Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

The one thing that'll for sure come out of this merger is a monster network that has pretty much all of its bases covered. A ton of low band, mid-band, and even high band spectrum. The only thing they'll be missing out on is mmWave.

I also hope that T-Mobile adopts Sprint International Roaming pricing structure and countries. Sprint has the best international plans in the business.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

I also hope that T-Mobile adopts Sprint International Roaming pricing structure and countries. Sprint has the best international plans in the business.

Agreed 100%. Unlimited data up to 4G LTE speeds for $5/day or $25/week, I would really hate to lose that.

I'm very curious to see what develops in the video/TV space. If we're able to get 'free'/included Hulu and Netflix and if something worthwhile ever develops from t-mobile's purchase of Layer 3 TV on a nationwide scale that could potentially create a decent little cost saving bundle. A lot of ifs though.

41 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Why can't T-mobile's 1900 be served by Sprint's 800/1900/2500? Also in certain areas Sprint has 20MHz band 25 spectrum all by itself.

The other thing that the resulting company should look at is to deploy C-RAN (Centralized RAN) so they can centralize the base station functionality into a central facility per area. Of course that would require additional fiber bandwidth but it provides many pros than cons (fault tolerance/generic hardware/UPS)

Sprint equipment can serve 1900 MHz by itself, it’s just that T-Mobile doesn’t deploy any AWS equipment that is not also PCS capable. 

I totally agree that implementing CRAN would be a good move for the combined company. I know it’s been really good for AT&T in Seattle. 

I am definitely curious about this roaming deal, I wonder if it is unlimited like the US Cellular deal or standard roaming (which is cheaper than roaming on AT&T, verizon, etc) which won't have as much effect on the consumer level.

1 minute ago, bretton88 said:

I am definitely curious about this roaming deal, I wonder if it is unlimited like the US Cellular deal or standard roaming (which is cheaper than roaming on AT&T, verizon, etc) which won't have as much effect on the consumer level.

I would imagine it's unlimited and treated as native.

The best news to come out of this is that both carriers will continue their network upgrades as planned in the meantime (so no slowdown of work like last time) and we get access to roaming on T-Mobile's network whether the deal gets approved or not. By the time the deal gets approved, Sprint will have 5G live in several cities and T-Mobile will have 5G live in several cities too and all they'll have to do is integrate their networks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xdfgf said:

Oh man. Ive been pretty neutral on the merger but Tmobile has brought its A game to rural Kentucky. Kinda excited to get in on it

What they did in Wyoming alone should be good news for network enthusiasts. They didn't wait around for fiber or microwave backhaul. They went in and used Satellite backhaul throughout the entire state. They were determined to get a native network deployed at all costs.

Of course ping times are terrible, but it definitely beats roaming. Satellite backhaul will do for now until they can hire crews to install proper backhaul.

1 minute ago, greenbastard said:

What they did in Wyoming alone should be good news for network enthusiasts. They didn't wait around for fiber or microwave backhaul. They went in and used Satellite backhaul throughout the entire state. They were determined to get a native network deployed at all costs.

Of course ping times are terrible, but it definitely beats roaming. Satellite backhaul will do for now until they can hire crews to install proper backhaul.

really? what are the pings like? are there any videos i can watch

3 hours ago, Thomas L. said:

So I disabled CDMA and bands 25,26 and 41 on my phone and it's not roaming on T-Mobile yet. I would imagine it will take at least a week to propagate the update to towers and the system etc? 

The roaming is probably only for areas where Sprint offers no service for now. It's probably just like the At&t roaming Sprint has where it only works in the boonies.

23 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

The roaming is probably only for areas where Sprint offers no service for now. It's probably just like the At&t roaming Sprint has where it only works in the boonies.

We’ll have to wait and see...

A Verizon-like deal is possible too...

30 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

I would think that if their goal is to combine the networks then they would allow the allow roaming wherever. They're trying to become a single company, so it shouldn't even be treated like roaming, rather just an extension of the same network. 

4 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

In the video that John and Marcelo made together, they mentioned that Comcast is growing extremely fast despite only being an MVNO on Verizon's network. Xfinity Mobile was announced in April 2017 and by March 2018, they had 577,000 postpaid subscribers.

That sounds like it was meant for the regulators more than anything else. 

11 minutes ago, WillM said:

This appears to be the strategy to try to get approval. Try to make the cable companies (and Google Fi) appear to be viable competition, possibly concede reduced network access rates to MVNOs to "preserve competition" and maybe some open access concessions. All this to try to avoid spectrum divestures.

19 minutes ago, WillM said:

I have zero doubts about that. The whole video/press release/website is an elaborate ruse made for the DOJ and FCC to calm some of their fears about the merger. 

The argument about MVNO's becoming the new competition is shaky right now but I could see a market like Canada's where cable-co's build out their own networks in their service areas and rely on reduced roaming fees to provide a nationwide network for their users to access. The only carriers that have more customers than Xfinity Mobile right now are C-Spire, U.S. Cellular, and the big 4. That's a big deal.

• Like 1

One of the things about the video is when John said apart no one would be capable of doing 5G. Only a combined Sprint and T-Mobile could do that. Many of us know that even without T-Mobile, Sprint could still do true 5G.

I have a crazy idea... How about everyone on here chips in and we buy Sprint! Then we can run it how it should be run. ?

We are not getting both Netflix and Hulu included free.  (one or the other)  Unless prices are raised.  It maybe offered in a new video service to compete with cable/satellite.