Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

So wait, if I move my subsudized phone from ED1500 to the Family Share Pack, and my Aunt uses her upgrade and buys a non-subsidized device, I will only have to pay a $15 access fee? If so, then that's pretty dope on Sprint's part!

Sprint's $60 plan sounds nice, but if you don't need a ton of data, Verizon's $60 2GB plan actually is pretty good because it includes a subsidized handset.

Sprint should offer the $60 plan with a 2 year contract with a subsidized phone.  Right now it is $80.

• Like 2

Sprint's $60 plan sounds nice, but if you don't need a lot of data, Verizon's $60 1GB plan actually is pretty good because it includes a subsidized handset.

Sprint should offer the $60 plan with a 2 year contract with a subsidized phone.  Right now it is $80.

But with a subsidy figuring you buy a flagship you pay $200 upfront plus $20 more a month.  200(24*20)= 680

Buy the phone on easypay  for a total of $650 and you pay $30 less for the phone.  For a less expensive phone the savings unsubsidized is greater.  With the new Sharp phone you would be crazy to get that on a subsidy and pay much more a month.  And easypay for most people is $0 down. People need to get off the subsidy crack. 

• Like 7

Sprint's $60 plan sounds nice, but if you don't need a ton of data, Verizon's $60 2GB plan actually is pretty good because it includes a subsidized handset.

According to vzw that is a promotional price although it's expiration is not know. I think handset subsidies need to go away completely. It's a very anti consumer model that hides the cost of devices.

• Like 1

According to vzw that is a promotional price although it's expiration is not know. I think handset subsidies need to go away completely. It's a very anti consumer model that hides the cost of devices.

Yup.  When subsidies go away it is easy to figure out the true cost of everything and puts the customer in control.  If you want an expensive flagship like the iPhone or Galaxy you have that choice and know what it will cost.  If you want to save money and go with a Nexus or the new Sharp that is much cheaper you have that choice and save.  Either way you are in control of your bill.  In the past pretty much everybody had a flagship sized subsidy built into their plan no matter what phone they used. 

• Like 4

But with a subsidy figuring you buy a flagship you pay $200 upfront plus $20 more a month.  200(24*20)= 680

Buy the phone on easypay  for a total of $650 and you pay $30 less for the phone.  For a less expensive phone the savings unsubsidized is greater.  With the new Sharp phone you would be crazy to get that on a subsidy and pay much more a month.  And easypay for most people is $0 down. People need to get off the subsidy crack. 

I don't believe there is an extra $20 per month on this plan, see attached.

I'm not trying to be a VZ defender (or user) but I want Sprint's offer to be the best it can be :)  Plus VZ offers $100 off some phones, so the one I put in the cart is $100 more on Sprint (on a 2 year)

vz2.jpg

I'm not trying to be a VZ defender (or user) but I want Sprint's offer to be the best it can be :)  Plus VZ offers $100 off some phones, so the one I put in the cart is $100 more on Sprint (on a 2 year)

I was referring to the sprint plan you quoted as $80 subsidized vs the new $60 unsubsidized.  No the Verizon plan does not have an extra $20 but it is only 2GB vs Unlimited at Sprint and is a promo offer. 

I would like to see Sprint offer some 1GB - 3GB individual plans also, BTW. 

There is a reason Verizon is one of the only carriers really trying to hold on to subsidies and it's not because they care about what is best for you.

Also, I think one of the benefits of moving to unsubsidized plans is phone prices are going to start going down.  We are already starting to see some of that. 

• Like 2

I'm not trying to be a VZ defender (or user) but I want Sprint's offer to be the best it can be :) Plus VZ offers $100 off some phones, so the one I put in the cart is $100 more on Sprint (on a 2 year)

The two big problems with the VZW deal, is...

1. It's promotional

2. You can't upgrade to a 4GB plan (or greater) if you need to go over your 2GB in one month.

If you go over your 2GB allotment, you get hit with the high per GB charge, or you have to upgrade your account to the the regular 4GB plan price, which is ~$40 per month more. Then you can start adding additional 2GB blocks after that.

It's a good promo for VZW. But the cons just don't add up for lots of people. I even considered it for my VZW line, since I'm on a month to month on VZW and could walk away and do it. But the 2GB hard limit is a deal killer for me. I have to add data to my VZW line all the time.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

So what does VZW gain by holding on to the subsidy model? I'm just not seeing it. I've heard their CEO talk about it before from a standpoint of having to worry about credit worthiness more with payment plans but beyond that what do they have to lose? 

So what does VZW gain by holding on to the subsidy model? I'm just not seeing it. I've heard their CEO talk about it before from a standpoint of having to worry about credit worthiness more with payment plans but beyond that what do they have to lose?

I assume extra revenue, and the false sense people have that it's cheaper, while the flipside is the same people won't pay an etf.

It took a little while after the EVO launch before they decided to let SERO customers in on the action. If you wanted the EVO on launch day, you had to change plans off SERO. I remember the turmoil well. Lots of angry SERO customers. They finally came around and created the SERO-P plan and gave everyone an opportunity to upgrade. But you couldn't do it in stores, and had to go through some hoops.

I think the same problem reared again when LTE devices came out. But was fixed quickly.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

...and I think that Sprint's done it again with tri-band devices; I'm off contract now (have been for a few months) but the list of devices that I can do a subsidized upgrade to on my SERO-P plan is basically zero. I'd have to switch plans.

I actually switched to SERO-P a day or two after it was announced. Hence the Epic that I had when I got here.

• Like 2

I'm not trying to be a VZ defender (or user) but I want Sprint's offer to be the best it can be :) Plus VZ offers $100 off some phones, so the one I put in the cart is $100 more on Sprint (on a 2 year)

I think what people are missing in comparing vzw 60 plan with sprints plan is that they are not the same! Unlimited vs 2 gigs why would they be priced the same?

If you want to compare Apples to apples then compare sprints 2gig plan with vzw's.

Sprint 2 gig one line: 50

Vzw: 60

Now add the cost of a high end phone

Sprint 50 +650/24= 77.09

Vzw 60+200/24 = 68.33

If you need only one line and only use less than two gigs Vzw is cheaper.that is the comparison to look at, unlimited data is a totally different animal.

• Like 2

...and I think that Sprint's done it again with tri-band devices; I'm off contract now (have been for a few months) but the list of devices that I can do a subsidized upgrade to on my SERO-P plan is basically zero. I'd have to switch plans.

I actually switched to SERO-P a day or two after it was announced. Hence the Epic that I had when I got here.

You can get any phone you want subsidized... Where are you getting your info?

You can get any phone you want subsidized... Where are you getting your info?

Sprint's website when I go to upgrade my phone. I get a nice message saying "You will need to change your plan in order to use your phone, but you can do that once your phone arrives." or something to that effect. Maybe I have to go through telesales (I'd say in-store but they tend not to know what they're doing) to get this straightened out, but online doesn't give me much hope.

We have two SERO-P accounts with staggered upgrade dates and I've never had any issues upgrading either over the phone or through Sprint.com every year. 3G, WiMax, LTE, and TriBand devices haven't been a problem. Yes, you can't use a third party store like Amazon, but that's a small price to pay. The website says that you will need to change your plan to activate the new phone, but it really just means that you have to call in or use chat to do the activation (it will tell you that when you attempt to activate online).

Right now, I can use my SERO-P upgrade to get a HTC One M8, Galaxy S5, LG G3, Nexus 5, etc. Try calling telesales at 888-882-4030 if the website isn't working.

Edited by ahecht

We have two SERO-P accounts with staggered upgrade dates and I've never had any issues upgrading either over the phone or through Sprint.com every year. 3G, WiMax, LTE, and TriBand devices haven't been a problem. Yes, you can't use a third party store like Amazon, but that's a small price to pay. The website says that you will need to change your plan to activate the new phone, but it really just means that you have to call in or use chat to do the activation (it will tell you that when you attempt to activate online).

Right now, I can use my SERO-P upgrade to get a HTC One M8, Galaxy S5, LG G3, Nexus 5, etc. Try calling telesales at 888-882-4030 if the website isn't working.

Duly noted. At this point there's no good reason for me to switch off of my Nexus 5, but that may change :)

Well,,,,, I just did it...  I was on a 5 phone 1500 family data plan with a cost around $260 including a AAA discount on the first line...   Just converted it since I had 1 line that was eligible but had not upgraded yet...  5@$15 + $100 less 10% + taxes puts it around $190...  I get 20 GB shared ( my 5 lines currently use maybe 7 but just added another LTE phone yesterday before the deadline) plus each phone gets an extra 2GB...  Since I make my adult children pay, they are happily getting a good deal as well...  Also free hot spot if needed...  What's not to like.....  Since we are near the end of my billing month, effective next Wednesday....    I also am sending back my AirRave since my Galaxy 5S has WIFI calling now plus towers are better near me anyway....

Overall a good day for my Sprint service...

• Like 12

As much as I no longer trust BGR's opinions, sometimes they actually post facts: http://bgr.com/2014/08/05/verizon-two-year-contracts/

What would be nice on the individual plans is for them to give you the OPTION of either:

1. Unlimited talk/text/data, but you have to pay extra for tethering. (which is the current deal)

2. Unlimited talk/text and 5GB of data that you can use for however you'd like (wifi hotspot/tethering).

and they would both be $60.

• Like 1

What would be nice on the individual plans is for them to give you the OPTION of either:

1. Unlimited talk/text/data, but you have to pay extra for tethering. (which is the current deal)

2. Unlimited talk/text and 5GB of data that you can use for however you'd like (wifi hotspot/tethering).

and they would both be $60.

Personally I think the best step would be

$30 1 GB (or 2 GB?) unlimited talk text no tethering 

$45 3 GB (or 4 GB?) unlimited talk text no tethering

$60 Unlimited Data unlimited talk text unlimited tethering

For the $35 and $45 plans they should make it a $10/mo tether option

• Like 1

No way. Not gonna happen. "Unlimited" tethering is the devil's playground.

AJ

• Like 5

Pretty sure Sprint is holding back on unlimited tether because the B41 speeds will start to approach typical speeds you get from non-Wireless...    Not a problem today because that network is not here yet but I do get LTE measurements in the 20MB speed which suck a metered system quickly...  But that's not how I watch stuff anyway and frankly even when I have longish streams, it still does not matter..

For the $35 and $45 plans they should make it a $10/mo tether option

I like all of that except for the unlimited tethering. That's begging for abuse there. The 1 & 3 GB options are good. Maybe have a limited time extra 1 GB promo to make them 2 & 4 GB until 2016.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk