Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Diving further into the results which are now posted, Sprint is only behind T-Mobile in data performance by 2.0 points. The area where they struggle the most is data speed and we all know that's about to change.

And the state/national results are in (my general interpretation):

T-Mobile did not win a single reward in any category for statewide results, nor nationwide results.

Unlike all other carriers, T-Mobile's nationwide performance declined, and save moderate improvements in their speed and data performance. They took horrible turns notably in Network Reliability, substantially in Call Performance

RootMetrics tested less miles, but included more indoor tests and overall tests, so this could explain the drop in call performance for all carriers compared to last quarter.

Edited by cortney
  • Like 2

Marcelo just tweeted this! Is Marcelo trying to beat John at his own game?

CMqdPZDUAAACtFN.jpg

icDAk.jpg

Marcelo dropped the mic on this one... Yikes! I mean, where else do you go from here? Oh I know, the 2H 2015 results and 1H 2016 results. :-)

• Like 6

...The area where they struggle the most is data speed and we all know that's about to change.

And, that is the best thing about Sprint.  All their changes are improvements.  Sprint's network has just been steadily getting better for the last 3 or 4 years; yet, they still have so much capacity to grow. 

And as you pointed out, T-Mo seems to have peaked a while ago and is now declining. 

• Like 5

Where would Sprint be if they had 10x10 and 20x20 FDD?

Do you mean 10 MHz FDD and 20 MHz TDD?  I cannot conceive of a realistic scenario in which Sprint would have the spectrum to run 20 MHz FDD.

AJ

And, that is the best thing about Sprint. All their changes are improvements. Sprint's network has just been steadily getting better for the last 3 or 4 years; yet, they still have so much capacity to grow.

And as you pointed out, T-Mo seems to have peaked a while ago and is now declining.

Network Vision gives Sprint a very solid (and hopefully future proof) foundation to build a network on.

"Pardon our dust" has become "Pardon our wake". ; -)

• Like 8

Unlike all other carriers, T-Mobile's nationwide performance declined, and save moderate improvements in their speed and data performance. They took horrible turns notably in Network Reliability, substantially in Call Performance.

Yeah, that VoLTE thing is some pretty "nifty shit."

;)

AJ

• Like 13

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3henlw/rootmetrics_first_half_2015_tmobile_last_in/

Here's where we see what excuses pour in. We've already got "those phones don't have B12" what else makes it in the pool? The iPhone didn't have B12 but that didn't stop it selling on T-Mobile. It didn't stop John Legere pushing it. By all indications he uses the 6 Plus as his primary device. So there's your CEO, not using a B12 device as his driver.

And it starts. Here's my thing. T-Mobile went down slightly in score. Regardless if they didn't have b12 in all markets or didn't have a b12 phone their score should not have changed. It went down instead.

And there wasn't 2xCA on those tests. At least not to my knowledge. Now it's time to start busting arse on the small cells and expanding coverage.

I thought it was posted somewhere what flagship level Android handset that RootMetrics was using for its 1H 2015 testing.  RootMetrics really should divulge that info in its methodology statement.  But RootMetrics probably does not want to be seen as promoting or favoring any device manufacturer.

Regardless, the methodology statement generically implies that the handset in question does not support band 12.  If so, it probably does not support band 41 2x CA either.

Much ado about nothing, though.  T-Mobile simply lacks band 12 spectrum or has yet to deploy in many markets, so any band 12 induced improvement gets largely averaged out.  And Sprint did not push the network software update for 2x CA until near the end of the 1H 2015 testing.  Thus, neither band 12 on T-Mobile nor 2x CA on Sprint likely would have affected the national results more than fractions of a point.

AJ

• Like 7

I thought it was posted somewhere what flagship level Android handset that RootMetrics was using for its 1H 2015 testing.  RootMetrics really should divulge that info in its methodology statement.  But RootMetrics probably does not want to be seen as promoting or favoring any device manufacturer.

Regardless, the methodology statement generically implies that the handset in question does not support band 12.  If so, it probably does not support 2x CA on Sprint either.

Much ado about nothing, though.  T-Mobile simply lacks band 12 spectrum or has yet to deploy in many markets, so any band 12 induced improvement gets largely averaged out.  And Sprint did not push the network software update for 2x CA until near the end of the 1H 2015 testing.  Thus, neither band 12 on T-Mobile nor 2x CA on Sprint likely would have affected the national results more than fractions of a point.

AJ

One big caveat to all of this is that RootMetrics tested each network using a Samsung Galaxy S5. Dey said RootMetrics went to the carriers at the start of the test period to find the device that would provide the best performance on each network. The phone RootMetrics uses, Dey said, needs to provide reliable connections across all carriers, and RootMetrics went with the S5, which does not support Band 12 LTE for T-Mobile's 700 MHz spectrum, which means the testing firm may not have captured the coverage gains T-Mobile is making using that spectrum. However, the tests also did not include devices that could support Sprint's 2x20 2.5 GHz carrier aggregation, so T-Mobile was not the only carrier affected by device choice.

Rest of the article...

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/rootmetrics-verizon-edges-out-att-sprint-stays-no-3-spot-thanks-improved-re/2015-08-18

• Like 5

One big caveat to all of this is that RootMetrics tested each network using a Samsung Galaxy S5.

And that means I am exactly right.  You know, on those rare occasions, I do know what I am talking about.

;)

AJ

• Like 9

The S6 wasn't available at the beginning of the period. The Note 4 was. That said, they were trying to use common handsets that more people would use, and the iPhone isn't the best option for that sort of testing because of how it's locked down, so the GS5 was the best available in January. 

• Like 1

Once in a very rare moment or once in a solar eclipse moment, do u know what your talking about AJ... LOL

Yeah, it is a good thing that I write my articles on The Wall only during celestial events.

;)

AJ

• Like 3

You may have better luck with reliability in one of the many countries you can use you T-Mobile Device with their open world plan. :lol:

• Like 4

You may have better luck with reliability in one of the many countries you can use you T-Mobile Device with their open world plan. :lol:

You mean "Mobile without Borders."  "Open World" is Sprint's similar offering.

Either way, I await the Internet outrage when some people go to work overseas or study abroad for a year, and much to their surprise because they failed to read the terms, they get suspended or outright terminated for excessive international roaming.

AJ

• Like 3

$10 Marcelo is pushing for a move to Miami

Especially because its going to be hard to recruit strong candidates into Kansas with the current political team.

Huh? That comment makes it sound like Sprint is out in the Kansas plains. This is KC we are talking about. Recruiting talent in the Midwest is not an issue.
  • Like 1

Huh? That comment makes it sound like Sprint is out in the Kansas plains. This is KC we are talking about. Recruiting talent in the Midwest is not an issue.

I suspect that jamesinclair has never been to Kansas City.  Even if he has, he is ignorant about characteristics of the metro.

Sprint is located in Johnson County, KS, which is the 81st wealthiest county in the country (per median household income).  No county in Florida, by the way, makes the top 100.  And where Marcelo lives in Mission Hills, KS, it is fully the 13th wealthiest community in the country (per capita income).

The nonsense about not being able to attract talent to Kansas City is, well, nonsense.  People come to work here, and they stay here because they like it.

AJ

• Like 11

Overall, Tmo is farther behind sprint than Sprint is behind ATT. Wow. 

What most disheartening is the persistent chagrin tossed at Sprint as recently as the past two weeks by "experts"  =  "distant 4th place", "not competing"  "no longer competitive"  "last place carrier"

• Like 1

Overall, Tmo is farther behind sprint than Sprint is behind ATT. Wow.

What most disheartening is the persistent chagrin tossed at Sprint as recently as the past two weeks by "experts" = "distant 4th place", "not competing" "no longer competitive" "last place carrier"

These people haven't really gave Sprint attention but I think they will start to now. As far as T-Mobile goes, the report stated about the lack of coverage outside of a city. According to T-Mobile and their maps they have quite a bit of rural coverage with lte. To me it sounds like they are lying especially since their score has regressed.

This report was a slap in the face of the T-Mobile loyalists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by derrph
  • Like 1

These people haven't really gave Sprint attention but I think they will start to now. As far as T-Mobile goes, the report stated about the lack of coverage outside of a city. According to T-Mobile and their maps they have quite a bit of rural coverage with lte. To me it sounds like they are lying especially since their score has regressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, if Tmo had usable coverage everywhere their map claims, they would in many places have rural coverage superior to that of Sprint. 

I am anxious to see the results once RootMetrics gets a device capable of 2xCA, and a band 12 device on T-Mobile. Sprint should finally show some better speed results, and T-Mobile will get a much needed boost in calling reliability (at least in band 12 markets) and data speeds will improve with CA (band 4/12) as well.

These numbers are pretty impressive for Sprint and T-Mobile...considering where they were 2 years ago. And it also highlights the importance of nationwide low band spectrum for T-Mobile. I'd argue that Sprint could use it too, for coverage vice capacity.

• Like 3

KC is not a great city for Millennials. Terrible transit, lots of driving to get around, not a ton of density to allow for walkability and community. So it will be harder to attract young talent there. To KCs credit, it is starting to evolve and it has all the ingredients to become a premier city and the nice weather helps. I should note that these challenges are not unique to KC, but KC is definitely coming around.

• Like 4