Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Booooo, you already used that one, get some new material, amateur...

No way.  That one fell right into my lap.  The thing was spotted in Vietnam of all places?!  It is almost as if I anticipated it.

AJ

• Like 2

Maybe it's my mentality of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it."

Plus I've managed to brick enough devices to know how frustrating it can be to have a temporarily expensive paper weight. Maybe one day I'll get that itch again to root, but for now, I'm very happy just how it is :)

-Luis

A Nexus device is much different than those other brickable non-Nexus, locked down devices. Believe me, this phone will be the easiest thing you've ever rooted.

I mean, the Android SDK COMES with the ability to unlock Nexus bootloaders. No crazy workarounds. No backdoors. It's literally using an exe in the Android SDK to say "unlock" to the device. Even if you do manage to mess up the device, Google themselves have the binary factory restore images, and guess what, you use the exact same exe to factory restore the devices that you would use to unlock it. It's pretty simple.

Even if you decide right now that you don't need to root it, it's highly recommended that you unlock the bootloader on your Nexus device because unlocking your bootloader will wipe your data. After unlocking the first time, you essentially never have to wipe your data ever again, especially if you stay on stock. However, if you do end up deciding to root your device in the future, you won't need to go through the bootloader unlocking process since you did it already, and you can easily just add root to your phone that already has hundreds of apps, and you wouldn't need to go through the painful process of saving and restoring any important data.

• Like 4

ART isn't so much overrated as much as it is a beta feature right now.

I personally don't run ART because it broke a few apps that I use, as well as messing with my homescreen. I've heard of other people being fine with it, and that's good for them. But the bottom line is that it's a beta feature. It's in developer options, as well as being not the default setting, and for a good reason. If it works for the user, then great.

I personally use the dalvik and bionic optimizations as well, but mainly for battery life. I found that the performance difference it makes is negligible in real world scenarios (though it makes my Snapdragon 800 look like a Snapdragon 800 in benchmarks like Quadrant), but I've seen a significant increase in battery life. I think I've posted this before, but with mobile data and syncing off, my phone will be at 87%, 88%, and ever greater than 90% sometimes at the end of my 9 hour work day. This is in a low Sprint signal area (which is why I turn off mobile data), so it's not like my phone is just sleeping there. It's actually struggling to keep a signal most of the time.

I use ART, I don't have too many fancy apps, hehe, so it didn't break anything.

I do get better battery life using ART than dalvik, so I've left it as ART.

• Like 3

Any other goodies I should know about other than gravity box?

I use these.. There's another ad blocking one but I just use adaway.

Xprivacy is another favorite of mine. Block all those nasty permissions from apps and even spoofs the GPS location to where you want instead of refusing the app the call.

Posted Image

• Like 1

I use these.. There's another ad blocking one but I just use adaway.

Xprivacy is another favorite of mine. Block all those nasty permissions from apps and even spoofs the GPS location to where you want instead of refusing the app the call.

Posted Image

That YouTube ad one looks nice

• Like 1

And here's why I like root and Gravity Box so much... it's a long video but it walks you through just about every feature.

I also use gravity box, mainly for these features: quicksettings modifications (tap to enable instead of hold to enable), custom wallpaper on lockscreen, and the clear all recents button. There's seriously no reason to run a custom ROM with Gravity Box, and it makes accepting OTAs much easier.

Gone are the old days of: wipe data, wipe cache, wipe dalvik, flash custom rom, set up phone, run titanium backup, set up apps.

Now I: disable Xposed, re-flash a clean system img of the current android version, flash OTA zip file, re-flash custom recovery, re-flash SuperSU, re-enable Xposed. No need to run titanium backup to restore anything. It may sound convoluted, but being able to skip the titanium backup restore is a godsend when compared to other phones or using custom ROMs.

• Like 1

Does anyone know a way to get noise cancellation working with a wired headset? It works great on-device, but whenever I use a wired headset I get complaints about ample noise.

That would be up to the headset.  The noise cancellation on the handset is enabled through a second microphone that allows comparison of speech and background noise.  And that is not possible on the handset when the speech is coming from a distant headset.

AJ

That would be up to the headset.  The noise cancellation on the handset is enabled through a second microphone that allows comparison of speech and background noise.  And that is not possible on the handset when the speech is coming from a distant headset.

AJ

Any recommendation on a better wired headset then?

So I know this phone is very popular with the technically inclined crowd. But how about those that are less technical? Would this be the best tri-band phone to recommend to family and friends?

Yes if they are not interested in the gimmicky features of the other Android phones.

• Like 1

So I know this phone is very popular with the technically inclined crowd. But how about those that are less technical? Would this be the best tri-band phone to recommend to family and friends?

Yes, I will probably get another N5 when the time comes for the wife. Simple and just works which means no support from me.

• Like 4

thanks all, i was initially recommending it because of the stellar RF reception it has, but wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be overly complicated for them to use too ;)

Eh, much as many will not admit it, every iPhone has a learning curve, too.  Most Android devices -- whether Nexus or not -- are little different.

AJ

• Like 2

Yes, I will probably get another N5 when the time comes for the wife. Simple and just works which means no support from me.

Ha ha, exactly my thinking. :D

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

thanks all, i was initially recommending it because of the stellar RF reception it has, but wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be overly complicated for them to use too ;)

I even got one for my 80 yr old dad.  The only thing he has trouble with is the idea that he has to use Google Voice for his voicemail.  Other than that, he loves it.

• Like 4

My account is finally recognizing my 32GB Nexus 5 (activated around early December). Always just showed a grey image of a cell phone

Just looked at my account and it is now recognizing mine too....