone 12 Pro straight out of the box directly from Sprint on an annual upgrade.

I didn't check which SIM it has. How can you tell which one it has?

I moved to T-Mobile Magenta and it’s fine for the most part. I have iPhones. One thing I miss is Sprint’s “WiFi calling on iCloud devices”. This allowed other devices on WiFi to make and receive calls even when the iPhone was off or not on WiFi. Now the iPhone must be on the same WiFi network or within Bluetooth range of the other iCloud devices. You see the difference as WiFi calling on other devices as “nearby” now whereas on Sprint it was “on”. Just an FYI. 

• Like 1

It's okay, but the one thing that I really miss from Sprint is the online chat feature (especially online). No matter what issue, it was always resolved online thru chat, hardly ever needed to call or go to a store. But T-Mobile only has chat on mobile and having to write out long issues on a tiny keyboard sucks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, schmidtj said:

I moved to T-Mobile Magenta and it’s fine for the most part. I have iPhones. One thing I miss is Sprint’s “WiFi calling on iCloud devices”. This allowed other devices on WiFi to make and receive calls even when the iPhone was off or not on WiFi. Now the iPhone must be on the same WiFi network or within Bluetooth range of the other iCloud devices. You see the difference as WiFi calling on other devices as “nearby” now whereas on Sprint it was “on”. Just an FYI. 

You can still use this on T-Mobile, but you may have to go in and make sure “DIGITS” is enabled on your line on the website. It took me quite awhile to figure that out!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, twospirits said:

It's okay, but the one thing that I really miss from Sprint is the online chat feature (especially online). No matter what issue, it was always resolved online thru chat, hardly ever needed to call or go to a store. But T-Mobile only has chat on mobile and having to write out long issues on a tiny keyboard sucks.

You can message them on Twitter - @tmobilehelp. They’re usually very helpful there!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dewbertdc said:

You can still use this on T-Mobile, but you may have to go in and make sure “DIGITS” is enabled on your line on the website. It took me quite awhile to figure that out!

Perfect.

3 hours ago, dewbertdc said:

You probably also have to make sure that "Upgrade to Wi-Fi Calling" is enabled/checked on your laptop/desktop device as well.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 10:23 PM, iansltx said:

Tethering for the first time in a bit (non-TNX BTW) and I'm pulling a T-Mobile IP address. Can't exactly tell how I'm being routed, but pings (as low as low 30s to 4.2.2.4 in Dallas) are in line with pure T-Mobile routing rather than proxying through Sprint, thoguh T-Mobile's speedtest.net servers aren't visible. The last time I tethered, I got a Sprint CGN IP and was proxied through both backbones, driving up latency significantly. GeoIP says I'm in Oklahoma.

not sure when it started but i noticed this morning by S20+ is getting a TMo IP address (regular phone not tethering) now instead of Sprint and I also can not run trace routes anymore (used to work sprint), presumably because I am now under tmobiles network policies.

12 minutes ago, swintec said:

not sure when it started but i noticed this morning by S20+ is getting a TMo IP address (regular phone not tethering) now instead of Sprint and I also can not run trace routes anymore (used to work sprint), presumably because I am now under tmobiles network policies.

I am also now getting a TMobile IP address (at least that's what SCP is telling me).  I'm on a S10.

8 hours ago, dewbertdc said:

You can message them on Twitter - @tmobilehelp. They’re usually very helpful there!

uhhh nope.. they tell me to talk to sprint.. i tell them.. ITS A TMOBILE NETWORK ISSUE... its like it bounces right off their head..

On 11/3/2020 at 6:29 PM, BlueAngel said:

Anyone getting a lot of missed calls on TNX? I've missed like 3 calls today. They ring and hangup 1 second later.

Nope, but I have gotten a lot more Blocked calls via ScamShield whereas Sprint Caller ID was pretty useless.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JimBob said:

T-Mobile tops 100M customers, posts $1.3B in quarterly profit six months after Sprint merger

https://www.geekwire.com/2020/t-mobile-tops-100m-customers-posts-1-3b-quarterly-profit-six-months-sprint-merger/

Industry-Leading Customer Growth

• Record-high 2,035,000 total net additions, best in industry
  • Record-high 1,979,000 postpaid net additions, best in industry
  • 689,000 postpaid phone net additions, best in industry
  • 56,000 prepaid net additions
  • Record-high 100.4 million total customers at the end of Q3 2020

Strong Financial Results Drive Guidance Raise Across the Board

• Total revenues of $19.3 billion and service revenues of $14.1 billion
  • Net income(1) of $1.3 billion and diluted earnings per share (“EPS”) of $1.00
  • Adjusted EBITDA(1) of $7.1 billion, raising H2 2020 guidance
  • Net cash provided by operating activities of $2.8 billion, raising H2 2020 guidance
  • Free Cash Flow(1) of $352 million, raising H2 2020 guidance

Delivering Merger Synergies Faster Than Expected

• Expect to deliver more than $1.2 billion of synergies in 2020
  • 15 percent of Sprint postpaid customer traffic has already been moved over to the T-Mobile network and customer network migrations have begun

Extending 5G Network Leadership

• America’s largest 5G network covering 270 million people with more geographic coverage than Verizon and AT&T combined
  • Supercharged experience with mid-band (2.5 GHz) 5G network covering more than 30 million people and expect to cover 100 million people by the end of 2020

Wow.... Glad to be along for the ride.

• Like 2

Not too shabby now that they are aggregating the two B41 carriers. This will definitely benefit older non 5G phones as this gets more wide spread. The network pushed me to B41 for the first time today also, usually I have to force my phone to connect to T-Mobile B41. 

l5jI8Vpl.jpg

1cmIj6xm.jpg

• Like 5