Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Since this is a discussion thread, I'm just going to say that I wish my phone had a Sprint logo on it. Only so I could help promote the company. Also because I like the logo. What are your thoughts?

Print out and paste the Sprint logo onto your phone.  ;)

• Like 2

I prefer how Sprint's doing it now, leaving phones close to stock from the manufacturer.

Agreed! I have long disliked att and Verizon's tacky approach to posting their ugly-ass carrier logos all over every phone they sell.

• Like 5

Agreed! I have long disliked att and Verizon's tacky approach to posting their ugly-ass carrier logos all over every phone they sell.

Especially now that they aren't subsidized!

• Like 4

You may be an educated geographer, but I have a Masters in City and Regional Planning. I still cant identify a Sprint antenna on a pole, but when it comes to demographics, economic trends, transportation, and what people are looking for in making their decissions on where to live and work, I am fully up to date on the statistics and literature.

When it comes to recruiting, Kansas City is a liability, not an asset.

The question is, is it enough of a liability to justify a very expensive move?

I still think you undervalue the development diversity of the Kansas City metro.

One, if a young Sprint recruit wants an urban lifestyle, he or she can always live downtown and commute to Overland Park.

Two, I hope that -- as an educated city planner -- you have read Joel Garreau's book "Edge City."  Kansas City has multiple "edge cities," but those of interest for people seeking an urban lifestyle are Crown Center/Crossroads District and the Country Club Plaza.  Marcelo lives in a treed, mansioned, "old money" neighborhood but five minutes from the Country Club Plaza.

Three, honestly, the Sprint Campus/Leawood Town Center is an emerging "edge city."  Right across the street from the Sprint Campus is a "New Urbanism" development filled with shops, restaurants, bars, and a hotel at walkable street level, then hundreds of apartments and lofts above.  The AMC Theatres headquarters is there -- plus a 20 screen AMC movie theatre just down the block.  Ericsson and ZTE have offices there.  That young Sprint "hipster" recruit could live there and even walk or bike across Nall Ave to work.

AJ

• Like 7

To add one more counterpoint to the discussion, Omaha.  It is a smaller, non major league, and less attractive city than Kansas City.  Yet, Omaha has an impressive five longstanding Fortune 500 companies.  They have not relocated to other cities.  They are able to recruit employees.  The idea that the Midwest is a non destination is false, and it seems to be floated by people with a coastal bias.

AJ

• Like 14

For the record...I've lived in Maryland (an hour from the coast) my entire life. If given the opportunity to move to the Midwest, I would. But I work for the federal government, which is mostly consolidated in my area...when I think Sprint, I think Kansas City. When I think T-Mobile, I think Seattle. Different strokes for different folks. I think Sprint's image fits well with their HQ, as does T-Mobile.

• Like 3

To add one more counterpoint to the discussion, Omaha.  It is a smaller, non major league, and less attractive city than Kansas City.  Yet, Omaha has an impressive five longstanding Fortune 500 companies.  They have not relocated to other cities.  They are able to recruit employees.  The idea that the Midwest is a non destination is false, and it seems to be floated by people with a coastal bias.

AJ

The last sentence is dead nuts on.  :)

• Like 3

So back on topic, I really do want to see the small cells in action here.

I did not know that this discussion was about small cells and that discussion of Marcelo possibly moving the headquarters away from Overland Park was off topic in the Marcelo thread.

;)

AJ

• Like 4

I did not know that this discussion was about small cells and that discussion of Marcelo possibly moving the headquarters away from Overland Park was off topic in the Marcelo thread.

;)

AJ

;) Just saying...ya know?

• Like 1

AJ

It also does not hurt to have the head of Berkshire Hathaway in the area.

• Like 2

AJ

As well as several others that are in the Fortune 700s that most cities would kill for like TD Ameritrade, Valmont (center pivot irrigation), West (telecommunications), Tenaska and Green Plains (both agri-energy companies). Two of the top 25 largest architectural firms in the country (Leo A. Daily and HDR), Gallup (polling), Omaha Steaks etc.

It also does not hurt to have the head of Berkshire Hathaway in the area.

It does lead to some interesting scenes...

1405362532000-Screen-Shot-2014-07-14-at-

• Like 3

Also: https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/633839695449878532

Marcelo responded that a "Forever" program would be coming for Android as well.

I wonder if it'll be a broad program where anyone with any Android phone can switch to another Android phone or if it's only for specific lines (S6 to S7, Note 5 to Note 6, etc)

• Like 2

It does lead to some interesting scenes...

Wow, would you look at that?!  Jimmy Buffett and Paul McCartney together.  That must have been one great concert.

;)

AJ

• Like 4

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-saw-our-network-densification-wont-be-traditional-slow-and-expensiv/2015-08-19

Sprint's Saw: "Our network densification won't be 'a traditional slow and expensive build'"

I'll take a "I'll believe it when I see it" stance on that.

• Like 6

I wonder if it'll be a broad program where anyone with any Android phone can switch to another Android phone or if it's only for specific lines (S6 to S7, Note 5 to Note 6, etc)

Indeed. However, I'd be satisfied if it at least covered the flagships like Samsung Galaxy S6, HTC M9, LG G4. That covers far more ground. 

I'll take a "I'll believe it when I see it" stance on that.

They came, they saw, they conquered.  :P

• Like 2

To add one more counterpoint to the discussion, Omaha. It is a smaller, non major league, and less attractive city than Kansas City. Yet, Omaha has an impressive five longstanding Fortune 500 companies. They have not relocated to other cities. They are able to recruit employees. The idea that the Midwest is a non destination is false, and it seems to be floated by people with a coastal bias.

AJ

Mid-major Midwest markets are a non-destination. No young, future graduate of an AAU university is dreaming of ending up in Omaha, NE. They're thinking of NY, LA, SF, Mia, Chicago, Boston, and other metropolitan areas. I would support your case for St. Louis and Kansas City, but Omaha?!

There's only 2 things to do in Nebraska: 1. Watch Nebraska football and 2. Watch corn grow. And with the recent terrible coaching change, its going to be watching corn grow all year round for that state.

• Like 3

Marcelo can definitely make the economics of this work by leveraging his experience with BrightStar... not to mention the fact that BrightStar is also owned by SoftBank.

No carrier can match this business unit integration.

• Like 2