Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Its about 8-10 better. I've had my n5 hold onto a -129dbm b25 signal(usable at 4mb down),

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That would do wonders in my area.  Definitely gonna give it some more thought.  Probably will take the plunge whenever the spark update hits the N5 since there are some B26 sites lighting up on my daily commute.  Thanks for the information.

i Hope this update fixes the constant data drop of 3g.  When on lte its fine.  I will have -50dbm and looses 3g comes back in seconds.   Google blames it on sim card.  I got it swapped

That would do wonders in my area.  Definitely gonna give it some more thought.  Probably will take the plunge whenever the spark update hits the N5 since there are some B26 sites lighting up on my daily commute.  Thanks for the information.

At my house my g2 barely gets b26, while the nexus barely get b25, and b26 from -105 to -110 area. 1x is about 5-15 Dbm better on my n5. The n5 was better than my s4 rf wise. I get -90 to -95dbm from a tower 14 miles away, and thats with pine trees everywhere
  • Like 1

Its true. Its about 10dbm lower. I made a call a block from a tower and saw -41. I didn't know it went that low :)Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

oh no i've seen mine as low as -25 to -30 and LTE as low as -40
  • Like 1

oh no i've seen mine as low as -25 to -30 and LTE as low as -40

Yep, if you are very close to the site and can get up high in front of the antennas.  You normally do not get that good of levels if you are very close and somewhat UNDER the antennas.   It will be a good level under the antennas, but the signal is not aimed downward to any great degree.

Yep, if you are very close to the site and can get up high in front of the antennas.  You normally do not get that good of levels if you are very close and somewhat UNDER the antennas.   It will be a good level under the antennas, but the signal is not aimed downward to any great degree.

Oh this ive gotten on 2 sites, and a little bit away. One site is pretty close to the ground prolly 10 stories up, i think.

I will be getting my n5 on monday and cant wait to tinker. Can anyone explain to me the difference between stock roms and aosp roms? Also which are you using?

A "stock" ROM is whatever comes installed on a device when it is purchased brand new. AOSP stands for Android Open Source Project, and an AOSP ROM refers to one that just runs Android without any custom launchers or skins like HTC Sense or Samsung TouchWiz on top of it.

The Nexus 5, like all Nexus devices, comes with AOSP. So the stock ROM is just regular Android.. which has come a long way from its early days, and has many of the same features the custom launchers have.

-Mike

• Like 1

A "stock" ROM is whatever comes installed on a device when it is purchased brand new. AOSP stands for Android Open Source Project, and an AOSP ROM refers to one that just runs Android without any custom launchers or skins like HTC Sense or Samsung TouchWiz on top of it.

The Nexus 5, like all Nexus devices, comes with AOSP. So the stock ROM is just regular Android.. which has come a long way from its early days, and has many of the same features the custom launchers have.

-Mike

Yea I understand that AOSP is stock android with no custom framework but I just didn't understand if there was a difference from the AOSP and stock builds. For instance why is there a 'nexus 5 android development' and a 'nexus 5 original android development'. For HTC development I know this means different roms between Sense and AOSP respectively, but why is this distinction there on nexus phones? Do the kernels work with roms on either forum?

Yea I understand that AOSP is stock android with no custom framework but I just didn't understand if there was a difference from the AOSP and stock builds. For instance why is there a 'nexus 5 android development' and a 'nexus 5 original android development'. For HTC development I know this means different roms between Sense and AOSP respectively, but why is this distinction there on nexus phones? Do the kernels work with roms on either forum?

I think you are referring to the different forums on XDA, which is a different website..?

-Mike

For the Nexus 5, stock ROMs come with Google's suite of apps like the Google Now Launcher, Chrome instead of the AOSP Browser, Hangouts instead of the AOSP messaging app, etc. That's essentially the main difference between them, since AOSP ROMs are usually built from source and require a separate Google apps package. Other than that, for the Nexus, a lot is the same.

Edit: Meant AOSP browser for comparing to chrome. :P

• Like 1

i Hope this update fixes the constant data drop of 3g. When on lte its fine. I will have -50dbm and looses 3g comes back in seconds. Google blames it on sim card. I got it swapped

could it be it's scanning for lte and drops the connection since there's only one radio path?

For the Nexus 5, stock ROMs come with Google's suite of apps like the Google Now Launcher, Chrome instead of the AOSP Launcher, Hangouts instead of the AOSP messaging app, etc. That's essentially the main difference between them, since AOSP ROMs are usually built from source and require a separate Google apps package. Other than that, for the Nexus, a lot is the same.

Great explanation thanks, I was a bit confused.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Come to the conclusion that battery life is 'meh' with this phone, even with battery guru. I had it fully charged when I went to bed last night and left it off the charger.. Woke up 7 hours later and it was at 34 percent. And regular usage gives me at most 6 hours. Anyone have similar experiences?

Also, the 'NEXUS' letters are starting to fall out on the back of my phone. Basically little plastic strips. Kind of annoying because it fills with dirt now.

Sorry for being a negative Nancy. But basically I love everything else about the phone, don't get me wrong

Come to the conclusion that battery life is 'meh' with this phone, even with battery guru. I had it fully charged when I went to bed last night and left it off the charger.. Woke up 7 hours later and it was at 34 percent. And regular usage gives me at most 6 hours. Anyone have similar experiences?

Also, the 'NEXUS' letters are starting to fall out on the back of my phone. Basically little plastic strips. Kind of annoying because it fills with dirt now.

Sorry for being a negative Nancy. But basically I love everything else about the phone, don't get me wrong

Wakelock bugs are the main causes for shoddy battery life. Supposedly many of these bugs are fixed in the next android update. 

• Like 1

I bought the phone on Friday. Such a nice phone. I, too, am suffering from terrible battery life. Maybe 7 hours of hard usage. I can see the battery drop 1% nearly every minute or two.

Sounds like a fair criticism to me; no need to sugarcoat it, you won't be doing others any favors.  The real rub is that Android 4.4, the Snapdragon 800, and single path radios are all hailed as being the most energy efficient in their respective classes.  Makes you wonder what's drinking all the juice.

Personally I find it to be a little worse than my EVO LTE, which some may find as odd considering the SVDO and smaller battery, but all in all the Nexus is a great device.  

I bought the phone on Friday. Such a nice phone. I, too, am suffering from terrible battery life. Maybe 7 hours of hard usage. I can see the battery drop 1% nearly every minute or two.

Within a few days you should see the battery increase as the ROM has to settle. Android devices does this when ever you have a fresh install. New phone, factory resets, and installing new roms/updates.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Within a few days you should see the battery increase as the ROM has to settle. Android devices does this when ever you have a fresh install. New phone, factory resets, and installing new roms/updates.

Sent from my Nexus 5

That's good to know. I'm relatively new to android, but this phone is so nice and fast, I can easily see it being a daily driver. Feels great in the hand, too. I'm using it naked. It's just so simplistic and fast. I don't miss bloat or OEM ui's at all. And after being subscribed to this thread for at least a year, everything I've read is true. What is up with the radio in this phone? What makes it so superb? And, why isn't that a standard across all phones?

That's good to know. I'm relatively new to android, but this phone is so nice and fast, I can easily see it being a daily driver. Feels great in the hand, too. I'm using it naked. It's just so simplistic and fast. I don't miss bloat or OEM ui's at all. And after being subscribed to this thread for at least a year, everything I've read is true. What is up with the radio in this phone? What makes it so superb? And, why isn't that a standard across all phones?

Well when comparing the radio in this device to other devices. The nexus always have better signal. When I went in the sprint store to check out this phone before i ordered it online. The nexus was the only phone on display with LTE connectivity which made the decision easy for me. I think every OEM tries their best to make the radio performance on their devices the best but different variable hinder the radio performance.

Sent from my Nexus 5