Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Maybe the reason the N5 hasn't received the Spark update is because Sprint wants the data logo to be the spinning Wal-Mart thing, and Google just wants it to be the regular LTE symbol...?

-Luis

(trolling btw, but an amusing thought)

Maybe the reason the N5 hasn't received the Spark update is because Sprint wants the data logo to be the spinning Wal-Mart thing, and Google just wants it to be the regular LTE symbol...?

-Luis

(trolling btw, but an amusing thought)

I'm thinking it'll be the normal logo, because Google won't only push the update to select phones and I doubt the other carriers want the spark logo associated with their network.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You must have gotten one of the rare ignorant employees. They explicitly instruct them to get a manager instead of saying no. The one I worked at was in the top 40 in sales for the country so we did a bit more than others to get sales. Personally I'm a fan of shopping where you get the best deal, period.

The store I work at does this as well. I'm not in the store all the time (I do home delivery) but we always try to find a solution instead of just saying no.

I'm thinking it'll be the normal logo, because Google won't only push the update to select phones and I doubt the other carriers want the spark logo associated with their network.

I'd be willing to bet it'll be a regular logo too.  I would love something to differentiate it, like say, a little asterisk or star or something, but NOTHING animated.  That said, I'll certainly be more than happy with literally no change to the icon.

Just bought a N5 off swappa. Do i need to flash a radio/firmware to get the spark update?

We don't have the spark update yet. If you want to have a hit and miss chance of connecting to b41 or b26 flash the .15 baseband/radio. Back up your efs partition first through! Then you need to enable the bands through hidden menus(you'll need your msl).

Here's a link for the radios: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2514095

Edited by kojitsari
  • Like 1

We don't have the spark update yet. If you want to have a hit and miss chance of connecting to b41 or b26 flash the .15 baseband/radio. Back up your efs partition first through! Then you need to enable the bands through hidden menus(you'll need your msl).

Here's a link for the radios: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2514095

I see I was under the impression that this phone already had the spark update, I didnt do that much research and kind of made an impulse buy due to my old phone breaking. I am not afraid to tinker around and try this but why do you say this is hit and miss? From your own experience?

I see I was under the impression that this phone already had the spark update, I didnt do that much research and kind of made an impulse buy due to my old phone breaking. I am not afraid to tinker around and try this but why do you say this is hit and miss? From your own experience?

From my experience and multiple others on here. Some people connect to b41 without a hitch, other say they need to have a nonexistent b25 signal for it to pick up, some of us can't get 41 even if were sitting under a tower(in Kansas city a spark market for me...). You'll have to airplane toggle/prl update to get it to scan for the band though(for some reason it won't do it on its own really), the standard stuff.

If you go back a few pages we linked sites where its been leaked/speculated that well get the update in a few weeks. I'm sure you'll love the n5 like the rest of us! I full recommend Franco's kernel, my battery life is 20-24 hours of use with 3.5-4.5 hours of screen time(not undervolted or anything).

• Like 1

Best buy matches prices because when customers "save" money there instead of having to order online they're likely to buy cases and stuff in store. That's where they really make money.

Source: I was a lead at best buy/common sense.

I just checked online, and not a single Best Buy in the Chicagoland area carries that phone. It has to be shipped to store. Maybe they got burned on the price matching too many times and pulled it. Oh well, thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

I just checked online, and not a single Best Buy in the Chicagoland area carries that phone. It has to be shipped to store. Maybe they got burned on the price matching too many times and pulled it. Oh well, thanks for the tip.

That's incredibly odd. I would think they'd have have it in one of the mobile speciality stores(they have almost, if not every phone and accessory available). I'm assuming they have those there, I mean they do in stl so I don't see why they wouldn't 0.o.

That's incredibly odd. I would think they'd have have it in one of the mobile speciality stores(they have almost, if not every phone and accessory available). I'm assuming they have those there, I mean they do in stl so I don't see why they wouldn't 0.o.

I did call the store's "mobile department" number directly. One guy even asked, "that's an android phone, right?" So immediately I didn't trust his "we don't carry that phone" response and checked bestbuy.com. Sure as heck, every store I checked within 25 miles (and there are quite a few in Chicago) either said "not available" or "pickup in 5-7 days" meaning it can be shipped there. Odd.

I did call a the store's "mobile department" number directly. One guy even asked, "that's an android phone, right?" So immediately I didn't trust his "we don't carry that phone" response and checked bestbuy.com. Sure as heck, every store I checked within 25 miles (and there are quite a few in Chicago) either said "not available" or "pickup in 5-7 days" meaning it can be shipped there. Odd.

Interesting.  For stores up here I just checked and only one store shows it as available for pick up all the rest show not available.  I have to wonder if that stores inventory is off.  I do remember my closest store had the nexus 5 on its own display on the end cap with the nexus tablet late last year.  Maybe it also has to do with whethr or not the store sells Sprint plans or not since it seems like they have a separate SKU for the 'sprint' version.  The at8t and tmobile version lists as unlocked.

We currently carry it and have since shortly after its release in my store but each store keeps different stock on products. Our shipping is free and fast though.

This article doesn't leave me holding my breath...

Me either. Plus if it doesn't contain the Spark update well... I am personally going to start raising hell. Not sure about anyone else.

I have been patiently waiting...

• Like 1

...if it doesn't contain the Spark update well... I am personally going to start raising hell. Not sure about anyone else.

I'll be right there with you.  I knows others like to judge us as being very impatient, but we have sat relatively content for 6 months waiting for the update.  It's time they deliver. 

• Like 6

Me either. Plus if it doesn't contain the Spark update well... I am personally going to start raising hell. Not sure about anyone else.

I don't mind if you raise hell about it, just do it to sprint not s4gru. They have a complaint department, we don't.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 4

I don't mind if you raise hell about it, just do it to sprint not s4gru. They have a complaint department, we don't.

We should start a petition and spread it around XDA. We could label it for bug fixes and just include spark in the fine print:P

We should start a petition and spread it around XDA. We could label it for bug fixes and just include spark in the fine print:P

I will wait until there are spark towers around me. Bought the photon 4g before they deployed wimax. Not going to buy a N5 before they deploy the network.

I will wait until there are spark towers around me. Bought the photon 4g before they deployed wimax. Not going to buy a N5 before they deploy the network.

That's true for me at the moment too. However in the fall I'll be moving to KC MO so I'll be in a great spark market. I would hope itd be out by then considering the next installment of android will probably out by then lol.

• Like 1

So I just picked up this phone and I must say: it's awesome! Way better than my g2. This is my first pure android experience and it's so nice.

• Like 3

So I just picked up this phone and I must say: it's awesome! Way better than my g2. This is my first pure android experience and it's so nice.

So honestly how much better is the RF performance VS the G2 (on LTE)?  I've heard conflicting stories.  Obviously it is better, but can you give me an approximate real world example (5-10 dBm)?  I live on the edge of Sprints coverage and the G2's RF performance seems to get worse with every update. 

I have been on the fence about outright buying the N5 and keeping my G2 as a backup.  My wife seems to break phones quite quickly, so it wouldn't hurt to have an extra lying around, haha. 

So honestly how much better is the RF performance VS the G2 (on LTE)? I've heard conflicting stories. Obviously it is better, but can you give me an approximate real world example (5-10 dBm)? I live on the edge of Sprints coverage and the G2's RF performance seems to get worse with every update.

I have been on the fence about outright buying the N5 and keeping my G2 as a backup. My wife seems to break phones quite quickly, so it wouldn't hurt to have an extra lying around, haha.

Its about 8-10 better. I've had my n5 hold onto a -129dbm b25 signal(usable at 4mb down),