Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

14 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Again, what's to become of Sprint's 800MHz. Can they exchange Dish's 600Mhz for Sprint's 800MHz somewhere down the road? 

I would love that idea of exchanging 800 MHz spectrum for more 600 MHz spectrum.  There are some places in the US which still can't deploy 800 MHz LTE and I don't think we will ever see it deployed.

8 minutes ago, Thomas L. said:

So is this an accelerated death knell for CDMA in the US? Verizon will be shutting down CDMA by the end of next year. I can't see any reason a new T-Mobile would continue to use it. I imagine they'll start shuttering the network and refarming that spectrum for LTE and maybe HSPA+ (as backup) almost immediately in the same way they did when they bought MetroPCS. 

How easy will it be to allow devices that have hardware for both networks to use both networks? All Sprint devices support the primary T-Mobile bands, how quickly would they allow those devices to access T-Mobile's network? 

CDMA is dead IMO.  LTE works great and its about time we kill off CDMA and waste valuable spectrum on 3G technology.  5G is just around the corner and is built from 4G which should be universal amongst all carriers. 

I would expect that it would be fairly easy to configure Sprint devices to be able to work on both networks.  Hopefully nothing or a firmware upgrade would be what is necessary to work with the Sprint/Tmobile networks.

1 minute ago, SprintNYC said:

Marcelo is pretty much gone. Softbank put him on the boards of its various businesses. Claure is going back to Miami since that is what he really wants. He was brought in to cut Sprint fat and reduce expenses which he did now he will get paid handsomely. They will keep their Overland Park campus open for a  year just to avoid PR problems. However for the last year so Marcelo has been shopping around half of the campus because is too big. This merger has been on the making since 2013, and there was never a strategy of making Sprint competitive and healthy for the long term, the s plan was merger from the start.

I figure he would be gone and pretty much most if not all of the Sprint executive team.  I guess Gunther was smart to see the writing on the wall and bailed late last year.  I can't wait to see what Tmobile will do with the 2.5 GHz spectrum with HPUE to be used for 5G network.  Hopefully the 2.5 GHz resources should buy Tmobile some time for 5G before acquiring more MMwave spectrum. 

1 minute ago, ericdabbs said:

I figure he would be gone and pretty much most if not all of the Sprint executive team.  I guess Gunther was smart to see the writing on the wall and bailed late last year.  I can't wait to see what Tmobile will do with the 2.5 GHz spectrum with HPUE to be used for 5G network.  Hopefully the 2.5 GHz resources should buy Tmobile some time for 5G before acquiring more MMwave spectrum. 

Where does Tmobile have MMwave spectrum currently? 

I guess we can now see the true potential of 2.5 since we know that T-Mobile will get that spectrum out there on more towers. I wonder if we can keep our UF plans?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IamMrFamous07 said:

Apparently Marcelo announced on the call that sprint users will be able to roam on T-Mobile effective immediately. 

Does anyone have a call transcript?

Call is still going on.

- Trip

Gunther was called to the office and was told the company strategy is to merge with Tmobile, and a combined company wouldn't keep him as the head of network technology. After that, he probably handed his resignation one week after digesting the news. The same thing happened with the CFO, and he also cashed out and bounce back to Europe. 

They are hammering the headquarter issue a lot because they know deep down this merger will kill jobs and the DOJ wouldn't like that

Crotchety oldster here checking in: This video is to me, a cringe casemaker to the DOJ, shareholders and whoever else they are trying to convince this is awesome. Per video; I now have a few rural options in wireless since competitive builds started the last few years. Now we see deployments being limited to particular bands and speeds(ATT rural plans band30/10mb p/s cap/100Gb) all sorts of playing with your packets(Try a speedtest with different vectors on Tmobile) and the friendly sounding deprioritization. Neither of these companies is interested in being your rural broadband provider, they have said as much many times up until now. If adding 74MHz was the tipping point, either could have had that at any of the last 3 auctions, let alone 3.5-4.2GHz, ya know the goldilocks zone. This seems to make the barrier of entry higher for new market entrants as the players consolidate and grow monolithic in size.

I really hope this interpretation is wrong, but this Big 8 are using the same Networks as the now formerly Big 4. I understand no one has 1.5T to blow on radios and towers like it was an electronics strip club party with hookers and blackjack, but unless you want to make your own networks you are priced out; to enter the business you basically rely on those 4(3) networks until your model is working. At what point do we just go to one company for our needs and quit the charade buried in buzzwords like innovator and disrupter, when all we want is a dumb pipe?

15 minutes ago, derrph said:

I guess we can now see the true potential of 2.5 since we know that T-Mobile will get that spectrum out there on more towers. I wonder if we can keep our UF plans?

This is exactly why I'm supporting this merger : added spectrum that will actually get deployed and the network over time densified to make band41 work in more places. Just the added sites T-Mobile has should help things considerably.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Arysyn said:

Will T-Mobile users be able to access the Sprint network immediately too?

I have an Android phone that supports both networks so I will be trying to select Sprint over the next few days. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arysyn said:

Will T-Mobile users be able to access the Sprint network immediately too?

In the call that just happened they said that 25million Sprint devices have access to TMobile and would be open to them one day one.

• Like 1

Just now, Terrell352 said:

In the call that just happened they said that 25million Sprint devices have access to TMobile and would be open to them one day one.

Great for Sprint users, but I want access to band41 and the improved Sprint network here in Chicago. I would have switched to Sprint, but the T-Mobile pricing deal is just too good.

Here what I got from the call.

85 thousand macro towers after 35 thousand are decommissioned and decommissionimg would happen last so not to disrupt the network.

Capex of 40 billion over 3 years after approval.

2-3 years to completely migrate Sprint customers over to TMobile volte and leaving 800 cdma on til that happens.

Immediate roaming access on day one.

T-Mobile towers will get 2.5 equipment and remaining Sprint towers will get T-Mobile equipment. 

Significantly more massive mimo than if Sprint what's to do it alone

They want all the spectrum and don't plan to divest.

2 headquarters will stay. 

Rural America will get hundreds of new towers and 5G access aka true nationwide.

More jobs and lower prices.

Comcast apparently is going to be the new 4th player maybe?

They will have 50 thousand small cells and that's not counting magic boxes.

Business will continue as usual on both sides until the outcome and no plans for network deployments have changed.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Arysyn said:

Great for Sprint users, but I want access to band41 and the improved Sprint network here in Chicago. I would have switched to Sprint, but the T-Mobile pricing deal is just too good.

Tfw when prices rise and traffic shaping kicks in, but there is no one left to switch to.

2 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

85 thousand macro towers after 35 thousand are decommissioned and decommissionimg would happen last so not to disrupt the network.

2-3 years to completely migrate Sprint customers over to TMobile volte and leaving 800 cdma on til that happens.

Is day one now, or on the close of the merger?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

When is day one, and is it reciprocal, meaning with T-Mobile customers have access to Sprint's network? 

4 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

T-Mobile towers will get 2.5 equipment and remaining Sprint towers will get T-Mobile equipment. 

Significantly more massive mimo than if Sprint what's to do it alone

They want all the spectrum and don't plan to divest.

2 headquarters will stay. 

Rural America will get hundreds of new towers and 5G access aka true nationwide.

More jobs and lower prices.

Comcast apparently is going to be the new 4th player maybe?

They will have 50 thousand small cells and that's not counting magic boxes.

So if I buy the iPhone X now through sprint will it work on Tmobile’s 700mhz spectrum?