Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

The article is pretty much completely useless for accurate information. I've looked it over several times and nothing is right, really anywhere. I could cobble together something more accurate in a few hours, and I don't consider myself an expert. (I think most educated network hobbyists could do better then this)

The article's maps are missing alot of important spectrum data for AT&T, especially here in Chicago. The spectrum totals ought to be much higher.

The media is so pissed the massively overhyped hurricane didn't rip off chunks of the East Coast and otherwise completely decimate humanity that they are literally out hunting for anything at all to justify their bizarre, inflated statements. Was their damage? Sure. But was it ever at all in danger of being "the worst storm in 100 years" (as many began oddly calling it)? Absolutely not. Life here in South Florida is essentially completely unscathed though folks to our north did experience more issues than we did.

The media seems to love to overhype big storms even more when one hasn't happened in awhile. Any kind of weather that hasn't happened in awhile really. Glad to hear the networks held up, even though it sounds like there's little more then power outages and no major destruction.

Small deviations in the track made all the difference. If those Cat3/4 winds had made it on shore... sustained, you would have seen the kind of damage we haven't seen since Katrina. Better to be over prepared than overwhelmed. Be very thankful the storm wobbled just off shore. 

• Like 7

There has been some back and forth on Twitter this morning with Mike Dano, FierceWireless editor and Allnet Insights, the creator of the maps for the article.

Allnet Insights says that the maps only include the three largest channels of LTE spectrum that are, or will be part of a carrier aggregation strategy. Mike Dano feels like this was disclosed and I told him that I completely disagreed. The article doesn't even use the phrase carrier aggregation.

There has been some back and forth on Twitter this morning with Mike Dano, FierceWireless editor and Allnet Insights, the creator of the maps for the article.

Allnet Insights says that the maps only include the three largest channels of LTE spectrum that are, or will be part of a carrier aggregation strategy. Mike Dano feels like this was disclosed and I told him that I completely disagreed. The article doesn't even use the phrase carrier aggregation.

That would make sense. The big issue I noticed (I only checked Verizon, and I didn't even check PCS and 700) was they left out Verizon's second AWS carrier here. Even if so, that's pretty much useless data, especially when CA isn't even mentioned.

Unless I'm not reading the same article that was linked as everyone else is or the article has been entirely edited since its first publish, I'm clearly seeing words like "Carrier Aggregation" used. The first map for each carrier is explicitly named to show off the 3 carrier aggregation spectrum availability. I don't like how the legend to some of the maps are cut off and I wish they would not show the highways. It's unnecessary information that clutters the several small counties/parishes (not sure if anywhere outside of Louisiana has parishes instead of counties) not much larger than the line size for the highways.

Unless I'm not reading the same article that was linked as everyone else is or the article has been entirely edited since its first publish, I'm clearly seeing words like "Carrier Aggregation" used. The first map for each carrier is explicitly named to show off the 3 carrier aggregation spectrum availability. I don't like how the legend to some of the maps are cut off and I wish they would not show the highways. It's unnecessary information that clutters the several small counties/parishes (not sure if anywhere outside of Louisiana has parishes instead of counties) not much larger than the line size for the highways.

Yes, the first map for every carrier shows three carrier aggregation but the maps below that show individual channel ownership and that is where the confusion is.

Unless I'm not reading the same article that was linked as everyone else is or the article has been entirely edited since its first publish, I'm clearly seeing words like "Carrier Aggregation" used. The first map for each carrier is explicitly named to show off the 3 carrier aggregation spectrum availability.

And therein lies the issue.  While downlink carrier aggregation basically has no drawbacks, is current or future 3x CA -- assessed through an interpretive lens -- a good way to measure a network?  It does correlate with the maximum downlink bandwidth that can or could be allotted to one or more users.  But what does that metric really show?  Does it reflect typical user experience?  All other factors being equal, would a 3x CA network of three 10 MHz FDD carriers, for example, offer a better experience than that of a 2x CA network of five 10 MHz FDD carriers?  My contention would be that total LTE bandwidth, not necessarily maximum CA bandwidth, is the more influential factor.

AJ

• Like 3

Marcelo just posted on twitter saying:

"TOMORROW is a very special day in my life. We have an awesome announcement to make that will make a lot of people proud. #can't sleep"

In the comments someone asked if it was personally or professionally and Marcelo tweeted back "Both"

Any ideas?

• Like 1

"TOMORROW is a very special day in my life. We have an awesome announcement to make that will make a lot of people proud. #can't sleep"

In the comments someone asked if it was personally or professionally and Marcelo tweeted back "Both"

Any ideas?

With news mixed with both...it could be anything. At times when news includes both personal and professional it's not always good.

He better not be stepping down from his position and trying to spin it like it's a great thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Any ideas?

He was in Japan a few days ago I believe.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

He was in Japan a few days ago I believe.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

It's either something big like Sprint has agreed to purchase US Cellular or something like Sprint to sponsor a new event or charity close to Marcelo's heart.

Nevermind

"Sprint Announces New Pricing for Data-Hungry Customers: Unlimited Freedom for Business"

That was announced a few days ago.

Quote from press release..

Beginning, Friday, Oct. 7, Sprint will offer Unlimited Freedom for Business:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-announces-new-pricing-for-data-hungry-customers-unlimited-freedom-for-business.htm

It's either something big like Sprint has agreed to purchase US Cellular or something like Sprint to sponsor a new event or charity close to Marcelo's heart.

That'll be dope if purchasing US Cellular was apart of the announcement.

That was announced a few days ago.

Quote from press release..

Beginning, Friday, Oct. 7, Sprint will offer Unlimited Freedom for Business:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-announces-new-pricing-for-data-hungry-customers-unlimited-freedom-for-business.htm

Oops, that was an old tweet. Must be something else then.

That'll be dope if purchasing US Cellular was apart of the announcement.

I was be AWESOME if they purchased USC (my parents live in their coverage, with no Sprint coverage), but I don't see how that would be personal for him.  Definitely business though.

• Like 1