LuisBOSS302

New G3 owner, noticed this reported in a few other forums and having the same problem - looking to see if it's a pretty common issue or just the usual vocal minority speaking up.

The compass is bad. Very bad. In Google Maps, I can sit in my office and slowly spin around, and the direction I'm "facing" is either 90 or 180 degrees off the entire time. Downloading a Compass app shows the same thing. I tried a two calibration methods (figure 8 and the three spins methods) and it doesn't seem to get any better.

• Like 1

New G3 owner, noticed this reported in a few other forums and having the same problem - looking to see if it's a pretty common issue or just the usual vocal minority speaking up.

The compass is bad. Very bad. In Google Maps, I can sit in my office and slowly spin around, and the direction I'm "facing" is either 90 or 180 degrees off the entire time. Downloading a Compass app shows the same thing. I tried a two calibration methods (figure 8 and the three spins methods) and it doesn't seem to get any better.

I wonder if any of your co-workers were looking at you from a distance? They probably thought you lost your mind since you were sitting in your chair spinning around slowly and doing figure 8's in the air with your phone, LOL. :)

• Like 4

Does it do it when you are moving, like walking, riding, driving? If not, I'd say it's not an issue at all but maybe I'm just less critical of the compass features of my devices. 

I wonder if any of your co-workers were looking at you from a distance? They probably thought you lost your mind since you were sitting in your chair spinning around slowly and doing figure 8's in the air with your phone, LOL. :)

Haha yeah thank goodness I sit in an office in a quiet part of the building. No one walked by........though there is a window and it's near where people enter\leave the building........hope no one decided to glance over as they were coming in. :)

Electromagnetic interference such as those found in office/building environments can cause issues. Have you tried re-calibrating in an parking lot or field, away from any electromagnetic interference? Also, sitting in your car is just as bad. You need to be standing in an open field outside.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

Does it do it when you are moving, like walking, riding, driving? If not, I'd say it's not an issue at all but maybe I'm just less critical of the compass features of my devices. 

So far it seems to do okay following me when I move, it just points in the wrong direction. Going to test it again when driving in just a bit after calibrating. Compass isn't a huge deal for me - I passed on the M8 because I hated my M7's camera, and I passed on the S5 because 16GB of ram is silly in 2014. A buggy compass I can live with as long as GPS works. It'd just be nice to know if it was a wide spread issue (so hopefully a fix can be released) or if I should look at exchanging.

Electromagnetic interference such as those found in office/building environments can cause issues. Have you tried re-calibrating in an parking lot or field, away from any electromagnetic interference? Also, sitting in your car is just as bad. You need to be standing in an open field outside.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

Yeah I haven't had a ton of time to check it out yet (just got the phone yesterday), so I'll toy around with it some more. Funky compass isn't a deal breaker for me anyway and so far I love the phone - I was mostly just curious what other peoples experiences were with their G3's compass.

The compass always points the wrong direction, even while moving. The GPS locks on to your location just fine, but it's always pointing the wrong way.

The compass always points the wrong direction, even while moving. The GPS locks on to your location just fine, but it's always pointing the wrong way.

So it sounds like it's really not all that uncommon. Next time I'm in an empty parking lot I'm going to drive around in a circle a few times so it'll look like I'm circle strafing (yes, at times I am easily amused).

You might have Sprint reprovision your line again, and check your SIM card. Sounds like there might be an issue there.

Sent from my LG G3

Update: That was exactly what the problem was. Stopped by the local corporate store on my way to work tonight and got it fixed. Thanks.
  • Like 3

Maybe you're just going the wrong way and it's not the compass. [emoji13]

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

What?

Sent from my LG G3

just a little annoyed, my post right before the gps issue 1 was ignored...

Hey anyone had an issue with loose charging port?...if it's wiggled at all it kicks in and out of charge...

I mean it fits tight, but when I pick it up to use it like now, it bounces in and out 

Hey anyone had an issue with loose charging port?...if it's wiggled at all it kicks in and out of charge...

I mean it fits tight, but when I pick it up to use it like now, it bounces in and out

It's a forum. Deal with it.

But no, no charging port issues. Fits almost tighter than I would like. Difficult to connect and remove.

Sent from my LG G3

I'm always amazed by your lack of patience. And to think you're a small business owner that has to provide customer service continually.

Maybe that's why you no patience? All your clients use it up all day. And then we are left with what's left at night. Try some of the yummy Samuel Adams summer brews and then come back and try again. ;)

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

But no, no charging port issues. Fits almost tighter than I would like. Difficult to connect and remove.

Sent from my LG G3

Yea mine is tight to plug in to, which is what makes it all the more weird...

I'm always amazed by your lack of patience. And to think you're a small business owner that has to provide customer service continually.

Maybe that's why you no patience? All your clients use it up all day. And then we are left with what's left at night. Try some of the yummy Samuel Adams summer brews and then come back and try again. ;)

Well yes there's that with the custys to a point most of them are trained so it's good...

It's just that it appeared as if it just got ignored, yet everyone jumped on the GPS thing like a brand new puppy...

Just was expecting a simple yes or no from at least 1 person, like Dk his response was all that was needed....

Course it could be I have decided to cut out soda and portion sizes, and it's my 4th day....

• Like 2

I have disgusting but a amusing story relating to Sam Adams Summer Ale brew. UGH... Gross lol.

I've not had any charging port issues, and I use mine a lot while it's plugged in. Granted, it's only been a couple of days.

Did just have a funky MicroSD card issue though. Put a card in yesterday (32gb, formatted fat32) with a bunch of stuff on it, and over the course of the day used it a couple of times (saved pictures to it, ran some games off it, etc). Everything appeared normal.

Woke up in the middle of the night, checked the time, and all of a sudden got the disconnected MicroSD warning. Reinserted it, it recognized it once, then another disconnected error. Reinserted it, and now it doesn't recognize that particular card at all. Tried a couple of others (16gb, and a 512mb), and it recognized both immediately and properly (512mb formatted both fat and fat32, 16gb some mysterious format that I didn't check but the phone knew it was weird and wanted to format it because it couldn't read it, which was the expected result).

The 32gb still works fine in my tablet, and the data the phone wrote to it is accessible through that. The phone just refuses to acknowledge it's existence anymore. I didn't have time to copy the data off it and reformat it and try again. Might do that today if I get a chance.

I have a 64gb coming tomorrow I'll format in the phone. Hopefully the 32gb being unreadable only by the phone is just a fluke.

UPDATE: When I went to copy the files from the problematic MicroSD card to my PC, it couldn't read it until I restarted my PC. Sure that could be a fluke too, but I'm chalking this up to an aging and seemingly unreliable 32gb MicroSD card.

yea this happened to an older 16 gig card I had a while ago to....sucked lost it all....just like everything else....replace every so often

Yeah, I can't even say for sure how old this one is. Definitely sucks when you lose data....glad mine came to life long enough to copy data off it. Also glad that it appears it was an MicroSD card problem and not a G3 problem. Love this phone so far - hardly miss my M7 boomsound speakers.

Do miss root though...waiting...waiting...

Sent from my LG G3

This is just too easy, I will just let this one slide.

• Like 8