Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Just to recap, at night, I usually turn off mobile data and WiFi (phone would be on the LTE only setting instead of 3g). And my battery drain (before 4.4.3 update) was 1-2%

After 4.4.3 (and now, with 4.4.4), battery drain has gone up to 15% or so - with identical situation (Android OS/Phone Idle take up that - no wakelocks to speak of).

Based on an earlier suggestion in this thread, I switched to 3g only setting (again, leaving mobile data/WiFi off), and now, battery drain is 1-2% only. This is helping with battery life in the daytime too, but that means that I can either sacrifice battery life for better data speed, or sacrifice data speed for battery life... UGH!

I don't have an airave, so not connecting to it at all :(

If you are turning data off, it should make zero difference what mode you are in. That doesn't make any sense. I haven't had any issue like that.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

If you are turning data off, it should make zero difference what mode you are in. That doesn't make any sense. I haven't had any issue like that.

I'm no expert, so I don't know why it makes a difference, but it does. Battery drain, when my phone is set to LTE only, versus 3g only (even with mobile data/WiFi off, and phone left untouched overnight - 8 hours) is very different.

It didn't make a difference till 4.4.3/4.4.4. Well, actually, that's not entirely true - when the tower nearest to me wasn't up/running, my phone would hold a weak LTE signal from a distant tower, and my battery life would be miserable even then (when it was set to LTE only versus 3g). After the tower was brought up a few months ago, LTE signal strength improved significantly (approx -95dBm, versus -108dBm or worse earlier), and this problem went away - till 4.4.3 update screwed it up.

Edit: I meant LTE (recommended) vs 3G setting

I'm no expert, so I don't know why it makes a difference, but it does. Battery drain, when my phone is set to LTE only, versus 3g only (even with mobile data/WiFi off, and phone left untouched overnight - 8 hours) is very different.

It didn't make a difference till 4.4.3/4.4.4. Well, actually, that's not entirely true - when the tower nearest to me wasn't up/running, my phone would hold a weak LTE signal from a distant tower, and my battery life would be miserable even then (when it was set to LTE only versus 3g). After the tower was brought up a few months ago, LTE signal strength improved significantly (approx -95dBm, versus -108dBm or worse earlier), and this problem went away - till 4.4.3 update screwed it up.

Do you have any apps like LTE discovery installed, or Xposed modules, basically anything non play store?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Do you have any apps like LTE discovery installed, or Xposed modules, basically anything non play store?

I do have xposed and gravitybox /xprivacy installed, but after 4.4.3 update, I didn't install anything outside of play store for 3 days or so.. And got the same results.

Not sure if any of those would cause this, but am happy to try removing those.

Wait... You set it to LTE Only and then turn mobile data off? That's probably confusing your device a bit. That's like airplane mode, but not airplane mode.

Or do you mean the "LTE (recommended)" vs "3G" settings.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Wait... You set it to LTE Only and then turn mobile data off? That's probably confusing your device a bit. That's like airplane mode, but not airplane mode.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Sorry... You are right. I meant LTE (recommended) vs 3G

Sent from my Nexus 5

That doesn't confuse the device. It will do whatever you want even if it doesn't make sense.

I have not gotten it either, all I've done is flash the new radio to test it. By the way my findings with the radio are as follows.

It is as good as 2.13 for 1x/evdo/Ehrpd but it picks up LTE better and picks up 1x800 worse. It still is lacking in fringe LTE coverage compared to .15. By that I mean on .15 I can pick up a usable -105 to -115 b25 signal and receive 3-15 mbs down. On the new radio I cannot pick up the signal even if I go on the roof of the buildings I'm in where .15 gives me that signal.

I have not gotten it either, all I've done is flash the new radio to test it. By the way my findings with the radio are as follows.

It is as good as 2.13 for 1x/evdo/Ehrpd but it picks up LTE better and picks up 1x800 worse. It still is lacking in fringe LTE coverage compared to .15. By that I mean on .15 I can pick up a usable -105 to -115 b25 signal and receive 3-15 mbs down. On the new radio I cannot pick up the signal even if I go on the roof of the buildings I'm in where .15 gives me that signal.

Are you certain there aren't eCSFB issues preventing you from connecting with the new radio?

Are you certain there aren't eCSFB issues preventing you from connecting with the new radio?

Yes I'm certain, because I can connect to the tower other places with the new radios

They aren't SMS, and do not display as SMS. It's a different service entirely. Generated at specific cell sites to target small geographic areas. That's why I'm confused, it shouldn't matter what texting app you used (though it seems to matter) because they aren't texts. 

Correct. I'm rooted and using Textra, and receive all of the alerts that my wife's iPhone 5S does.. which isn't many in our area, just an amber alert here and there. We both got a very random flood advisory the other day too, first weather alert we've gotten in a long time. I use Simple Weather Alert for weather alerts anyway, it works very well and I highly recommend it. Developer is responsive to feedback as well.

-Mike

Correct. I'm rooted and using Textra, and receive all of the alerts that my wife's iPhone 5S does.. which isn't many in our area, just an amber alert here and there. We both got a very random flood advisory the other day too, first weather alert we've gotten in a long time. I use Simple Weather Alert for weather alerts anyway, it works very well and I highly recommend it. Developer is responsive to feedback as well.

-Mike

Hahah. I'm not so worried about the weather alerts :P

I get iNWS alerts straight from the national weather service. Beats any app out there, even beats weather radios occasionally.

I'm more concerned about the Amber Alerts and Presidential not alerts coming through. Though I'm still curious as to why the weather alerts don't come through either.

• Like 1

I'm not so worried about the weather alerts

You are a walking weather alert.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Hahah. I'm not so worried about the weather alerts :P

I get iNWS alerts straight from the national weather service. Beats any app out there, even beats weather radios occasionally.

I'm more concerned about the Amber Alerts and Presidential not alerts coming through. Though I'm still curious as to why the weather alerts don't come through either.

Hey I figured you get called back into work for the occasional weather alert too.. ;) Are you sure you're not getting the Amber Alerts? They don't seem to go out 100% of the time they should, but its not a phone issue, my N5 gets the same alerts that my wife's iPhone does. I believe I read somewhere there hasn't been a Presidential Alert yet.. I'm fine with that..

-Mike

Sent from my Nexus 5

Actually, yes it does make a difference what mode you're in, unless you're going into airplane mode. With mobile data off, the radio actually connects to the best tower that it can, and that means it will connect to LTE if it can if LTE is enabled. It just won't transfer any data, but calls will still work, and eCSFB on Triband phones will still work to transfer you from LTE to CDMA if you call or get a call. That means that if you are in an LTE fringe zone or if eCSFB is not enabled on your best tower, the radio will still do the LTE scanning as normal and drop back down to 3G. This still affects battery life as normal, but not as badly as when you're continually transferring data.

I know because I have personal experience with this. Just go into a really strong LTE zone and turn off mobile data. You'll still see yourself connected to an LTE tower. You really have to change it to 3G only to only connect to 3G.

Anyone get 4.4.4 OTA pushed to their device yet?

I got the 4.4.4 OTA update today. I accepted it without thinking and messed up my root access. Guess I'll be re-rooting.

Robert

5atysety.jpg

I also got the 4.4.4 update today. I moved the download over to my storage folder and flashed via TWRP. The flash went fine, but upon booting, I noticed that I had lost root. I flashed SuperSU and have root again.

adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-hammerhead.img

how to re-root if you are unlocked without even flashing a custom recovery.

• Like 1

Hey I figured you get called back into work for the occasional weather alert too.. ;) Are you sure you're not getting the Amber Alerts? They don't seem to go out 100% of the time they should, but its not a phone issue, my N5 gets the same alerts that my wife's iPhone does. I believe I read somewhere there hasn't been a Presidential Alert yet.. I'm fine with that..

-Mike

I'm positive I'm not getting Amber Alerts. There were several earlier this year, and I didn't get one of them. And I haven't gotten any of the Flood or Tornado alerts either.

There's never been a Presidential alert, let's hope there never is!

• Like 1

I'm positive I'm not getting Amber Alerts. There were several earlier this year, and I didn't get one of them. And I haven't gotten any of the Flood or Tornado alerts either.

There's never been a Presidential alert, let's hope there never is!

Have you asked Google about it? It seems as if your n5 is defective or a software glitch.