Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Reading this reminded me of this clip.

Yes, I fondly remember that clip.  And it is entirely true about slow speeds in the wireless industry.

"Give it a second.  It's going to space.  Can you give it a second to get back from space?"

Now, where is that Cingular customer who famously asked, "Hey, when are you guys gonna put up more satellites?"

AJ

• Like 4

Yeah but there is a huge difference between a 10x10 deployment on 700 and a 5x5 deployment on 1900. In my city Att had lte for about a year longer than sprint did and is still probably only has it deployed on ~85-90 percent of there towers but given their greater cell density and the difference in the spectrum that makes for a nearly ubiquitous lte network. Sprint being 95 percent complete is no where near as complete an lte network. Even when my county gets their act together and gets off b26 the cell site density and the 3G only/ no NV 1.0 will mean that sprint will still have noticeable holes in lte coverage.

I don't think you would say NV 1.0 from the perspective of Sprint as a company has been a success story. It hasn't really been a failure but the delays, have hurt the company. Let's put it this way if NGN goes the same way as NV 1.0 and we add another year or year and a half onto Marcelo's 18-24 month claim I think sprint will have some pretty major problems.

And I don't think tech writers who are wondering when sprint is going to achieve this really good network the company has been saying is right around the corner are simple displaying an anti sprint bias, it is a good question.

And yet it's as complete as AT&T's LTE 700 network and Tmo's LTE AWS network, nationwide.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 2

And yet it's as complete as AT&T's LTE 700 network and Tmo's LTE AWS network, nationwide.

And Phoenix may need to realize that if it feels as hot as hell, maybe it is actually hell.  But most other places across the country are more heavenly -- both in temperature and in Sprint network deployment.  So, Phoenix is a devil of an example on which to judge anywhere else.

AJ

• Like 3

So you're telling me LTE 1900, the base LTE service of the entire network will never be complete to the level that they said it would be 4 years ago?

If I said the sky was blue would you tell me it was actually some shade of azure and it never will actually be blue because of how it filters through earth's atmosphere?

Lou is that you?  :busted:

• Like 3

Lou is that you?  :busted:

No, it is not maximus/lou.  But greencat is on the verge of joining him on the outs.

AJ

• Like 6

Every time you reference that Sprint is incomplete with their initial LTE deployment, you must reference that Tmo and AT&T also have not completed their initial LTE deployment by pretty similar margins.  If you fail to do so, moderators will remove your post.

You'll need to provide me with their data if I'm going to reference them. I have the data on Sprint's.

You'll need to provide me with their data if I'm going to reference them. I have the data on Sprint's.

They are similar. You need to say they are similar. Don't do it, and your post will be removed.

• Like 3

You can 80% of $10 or 80% of $10 million. They're both 80%. However, they're not even close to equal. Which would you take?

• Like 1

I'm just supposed to take your word? LOL, That's not shady at all.

And anecdotally, if you observe the AT&T network closely, you would see they have a lot of EDGE/HSPA only sites still out there. And you would see that 85% is accurate. And looking at all the Tmo Sites nationally, especially in rural areas, it is very easy to conclude they are not anywhere near complete on their initial LTE AWS deployment.

The fact you won't recognize these issues that AT&T and Tmo are in nearly identical states of their initial LTE deployments proves to me that you are here just to troll us relating to Sprint. Sprint is in a similar state of initial LTE deployment and you can only harangue them with the in depth data we provide you. If such data could be obtained and put on T4GRU or A4GRU, you would see how Sprint is doing just fine in their initial LTE deployment relative to others.

You are a troll. You have been identified. And your voice will be really limited at S4GRU from here forward.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

• Like 10

Here I am on my band 25 device doing a pickup in Alexandria,VA and just getting this on my phone. It isn't about having the fastest speed. It is about having consistent service and reliability.

• Like 7

Here I am on my band 25 device doing a pickup in Alexandria,VA and just getting this on my phone. It isn't about having the fastest speed. It is about having consistent service and reliability.

Exactly, here Sprint provides a consistent and reliable service and works great where and when I need it to.  I am very impressed with their overhauled CDMA network post-Network Vision 1.0 and LTE has improved ten-fold since last fall when they launched LTE on the SMR band here.  

• Like 3

You nailed it. I've been saying this over and over. Speed means nothing if you have reliability. Speed is all T-Mobile users talk about. Speed is nice to have but if you can't connect to it in a building what do it matter.

In my market I just received an AT&T iPad mini. I've been comparing the coverage to my Sprint Nexus 6 and so far the coverage is identical. Everywhere I have 3G on Sprint the iPad drops to HSPA. I've been into a few buildings where the AT&T iPad would hit no service and I'll have band 41 thanks to the clearwire only tower that's near.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 2

A complete network is a bad network. Any company that is not constantly improving their network is a company that will be left behind by its competitors.

Also many of us act as if this LTE technology and today's data-hungry market has been around forever. All of this is still rather new for consumers and providers, so for us to see 4 major carriers undertake massive overhauls/deployments of LTE this fast is rather fascinating. AM Radio, FM Radio, and terrestial TV took way longer to develop and deploy than LTE.

So instead of crying about a network not working, can we just sit back and admire human ingenuity working faster and better than ever before seen in our history?!

We could if we didn't pay a bill every month.

We could if we didn't pay a bill every month.

Then, do not pay a bill every month.  The choice to have wireless service is yours.

AJ

• Like 2

Then, do not pay a bill every month. The choice to have wireless service is yours.

AJ

No no I'm not saying me personally. I'm saying people won't admire anything if the network isn't working well. Most people don't care how much ingenuity is being put into a network. If the network works they pay for it. If they pay for it and it doesn't work. They complain because they are paying for non working service. We have been spoiled but it is what it is. Besides it's actually much more of a hassle to switch networks than they make it out to be unless you have a device capable of running multiple networks and even then its not always a smooth transition.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No no I'm not saying me personally. I'm saying people won't admire anything if the network isn't working well. Most people don't care how much ingenuity is being put into a network. If the network works they pay for it. If they pay for it and it doesn't work. They complain because they are paying for non working service. We have been spoiled but it is what it is. Besides it's actually much more of a hassle to switch networks than they make it out to be unless you have a device capable of running multiple networks and even then its not always a smooth transition.

You miss greenbastard's point that "[a] complete network is a bad network."  That is one of the most truthful, pithy statements I have read recently.  It is spot on target.

The days of building adequate wireless networks and then standing pat for 5-10 years are over for the foreseeable future.  That is no longer adequate.  Growing pains -- from too many subs to too much "unlimited" usage to too little spectrum to too few cell sites to too many separate bands -- will affect all networks many times over.  And the wireless operators will never get ahead; they will always be playing catch up to a great degree.

Lastly, my prescription is not directed at just you.  It can be applied to anyone, everyone who is dissatisfied with wireless service.  And it does not entail any difficult switch of providers.  If the roller coaster of highs and lows is too much to justify the out of pocket costs, stop paying, and go without.  Wireless service is not an absolute life necessity.

AJ

• Like 4

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sprint-stops-honoring-12-month-warranty-on-non-branded-Sprint-accessories_id70660

Would anyone actually contact Sprint for warranty service on an accessory anyways? I mean...if I had a Onyx speaker and it broke, I would call Harmon Karden...not Sprint. But interesting policy change none the less.

• Like 1

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sprint-stops-honoring-12-month-warranty-on-non-branded-Sprint-accessories_id70660

Would anyone actually contact Sprint for warranty service on an accessory anyways? I mean...if I had a Onyx speaker and it broke, I would call Harmon Karden...not Sprint. But interesting policy change none the less.

You would be amazed how many people come in and say they bought this (random accessory) a while back and it doesnt work. Its Sprints and other carriers fault for enabling people for so long.
  • Like 2

I'm not sure that is unreasonable for people to return to Sprint in that situation. Clearly in the Target-type retailers most people understand that they merely have a return policy. Warranty is handled by the manufacturer. However, in electronics those retailers blur the line. Some have in-house warranty service and others sell extended warranties where they insert themselves into the warranty process for the customer. I don't blame a customer for not being sure which situation applies when it comes to Sprint.

It's an entirely unreasonable vestige of wireless past. Accessories can't be walked back into best buy, walmart or target 11 months later and replaced "cause I bought it here!" Accessories are usually overpriced at the carrier anyway, which is perhaps why folks have felt entitled to the crazy return policy

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 3