Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Is it likely that in order to get subscribers off of grandfathered unlimited plans, Sprint may not allow subscribers to upgrade phones at the subsidized prices? I know Verizon has done this and I would be extremely disappointed if Sprint decides to follow suit. This is assuming that subsidized phones/contract plans still exist in the next couple years, which doesn't seem very likely with all other networks eliminating their contract plans.

No surprise really.  He is one of the last of the Old Guard.  Many of us thought he was going to go a long time ago.

• Like 3

Still no.  In fact if any other carrier decided to sell their PCS spectrum Sprint should jump on it.

Much of Sprint's network is built for 1.9Ghz (as far as density goes)...selling 1.9Ghz would be terrible. That is their primary band for 1x voice service...eventually they will have more 1.9Ghz spectrum once they migrate to voLTE...but seriously, there is nothing wrong with band 25...it's not cooking along at 70Mbps, but it is respectable.

• Like 2

Sprint would be better off to borrow money, or get more Softbank capitalization than to sell PCS.  Or any spectrum for that matter.  No one in their right mind would suggest Sprint sell PCS spectrum.  Crazy.

• Like 14

After selling off all the PCS spectrum, Sprint can then turn around and buy Verizon and Att, easily repurposing those networks to work with Sprints next generation network!!

That should give T-Mobile/Dish competition in a few US cites..

:mad2:  :mad2:

• Like 2

So the CFO is the last old dog left from the top positions. I guess Marcelo came in as the nice guy, gave these individuals a chance  to prove him  their worthy to the company.

Also, when you consider that they used a Galaxy S5 (not a strong RF performer on Sprint)

Really? In my personal experience, the S5 performs way better than the iPhone 6 indoors (B26), and the iPhone has a pretty solid reputation when it comes to rf performance.

This is not unexpected. SoftBank wants their people in, Miyakawa is really the one with the power over the network efforts and they have finally gained traction since he arrived. I don't blame Bye for looking for other opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

This is not unexpected. SoftBank wants their people in, Miyakawa is really the one with the power over the network efforts and they have finally gained traction since he arrived. I don't blame Bye for looking for other opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't blame Sprint for telling Bye to look for other opportunities. ;)

• Like 4

THIS^^^^^^

When I had the T-Mobile test drive recently, I gobbled up 86GB of data in 7 days! Most of it from speed tests and the root metrics app

I will occasionally run one on Sprint, but not often. If my phone is doing what I need it to do, and quickly...who cares?

and TMO doesn't count speed tests against your data cap... 

• Like 1

Really? In my personal experience, the S5 performs way better than the iPhone 6 indoors (B26), and the iPhone has a pretty solid reputation when it comes to rf performance.

Just what I recall hearing is complaints about the GS5 compared to the top performing Sprint RF champs, like the Nexus 5/Nexus 6, etc.  But I may be confusing the GS5 with the GS4 and GS6.  Guilty by association.  In general, Samsung RF performance has been declining though.  But I will concede to your personal experience with the GS5.

:welc2:

Just what I recall hearing is complaints about the GS5 compared to the top performing Sprint RF champs, like the Nexus 5/Nexus 6, etc.  But I may be confusing the GS5 with the GS4 and GS6.  Guilty by association.  In general, Samsung RF performance has been declining though.  But I will concede to your personal experience with the GS5.

:welc2:

I recall several people that have said the GS5 does not do as well as other flagships with RF performance, especially with B26. So you're not making this up :D

• Like 1

I recall several people that have said the GS5 does not do as well as other flagships with RF performance, especially with B26. So you're not making this up :D

I'm not crazy!  Institutionalized!

I am certainly happy the oldguard is out. They were so afraid to spend money that they let the network run down. I blame Hesse and the old board mostly! No vision, no strategy!

Mostly the old board for not providing what Hesse needed in fuel.

Hesse was the right man for keeping the ship floating but he and his crew just didn't know what to do when it came time for moving the ship forward which had a full reserve of fuel because of how long they've fought to just keep it from sinking.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 6

The reason the iPhone 6 is behaving poorly on Band 26 is because either Sprint or Apple, not sure which one, released a crappy Carrier Bundle in iOS 8.3 that causes the phone to drop off of LTE at a much higher signal level than it should. The iOS 9 betas have a much better carrier bundle that cause the device to hold onto LTE like it should, which the general public does not have access to, which is why most people's devices are having crappy RF performance. It's kind of like back when the Nexus 5 had that really amazing radio software that everyone clung onto even though there was a newer one out, because the new one messed up it's amazing RF performance. The only difference is us iOS users don't have that kind of freedom to just choose our radio software.

-Anthony

• Like 3

The reason the iPhone 6 is behaving poorly on Band 26 is because either Sprint or Apple, not sure which one, released a crappy Carrier Bundle in iOS 8.3 that causes the phone to drop off of LTE at a much higher signal level than it should. The iOS 9 betas have a much better carrier bundle that cause the device to hold onto LTE like it should, which the general public does not have access to, which is why most people's devices are having crappy RF performance. It's kind of like back when the Nexus 5 had that really amazing radio software that everyone clung onto even though there was a newer one out, because the new one messed up it's amazing RF performance. The only difference is us iOS users don't have that kind of freedom to just choose our radio software.

-Anthony

How is 8.4 beta doing with holding onto LTE?

Therefore, if they were to do that, it would help for Sprint to financially cover those additional costs by selling the excess PCS spectrum. After all, it would be much better for Sprint to sell some PCS spectrum to cover network densification costs, in which are far more financially beneficial for Spint, in selling for more money than what selling band 41 spectrum would earn for Sprint, which many of these analysts have been suggesting for Sprint to sell its band 41, to which I say "No!!!" to, which is the insanely idiotic thing for Sprint to do. Whereas selling off PCS spectrum that Sprint doesn't have enough of to easily avoid congestion, in favor of expanding their plentiful, capacity-rich spectrum, is quite smart.

Arysyn, I will say this politely but firmly.  When you repeatedly misunderstand the difference between TDD operation in unpaired spectrum and FDD operation in paired spectrum, you have no business hatching pie in the sky plans for how Sprint should manage its spectrum portfolio.  You lack the requisite knowledge to make those recommendations sensible and meaningful.

So, on this topic, quit while you are behind.  Do not make me post the Jim Downey clip again.

AJ

• Like 4