Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Is there any special way of flashing a kernel? And what exactly does flashing a kernel do? (I googled it but it all sounds really complicated)

-Luis

You just boot into recovery and flash it. For instance for twrp its install, select the kernel, and swipe to install. As to what it does, it puts a custom kernel over the pre installed one. Other than that I don't really know lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You just boot into recovery and flash it. For instance for twrp its install, select the kernel, and swipe to install. As to what it does, it puts a custom kernel over the pre installed one. Other than that I don't really know lol

Does it affect updates and I have xposed installed with a couple of other apps that require root access. Any interference with that?

-Luis

Does it affect updates and I have xposed installed with a couple of other apps that require root access. Any interference with that?

-Luis

If you are talking about system updates like the spark update, you can not have any root, or a modded system for it to update. It will fail to do the update, if done OTA

Have we figured out why the massive amount of instances of being kicked off for a split second? Tia. Doesn't seem to discriminate network type or location.

PRL or profile issue?

• Like 1

Is there any special way of flashing a kernel? And what exactly does flashing a kernel do? (I googled it but it all sounds really complicated)

-Luis

If you're concerned about messing it up, he has an app in the play store for $5.50, Franco kernel updater. It will let you back up your stock as well as download and auto flash his. Its well worth it IMO. I've been using Franco kernel for about a week now and I'm impressed with the battery savings. Xposed works just fine, and I kept root as well.

Crap. I started messing around with the color profile and now I can't set it back to normal. I tried restarting the N5 and erasing the app and reinstalling but nothing. How do I reset the color profile to the regular nexus5 colors?

-Luis

Crap. I started messing around with the color profile and now I can't set it back to normal. I tried restarting the N5 and erasing the app and reinstalling but nothing. How do I reset the color profile to the regular nexus5 colors?

-Luis

It works fine with xposed, I'm using it right now. Just flash the stock 4.4.2 image before taking the update (its simpler that way or the stock kernel is available on XDA).

To reset the color profile just flash an older version of the kernel and flash back the new one; unless you've changed things all your settings should revert to stock after each reboot.

• Like 1

-Luis

Go to load profile and select the "stock" one.
  • Like 1

I have a couple questions. I just had a call go straight to voice mail. No missed call just straight to voice mail. Could I have messed up a setting somewhere? Or is this the random crude we are putting up with right now?

The other question is I was looking at the settings quick toggles pull down and the "LTE" tile had the text orange then it went to grey like normal and back to orange a few times. What does that mean. I am getting a -80 signal it know its not losing the connection.

I have a couple questions. I just had a call go straight to voice mail. No missed call just straight to voice mail. Could I have messed up a setting somewhere? Or is this the random crude we are putting up with right now?

The other question is I was looking at the settings quick toggles pull down and the "LTE" tile had the text orange then it went to grey like normal and back to orange a few times. What does that mean. I am getting a -80 signal it know its not losing the connection.

for the first, does it ring on the other side or not?  if it does, could be an issue with GV/hangouts.  

for the second, I believe data connections turn orange when the device is connected to a network but no data is being transfered. apparently, Airplane mode toggle should help.  Happens to me randomly with any type of data connection.

It works fine with xposed, I'm using it right now. Just flash the stock 4.4.2 image before taking the update (its simpler that way or the stock kernel is available on XDA).

To reset the color profile just flash an older version of the kernel and flash back the new one; unless you've changed things all your settings should revert to stock after each reboot.

Yeah i restarted the device and the colors went back to normal. I found some hideous profiles. Why any one wants colors that are ridiculously blown out is beyond me.

Go to load profile and select the "stock" one.

Thank you! I found it! Now I know for next time. :)

-Luis

• Like 1

Yeah i restarted the device and the colors went back to normal. I found some hideous profiles. Why any one wants colors that are ridiculously blown out is beyond me.

Thank you! I found it! Now I know for next time. :)

-Luis

I'd guess for the same reason people enjoy over saturated screens instead of life like looking screens. People have been told that's the way things "really" look and are dumb enough to believe it lol. By the way skip revision 39 of the kernel if you can, it was causing lock screen issues for me and I had to force my phone to reboot to fix it. Revision 40 has had zero issues for me though.

At least spark isn't the only thing I'm waiting on

1. Spark/likely 4.4.3

2. 3D on Xbox one

3. Any LTE on my home tower

4. W8.1 update (today, but not showing up yet)

5. Chromecast support for watch ESPN and NBC sports live extra apps

• Like 1

I'd guess for the same reason people enjoy over saturated screens instead of life like looking screens. People have been told that's the way things "really" look and are dumb enough to believe it lol. By the way skip revision 39 of the kernel if you can, it was causing lock screen issues for me and I had to force my phone to reboot to fix it. Revision 40 has had zero issues for me though.

Thank you for the advice. I actually have revision 40 installed.. So far, honestly, the battery life isn't that great. Everyone online says they get about 4 hours of screen on time. I got 2.5 (which is what I normally get), but I'll give it another day or two. I do love being able to make the speaker and headphones louder. I have come to love the more real colors of the N5, and I used to love the HTC One (M7) screen.

-Luis

I've had this issue in my area as well. It looks like it is something to do with the network (not the phone). If I keep my phone on 3g only (even when I'm connected to WiFi), I never have this issue of missing calls. But occasionally, when I'm connected to LTE (again, also connected to WiFi), even with -90dBm or better signal strength, I miss calls. It happened fairly often in the past couple of months (but the tower near my work location was being upgraded).

So, if that is happening very often, try to switch to the 3g radio and see if the problem goes away.

Thank you for the advice. I actually have revision 40 installed.. So far, honestly, the battery life isn't that great. Everyone online says they get about 4 hours of screen on time. I got 2.5 (which is what I normally get), but I'll give it another day or two. I do love being able to make the speaker and headphones louder. I have come to love the more real colors of the N5, and I used to love the HTC One (M7) screen.

-Luis

For headphones I set volume to 2, and gain to -1 Its so much better. What's your brightness set to? Mines at 30% and I'm using battery guru also so that might make a difference.

For headphones I set volume to 2, and gain to -1 Its so much better. What's your brightness set to? Mines at 30% and I'm using battery guru also so that might make a difference.

I probably sound like a noob, but why put the gain in negative?

-Luis

for the first, does it ring on the other side or not?  if it does, could be an issue with GV/hangouts.  

for the second, I believe data connections turn orange when the device is connected to a network but no data is being transfered. apparently, Airplane mode toggle should help.  Happens to me randomly with any type of data connection.

Orange data icons, whether Wifi, 3G, or LTE, simply means you're not connected to Google's Services at that moment in time. You could technically have a perfect internet connection, but if Google's services are down, the icons will be orange. If you're using a custom ROM, it's possible that they can change the orange to mean "connected with no active data transfer", but the little up and down arrows usually indicate that, whereas orange means not connected to Google services.

As for the straight to voicemail issues, I've had that, but only when in a fringe signal area like where I work. I personally don't use GV or Hangouts.

For the missed call, if could be CSFB not functioning properly in your area at the time. Or you had too weak of signal for CSFB to function properly.

The orange bars, as someone already said, just means you don't currently have a connection to Google services. It may be just for a moment, or something's wrong with them. I've been a on few WiFi connections that seem to block the connection to Google, so they were orange the whole time even though I could get other websites to load.

I probably sound like a noob, but why put the gain in negative?

-Luis

I don't really know, I just followed the guide one of the guys who helped Franco with the audio tweaks put together. He's an audiophile and carries a mobile DAC setup with him everywhere. So I trust his word and it sounds a lot better.

At least spark isn't the only thing I'm waiting on

1. Spark/likely 4.4.3

2. 3D on Xbox one

3. Any LTE on my home tower

4. W8.1 update (today, but not showing up yet)

5. Chromecast support for watch ESPN and NBC sports live extra apps

Please PLEASE for number 5

• Like 1