Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Because it would have left the legacy network to rot, and cost 2x per cell site to run.

CapEx vs. OpEx.

Would you pay two monthly car payments just to have a weekend car as well as a work car?

It's exactly what Verizon did.

Eh, what constitutes majority?

For example, those areas you mention have less of a population than NYC, with 8 million local and 20 million in the market.

How many total 1st or 2nd place finishes does Sprint have in rootmetrics results? Now once you answer that, then you will see that Sprint idoesn't beat att or vzw the majority of the time. The majority of the time Sprint is in 3rd or 4th place.

The problem is that Sprint is known as the worst provider (between att, vzw, and sprint).

Sprint is known as the worst. Even when they're not. That's the point.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 7

So why couldn't Sprint do the same?

Um they did? 

Brand new eNB, brand new antennas, brand new backhaul.

If you mean leave their old legacy CDMA equipment up and running? 

Extra OPEX and CAPEX spending and eventually you'll need to rip them out one way or another. I hope you are aware of the fact that Verizon has been doing full site revisions and completely decommissioning the legacy CDMA gear and integrating them into their modern eNBs. 

• Like 2

Sprint is known as the worst. Even when they're not. That's the point.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

Between ATT and VZW, rootmetrics say they are worse. I know in parts of the country, Sprint is better. But overall, at this moment across the USA, can people really say Sprint is better than VZW and ATT?

How many total 1st or 2nd place finishes does Sprint have in rootmetrics results? Now once you answer that, then you will see that Sprint idoesn't beat att or vzw the majority of the time. The majority of the time Sprint is in 3rd or 4th place.

In what ranking? If you're comparing a 2-5 basis point difference then that's just splitting hairs. 

Something 10-15 points is viable. 

• Like 1

Between ATT and VZW, rootmetrics say they are worse. I know in parts of the country, Sprint is better. But overall, at this moment across the USA, can people really say Sprint is better than VZW and ATT?

According to the port positive numbers that Marcelo talks about, yes, they definitely can say that.

In what ranking? If you're comparing a 2-5 basis point difference then that's just splitting hairs.

Something 10-15 points is viable.

If you take voice and text out of the equation and just did data then it is a big difference. There voice is what keeps there reliability scores so high.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

If you take voice and text out of the equation and just did data then it is a big difference. There voice is what keeps there reliability scores so high.

Yeah but that's for e-penis pumpers.

The truth is there is zero difference between 8mbps and 10mbps on mobile applications. 

• Like 2

The truth is there is zero difference between 8mbps and 10mbps on mobile applications.

Dude you almost made me choke on my food laughing so hard. "E-Penis Pumpers" [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] . I can't right now.

• Like 2

But seriously I think Verizon's score was higher than 10 mbps. There was a 22% speed difference. That is noticable when downloading normal apps and video consistency.

Data is actually mentioned as being tallied in the reliability score as well. So if Sprint is doing well in reliability to the point where they can tie or beat AT&T or VZW, its due to a combination of voice, text, and data not voice offsetting data woes. That would mean Sprint's voice network would be vastly outperforming the competition.

• Like 1

Um they did? 

Brand new eNB, brand new antennas, brand new backhaul.

If you mean leave their old legacy CDMA equipment up and running? 

Extra OPEX and CAPEX spending and eventually you'll need to rip them out one way or another. I hope you are aware of the fact that Verizon has been doing full site revisions and completely decommissioning the legacy CDMA gear and integrating them into their modern eNBs. 

But they're doing gradually, not all at once and without massive disruptions like Sprint.

Data is actually mentioned as being tallied in the reliability score as well. So if Sprint is doing well in reliability to the point where they can tie or beat AT&T or VZW, its due to a combination of voice, text, and data not voice offsetting data woes. That would mean Sprint's voice network would be vastly outperforming the competition.

It probably is vastly outperforming the competition. Sprint has more spectrum still in use on legacy than any other carrier so voice is going to be good most of the time.

It probably is vastly outperforming the competition. Sprint has more spectrum still in use on legacy than any other carrier so voice is going to be good most of the time.

Do they though? In a lot of markets (SF, Pittsburgh, Sacramento for starters) I believe they're down to a single 1x1900 carrier and a single 1x800 carrier. Then 2 EVDO carriers, but those don't matter for voice.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

According to Fiercewireless, Sprint has stopped their leasing program for Android phones and the iPhone 5SE. 

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/report-sprint-discontinues-leasing-program-for-android-phones

How will that affect their financials? Were they losing money on it?

• Like 1

According to Fiercewireless, Sprint has stopped their leasing program for Android phones and the iPhone 5SE.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/report-sprint-discontinues-leasing-program-for-android-phones

How will that affect their financials? Were they losing money on it?

I don't think this is a good sign. It probably means they are having trouble financing it. It could just be no one is willing to finance android phones, but it is never a good sign when a company can't get credit.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I don't think this is a good sign. It probably means they are having trouble financing it. It could just be no one is willing to finance android phones, but it is never a good sign when a company can't get credit.

They have no problem financing the iPhone7 and iPhone 6s. So it tells me that the residual value of the Android phones is too low to make money on them. Same thing on the 5SE. I wonder if Samsung or HTC or LG will pick up the slack.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

I think too many Android device's value plunge too fast. Whereas idevices tend to hold value well into its lifespan. Also, this Samsung battery debacle do not help the cause.

This speaks more to the after market value of the phones than Sprint's ability to get credit.  There was nothing in the article that suggests Sprint wants to keep the program but cannot get credit.  They already worked out the whole program in advance.  And all these leasing arrangements are predicated on the expected aftermarket pricing and the take up rate (demand).  One or the other must be off to cause them to drop it.  

• Like 4

This speaks more to the after market value of the phones than Sprint's ability to get credit.  There was nothing in the article that suggests Sprint wants to keep the program but cannot get credit.  They already worked out the whole program in advance.  And all these leasing arrangements are predicated on the expected aftermarket pricing and the take up rate (demand).  One or the other must be off to cause them to drop it.  

I am hearing from some friends that they were sort of pressured into a lease and could not stay on an old plan where the phone was subsidized. So they walked out the door and bought elsewhere and quite often from AT&T or Verizon where the sales reps welcomed a new customer with various discounts.  In my own case, I have two Galaxy S-5's that still work fine. Yes, I would like to upgrade.  I have not walked into a Sprint store because of the requirement to lease.  I figure Sprint was trying to wrestle the residual value of the new phone from me.

I also just walked away from a new car dealer because the sales rep insisted I had to lease. After telling him two times, he repeated the lease deal. Apparently he heard me when I told him I was leaving, but it was too late. He is setting in his chair with a smaller paycheck.

• Like 6

I am hearing from some friends that they were sort of pressured into a lease and could not stay on an old plan where the phone was subsidized. So they walked out the door and bought elsewhere and quite often from AT&T or Verizon where the sales reps welcomed a new customer with various discounts.  In my own case, I have two Galaxy S-5's that still work fine. Yes, I would like to upgrade.  I have not walked into a Sprint store because of the requirement to lease.  I figure Sprint was trying to wrestle the residual value of the new phone from me.

I also just walked away from a new car dealer because the sales rep insisted I had to lease. After telling him two times, he repeated the lease deal. Apparently he heard me when I told him I was leaving, but it was too late. He is setting in his chair with a smaller paycheck.

Yeah, I'm no fan of the phone leasing system.  I think it's kind of ridiculous.

• Like 6

Yeah, I'm no fan of the phone leasing system.  I think it's kind of ridiculous.

It really depends. If you pass your phones down to other members of your family then leasing is not for you. You also can buy the phone outright and then sell it in the open market.