Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Come to the conclusion that battery life is 'meh' with this phone, even with battery guru. I had it fully charged when I went to bed last night and left it off the charger.. Woke up 7 hours later and it was at 34 percent. And regular usage gives me at most 6 hours. Anyone have similar experiences?

Also, the 'NEXUS' letters are starting to fall out on the back of my phone. Basically little plastic strips. Kind of annoying because it fills with dirt now.

Sorry for being a negative Nancy. But basically I love everything else about the phone, don't get me wrong

I get 21 hours with 4.5 hours of screen time, using battery guru and Franco's kernel. Before Franco's kernel I regularly saw 3-3.5 hours of screen time with 14-16 hours(a full days usage). By screen time I mean moderate usage: email, lots of texts, about 35 minutes of 8ball, tapatalk on and off thought the day, facebook, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I get 21 hours with 4.5 hours of screen time, using battery guru and Franco's kernel. Before Franco's kernel I regularly saw 3-3.5 hours of screen time with 14-16 hours(a full days usage). By screen time I mean moderate usage: email, lots of texts, about 35 minutes of 8ball, tapatalk on and off thought the day, facebook, etc.

How?! I tried using greenify as well but it caused my alarm clock not to go off and I missed class. I was pissed so I deleted it. I honestly don't notice much of a difference with battery guru. And what's Franco's Kernel?

How?! I tried using greenify as well but it caused my alarm clock not to go off and I missed class. I was pissed so I deleted it. I honestly don't notice much of a difference with battery guru. And what's Franco's Kernel?

Its a kernel made by a guy named Franco. He exclusively works on nexus devices and his kernel is the best I've tried, it even offers color control which is cool.

Within a few days you should see the battery increase as the ROM has to settle. Android devices does this when ever you have a fresh install. New phone, factory resets, and installing new roms/updates.

Sent from my Nexus 5

This is BS. Android is software. There is no "settle" time when you update because it's all electronic bits and bytes. You'll notice any differences within the first day and after that not much will change. Your usage habits affect the battery life more than any other factor..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This is BS. Android is software. There is no "settle" time when you update because it's all electronic bits and bytes. You'll notice any differences within the first day and after that not much will change. Your usage habits affect the battery life more than any other factor..Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

On every android device Ive owned I have noticed this.

Sent from my Nexus 5

This is BS. Android is software. There is no "settle" time when you update because it's all electronic bits and bytes. You'll notice any differences within the first day and after that not much will change. Your usage habits affect the battery life more than any other factor..

There is a settling time for software to tune according to your usage, accounts and syncing etc..

Franco is awesome! I get an average of 4hr screen on time 20hrs total.

It doesn't make sense. If some guy can create awesome battery life, why can't a multi-billion dollar company like Google do the same?

It doesn't make sense. If some guy can create awesome battery life, why can't a multi-billion dollar company like Google do the same?

Its akin to overclocking or underclocking the CPU, all these manufactures have specs for each part. And a lot of times features are disabled for a number of reasons in the name of stability. A lot of these programmers push the limits of these components. Its like BMW electronically limits a lot of there cars to 155Mph even though most do well over that.

Well I'd have to say different people are going to have different ideas, so they don't have his unique talent on their team which is why his kernel is different. Maybe his kernel operates a way that doesn't meet Google's ideas of "standards." I couldn't really tell you to be honest, those are my guesses though.

I haven't even bothered to undervolt yet either...I imagine I could ink out more screen time if I wanted to. Please do note that I bought his app to tweak settings more(btw his audio setting tweaks for headphones make a night and day difference in quality).

It's actually pretty hard to undervolt a Snapdragon 80x by more than 50 MV or so in most cases without frequent reboots. Krait 400 cores run on the low side already. Of course, in the world of undervolting, each individual device is wildly different and may tolerate much lower voltages than most others.

And if you have dramatic battery loss, check Settings>Battery and see if a particular app has a really high percentage.

There is a settling time for software to tune according to your usage, accounts and syncing etc..

Android doesn't do this. Sync occurs on a regular interval. Nothing is "tuned" to your usage.

Android doesn't do this. Sync occurs on a regular interval. Nothing is "tuned" to your usage.

Maybe I didn't elaborate well, What I meant was, depending on how much data needs syncing, like photos, contacts, music, apps etc (also cell reception)this could vary wildly depending on user. Also, usage tends to taper off when the user gets over the wow factor of the device. Since the Snapdragon has excellent idle battery life(Franco makes it even better)combine that with a clean android experience, that can greatly affect the users overall battery.  

So when i say "tuned" I mean everything has been synced and the user has settled on his or her particular setup. 

It is a well known fact, that the nexus 5 battery improves over the course of the first few weeks.

I hope that makes more sense..

Also, about android not "tuned" depending on usage, not the os itself, but, Qualcomm's own Battery Guru does precisely that, tune according to usage.

Maybe I didn't elaborate well, What I meant was, depending on how much data needs syncing, like photos, contacts, music, apps etc (also cell reception)this could vary wildly depending on user. Also, usage tends to taper off when the user gets over the wow factor of the device. Since the Snapdragon has excellent idle battery life(Franco makes it even better)combine that with a clean android experience, that can greatly affect the users overall battery.

So when i say "tuned" I mean everything has been synced and the user has settled on his or her particular setup.

It is a well known fact, that the nexus 5 battery improves over the course of the first few weeks.

I hope that makes more sense..

Also, about android not "tuned" depending on usage, not the os itself, but, Qualcomm's own Battery Guru does precisely that, tune according to usage.

I can agree with the first paragraph. This is what really causes the difference, not anything system level. As far as the system is concerned 5th day of usage = 1st day of usage. The environment will always be the most important factor no matter how long you've have the device.

I'm thinking it'll be the normal logo, because Google won't only push the update to select phones and I doubt the other carriers want the spark logo associated with their network.

I was only joking! It would be funny if that was the reason :P

-Luis

Come to the conclusion that battery life is 'meh' with this phone, even with battery guru. I had it fully charged when I went to bed last night and left it off the charger.. Woke up 7 hours later and it was at 34 percent. And regular usage gives me at most 6 hours. Anyone have similar experiences?

ick - that is just not right. Overnight (10pm to 6am), my battery drops from 100% to 96-97%. With zero usage, any more drop is really unreasonable. I usually don't get many Emails in the night etc, so data usage is minimal as well.

A few things that you could check in the morning (when you notice such drastic battery level drop):

1. Battery usage (settings/battery) - what apps/processes used up the battery, and what percentage? For the top offenders, check how long they kept your CPU on
  2. Check if you are in a good cell coverage area.

One other suggestion - after a full charge at night, just reboot your phone and see if that makes an improvement with the battery level in the morning.

I typically try to stay away from custom kernals, but you guys think Franco's Kernel is all it's cracked up to be?

Yeah, I download and flash each revision immediately (I felt the same way until I wanted to extended my battery life). 4-5 hours of screen time is too good to pass up lol

• Like 1

great battery life but you barely used your phone.... Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My battery life is great too if it's just sitting on my night stand lol.  Problem is I tend to use mine, but to each his own  :P

Haha, not entirely true. It does get used while I'm at work, mainly for texting and breaking news alerts. But that's about it. When you have two large monitors sitting in front of you all day, why use a tiny little screen??? :P

• Like 1