Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

2 hours ago, WillM said:

By the time Sprint bought Nextel they seemed pretty ghetto to me and stagnating.  Sprint was sold a bill of goods in my opinion. 

T- Mobile is in third place. They were a distant fourth at one point though. The last thing they’ll do is resurrect Nextel. 

The strongest Asset that sprint has in the business sector is the Nextel name.  Sadly they Don't have the competence to exploit it.  Sprint Mgmt and Maybe location of its headquarters has something to do with it.

Nextel was built into the phone. No opening Apps, just find the contact and hit the button.  I loved seeing every install company no matter competitor carried Nextel. Unfortunately, Sprints Indoor coverage is poor. Any Lte Solution wouldn't be robust.   

• Like 1

Hey let’s announce dual headquarters just to trick the DOJ that we won’t kill high paying jobs when in reality one of the reasons of this merger is to save billions on labor. 

This thing will happen unless the DOJ shot it down but it will be a win win to T-Mobile regarless because Sprint management will halt all deployments as soon this transaction is announced. Massa Son is the ultimate vulture capitalist. Having said that all the signs were there from the start. Marcelo was brought in to cut the fat and get the company ready for a merger.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IamMrFamous07 said:

That's true.  Tmobile has a better reputation between the two brands. I wonder who will be CTO, between John Saw or Neville Ray. I'm 99.9% sure Legere will be CEO ( sorry but I don't want Marcelo as CEO).

I can see them getting rid of boost mobile since both Boost and Metro PCS target the same demographic. 

T-Mobile also has a better reputation of executing Network related things. I know Mister Neville Has a lot to do behind it. I would be sad to see Sprint go but if the merger is needed in order to keep Sprint alive I'm all for it. I love to see Sprint compete on its own but at this point it's not a viable option anymore.

14 hours ago, twospirits said:

Back in 2014, both companies agreed that the merged company would be T-Mobile, so I don't see that changing. 

I absolutely agree with you I see that the need for a Public Image is absolutely Paramount to getting customers to come to the carriers so I hope this works out well

But I just got my sprint branded credit card. I'm not going to use a pink T-Mobile card lol. I'm not really happy about it but if it does become T-Mobile  lets get rid of the hot pink color please. 

13 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Finally, this is over and I don't think they would go through this a third time unless they got guarantee approval from the DOJ. Marcelo traveled to D.C several times the last few months with the smoke screen about removing regulations for small cells approvals. His visits were basically to the F.CC and DOJ.

Just my two cents.

10 minutes ago, SprintNYC said:

Finally, this is over and I don't think they would go through this a third time unless they got guarantee approval from the DOJ. Marcelo traveled to D.C several times the last few months with the smoke screen about removing regulations for small cells approvals. His visits were basically to the F.CC and DOJ.

Just my two cents.

The first time they tried this, they gave up because they got bad vibes from the government. Seeing how they're experienced at flirting with each other, something tells me you're right. 

1 minute ago, RAvirani said:

This is a done deal. Both of these CEOs wouldn’t make a joint public appearance to announce this unless they got the green light from the DOJ and FCC. 

If the DOJ comes with an announcement about “we will review this traction if it makes sense for American consumers” then this is a done deal.

Well T-Mobile's customer care is so far ahead of Sprint's, that's a real positive. I wonder if they'll finally let unlocked devices onto the Sprint network as well?

The thing I find interesting is that Son has shown all his cards, which is basically that he is completely unwilling to invest the money needed to make Sprint a competitor on its own. It seems like he was willing to give up control of Sprint (something he said he would regret doing if he were ever to do it) to avoid having to spend the money. It's too bad. I know a lot of people seem excited by this, but for someone who has really enjoyed the changes that T-Mobile has brought to the market, and I'm sad that we might be seeing the end of that. 

17 hours ago, WillM said:

There’s been a lot of positive momentum behind the T Mobile name the past few years. Why risk it with some name nobody knows? 

And dual HQ”s? Sounds dumb unless they just want to give Overland Park a false sense of security. 

It's to get it approved by the DOJ. I hope that the DOJ set as a condition that they need to match the coverage of at least AT&T within 3 years.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

Again, what's to become of Sprint's 800MHz? Can they exchange Dish's 600Mhz for Sprint's 800MHz somewhere down the road? How flexible are the RRHs, can they be reprogrammed? I am very interested in the technical aspects  of the network integration.

Something tells me that they will try to consolidate their PCS holdings by swapping with Verizon and AT&T. Can they swap some AWS for PCS 1:1?

Edited by bigsnake49

So is this an accelerated death knell for CDMA in the US? Verizon will be shutting down CDMA by the end of next year. I can't see any reason a new T-Mobile would continue to use it. I imagine they'll start shuttering the network and refarming that spectrum for LTE and maybe HSPA+ (as backup) almost immediately in the same way they did when they bought MetroPCS. 

How easy will it be to allow devices that have hardware for both networks to use both networks? All Sprint devices support the primary T-Mobile bands, how quickly would they allow those devices to access T-Mobile's network? 

4 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Again, what's to become of Sprint's 800MHz. Can they exchange Dish's 600Mhz for Sprint's 800MHz somewhere down the road? 

They can just sell it to Dish and allow Dish to use the existing towers with 800mhz. That’s revenue for NewCo

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thomas L. said:

So is this an accelerated death knell for CDMA in the US? Verizon will be shutting down CDMA by the end of next year. I can't see any reason a new T-Mobile would continue to use it. I imagine they'll start shuttering the network and refarming that spectrum for LTE and maybe HSPA+ (as backup) almost immediately in the same way they did when they bought MetroPCS. 

How easy will it be to allow devices that have hardware for both networks to use both networks? All Sprint devices support the primary T-Mobile bands, how quickly would they allow those devices to access T-Mobile's network? 

I think that Sprint devices will be able to roam free on T-Mobile's network almost immediately. Same with T-Mobile devices that have Sprint bands.

I wonder who from the Sprint executive team will remain on board with the New Tmobile?  Tmobile's executive team is top notch already so I guess the only person who I can see Tmobile keep to help with the combined company is John Saw to help Neville Ray on the 2.5 GHz high band expertise.  Maybe Marcelo would be kept to help with the existing partnerships he has with his former companies.

2 minutes ago, ericdabbs said:

I wonder who from the Sprint executive team will remain on board with the New Tmobile?  Tmobile's executive team is top notch already so I guess the only person who I can see Tmobile keep to help with the combined company is John Saw to help Neville Ray on the 2.5 GHz high band expertise.  Maybe Marcelo would be kept to help with the existing partnerships he has with his former companies.

Marcelo is pretty much gone. Softbank put him on the boards of its various businesses. Claure is going back to Miami since that is what he really wants. He was brought in to cut Sprint fat and reduce expenses which he did now he will get paid handsomely. They will keep their Overland Park campus open for a  year just to avoid PR problems. However for the last year so Marcelo has been shopping around half of the campus because is too big. This merger has been on the making since 2013, and there was never a strategy of making Sprint competitive and healthy for the long term, the s plan was merger from the start.

Oh man. Ive been pretty neutral on the merger but Tmobile has brought its A game to rural Kentucky. Kinda excited to get in on it

Just watched the video, guess Im full on board the hype train now

• Like 2