Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

It's a forum within a forum inside a thread.

AJ

• Like 8

I guess it's not technically off topic then, but it would be nice if we could stop the argument about whose dick is bigger...errrr whose city is better and change the subject to something actually interesting.

• Like 4

I guess it's not technically off topic then, but it would be nice if we could stop the argument about whose dick is bigger...errrr whose city is better and change the subject to something actually interesting.

The relevance in this thread is that there are some outside the Kansas City metro who feel that Sprint's location is inferior and a liability, that Marcelo will or should relocate Sprint to another metro area.  The city wars have spun off from that contentious debate about Sprint's future in the Kansas City metro.

AJ

• Like 1

It apparently has a third rail.

No third rail.  Kansas City does not have a subway, and that makes it a terrible city.

;)

AJ

• Like 3

Apologies if already posted:

Here is a biographical article from the KC Star on Marcelo:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/technology/article31927326.html

For those outside the metro, that was a headline front page article in the Kansas City Star this weekend.  Not just of the Business section.  Front page.

AJ

• Like 5

What is Sprint's current perception in their own Metro? Some of the quotes about wanting Sprint to do more locally were a big tell. I think the ideal if you want Sprint to be in KC would be them rooting in with charity and the community like what Anheuser-Busch did in St. Louis. AB had a great sales and local culture. It was said that August III, the Busch family member who built Anheuser-Busch into a global powerhouse, could sell anyone and make them AB customers for life. That's the sort of sales culture Sprint needs.

Yet Sprint also has to control costs, obviously, because if I want to continue the AB comp, the entire reason InBev was able to get AB was that AB didn't exactly keep control of costs. They got too fat and too happy. I realize that some might scoff at the beer to network comparisons, but I do see some similarities.

Third, how is KC's airport? In STL's case, they got hurt because of the TWA bankruptcy and the impending shutdown of the American Airlines hub.

• Like 2

Again, you fail to say how they are actually similar. Culturally, you're comparing Venus to Mars here. Yeah sure, they're both planets, but they're not the same. You even stated that both have NFL stadiums outside of their main core areas, but how does that even help define a city? What, so they picked a cheap lot? Houston is one of the most diverse cities in the country on both social and business dealings. Even the definition of 'BBQ' to people in Texas is different to those in Kansas City.

No, I have provided numerous illustrations of how Houston and Kansas City are similar metro areas from a geographical layout and metropolitan development perspective.  It may not interest you or make sense to you, but geographers legitimately study why metro areas evolve in the shapes and forms that they do.  I am not sure why you cannot understand that scope of my point.  Culture is irrelevant to my point.  Never have I brought it up.  I know that Houston and Kansas City are culturally different, but I do not care.  For the most part, I find people disappointing and annoying; I am far more interested in places and things.

As for the NFL stadium location example, if you think that is geographically trivial, you are mistaken.  I have been to NFL games in 13 different stadiums.  The location choice can provide insight into the city.  And that location choice affects, positively or negatively, factors such as access, atmosphere, and surrounding development.  Compare Soldier Field in Chicago or Century Link Field in Seattle to NRG Stadium in Houston or Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City.  Apples to oranges.  The same, if not even greater can be said of MLB ballparks, but that is one regard in which Houston and Kansas City differ.  Houston now has a downtown ballpark; Kansas City has remained on the beltway.

Look, I have beaten you several times over with reason and argument.  My point and its scope stand.  So, just concede and move on.  We do not need to clutter up this thread any further on this tangential topic.

AJ

• Like 1

What is Sprint's current perception in their own Metro?

I cannot speak to Sprint's perception in the Kansas City metro. All I can say is that many people are Sprint subs. And if the market share stats that we have seen are accurate, Sprint has top market share -- followed by AT&T, VZW, and T-Mobile, in that order.

Third, how is KC's airport? In STL's case, they got hurt because of the TWA bankruptcy and the impending shutdown of the American Airlines hub.

Some people love Kansas City International Airport (MCI); other people hate it.

The airport is on the northern periphery of the metro area -- the opposite side from most of the suburban development over the past 30 years. So, from Overland Park, the drive to the airport can be 40 miles.  

Freeway access is insanely easy, and parking is ample.  The three semicircular terminal buildings are spacious but not connected.  Interconnecting flights on different airlines may require an inconvenient walk outside, though that rarely happens.

With airline consolidation, some of the terminal areas are almost ghost towns.  The airport was overbuilt in the 1970s for hub level traffic in Kansas City that no longer exists.  Some talk has been to consolidate to one terminal or even to rebuild the airport in the same location.

With the rise of the Kansas City Royals, an East Coast sportswriter recently ragged on MCI -- I guess he likes urban density rather than suburban easy access.

AJ

• Like 3

Just in case you all hadn't seen this...

FCC approves AT&T's acquisition of DirecTVThe FCC has voted to approve AT&T's acquisition of DirecTV, just a few days after FCC chairman Tom Wheeler recommended the commission do just that. In its approval statement, however, the FCC has outlined some conditions to which AT&T had to agree in order to receive approval. From the FCC: As part of the merger, AT&T-DIRECTV will be required to expand its deployment of...+Android Central

http://www.androidcentral.com/fcc-approves-att-acquisition-directv

• Like 1

No third rail. Kansas City does not have a subway, and that makes it a terrible city.

;)

AJ

I'd take that literally, but I enjoy just joyriding subway systems. So only a personal preference. If KC had a subway system I'd move there in a heartbeat. Fwiw, I actually like using the KC airport because it's so nice and compact, it makes for convenient departure and arrival.

What is Sprint's current perception in their own Metro? Some of the quotes about wanting Sprint to do more locally were a big tell. I think the ideal if you want Sprint to be in KC would be them rooting in with charity and the community like what Anheuser-Busch did in St. Louis. AB had a great sales and local culture. It was said that August III, the Busch family member who built Anheuser-Busch into a global powerhouse, could sell anyone and make them AB customers for life. That's the sort of sales culture Sprint needs.

Yet Sprint also has to control costs, obviously, because if I want to continue the AB comp, the entire reason InBev was able to get AB was that AB didn't exactly keep control of costs. They got too fat and too happy. I realize that some might scoff at the beer to network comparisons, but I do see some similarities.

Besides providing great service in KC, I don't think Sprint should give any special treatment to KC over other markets. Being loved in a relatively small market does not help in larger cities. I for one love marketing smartly, but I would give up all Arena and sport sponsorships as I don't see any return on investment. Airport ads, billboards, and TV ads are probably much better. I can't turn around and not see Tmobile everywhere I turn.

MCI had the most convenient airport in America prior to 9/11. Drive to your gate concept. All the gates were lined along the departures drive. You got out checked your bags and went through security at your departure gate and got on the plane. But post 9/11, new security measures killed drive to gate once and for all.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 5

Besides providing great service in KC, I don't think Sprint should give any special treatment to KC over other markets. Being loved in a relatively small market does not help in larger cities. I for one love marketing smartly, but I would give up all Arena and sport sponsorships as I don't see any return on investment. Airport ads, billboards, and TV ads are probably much better. I can't turn around and not see Tmobile everywhere I turn.

Well, Arena and sport sponsorships really don't help you if during the game your service sucks because it lacks capacity.  They should do those things if during the game they can still manage ~10Mb down and solid text/call ability.  For all those in the stadium that will be great advertising.  Otherwise it means nothing and people will just say they suck which just smears them even more.

Case in point.  I went to a Rockies game a few weeks back (No Rockies jokes.  I had free tickets, otherwise I don't follow them.) and even those I showed B26 (was B41 before the start of the game) I could not even manage better than .5Mb down.  I switched my phone to 3G and that was worse.  It was obvious the tower was horribly overloaded.  Doesn't really show well for Sprint, does it?

Well, Arena and sport sponsorships really don't help you if during the game your service sucks because it lacks capacity.  They should do those things if during the game they can still manage ~10Mb down and solid text/call ability.  For all those in the stadium that will be great advertising.  Otherwise it means nothing and people will just say they suck which just smears them even more.

Case in point.  I went to a Rockies game a few weeks back (No Rockies jokes.  I had free tickets, otherwise I don't follow them.) and even those I showed B26 (was B41 before the start of the game) I could not even manage better than .5Mb down.  I switched my phone to 3G and that was worse.  It was obvious the tower was horribly overloaded.  Doesn't really show well for Sprint, does it?

Did you report the speed issue you were experiencing in the Sprint Zone App? You still do it manually, even without the GPS auto-location.

Sprint launched a Triband DAS at Kauffman Stadium earlier this year, which I'm sure improved speed/coverage substantially.

ICYMI: some interesting news about Kansas State's Football Stadium getting a new DAS and Public Wi-Fi Network.

There are a lot of politics involved in getting a DAS installed. It takes time, and some factors are beyond Sprint's control. While improving the Macro network is more within Sprint's control (there are still politics/permits, etc), you can help by providing issue reports.

Apologies if already posted:

Here is a biographical article from the KC Star on Marcelo:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/technology/article31927326.html

Really good biographic article.  I encourage everyone to read it!  :tu:

Any pics of Claure's house in Kansas?  Must be huge to have accomodated 300+ people for a Fourth of July "gathering."

• Like 1

Chang respond "Sprint suck.  I make suck more.  I rike T-Mobile."

AJ

• Like 4

Why do they screw around with a guy like this .   Get a search warrant and go in and grab the offending device.  If the interference was intentional, grab the guy and take him to the local lock-up until he makes bail. If this was intentional, make him pay up for the time and trouble involved.

• Like 1

Why do they screw around with a guy like this .   Get a search warrant and go in and grab the offending device.  If the interference was intentional, grab the guy and take him to the local lock-up until he makes bail. If this was intentional, make him pay up for the time and trouble involved.

Due process.  The FCC notifies the offender.  If the offender does not comply, then the FCC, which is part of the Executive Branch, executes laws and applies punitive action.

AJ

• Like 2