Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

What do you use as your texting app? Do you use Google Voice integration?

I use hangouts and have full GV integration and get ALL (too many) alerts. 

Edit: They do not come as SMS though, they come as popups over whatever you are doing.

They also keep coming OVER AND OVER again every 2-3min after you dismiss them until the alert expires. Maybe you should be thankful you do not get them!?

• Like 1

I have never received alerts.  It has always been on by default.  I am using Textra SMS, and I am not using Google Voice integration.

They would've been nice to have had the last few days.  Quite a bit of severe weather around the Madison area Monday-Wednesday, with most of it being during the overnight hours.

Oh well.  I have other ways to get alerts.

I use hangouts, and also have full Google voice integration. When I got the test, it didn't appear to come up as SMS or anything I had seen before. My entire screen faded out showing only the wallpaper and a giant notification window. It certainly wasn't anything like my EVO had for alerts.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I use hangouts and have full GV integration and get ALL (too many) alerts. 

Edit: They do not come as SMS though, they come as popups over whatever you are doing.

They also keep coming OVER AND OVER again every 2-3min after you dismiss them until the alert expires. Maybe you should be thankful you do not get them!?

Ok, so it sounds like things are working properly for you. You can change the reminder settings I believe. I need to be able to get them, it's important.

I have never received alerts.  It has always been on by default.  I am using Textra SMS, and I am not using Google Voice integration.

They would've been nice to have had the last few days.  Quite a bit of severe weather around the Madison area Monday-Wednesday, with most of it being during the overnight hours.

Oh well.  I have other ways to get alerts.

I use chomp SMS for text.

So it would appear that you have to use Hangouts to get them. I use Textra as well, and have never received an alert. That's rather unfortunate, as we should be able to get alerts no matter what. 

• Like 1

Ok, so it sounds like things are working properly for you. You can change the reminder settings I believe. I need to be able to get them, it's important.

So it would appear that you have to use Hangouts to get them. I use Textra as well, and have never received an alert. That's rather unfortunate, as we should be able to get alerts no matter what.

Yeah for some reason only the system texting app can actually get alerts. If you owned a Galaxy S5, for instance, Hangouts can't get alerts since it too is a secondary texting app. You can only get alerts via the Samsung messaging app. Stupid, but that's how it is.

If the alerts actually come as an SMS, this is likely Textra filtering them out, apps should not do that, maybe contact the devs?? I got the same alerts before the Hangouts SMS integration.

If the alerts actually come as an SMS, this is likely Textra filtering them out, apps should not do that, maybe contact the devs?? I got the same alerts before the Hangouts SMS integration.

I have received alerts while using textra, I've always used it. It actually got to a point a month or so ago where it was going off so much I couldn't sleep through the night lol, so I turned it off.

Has anyone with B41 in their area tested out the new radio? I remember hearing that it was pretty weak on B41 compared to other Spark devices... I would be interested in hearing if the new radio helps at all with it.

I don't see much change here in stl. B41 still does not connect in the same places as my m8.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have received alerts while using textra, I've always used it. It actually got to a point a month or so ago where it was going off so much I couldn't sleep through the night lol, so I turned it off.

The Amber and Severe Alerts? On the N5 while using Textra? Any idea how?

They aren't SMS, and do not display as SMS. It's a different service entirely. Generated at specific cell sites to target small geographic areas. That's why I'm confused, it shouldn't matter what texting app you used (though it seems to matter) because they aren't texts. 

The Amber and Severe Alerts? On the N5 while using Textra? Any idea how?

Yup both of them. Really it was one Amber and a crap load of Severe weather alerts. To be honest I had not touched the settings on the n5 for alerts, and I have not touched anything in textra except to turn dark mode on and sent text sounds, oh and to adjust mms size. So I would think unless you've messed with something your settings should be the same as mine are.

Yup both of them. Really it was one Amber and a crap load of Severe weather alerts. To be honest I had not touched the settings on the n5 for alerts, and I have not touched anything in textra except to turn dark mode on and sent text sounds, oh and to adjust mms size. So I would think unless you've messed with something your settings should be the same as mine are.

Weird. I haven't changed the settings at all, and have never gotten an alert.

Weird. I haven't changed the setting at all, and have never gotten an alert.

Could it be a completely unrelated app? Do you have Xposed installed, I would imagine app oops or Xprivacy could be used to block them.

Could it be a completely unrelated app? Do you have Xposed installed, I would imagine app oops or Xprivacy could be used to block them.

No way to block them like that.

No way to block them like that.

Well what the hell then...I'm severely confused as to why mine work while others don't then...0.o

Sounds like it is an area issue, like eCSFB (but way more serious if ppl aren't getting alerts).

See but two of us are within hours of each other, and I've even gotten alerts in the town listed as his home...

I don't think I received the alert where it makes your phone go off in a while. However I do get the alerts through Google Now!!!!

Google Now alerts are useless, they can be up to 30 minutes late. Sometimes I get them after the warning has already ended.

No, nothing unusual installed, am not rooted or anything either. 

Sounds like it is an area issue, like eCSFB (but way more serious if ppl aren't getting alerts).

These alerts aren't handled by that. I was not getting them before there was any LTE at all around here. I was getting them on my HTC One, GS3 and EVO LTE before my N5.

Google Now alerts are useless, they can be up to 30 minutes late. Sometimes I get them after the warning has already ended.

No, nothing unusual installed, am not rooted or anything either. 

These alerts aren't handled by that. I was not getting them before there was any LTE at all around here. I was getting them on my HTC One, GS3 and EVO LTE before my N5.

I wasnt saying it was handled by eCSFB, obviously not, but a similar issue that maybe some software issue tower by tower is not turned on in certain areas?

My device out of the blue just lit up and did a profile update followed by a prl update. Never seen a profile update get initiated by the network like that before. Is it normal and I have just never seen it happen?

Mine too, and ruined my custom PRL : \