Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Green Bay is unique in the way their ownership is set up. The fans and the city hold ownership, not some billionaire sucking the tax payer's money. So outside of them going bankrupt, Green Bay isn't going anywhere. History has got nothing to do with it. The NFL has shown in the past that history means nothing to them (See the LA Rams, Houston Oilers, Baltimore Colts, etc.). Fans are nothing but customers and loyalty is measured in dollars.

No, much of that analysis is wrong.  For the Green Bay Packers, history has everything to do with it.  

The Packers started as a club team -- otherwise, Green Bay never would have had an NFL team in the first place.  That is history.  Public incorporation began almost 100 years ago.  That is history.  The Super Bowl trophy is named for Vince Lombardi.  That is history.  All of those are historical reasons why the Packers remain in Green Bay.

Hypothetically, even if the Packers somehow were sold out of public hands and new ownership wanted to move the team out of Green Bay to a larger market, the NFL owners would not approve it.  Bar none, would not approve.  The Green Bay Packers are too historically important to the NFL.  The other examples that you mention -- with the minor exception of the Baltimore Colts -- are not historically important to the NFL.

AJ

"Alltel Stadium" also has had its capacity reduced by 10,000. Hmm...

Face reality. Jacksonville has not worked out, is a weak market. The NFL in Jacksonville is going away -- much like Alltel.

AJ

They reduced seats because it was one of the largest capacity stadiums in one of the smallest markets, yes. However, Everbank Field is still far from being the smallest by capacity.

People have been saying that for a decade (Jags are going to Los Angeles) and the team is still here. The Jags will be in Jacksonville for a LONG time.

• Like 2

They reduced seats because it was one of the largest capacity stadiums in one of the smallest markets, yes. However, Everbank Field is still far from being the smallest by capacity.

You cannot use the reduced capacity premise in the same breath as your no blackout premise.  They basically counteract each other, making your argument weak -- like the Jacksonville market.

People have been saying that for a decade (Jags are going to Los Angeles) and the team is still here. The Jags will be in Jacksonville for a LONG time.

Yeah, you can leave "for a LONG time" undefined so that, when the Jaguars have departed Jacksonville by 2025, you can say, "Well, that was a LONG time."

In the meantime, cling to the legacies of long since retired and bankrupt Mark Brunell and the poorly hosted Super Bowl XXXIX as the two reasons why Jacksonville has any NFL relevance at all.

AJ

You cannot use the reduced capacity premise in the same breath as your no blackout premise. They basically counteract each other, making your argument weak -- like the Jacksonville market.

Yeah, you can leave "for a LONG time" undefined so that, when the Jaguars have departed Jacksonville by 2025, you can say, "Well, that was a LONG time."

In the meantime, cling to the legacies of long since retired and bankrupt Mark Brunell and the poorly hosted Super Bowl XXXIX as the two reasons why Jacksonville has any NFL relevance at all.

AJ

I will ????

Just curious, has anyone ever told you you're a pessimist?

Anyone who knows suburban/exurban North Florida and the demographics personally would understand that Jacksonville is more than large enough to support an NFL team.

You and I both are pretty sharp when it comes to geography, Robert.  But I disagree with you on this one.

That a population is "more than large enough to support an NFL team" does not mean that it will support an NFL team or should have an NFL team.  By the standard of that first premise, Columbus, Portland, Memphis, Las Vegas, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, etc., all are "more than large enough to support an NFL team."

However, other reasons, some of them geographical reasons, exist why those aforementioned cities do not have NFL teams.  Sufficiency and necessity just do not go hand in hand.  The state of Florida does not need three NFL teams.  And the whole NFL expansion/relocation in the Southeast in the mid 1990s was poorly carried out.  St. Louis, Charlotte, Jacksonville, and Nashville put too many teams in close proximity to one another as well as existing teams in New Orleans, Atlanta, Tampa, and Miami.

Take all of the city names above, throw them in a pot, and the one that does not fit is Jacksonville.  It was and still is a head scratching choice.  Jacksonville never should have had an NFL team.  Then, all of this debate and apologetics over Jacksonville would be irrelevant.

AJ 

• Like 1

I will

Just curious, has anyone ever told you you're a pessimist?

A pessimist or a realist?  Sometimes, the truth hurts.

AJ

"Alltel Stadium" also has had its capacity reduced by 10,000. Hmm...

Face reality. Jacksonville has not worked out, is a weak market. The NFL in Jacksonville is going away -- much like Alltel.

AJ

They reduced the seats to add premium clubs and pool areas. The stadium is more than football and all the areas around it will be too.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A pessimist or a realist? Sometimes, the truth hurts.

AJ

No tears here sir, I have an NFL team in my backyard and the reality of the situation is the Jags are in Jacksonville, much to your dislike. I choose to focus on that fact rather than talk about what could or can happen down the road.

Jesus, is this the NFL board?

I think this discussion is more appropriate here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jaguars/

As someone who doesn't follow sportball, I'm very bored with this conversation, as well.

Sprint's Robiatti: 70% of our POPs now covered by 2.5 GHz

Thoughts on this progress? Tarek Robiatti shared this information at a Conference.

If this is accurate, then it speaks to just how much of the population of the country lives in major cities these days.  Because there are very large geographic areas without B41.

- Trip

• Like 6

They reduced the seats to add premium clubs and pool areas. The stadium is more than football and all the areas around it will be too.

No, you are forgetting history.  Sections of unsold seats had to be covered by tarps.  That had nothing to do with stadium renovations to add premium amenities.

Guys, you have emotional attachment to this issue.  I do not.  I am sorry, but it is rational analysis that the NFL in Jacksonville was a poor choice and has been a disappointment.  The Jaguars will be a relocation candidate in the near future.  And when that happens, you are likely to lose your team.

AJ

• Like 1

As someone who doesn't follow sportball, I'm very bored with this conversation, as well.

The Jacksonvillains started it.  They are not as important as they think they are.  That goes for most of the rest of us, too.  And this has relevance to wireless.  Sprint could close up the market and have zero native service in Jacksonville.  No matter, the company would soldier on relatively unscathed. The same could hold for Pittsburgh, Denver, Salt Lake City, etc.  About the only indispensable markets are BosWash, Los Angeles, Chicago, and San Francisco.

AJ

• Like 1

No, much of that analysis is wrong. For the Green Bay Packers, history has everything to do with it.

The Packers started as a club team -- otherwise, Green Bay never would have had an NFL team in the first place. That is history. Public incorporation began almost 100 years ago. That is history. The Super Bowl trophy is named for Vince Lombardi. That is history. All of those are historical reasons why the Packers remain in Green Bay.

Turn over the Jacksonville Jaguars ownership into the same as Green Bay and there's no way they move either. The minority owning fans would never allow the move.

Hypothetically, even if the Packers somehow were sold out of public hands and new ownership wanted to move the team out of Green Bay to a larger market, the NFL owners would not approve it. Bar none, would not approve. The Green Bay Packers are too historically important to the NFL. The other examples that you mention -- with the minor exception of the Baltimore Colts -- are not historically important to the NFL.

AJ

You underestimate the greed of the NFL. We are talking about a league that throws a fit when tax payers don't want to pay for their stadiums. The LA Rams had history in a city in which they spent 48 years in (which is way more time in which the Colts spent in Baltimore), yet they still hightailed it to the Midwest. Or how about the Cleveland Bro......I mean the Baltimore Ravens? Let's not forget about that debacle.

While the league likely won't force changes in Packers ownership in our lifetime, I wouldn't put it past the league supporting the relocation if a new owner takes over and decides to move. Loyalty is measured in dollars in the NFL, not history. The only time History makes the NFL money is in the form of throwback jerseys they sell.

• Like 2

Sprint's Robiatti: 70% of our POPs now covered by 2.5 GHz

Thoughts on this progress? Tarek Robiatti shared this information at a Conference.

I think the progress is ok although I would have expected a bit higher in terms of initial coverage.  Obviously 2.5 GHz small cells will help fill in the gaps and provide more capacity which will improve the B41 usability numbers.  

I guess considering that Sprint was not able to fully shut down Wimax until the end of Q1 2016 in order to start deploying 2xCA B41 LTE its pretty good progress.  Hopefully Sprint doesn't let the gas off the pedal and hopefully their cost cutting measures are starting to pay off.

• Like 1

I'm glad Sprint is progressing well...however, I'd love to see anything at all happen in Alabama. I realize it's not a priority market, but anything at all would be welcomed. It's been probably two years since things just halted here and haven't found any sign of anything happening since then.

I think the progress is ok although I would have expected a bit higher in terms of initial coverage.  Obviously 2.5 GHz small cells will help fill in the gaps and provide more capacity which will improve the B41 usability numbers.  

I guess considering that Sprint was not able to fully shut down Wimax until the end of Q1 2016 in order to start deploying 2xCA B41 LTE its pretty good progress.  Hopefully Sprint doesn't let the gas off the pedal and hopefully their cost cutting measures are starting to pay off.

Yeah. The delayed WiMax shutdown definitely pushed things back a bit. Given the huge jump in iPhone 7 Preorders this year (Almost 500% as of September 20th, according to Marcelo), it'll be interesting to see how Sprint's device capability mix is affected. We should hear about this during the upcoming Earnings Conference Call on October 25, 2016.

The most recent data we have for on-network devices is from the Fiscal 1Q2016 Earnings Conference Call:

Tri-band LTE phones represented 73 percent of the 25.3 million ending postpaid phone connection base compared to 46 percent at the end of the year-ago quarter and 69 percent at the end of the prior quarter. During the quarter, 91 percent of postpaid phones sold were tri-band.

Carrier aggregation capable phones, which allow for higher data speeds, were 74 percent of postpaid phones sold during the quarter, increasing the number of these phones within the phone base to 35 percent

So if you factor in the 2.5 GHz Spectrum on 70% of POP's here, you get a better sense of how far along Sprint is and what the customer experience is. Still lots of upgrade room for Triband and Carrier Aggregation Capable devices.

Given the huge number of iPhone 7 pre-orders, we'll see how much the needle is moved on Carrier Aggregation Capable devices.

We'll also see more data at some point if/when Sprint breaks out Three Channel Carrier Aggregation Capable devices separately.

• Like 1

If this is accurate, then it speaks to just how much of the population of the country lives in major cities these days.  Because there are very large geographic areas without B41.

- Trip

Yes, and 2.5GHz is not exactly the right spectrum for it. Now 2.5 is fine when you're out and about but it will not penetrate very far into a cement block house in Florida. You will/do need mid and low spectrum or small cells. Suburban and exurban is where a lot of us live. Sprint needs to expand its coverage both in pops and area by whatever means possible. The network matters. As Robiatti so succintly put it, 50% of churn is due to the network. So Sprint,work on it!

Another excellent point. I guess the lesson here is if Sprint doesn't work for you then simply don't use them. For me Sprint is good to excellent. It is others for whom I feel badly. That said I still find it surprising and disappointing that many decently sized metro areas STILL lack band 41..like my hometown of Lexington, KY. A metro area of half a million still with no band 41? Sprint has a ton of work yet to do, even within its native footprint. So I guess that even further bolsters your contention.

I found this in my logs and just thought you might like to know sadly it was only the one dot that showed for that area. But something for you to check out and report on when you are home.

_id first_time first_time_offset last_time last_time_offset last_device_latitude last_device_longitude last_device_loc_accuracy user_note provider plmn GCI pci tac dl_chan strongest_rsrp latitude longitude 
68981 9/28/2016 10:16:39 -4 9/28/2016 10:17:06 -4 38.077142 -84.493956 3.9 site name removed Sprint B41 310120 _04145731 456 8199 0 -90 38.073953 -84.495265 

I don't know if I am more upset about the lack of B41 deployment along interstate or the lack of 4/5/6 carriers which is a software issue. But I can't complain to much when most of the interstates are covered or at least spots here and there with LTE in the eastern half of the US with one big exception of I-80 in PA.

Yes, and 2.5GHz is not exactly the right spectrum for it. Now 2.5 is fine when you're out and about but it will not penetrate very far into a cement block house in Florida. You will/do need mid and low spectrum or small cells. Suburban and exurban is where a lot of us live. Sprint needs to expand its coverage both in pops and area by whatever means possible

I'm sure you'll disagree, but at home you shouldn't be relying on 2.5 at home for internet service.

• Like 3

Yes, and 2.5GHz is not exactly the right spectrum for it. Now 2.5 is fine when you're out and about but it will not penetrate very far into a cement block house in Florida. You will/do need mid and low spectrum or small cells. Suburban and exurban is where a lot of us live. Sprint needs to expand its coverage both in pops and area by whatever means possible. The network matters. As Robiatti so succintly put it, 50% of churn is due to the network. So Sprint,work on it!

I'm sure you'll disagree, but at home you shouldn't be relying on 2.5 at home for internet service.

If this were T-Mobile, the attitude would be that the 5 MHz FDD band 12 carrier is super duper nifty shit, great for footprint expansion and in building coverage improvement.  But this is Sprint, so the attitude will be that the 5 MHz FDD band 26 carrier is insufficient bandwidth, that 20 MHz TDD band 41 is needed but not available because of high band propagation.

AJ

• Like 6

If this were T-Mobile, the attitude would be that the 5 MHz FDD band 12 carrier is super duper nifty shit, great for footprint expansion and in building coverage improvement.  But this is Sprint, so the attitude will be that the 5 MHz FDD band 26 carrier is insufficient bandwidth, that 20 MHz TDD band 41 is needed but not available because of high band propagation.

AJ

Oh believe me I am just as critical of T-Mobile as I am of Sprint even more so because I think they exaggerate their coverage. 

I get both band 12 and band 26 at my condo but both of them are flaky and I drop to 1x and EVDO quite often on Sprint and HSPA+ on T-Mobile. Sometimes I lose signal on both.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

No of course not, but it's nice to have when you're out of wifi range. And it's nice when visitors have good service at your house and don't need to ask for the wifi password. What's home to you is a friend's place to someone else, if that makes sense. Residential areas should have B41.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 1

If this were T-Mobile, the attitude would be that the 5 MHz FDD band 12 carrier is super duper nifty shit, great for footprint expansion and in building coverage improvement. But this is Sprint, so the attitude will be that the 5 MHz FDD band 26 carrier is insufficient bandwidth, that 20 MHz TDD band 41 is needed but not available because of high band propagation.

AJ

Preach. I never understood it. I used tmobile band 12 and it is almost just as bad as sprint unless CA is being used. I wish Sprint would find a way to use CA on 25/26-26/25. 10mhz is better than 5mhzx2.
  • Like 1

Preach. I never understood it. I used tmobile band 12 and it is almost just as bad as sprint unless CA is being used. I wish Sprint would find a way to use CA on 25/26-26/25. 10mhz is better than 5mhzx2.

The whole point of B26 is to only serve customers not reached by B25/41. What Sprint really needs to do is be more aggressive about moving devices up to a better band. I've seen T-Mobile move people from -102 to -105 B12 up to -120 to -122 B4. Same with AT&T. This is the kind of aggressive band placement Sprint needs to implement if they want to improve the usability of B26.

• Like 5

The whole point of B26 is to only serve customers not reached by B25/41. What Sprint really needs to do is be more aggressive about moving devices up to a better band. I've seen T-Mobile move people from -102 to -105 B12 up to -120 to -122 B4. Same with AT&T. This is the kind of aggressive band placement Sprint needs to implement if they want to improve the usability of B26.

Always wondered why they dont do this. I see the same thing with At&t and Tmobile. Its probably because unlike FDD mid band LTE. Band 41 upload becomes virtually unusable at -120 dbm or greater.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk