Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

It's an entirely unreasonable vestige of wireless past. Accessories can't be walked back into best buy, walmart or target 11 months later and replaced "cause I bought it here!" Accessories are usually overpriced at the carrier anyway, which is perhaps why folks have felt entitled to the crazy return policy

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Best Buy will send an item purchased there out under manufacturer warranty, even if you don't have their geek squad service plan. It usually takes a few weeks, their existing supply chain shuttles to and from the DDC/DC and service center are utilized.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Here I am on my band 25 device doing a pickup in Alexandria,VA and just getting this on my phone. It isn't about having the fastest speed. It is about having consistent service and reliability.

I fully agree. My wifi at home shows speeds of 35mbps when I run a speed test but when it comes to using it man it's really slow. I'd take reliability over speeds any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

And yet it's as complete as AT&T's LTE 700 network and Tmo's LTE AWS network, nationwide.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

Regardless if all the networks are in same or similar completion, I think the perhaps the biggest problem is that sprints network holes and weak spots are more apparent when you are in them.

lte 1900 vs lower freq/wider bw, plus fallback to cdma vs hspa (in the case of tmo/att) makes it more difficult for sprint to cover weaker spots adequately.

Also, what was adequate for 3g coverage, is not necessarily adequate for good lte service.

Sprint simply has a more difficult position to fill and more restrictive mhz do it with.

Yes yes I know small cells and upgrades continue.

• Like 2

Regardless if all the networks are in same or similar completion, I think the perhaps the biggest problem is that sprints network holes and weak spots are more apparent when you are in them.

lte 1900 vs lower freq/wider bw, plus fallback to cdma vs hspa (in the case of tmo/att) makes it more difficult for sprint to cover weaker spots adequately.

Also, what was adequate for 3g coverage, is not necessarily adequate for good lte service.

Sprint simply has a more difficult position to fill and more restrictive mhz do it with.

Yes yes I know small cells and upgrades continue.

And that's fine and all. But what started this whole discussion is specific arguments how Sprint isn't complete with their initial LTE 1900 deployment, while their competitors are. Which is not true. Their competitors still languish in their initial LTE deployment percentages. Only Verizon has pretty much wrapped that up.

Sprint has lots more work to do and they are still doing it. Marcelo even has his own game plan to take it to Number 1 or 2 in performance and is getting the funding to do it. So it's just going to get better and better. And the difference between 2015 and 2013 is night and day already.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

• Like 6

And the difference between 2015 and 2013 is night and day already.

I agree completely, but that's what makes the still missing spots that much harder to take.

Hopefully these remaining sites will be updated, and/or have newer/replacement sites brought on line post-haste.

• Like 3

The challenge is that everyone has a belief that the cell site that they frequent the most is the end-all, be-all, and should be the most important one on the list. The real truth is that every site that can be worked on, is being worked on. I recently saw a few crews putting up the new Sprint B41 antennas on the Coka-Cola sign, and it was very interesting to see. They had to get a crane to lift up the equipment, and somehow bolt it to the side of a free-standing sign, and cable up RRUs. Just trying to get the work crews access to Coka-Cola's bottling facility just to get onto the roof probably took months. 

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article25159909.html

Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure met behind closed doors Monday morning with Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez, but officials said cellphones were on the agenda and not the Miami soccer stadium Claure wants to secure for David Beckham.

Claure, one of Beckham’s financial partners in the soccer push, pitched Gimenez and top aides Monday on Sprint’s plans to beef up its network and retail presence in the Miami area, according to county officials and a Sprint presentation.

“I don’t know what you guys are here for, but it was not about soccer,” Deputy Mayor Jack Osterholt told reporters shortly after leaving the 7:30 a.m. meeting held at the county’s water department, which is near Gimenez’s home in the Coral Gables area. Claure told reporters when he arrived he planned to answer questions after the meeting, but took a different route when he left and did not speak to reporters.

• Like 5

I'd agree, but we are way beyond months and into years for some sites/areas.

I guess it call comes down to reasonable expectations.

2+ years into a project and upgrades (at any particular site) not completed? that is a mighty long time regardless of outside factors.

• Like 2

Members, please remember not to post full text articles from copyrighted publications.  That is copyright violation, and even one legal action against S4GRU most likely would mean the end of this site.  You may, however, include a cited excerpt and a link to the full text.  The entire community here appreciates that.

AJ

• Like 7

Sprint has lots more work to do and they are still doing it. Marcelo even has his own game plan to take it to Number 1 or 2 in performance and is getting the funding to do it. So it's just going to get better and better. And the difference between 2015 and 2013 is night and day already.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

That 1 or 2 in performance was later edited to only mean in major markets right? If so, that is the part that worries me. I don't consider my area rural or not that big (we have over 500,000 people living here), but it isn't one of Sprint's major markets. I am worried that my area is just about done in Sprint's eyes. And data performance has degraded big time here. I have also heard that we are one of the few areas that Sprint can't deploy band 41. I really don't want to look elsewhere as I have been with sprint since 1999, so I am hoping that they can do more here. I have been to Chicago and Cincinnati and love what they have done.

That 1 or 2 in performance was later edited to only mean in major markets right? If so, that is the part that worries me. I don't consider my area rural or not that big (we have over 500,000 people living here), but it isn't one of Sprint's major markets. I am worried that my area is just about done in Sprint's eyes. And data performance has degraded big time here. I have also heard that we are one of the few areas that Sprint can't deploy band 41. I really don't want to look elsewhere as I have been with sprint since 1999, so I am hoping that they can do more here. I have been to Chicago and Cincinnati and love what they have done.

Your city?

Sent from my SM-N910T

• Like 1

That 1 or 2 in performance was later edited to only mean in major markets right? If so, that is the part that worries me.

This is what worries me, too.  I really wish they'd go nationwide with their densification goals, but it seems like they're only going to focus on major markets, more than likely their 1st round markets from NV 1.0.  I'm just outside the city, in the suburbs.

• Like 1

Why is that?

-Anthony

They don't enough of the spectrum here. We have a company that provides people with LTE data to be their home internet provider (Speed Connect) which owns a lot of the 2.5 spectrum here. I don't even know why they are here (just sprang up in the past year) as we have DSL and broadband from our cable company. Edited by bkco14

I recently saw a few crews putting up the new Sprint B41 antennas on the Coka-Cola sign, and it was very interesting to see. They had to get a crane to lift up the equipment, and somehow bolt it to the side of a free-standing sign, and cable up RRUs. Just trying to get the work crews access to Coka-Cola's bottling facility just to get onto the roof probably took months. 

Deval, I'm curious, where is the facility located at? 

TS

That 1 or 2 in performance was later edited to only mean in major markets right?

Does RootMetrics routinely test your market?  If not, then you may be low priority.  I believe RootMetrics was the implied criterion when Claure mentioned rankings.

AJ

• Like 1

Does RootMetrics routinely test your market? If not, then you may be low priority. I believe RootMetrics was the implied criterion when Claure mentioned rankings.

AJ

They don't test our market at all. Even our local wireless provider doesn't even give us good coverage. I would really like to see data on all carriers for the area, but even sensorly doesn't give us much information. It appears that the only data that is there is for sprint in which I am constantly running speed tests.

2+ years into a project and upgrades (at any particular site) not completed? that is a mighty long time regardless of outside factors.

That's because they are changing strategies. But you know all this. The same people complaining about the same things in the same way is pointless. Nothing more to complain about NV1.0. That program is pretty much over and they are working on anew plan. You now have to watch and start complaining about the new strategy...Marcelo's NGN. And let the complaining commence in 3...2...1...

• Like 1

I haven't seen that quote. But NGN plans are nationwide, and every market. So I'm not sure what you're going on about. I think you may be confusing Marcelo's one quote from a year ago about refocusing B41 on some key cities.

NGN is Marcelo's new plan being finalized now. It involves adding thousands of sites all around the country. While more emphasis is likely on urban areas, there will be impacts nationwide. Sprint has already added B41 to thousands of rural, suburban and exurban sites. And they are not stopping doing that where usage makes sense.

• Like 3

Once Sprint resolves the coverage hole issue and fully powers on band 41 on most of its newly dense network at the completion of NGN, then the network will be extremely powerful, along with having at least 30mhz of that 120mhz band 41 active (15x15). Hopefully this will allow the use of band 41 as a priority, rather than the slower (in my experience) PCS band.

Once Sprint resolves the coverage hole issue and fully powers on band 41 on most of its newly dense network at the completion of NGN, then the network will be extremely powerful, along with having at least 30mhz of that 120mhz band 41 active (15x15). Hopefully this will allow the use of band 41 as a priority, rather than the slower (in my experience) PCS band.

Again, Band 41 isn't paired spectrum. Its is not ever written as 10x10 or 15x15 or any such number. It is a 20MHz block of spectrum, within which the upload and download sessions are time separated, hence Time-Division Duplex LTE (TDD-LTE).

Therefore, there will not ever be 30MHz of B41 utilized. *

(* in extreme spectrum limited areas, it's possible Sprint could deploy a 10MHz block of B41, but not likely).

• Like 2