Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

26 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

I have zero doubts about that. The whole video/press release/website is an elaborate ruse made for the DOJ and FCC to calm some of their fears about the merger. 

The argument about MVNO's becoming the new competition is shaky right now but I could see a market like Canada's where cable-co's build out their own networks in their service areas and rely on reduced roaming fees to provide a nationwide network for their users to access. The only carriers that have more customers than Xfinity Mobile right now are C-Spire, U.S. Cellular, and the big 4. That's a big deal.

Well the one thing all the other carriers don't have that T-Mobile does have is unlimited LTE tethering for the phone at unlimited full-speed all the time. I have T-Mobile so yeah if I lose unlimited tethering that's going to be a deal-breaker for me.

1 hour ago, Paynefanbro said:

The best news to come out of this is that both carriers will continue their network upgrades as planned in the meantime (so no slowdown of work like last time)

Much like the job creation claims we'll see how this actually works (if it does it all). At the very least, things aren't going to continue as "planned." It is highly likely that even if Sprint continues with their original capex spending guidance, that what they end up doing is going to be in large part dictated by the merger i.e. any work would be on sites green-lit as surviving post merger. Because...

1 hour ago, Paynefanbro said:

and we get access to roaming on T-Mobile's network whether the deal gets approved or not

First of all this makes sense as it ultimately saves T-Mobile a bit of roaming expenses on Sprint's behalf if the merger goes through. That said, this as essentially the break-up fee fee screams to me as an acknowledgement that Sprint's network plans this year would've been different had the company not been involved in the merger process. "We'll let you roam where you need to with us for several years" while you recover and ramp up your own network spending.

1 minute ago, Mr.Nuke said:

Much like the job creation claims we'll see how this actually works (if it does it all). At the very least, things aren't going to continue as "planned." It is highly likely that even if Sprint continues with their original capex spending guidance, that what they end up doing is going to be in large part dictated by the merger i.e. any work would be on sites green-lit as surviving post merger. Because...

First of all this makes sense as it ultimately saves T-Mobile a bit of roaming expenses on Sprint's behalf if the merger goes through. That said, this as essentially the break-up fee fee screams to me as an acknowledgement that Sprint's network plans this year would've been different had the company not been involved in the merger process. "We'll let you roam where you need to with us for several years" while you recover and ramp up your own network spending.

Well roaming deal with T-Mobile would definitely increase coverage for T-Mobile in areas where their network is spotty.

1 minute ago, Mr.Nuke said:

Much like the job creation claims we'll see how this actually works (if it does it all). At the very least, things aren't going to continue as "planned." It is highly likely that even if Sprint continues with their original capex spending guidance, that what they end up doing is going to be in large part dictated by the merger i.e. any work would be on sites green-lit as surviving post merger.

For what it's worth 3 more cities were added in the past week to the list of cities getting massive MIMO antennas so I guess I'm more optimistic about work continuing as normal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

I have sprint. Will I eventually be able to buy a one plus phone and use it on the new network? What happens to people with unlimited data plans on sprint? 

Either we get to keep our plans or we’ll have to convert over to whatever plan that T-Mobile offers. However, there’s no reason for the new company not offer unlimited. They’ll have more spectrum than what they need. 

1 hour ago, IamMrFamous07 said:

Lol what if Dish Network tries to C**k block this merger like they tried to do with Softbank. 

I sure hope not, though I'd love to see the combined Sprint/T-Mobile purchase Dish, which would increase the 600mhz spectrum to a minimum 15x15 across the country, with many areas being 20x20. Then there is the 20x20 AWS-4 the new T-Mobile would get, securing plenty of spectrum for years, if not decades for them.

7 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

For what it's worth 3 more cities were added in the past week to the list of cities getting massive MIMO antennas so I guess I'm more optimistic about work continuing as normal.

I agree. Sprint's primary network focus should be deploying massive mimo. I don't know if they will continue the "triband every tower" rollout though since a lot will be decommissioned.

I'm curious how this merger will affect Google's Project Fi? Aside from US Cellular, that service relies on T-Mobile and Sprint networks to work.  Probably won't, but I can't help to feel that it might.

On a side note, will Paul (can you hear me now) now start making videos with T-Mobile. lol

3 minutes ago, twospirits said:

I'm curious how this merger will affect Google's Project Fi? Aside from US Cellular, that service relies on T-Mobile and Sprint networks to work.  Probably won't, but I can't help to feel that it might.

On a side note, will Paul (can you hear me now) now start making videos with T-Mobile. lol

You know one of the things for me that's a deal-breaker is losing the unlimited tethering I have on my phone.

10 minutes ago, twospirits said:

Maybe if the deal closes by next year's "Avengers" film release, they could do a take on that with Legere, Claure, Paul, Des, along with bringing Carly back and some other Tmo executives taking on the evil duopoly.

1 hour ago, IamMrFamous07 said:

I agree. Sprint's primary network focus should be deploying massive mimo. I don't know if they will continue the "triband every tower" rollout though since a lot will be decommissioned.

They will because they said they will continue with that very plan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2fastkuztoms said:

something like this

https://imgur.com/a/T0gEUXk

That looks quite good! My guess earlier was T5GRU, but I'm now wondering if perhaps the name, if carrying the same theme, ought to be TMO5GRU. The reason being is the known short name for T-Mobile has been TMO for quite a long time. TMO5GRU sounds more connected to T-Mobile than just "T" or even "TM".

However, I personally think this would be a great time for this site to get away from the connection with a wireless "Generation", instead being titled after wireless network technology in general. The other issue is, does this site want to go from a very strong, loyal Sprint/Network enthusiast site, to being a T-Mobile one.

While I acknowledge this site's connection with Sprint first and foremost, the other strong point to this site that has differentiated itself from other sites, is the knowledgeable network-centric aspect to this site, a unique network focus to say, XDAdevelopers phone modification focus, TmoNews' T-Mobile focus, and the several Android websites focused on Android.

Of course I don't exactly know what Robert has in mind, plans he has, and so on. Still, I'm going to suggest the same thing I've been for a while now here. I personally suggest the site become more of a general wireless forum, as an alternative to HowardForums, but with a strong network-focus, and also continue with the member-driven support system S4GRU has relied on for funding for a long time up to now, without the advertising HowardForums has.

I have a few naming ideas, if the domains are available.

Mobile Networking Observance

Mobile Networking Obsession

Mobile Networking Odyssey

or as a nod to Sprint's past, Mobile Networking Overland

Being that Mobile Networking is the soul of the site -the heart being Sprint, any variation to my suggestion of no longer following the generation sequence in naming, and the movement to a general wireless basis, ought to at least recognize the big focus of the site, this here being mobile networking. The reason I'm suggesting using the "O" at the end, is for an easy flow to the name, similar to how GRU sounds. Alphabetically, O being after N, which itself is after M, flows really nicely. MNO, which also sounds close to TMO and the famous Sprint cell site term GMO. The representation options for "O" I presented, while "Overland" is a nice gesture to the Sprint hq, my preference is "Obsession".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Anything said prior to the press call today (and heck a lot of what was said on that call) is worthless at this point. We'll see what Sprint opts to do for their Q4/FY 2017 earnings this week or next week, but it would be nice if the analysts get a chance to ask Claure for more clarification on issues like this.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, jreuschl said:

So what would be needed to use T-mobile on roaming? I assume both firmware and PRL?

iPhone and Samsung S7 or later should be relatively easy.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

I'd like to know this as well. Every Sprint device for two or three years has supported bands 2, 4, and 12, ostensibly as part of an effort of Son's part to support smaller rural wireless providers in the US, but what really was more likely device seeding in anticipation of a merger. Device support is there across the board, but I also would like to know what will be required to enable Sprint to roam on T-Mobile. I am also still waiting to hear if T-mobile can roam on Sprint. 

3 minutes ago, Thomas L. said:

I'd like to know this as well. Every Sprint device for two or three years has supported bands 2, 4, and 12, ostensibly as part of an effort of Son's part to support smaller rural wireless providers in the US, but what really was more likely device seeding in anticipation of a merger. Device support is there across the board, but I also would like to know what will be required to enable Sprint to roam on T-Mobile. I am also still waiting to hear if T-mobile can roam on Sprint. 

I didn't listen to the call and haven't found a transcript. But is there a chance they meant for this to happen once VoLTE is launched?

11 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

I didn't listen to the call and haven't found a transcript. But is there a chance they meant for this to happen once VoLTE is launched?

An analyst asked a follow-up question about it and Claure said it begins immediately. We don't know what the actual agreement or extent of it is though.

I've been in half a panic about this merger because there's been no word at all about what happens to Shentel.  I found this article this morning, which is making me feel better, though I want to wait to hear something for certain:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4096992-real-winner-sprint-t-mobile-merger

The link to the agreement being discussed in the article is here:

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/354963/000114036115031058/ex10_2.htm

The summary seems to be that in the case of this merger, Sprint either has to buy out Shentel at a premium, sell the T-Mobile customers and network in the Shentel region to Shentel at a discount, or shut down the T-Mobile network in the Shentel region.  One of the latter two options would make me happy.

- Trip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trip said:

I've been in half a panic about this merger because there's been no word at all about what happens to Shentel.  I found this article this morning, which is making me feel better, though I want to wait to hear something for certain:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4096992-real-winner-sprint-t-mobile-merger

The link to the agreement being discussed in the article is here:

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/354963/000114036115031058/ex10_2.htm

The summary seems to be that in the case of this merger, Sprint either has to buy out Shentel at a premium, sell the T-Mobile customers and network in the Shentel region to Shentel at a discount, or shut down the T-Mobile network in the Shentel region.  One of the latter two options would make me happy.

- Trip

Fascinating.   Shentel bought nTelos for $640 Million..  Current market cap of SHEN is almost 2 billion right now....   Buy some SHEN stock!

• Like 1

See Slide 22:

https://allfor5g.com/content/uploads/2018/04/CREATING-ROBUST-COMPETITION-IN-THE-5G-ERA.pdf

PROVEN OPERATIONAL PLAN FOR SUCCESS

Anchor on T-Mobile Network

Fast and low risk delivery of synergies while protecting customer experience
Use T-Mobile as the anchor network and increase network density and coverage with selected Sprint “keep” sites
Deploy 2.5 GHz spectrum on T-Mobile sites and full T- Mobile spectrum portfolio on Sprint “keep” sites
New T-Mobile network of ~85k macro sites and 50k small cells

Migrate Customers

Migrate Sprint customers to T-Mobile network within 3 years without degrading experience on Sprint’s network
On Day One, 20 million Sprint customers already have compatible handsets with T-Mobile’s network
Aggressively migrate CDMA voice to VoLTE
Billing and back office system migrations to occur over time minimizing disruption to distribution, care, and operations

———

What about the Magic Box? I remember Sprint had a plan to deploy up to 2.2 Million of them.

Edited by RedSpark
Magic Box

11 hours ago, Arysyn said:

That looks quite good! My guess earlier was T5GRU, but I'm now wondering if perhaps the name, if carrying the same theme, ought to be TMO5GRU. The reason being is the known short name for T-Mobile has been TMO for quite a long time. TMO5GRU sounds more connected to T-Mobile than just "T" or even "TM".

However, I personally think this would be a great time for this site to get away from the connection with a wireless "Generation", instead being titled after wireless network technology in general. The other issue is, does this site want to go from a very strong, loyal Sprint/Network enthusiast site, to being a T-Mobile one.

While I acknowledge this site's connection with Sprint first and foremost, the other strong point to this site that has differentiated itself from other sites, is the knowledgeable network-centric aspect to this site, a unique network focus to say, XDAdevelopers phone modification focus, TmoNews' T-Mobile focus, and the several Android websites focused on Android.

Of course I don't exactly know what Robert has in mind, plans he has, and so on. Still, I'm going to suggest the same thing I've been for a while now here. I personally suggest the site become more of a general wireless forum, as an alternative to HowardForums, but with a strong network-focus, and also continue with the member-driven support system S4GRU has relied on for funding for a long time up to now, without the advertising HowardForums has.

I have a few naming ideas, if the domains are available.

Mobile Networking Observance

Mobile Networking Obsession

Mobile Networking Odyssey

or as a nod to Sprint's past, Mobile Networking Overland

Being that Mobile Networking is the soul of the site -the heart being Sprint, any variation to my suggestion of no longer following the generation sequence in naming, and the movement to a general wireless basis, ought to at least recognize the big focus of the site, this here being mobile networking. The reason I'm suggesting using the "O" at the end, is for an easy flow to the name, similar to how GRU sounds. Alphabetically, O being after N, which itself is after M, flows really nicely. MNO, which also sounds close to TMO and the famous Sprint cell site term GMO. The representation options for "O" I presented, while "Overland" is a nice gesture to the Sprint hq, my preference is "Obsession".

I did it for fun, but isn't a easy decision because this site has been known as S4GRU for so long.

I'm on the same boat, this has grown into a site with a bunch of "nerds" and gurus of networking that could expand easily into tech of others providers, the top site to find tech info about networking technologies and all deployments.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 2fastkuztoms said:

I did it for fun, but isn't a easy decision because this site has been known as S4GRU for so long.

I'm on the same boat, this has grown into a site with a bunch of "nerds" and gurus of networking that could expand easily into tech of others providers, the top site to find tech info about networking technologies and all deployments.

If this merger does get approved, this site (under whichever name) will be able to keep track of progress on the Sprint “Keep” Sites and what kinds of upgrades they’re receiving. I imagine this process could take a year or more?

I assume new sources/intelligence will be developed for T-Mobile’s Anchor Network going forward?

• Like 1