Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

By the way, this is another reason I don't like Fox News :

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/06/24/mammoth-study-finds-sprints-4g-network-is-worst-and-its-not-even-close/

That wording is not professional or even honest.

That isn't a Fox News story. That's BGR being aggregated to a Fox site.
  • Like 5

yeah but thats not the way mods work here at times...

Fraydog is a moderator here.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 6

So where do we talk about carrier aggregation excitement?

This is probably the one thing that will make me upgrade my Nexus 5 and my wife's phone as well. Austin is a fantastic Sprint market except for very, very small pockets where you get kicked to 3g (usually doing airplane mode on/off kicks you back to a weak lte signal). 

All things considered I will probably re-up with Sprint in the future.

• Like 4

So where do we talk about carrier aggregation excitement?

This is probably the one thing that will make me upgrade my Nexus 5 and my wife's phone as well. Austin is a fantastic Sprint market except for very, very small pockets where you get kicked to 3g (usually doing airplane mode on/off kicks you back to a weak lte signal).

All things considered I will probably re-up with Sprint in the future.

If I'm not mistaken, aside from the speed benefits of CA, it should also help with edge-of-cell performance (please correct me if I'm wrong), so it might even help you out with those pockets of 3G. [emoji4]

If I'm not mistaken, aside from the speed benefits of CA, it should also help with edge-of-cell performance (please correct me if I'm wrong), so it might even help you out with those pockets of 3G. [emoji4]

Edge of cell improvement is due to antenna design (8t8r) and higher order mimo (4x2 + tm8 dual layer beamforming ).

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 3

Edge of cell improvement is due to antenna design (8t8r) and higher order mimo (4x2 + tm8 dual layer beamforming ).

Sent from my Nexus 5

If I am not mistaken Sprint can't do 4x2 MIMO on PCS due to transmission path sharing with 1x/EVDO.

When I switch to Verizon when the Sony Xperia Z4v is released, my plan is to pre-download most of what I listen to on it at home using WiFi.

Ummm...why not do that to begin with on T-Mobile or when you were on Sprint?

See, this line of thinking is exactly why unlimited will never work. It has to die. People are using it as their personal WiFi in that they download anything they want, even if they have access to WiFi, just because it's unlimited. As soon as you begin to see that tiered data will cost you more if used uncontrollably, you begin to act responsibly as a mobile user is supposed to. I like unlimited for peace of mind, but it has to die. It's been a good ride, but this is why we can't have nice things in this world. I just hope that once every carrier is on tiered data, their prices per GB go down as competition rises.

(And before any of you say that you're paying for 'unlimited', you should go read your terms and conditions about fair usage on both Sprint and T-Mobile's contracts)

• Like 9

If I am not mistaken Sprint can't do 4x2 MIMO on PCS due to transmission path sharing with 1x/EVDO.

Once Sprint transitions PCS to LTE only, they should be able to do higher order MIMO then with the existing equipment then?

If so, that would be a significant improvement in reception, speed, and capacity!

Once Sprint transitions PCS to LTE only, they should be able to do higher order MIMO then with the existing equipment then?

If so, that would be a significant improvement in reception, speed, and capacity!

Yes, up to 4x4MIMO, but the CDMA shutdown is a longs ways off.
  • Like 1

If so, that would be a significant improvement in reception, speed, and capacity!

Only if they deploy a second PCS antenna / rru setup per sector or completely shut down any and all CDMA 1900 services. 

Yes, up to 4x4MIMO, but the CDMA shutdown is a longs ways off.

Oh, I realize that CDMA on PCS won't be going away until the 2020s. But it's nice to think that we will be getting an improvement in cell edge performance, speed, and capacity once that happens.

Only if they deploy a second PCS antenna / rru setup per sector or completely shut down any and all CDMA 1900 services. 

• Like 1

What exactly are you trying to stream? I watch video on YouTube over evdo just fine with 1-2mbps. Spotify, Pandora, YouTube, Netflix etc all work fine with 2mbps.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

1-2 mbps works better over evdo than lte I don't know why but it does.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1-2 mbps works better over evdo than lte I don't know why but it does.

I have noticed the same phenomenon.  Even when the EVDO ping is worse than the LTE.  I believe it's because the signal strength and signal quality is typically pretty low when you are down to just 1-2Mbps of LTE, and possibly nearing airlink saturation for the LTE channel.  However, to get 1-2Mbps of EVDO, you have to have a good signal and quality and the airlink pretty wide open.

I also notice that it's pretty true of WCDMA on AT&T too, versus LTE.

In my mind, I kind of think of it like the slow LTE is a very busy multi lane highway with lots of potholes and the EVDO is a freshly paved narrow country road where you can drive 65 MPH.  You might be able to drive your BMW the same speed on the wide and busy LTE road with potholes as the EVDO road without.  But you are swerving around all the obstacles and dense merging traffic that is constantly threatening to slow you down.

And maybe I just have a vivid imagination.

• Like 9

I have noticed the same phenomenon.  Even when the EVDO ping is worse than the LTE.  I believe it's because the signal strength and signal quality is typically pretty low when you are down to just 1-2Mbps of LTE, and possibly nearing airlink saturation for the LTE channel.  However, to get 1-2Mbps of EVDO, you have to have a good signal and quality and the airlink pretty wide open.

I also notice that it's pretty true of WCDMA on AT&T too, versus LTE.

I have noticed this on WCDMA Tmobile and Sprint. You are probably right. For me I didn't realize how far 3G has come. There are times where it is more reliable than Lte.

• Like 2

Ummm...why not do that to begin with on T-Mobile or when you were on Sprint?

See, this line of thinking is exactly why unlimited will never work. It has to die. People are using it as their personal WiFi in that they download anything they want, even if they have access to WiFi, just because it's unlimited. As soon as you begin to see that tiered data will cost you more if used uncontrollably, you begin to act responsibly as a mobile user is supposed to. I like unlimited for peace of mind, but it has to die. It's been a good ride, but this is why we can't have nice things in this world. I just hope that once every carrier is on tiered data, their prices per GB go down as competition rises.

(And before any of you say that you're paying for 'unlimited', you should go read your terms and conditions about fair usage on both Sprint and T-Mobile's contracts)

It isn't necessarily because I have unlimited data. The reason is T-Mobile doesn't count it as data at all, due to music freedom.

I'm not going any further than that about it, as I'm not a data hog, and when T-Mobile says music streaming is free, than its free. If you have an issue with it, write to Jon Legere and see if he'll respond. He seems busy right now griping about the FCC and finding ways to rip off Sprint's ideas, such as T-Mobile's very odd new "leasing" program hidden as "Jump On Demand".

• Like 1

It isn't necessarily because I have unlimited data. 

Then do it on your Verizon tiered plan.  But you won't.  Because it is exactly because you have unlimited data.  You did not successfully counter any of that green bastard's points.  If anything, you pretty much confirmed it.

• Like 7

It isn't necessarily because I have unlimited data. The reason is T-Mobile doesn't count it as data at all, due to music freedom.

I'm not going any further than that about it, as I'm not a data hog, and when T-Mobile says music streaming is free, than its free. If you have an issue with it, write to Jon Legere and see if he'll respond. He seems busy right now griping about the FCC and finding ways to rip off Sprint's ideas, such as T-Mobile's very odd new "leasing" program hidden as "Jump On Demand".

Just because you have unlimited data does not mean you should use as much as possible. Besides there are other benefits to caching music for offline use. Battery life is a big one, besides having it available when there is no mobile data connection or it is unreliable. I routinely cache music in Spotify yet still have an unlimited plan. Why stream when there is a better option available?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Then do it on your Verizon tiered plan. But you won't. Because it is exactly because you have unlimited data. You did not successfully counter any of that green bastard's points. If anything, you pretty much confirmed it.

Tidal has some much music on it, I couldn't possibly download everything there. The point of Tidal is mainly there to stream music from a catalog of music while a person is searching through it to discover music to listen to at that moment. T-Mobile essentially encourages this use by offering Tidal as part of its Music Freedom program.

Verizon doesn't offer this feature. So, for music I know I'm likely to listen to, I'll download on WiFi before going out in the car which doesn't have WiFi. However, this doesn't mean that there won't be music I'll browse through while in the car and decide to listen to right there and then, which the only option at that moment will either be not listen to, or stream. Since that isn't an issue with T-Mobile, I don't do that, as there isn't a need to, because again, T-Mobile doesn't count it as data on their Music Freedom program.

Tidal has some much music on it, I couldn't possibly download everything there. The point of Tidal is mainly there to stream music from a catalog of music while a person is searching through it to discover music to listen to at that moment. T-Mobile essentially encourages this use by offering Tidal as part of its Music Freedom program.

Verizon doesn't offer this feature. So, for music I know I'm likely to listen to, I'll download on WiFi before going out in the car which doesn't have WiFi. However, this doesn't mean that there won't be music I'll browse through while in the car and decide to listen to right there and then, which the only option at that moment will either be not listen to, or stream. Since that isn't an issue with T-Mobile, I don't do that, as there isn't a need to, because again, T-Mobile doesn't count it as data on their Music Freedom program.

You can stream Tidal on Verizon.  But because you have unlimited usage for Tidal on Tmo, you do it.  That's the frickin' point.  Thank you again for making his point.

• Like 4

Do what everyone else does and set up a play list.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I should also add that the device I'm using on T-Mobile has limited storage. Since the Sony Xperia Z4v will have much more than my current device, the Sony having 32gb will be plenty for those large FLAC files.