Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Another thing that will help Sprint's image moving forward...they have great calling reliability now. But how many people use many voice minutes these days? Having great voice coverage is important (and expected honestly)...but once Sprint starts showing data reliability and impressive speed numbers....I think that will be the turning point for them.

Edit: Including this link...

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/blog-closing-the-gap-on-network-performance.htm

• Like 1

KC is not a great city for Millennials. Terrible transit, lots of driving to get around, not a ton of density to allow for walkability and community. So it will be harder to attract young talent there. To KCs credit, it is starting to evolve and it has all the ingredients to become a premier city and the nice weather helps. I should note that these challenges are not unique to KC, but KC is definitely coming around.

Yeah, you could repeat this for nearly all of the "medium sized" cities in the Midwest.

• Like 2

Marcelo Claure talks this morning about Sprint's decision to eliminate two-year service contracts, plans for its network and SoftBank's increased stake in the company:  http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2015-08-18/sprint-to-use-entire-spectrum-for-competitive-edge-ceo

What the F is with that Vonnie Quinn. She keeps cutting him off. WTF

:wall:

• Like 4

Marcelo Claure talks this morning about Sprint's decision to eliminate two-year service contracts, plans for its network and SoftBank's increased stake in the company: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2015-08-18/sprint-to-use-entire-spectrum-for-competitive-edge-ceo

You missed the most important part of that interview.

Sprint is going to keep 100% of their spectrum!!

AWESOME!

• Like 13

What the F is with that Vonnie Quinn. She keeps cutting him off. WTF

:wall:

Yeah, the reporters both seemed to want to play the got you game. I mean the one guy, "what about falling arpu" but "your arpu isn't low enough" (paraphrased). They kind of sucked.
  • Like 3

KC is not a great city for Millennials. Terrible transit, lots of driving to get around, not a ton of density to allow for walkability and community. So it will be harder to attract young talent there. To KCs credit, it is starting to evolve and it has all the ingredients to become a premier city and the nice weather helps. I should note that these challenges are not unique to KC, but KC is definitely coming around.

Look, as an educated geographer, I am no advocate of urban sprawl.  But are you telling me that Millenials like living side by side or on top of one another and using public transportation?  They do not like having affordable houses with yards and being able to drive on non congested freeways to anywhere in a huge metro -- including those supposedly desirable dense urban districts -- within 30 minutes?

I did not know these things.  But if they are so, just more reasons why Millenials are the most annoying generation ever.

AJ

• Like 11

Look, as an educated geographer, I am no advocate of urban sprawl. But are you telling me that Millenials like living side by side or on top of one another and using public transportation? They do not like having affordable houses with yards and being able to drive on non congested freeways to anywhere in a huge metro -- including those supposedly desirable dense urban districts -- within 30 minutes?

I did not know these things. But if they are so, just more reasons why Millenials are the most annoying generation ever.

AJ

I think people often conflate their preferences for everyone else's.
  • Like 4

These numbers are pretty impressive for Sprint and T-Mobile...considering where they were 2 years ago. And it also highlights the importance of nationwide low band spectrum for T-Mobile. I'd argue that Sprint could use it too, for coverage vice capacity.

Part of me is fine with the situation if T-Mobile always lacks in obtaining low band spectrum.  If we are going to maintain four nationwide networks, we may need to have a "loser" network.  That may be just the natural, competitive order of things.  Magentans and tech press have been happy to paint or even revel in Sprint as the "loser" network.  And I think many of you have been happy to take advantage of sweetheart deals and perks as Sprint has struggled.  Personally, I would not mind if the script gets flipped -- as the RootMetrics national results seem to indicate -- and T-Mobile goes back to being the "loser" network.  It may be a necessity in the domestic wireless environment that we have created.

AJ

• Like 7

I did not know these things.  But if they are so, just more reasons why Millenials are the most annoying generation ever.

Said by every generation about every generation. Let's drop this topic and move on.

• Like 6

Look, as an educated geographer, I am no advocate of urban sprawl.  But are you telling me that Millenials like living side by side or on top of one another and using public transportation?  They do not like having affordable houses with yards and being able to drive on non congested freeways to anywhere in a huge metro -- including those supposedly desirable dense urban districts -- within 30 minutes?

AJ

To look at that from another angle, its presumptuous as best for anyone to assume that the 'best talent available' is always going to be younger....or even for those that fit that bill that happen to be younger, it's presumptuous to assume that they all fall squarely in the center of the stereotypical 'Millennial' mentality or tendencies too.  

The world, America or otherwise, is still one giant melting pot of a myriad of differences and variations based on individuality.  And regardless of what some east coast urbanites may otherwise fool themselves into believing, not everyone thinks or views the world the same way they do or counts the stereotypical environment therein as the end all/be all of human existence. 

By the same token, there's no unwritten rule that states a company's primary corporate presence must be based in either a northeastern metropolitan area, SoCal or Seattle WA to thrive, much less stay relevant in modern society.  I'd be willing to bet that aside from salary/benefits and opportunity for advancement, what attracts better talent outside a local geographical region to a given company is based far more in terms of the company's internal culture and reputation as it pertains to treatment of its employees than where the company is located. 

He may not qualify as a millennial, but I seriously doubt Robert uprooted and moved his family to South Dakota because it was a poster child destination for hipsters.

• Like 5

The Radio Shack strategy in my part of Jersey seems like a waste of time and money. They shut all the ones in good locations and kept the ones in the out of the way, rundown strip malls. And the ones they kept they have just hung a Sprint banner in the window. No remodels to be seen yet. Some of these are so bad I hope they don't waste anymore money.

The mall closest to us is upscale-ish. It has an Apple Store and a Microsoft store as well as three corporate locations for the other three carriers. There was a Radio Shack there. Not in the best part of the mall but pretty good. They closed it. Of course there used to be a Nextel store which was converted to Sprint. That was closed years ago. They'd rather turn the resellers loose on you around here.

There is lots of retail space available in good locations around here. Why not find space where people are instead of teaming up with a washed up brand in yesterday's locations?

Garden State Plaza, right?

Said by every generation about every generation. Let's drop this topic and move on.

No, I have more to say.  Millenials are the first social media generation, and because of that excessive self interest broadcast to the world, they bring a lot of the crap they receive on themselves.  Reap what you sow.

For anyone who is a Millenial and takes umbrage at that, go right ahead.  I do not care.

And that, now, will be my last statement on the topic.

AJ

• Like 9

No, I have more to say. Millenials are the first social media generation, and because of that excessive self interest broadcast to the world, they bring a lot of the crap they receive on themselves. Reap what you sow.

For anyone who is a Millenial and takes umbrage at that, go right ahead. I do not care.

And that, now, will be my last statement on the topic.

AJ

You know a lot about wireless networks, spectrum allocation, etc. but damn you can be a little sanctimonious and captious at times, AJ.
  • Like 9

You know a lot about wireless networks, spectrum allocation, etc. but damn you can be a little sanctimonious and captious at times, AJ.

I know, and I apologize for that.  But in the span of almost 15,000 posts, sometimes I have to speak my mind.

AJ

• Like 6

To look at that from another angle, its presumptuous as best for anyone to assume that the 'best talent available' is always going to be younger....or even for those that fit that bill that happen to be younger, it's presumptuous to assume that they all fall squarely in the center of the stereotypical 'Millennial' mentality or tendencies too.  

To be fair -- this isn't some presumption on our part, the businesses in these cities are saying this themselves.

For instance, Kansas City has http://www.kc2-0.com/about/about.htm . The businesses of Kansas City are saying "we're having difficulty getting the talent we want, and the people we want aren't moving here for these reasons". Lots of midwest cities have similar problems, and have similar programs.

What cities don't have those problems? New York, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Boston, Austin, etc. They have other problems (housing costs being the biggest, usually) but they aren't typically having trouble recruiting people to live there. 

If there was a lack of suburban single family homes, recruiters might loose talent over that, and therefore focus on it. But since those exist in abundance, in almost every single market across the entire nation, it's not much of a concern.

• Like 4

Part of me is fine with the situation if T-Mobile always lacks in obtaining low band spectrum.  If we are going to maintain four nationwide networks, we may need to have a "loser" network.  That may be just the natural, competitive order of things.  Magentans and tech press have been happy to paint or even revel in Sprint as the "loser" network.  And I think many of you have been happy to take advantage of sweetheart deals and perks as Sprint has struggled.  Personally, I would not mind if the script gets flipped -- as the RootMetrics national results seem to indicate -- and T-Mobile goes back to being the "loser" network.  It may be a necessity in the domestic wireless environment that we have created.

AJ

This actually may not be a bad thing. If T-Mobile can keep and maintain their strong urban presence, it will still be a viable option for millions and millions of customers, and a profitable business. It definitely won't work for everyone. Whereas with Sprint, they actually stand a good chance of competing with the big boys on a nationwide level, and for those customers that are content paying for Verizon level service.

I live on the east coast, but in a more rural area between dense urban areas. So my options will likely remain plentiful for years to come!

• Like 1

I live on the east coast, but in a more rural area between dense urban areas. So my options will likely remain plentiful for years to come!

But what do we make of urban focused T-Mobile when they complete their rural upgrade project to put PCS LTE on the EDGE sites out in the boonies? Where would that put them when everything is said and done?

But what do we make of urban focused T-Mobile when they complete their rural upgrade project to put PCS LTE on the EDGE sites out in the boonies? Where would that put them when everything is said and done?

That remains to be seen.

I am anxious to see the results once RootMetrics gets a device capable of 2xCA, and a band 12 device on T-Mobile. Sprint should finally show some better speed results, and T-Mobile will get a much needed boost in calling reliability (at least in band 12 markets) and data speeds will improve with CA (band 4/12) as well.

These numbers are pretty impressive for Sprint and T-Mobile...considering where they were 2 years ago. And it also highlights the importance of nationwide low band spectrum for T-Mobile. I'd argue that Sprint could use it too, for coverage vice capacity.

A point to clarify for T-Mobile, B12 is LTE only, so unless they are testing VoLTE only, the call metrics will not improve significantly. 

• Like 1

I imagine like driving through a Florida afternoon. Raining for 1 minute and sunshine 1 mile down the road. Just like their LTE will be. Little blirps of coverage, with edge in between.

• Like 5

A point to clarify for T-Mobile, B12 is LTE only, so unless they are testing VoLTE only, the call metrics will not improve significantly. 

Correct...but VoLTE is on by default, and I don't know why Root Metrics would want to turn it off for their tests?

AJ

I will say as a millenial, living in NYC metro area, the ease of access with public transportation is amazing, and the less wear and tear on my car makes me happy. Thankfully this market has affordable housing with yards not too far away in NJ or Westchester County.

• Like 6