Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Everyone keeps tossing around the word complete but what constitutes "complete". Sprint has ta lot of spectrum to deploy, is constantly deploying new sites and is even beginning small cells (at least Shentel is). As far as I'm concerned, it'll never be complete. Just as Verizon's network isn't complete and they have been working on LTE since 2010/2011.

• Like 18

Everyone keeps tossing around the word complete but what constitutes "complete". Sprint has ta lot of spectrum to deploy, is constantly deploying new sites and is even beginning small cells (at least Shentel is). As far as I'm concerned, it'll never be complete. Just as Verizon's network isn't complete and they have been working on LTE since 2010/2011.

:goodpost:

Well said. They are always trying to improve their end product. If they reach an overall 100% completion as a provider, than they aren't working towards improvements. 

• Like 3

I know this has been discussed previously, but I'm okay if Sprint decides to raise their unlimited plans. I think as long as people get good quality service and can use their phone how they like, they should pay more.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-claure-unlimited-prices-might-go-later-year-network-getting-better/2015-06-19

If you look at most of the world, Sprint's network would measure very well at this point. The problem seems to be that the other networks are even better here. Lots of people miss the global perspective.

Sprint has already significantly increased their cell count and we're in 1H 2015. It's good to see positive momentum for a change.

That said, there's still a long way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't compare it to the rest of the world. That's like saying housing in the US is going to measure very well compared to Africa. No crap. If you compare the Sprint service to the UK or Europe or Korea or Japan you're probably going to be pretty disappointed.

I've not been around here in a while... Just read the article and a good deal of the comments. I have two very important observations:

1) Some people should not have the internet

2) Some people (ie Fabian Cortez) have WAAAAY too much time on their hands

:roflmao:

• Like 6

I know this has been discussed previously, but I'm okay if Sprint decides to raise their unlimited plans. I think as long as people get good quality service and can use their phone how they like, they should pay more.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-claure-unlimited-prices-might-go-later-year-network-getting-better/2015-06-19

We're already paying too much. Are they bringing on enough customers at the current price point? It doesn't appear so. So how are they going to bring on more at a higher price point? This might be shrewd sales-talk to prod the fence sitters. If it is then very well played by Claure.

I suppose there is always the chance prices could increase, but also consider the overall trend across the entire wireless environment is for costs to go down.

• Like 2

C'mon don't be silly. All sites need to have new equipment (they're within 5% so that's close) and back haul on them . Getting LTE 1900 running on all sites that are going to get it would be a completion. Finishing B26 would be a completion. These are the basics. You complete phases. And it is a fact they haven't completed what they said they're going to do.

Verizon's network might not be "complete," but how much 700 mhz do they have left to deploy? How much 1900?

You can't compare it to the rest of the world. That's like saying housing in the US is going to measure very well compared to Africa. No crap. If you compare the Sprint service to the UK or Europe or Korea or Japan you're probably going to be pretty disappointed.

You certainly can in some instances. If you take at RootMetrics testing of UK networks, their call block and drop rates are more than double that of U.S. carriers on average. Additionally their average speeds are 7-11 Mbps with the only exception being EE often being in the 20Mbps+ range.

C'mon don't be silly. All sites need to have new equipment (they're within 5% so that's close) and back haul on them . Getting LTE 1900 running on all sites that are going to get it would be a completion. Finishing B26 would be a completion. These are the basics. You complete phases. And it is a fact they haven't completed what they said they're going to do.

Verizon's network might not be "complete," but how much 700 mhz do they have left to deploy? How much 1900?

Once again, you're saying completion but you're referring to things that will never be complete. As long as Sprint is still investing heavily into it's network with small cells, new sites, increasing backhaul, etc., nothing will ever be complete. No matter how many times you say it, no carrier is anywhere close to your definition of complete.

• Like 1

We're already paying too much. Are they bringing on enough customers at the current price point? It doesn't appear so. So how are they going to bring on more at a higher price point? This might be shrewd sales-talk to prod the fence sitters. If it is then very well played by Claure.

I suppose there is always the chance prices could increase, but also consider the overall trend across the entire wireless environment is for costs to go down.

I get your point. I think Sprint is going to add a surprising number of both phone and data-only subscribers for Q2, which is perhaps how Claure can justify his comments. Remember, he sees the numbers every day - we don't. I don't have a prediction as far as numbers are concerned, but I think you will see major Sprint growth at the expense of AT&T and T-Mobile, in particular. I predict T-Mobile's growth rate will show a rapid decline and AT&T will go subscriber negative.

I get your point. I think Sprint is going to add a surprising number of both phone and data-only subscribers for Q2, which is perhaps how Claure can justify his comments. Remember, he sees the numbers every day - we don't. I don't have a prediction as far as numbers are concerned, but I think you will see major Sprint growth at the expense of AT&T and T-Mobile, in particular. I predict T-Mobile's growth rate will show a rapid decline and AT&T will go subscriber negative.

Agreed.  T-Mobile's steam is running out.  I'm noticing in many RootMetrics reports that speeds are declining (in a similar fashion as AT&T.)  While Sprint's speeds are often increasing.  T-Mobile doesn't have much more spectrum to spare so they're pretty SOL until somebody with either a lot of spectrum assets or deep pockets (that's willing to invest in T-Mo, at least) decides to purchase them from DT.

Claure wouldn't say something like that, unless he was sure that removing unlimited wouldn't hinder growth.

• Like 4

Agreed.  T-Mobile's steam is running out.  I'm noticing in many RootMetrics reports that speeds are declining (in a similar fashion as AT&T.)  While Sprint's speeds are often increasing.  T-Mobile doesn't have much more spectrum to spare so they're pretty SOL until somebody with either a lot of spectrum assets or deep pockets (that's willing to invest in T-Mo, at least) decides to purchase them from DT.

Claure wouldn't say something like that, unless he was sure that removing unlimited wouldn't hinder growth.

Anecdotal evidence from NetIndex in my market--

In my market Sprint has been hovering around the 9-11 mbps mark for the past half a year since the addition of B25/26 to most  Sprint sites and Clear B41 and new Sprint B41 additions. Tmobile also hovered around 10-12 mbps for the longest time running a 10x10 FDD-LTE network and boosted a little when they swapped it to 15x15 while ATT is around 12-15 mbps and verizon at 15-25 mbps give or take. 

Well.. I'll let these pictures tell the tale. 

1 Month after NV upgrades and mass fire up of Clear B41 + Sprint B25

6mEwfal.png

Sprint B26 is fired up and Tmobile goes "Wideband" 15x15

AiIy7JV.png

Jeic8lp.png

More and more Sprint B41 sites being brought online while T-mobile steadily deploys LTE 700 B12 5x5 (though most not online yet). Note T-mobile starting to slip a little.

LSyOB5S.png

Sprint B41 deployment mostly MIA due to priority markets with a few equipment installations happening at random intervals. T-mobile L700 is still mostly MIA. Sprint 2nd B41 carrier is immininent as findings are steadily appearing in numerous Samsung and Nokia markets.  

QTl7h2b.png

• Like 15

Sadly using NetIndex for my work area, only TMO shows up (9.8) ....for my home area, only TMO show up (20.5) but in two neighboring cities Sprint is 4th @ 8.2

In Los Angeles Sprint still fourth @ 8.6

Granted, we aren't as far along (still can't figure how an area the size of the LA/OC market wasn't at the top of the list) as many areas and we don't have B26 thanks to San Bernardino. I'm praying that the rebanding gets resolved and that 800 come quickly along with significant improvements in site optimization.

B41 is smoking fast when I can keep latched onto it.

But honestly I hope the pricing isn't going up on ED plans (like my ED1500) and just the individual ones!

They have the data - why not look at users and say "Ok you're on unlimited with 4 lines and never go over 20 gb - you get 50GB for the same price and throttled above or we'll cut your bill by $y if you drop to a 30 or 40GB plan"...or "Hayzeus Christmas you're at 90GB on a single line so your new "unlimited" cost is xxxx"

• Like 1

Once again, you're saying completion but you're referring to things that will never be complete. As long as Sprint is still investing heavily into it's network with small cells, new sites, increasing backhaul, etc., nothing will ever be complete. No matter how many times you say it, no carrier is anywhere close to your definition of complete.

So you're telling me LTE 1900, the base LTE service of the entire network will never be complete to the level that they said it would be 4 years ago?

If I said the sky was blue would you tell me it was actually some shade of azure and it never will actually be blue because of how it filters through earth's atmosphere?

So you're telling me LTE 1900, the base LTE service of the entire network will never be complete to the level that they said it would be 4 years ago?

If I said the sky was blue would you tell me it was actually some shade of azure and it never will actually be blue because of how it filters through earth's atmosphere?

It's as complete as AT&T's LTE 700 network and Tmo's LTE AWS network, nationwide.  You're done harping about this here.  From now on every time you reference Sprint not being done with LTE 1900 deployment, you must also add the caveat that AT&T and Tmo have completed the same amount of initial LTE deployment, or your post will be removed.  Moderators take note.

• Like 12

Correct. One thing about the queen of last minute is, AT&T still has a bit of spectrum to still use (PCS and AWS-1, but no one knows the how (much), when or where). This year I've been seeing both deployed, and most of my spottings have been PCS.

They also seem to be filling in some gaps, so I guess the reality of needing density for VoLTE has hit AT&T like VZW. 

Correct. One thing about the queen of last minute is, AT&T still has a bit of spectrum to still use (PCS and AWS-1, but no one knows the how (much), when or where). This year I've been seeing both deployed, and most of my spottings have been PCS.

They also seem to be filling in some gaps, so I guess the reality of needing density for VoLTE has hit AT&T like VZW. 

ATT has been deploying B2 + B4 capacity adds for the past year. They've also started looking at refarming some CL850 B5 where possible and B29 as CA downlink and maybe even some WCS B30. 

• Like 1

It's as complete as AT&T's LTE 700 network and Tmo's LTE AWS network, nationwide.  You're done harping about this here.  From now on every time you reference Sprint not being done with LTE 1900 deployment, you must also add the caveat that AT&T and Tmo have completed the same amount of initial LTE deployment, or your post will be removed.  Moderators take note.

Are we talking about those companies or Sprint?

• Like 1

Are we talking about those companies or Sprint?

Every time you reference that Sprint is incomplete with their initial LTE deployment, you must reference that Tmo and AT&T also have not completed their initial LTE deployment by pretty similar margins.  If you fail to do so, moderators will remove your post.

• Like 6

A complete network is a bad network. Any company that is not constantly improving their network is a company that will be left behind by its competitors.

Also many of us act as if this LTE technology and today's data-hungry market has been around forever. All of this is still rather new for consumers and providers, so for us to see 4 major carriers undertake massive overhauls/deployments of LTE this fast is rather fascinating. AM Radio, FM Radio, and terrestial TV took way longer to develop and deploy than LTE.

So instead of crying about a network not working, can we just sit back and admire human ingenuity working faster and better than ever before seen in our history?!

• Like 12

A complete network is a bad network. Any company that is not constantly improving their network is a company that will be left behind by its competitors.

Also many of us act as if this LTE technology and today's data-hungry market has been around forever. All of this is still rather new for consumers and providers, so for us to see 4 major carriers undertake massive overhauls/deployments of LTE this fast is rather fascinating. AM Radio, FM Radio, and terrestial TV took way longer to develop and deploy than LTE.

So instead of crying about a network not working, can we just sit back and admire human ingenuity working faster and better than ever before seen in our history?!

Reading this reminded me of this clip.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

• Like 8

It's as complete as AT&T's LTE 700 network and Tmo's LTE AWS network, nationwide. You're done harping about this here. From now on every time you reference Sprint not being done with LTE 1900 deployment, you must also add the caveat that AT&T and Tmo have completed the same amount of initial LTE deployment, or your post will be removed. Moderators take note.

Yeah but there is a huge difference between a 10x10 deployment on 700 and a 5x5 deployment on 1900. In my city Att had lte for about a year longer than sprint did and is still probably only has it deployed on ~85-90 percent of there towers but given their greater cell density and the difference in the spectrum that makes for a nearly ubiquitous lte network. Sprint being 95 percent complete is no where near as complete an lte network. Even when my county gets their act together and gets off b26 the cell site density and the 3G only/ no NV 1.0 will mean that sprint will still have noticeable holes in lte coverage.

I don't think you would say NV 1.0 from the perspective of Sprint as a company has been a success story. It hasn't really been a failure but the delays, have hurt the company. Let's put it this way if NGN goes the same way as NV 1.0 and we add another year or year and a half onto Marcelo's 18-24 month claim I think sprint will have some pretty major problems.

And I don't think tech writers who are wondering when sprint is going to achieve this really good network the company has been saying is right around the corner are simple displaying an anti sprint bias, it is a good question.

• Like 2