Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

1 minute ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Is day one now, or on the close of the merger?

He said something but I didn't catch that part. They said they signed a network roaming agreement and would continue after the merger so it could be now idk

I'm one that doesn't want this to happen. It may look good on paper and in short-term they say they will lower prices but that won't last. I can see them raising prices after the Sprint network is decommissioned and everyone is brought over to their network. If this passes through the DOJ, it's a good time as ever to give Project Fi a try.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IamMrFamous07 said:

So if I buy the iPhone X now through sprint will it work on Tmobile’s 700mhz spectrum?

Yeah it has band 12 they just need to enable the domestic roaming for it. I don't know if it will work right now but the call implied it. I will give it another listen but it was a really long call.

Just now, Terrell352 said:

Yeah it has band 12 they just need to enable the domestic roaming for it. I don't know if it will work right now but the call implied it. I will give it another listen but it was a really long call.

At this point just wait we will have transcripts by this afternoon in all likelihood.

1 minute ago, JThorson said:

Gets what?

I can't post pics on Tapatalk anymore. Don't know why but I got a notification saying that the prl is upgraded and I never get that when I do a prl upgrade which is once a week

1 minute ago, IamMrFamous07 said:

So can Massive MIMO antennas do CA between 600mz & 2.5 or 700mhz & 2.5? Or AWS & 2.5?

I don't know for sure, but I don't think that is the point of it. It provides enough capacity with the 2.5 spectrum that aggregating it with something else should not be needed. 

How many towers does Sprint have? 85,000 to be decommissioned sounds like a majority. Got to admit it doesn't seem much of a plan for densification, unless they're planning to readd towers in better locations.

Wonder US Cellular Extended LTE agreements will work. T-Mobile already roams in areas of US Cellular VoLTE, but with Sprint they have unlimited roaming in areas from 1x, 3g and LTE.

Just now, Arysyn said:

How many towers does Sprint have? 85,000 to be decommissioned sounds like a majority. Got to admit it doesn't seem much of a plan for densification, unless they're planning to readd towers in better locations.

That's one of the big things between Sprint and T-Mobile. Most of their sites are co-located near each other.

• Like 2

Just now, Arysyn said:

85,000 after decommissioning. 35,000 are getting turned off. I assume a mix of Sprint and T-Mobile.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ericdabbs said:

I would love that idea of exchanging 800 MHz spectrum for more 600 MHz spectrum.  There are some places in the US which still can't deploy 800 MHz LTE and I don't think we will ever see it deployed.

I don't really think that would be a smart idea...

I think the ideal network configuration for a combined company would probably be:

• ~20x20 NR600
  • 5x5 L700
  • 5x5 L800
  • A single 1x800 carrier
  • 20x20 L1900
  • A single U1900 carrier
  • 20x20 L2100
  • LTE/NR on 2.5 GHz
1 hour ago, ericdabbs said:

CDMA is dead IMO.  LTE works great and its about time we kill off CDMA and waste valuable spectrum on 3G technology.  5G is just around the corner and is built from 4G which should be universal amongst all carriers. 

I would expect that it would be fairly easy to configure Sprint devices to be able to work on both networks.  Hopefully nothing or a firmware upgrade would be what is necessary to work with the Sprint/Tmobile networks.

There isn't much benefit to shutting down 1x800 because not much else can be done with that 1.25 MHz FDD slice of spectrum.  Additionally, 1x800 provides far greater range than LTE or NR will ever be capable of and would be very useful to keep for edge-of-cell rural cases.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

Comcast apparently is going to be the new 4th player maybe?

In the video that John and Marcelo made together, they mentioned that Comcast is growing extremely fast despite only being an MVNO on Verizon's network. Xfinity Mobile was announced in April 2017 and by March 2018, they had 577,000 postpaid subscribers.

1 minute ago, Thomas L. said:

So I disabled CDMA and bands 25,26 and 41 on my phone and it's not roaming on T-Mobile yet. I would imagine it will take at least a week to propagate the update to towers and the system etc? 

You may be right. I tried the same thing on my S9 and it didn't work either.

17 minutes ago, Arysyn said:

35000 to be decommissioned. 85 thousand will remain after the merger.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terrell352 said:

35000 to be decommissioned. 85 thousand will remain after the merger.

Thanks, Terrell. That makes more sense... I couldn't imagine the company getting rid of 85,000 sites, though still the 35,000 going away is quite alot too, the closely by sites to T-Mobile's towers.