Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I suppose you're right. By speed I meant more fluidity. I have no clue if it's just the coding they change in kernels or if it's clock speeds but phones always seem to run quicker with one on it.

I'll give battery guru a shot.

That would probably work on a phone that isn't already as bone stock as it gets. Anymore stripped down and you'll basically have nothing. I know that it really does have to do with software optimizations. I had an HTC ONE, and that thing flew and ran laps around every other phone out there. It wasn't the highest clocked phone, but HTC managed to trim out the fat from Sense and make it quick and snappy. The Nexus 5 is the same except, unlike the ONE, it doesn't have a custom skin on top of it to make it a resource hog.

I see you have a G2, now I've played with a G2, and possibly, if you root it and install a custom rom, it might be faster. But I doubt you'll have any performance gain from the Nexus 5, when the fastest roms out there are modeled after the Nexus. You can't beat the original, any performance bump you'll gain will be negligible when a phone is already so fast.

But I'd say if you really wanna try it definitely go ahead, nothing is more fun than rooting and hacking a phone ;P I know I loved doing it to phones that were slow and then seeing a drastic improvement in performance!

Sorry about the rant, but I hope this might help your decision...?

-Luis

I see a lot of people like Franco kernel for the N5. Is anybody here running it? Is it worth root just for the kernel to get some more speed out of the phone?

I'm trying not to root this phone since it does really well on its own already but the temptation is just too much. Lol.

Like digi said, there's no reason to not root. I rooted for Franco kernel and ParanoidAndroid (unfortunately they still don't have a full-featured build). You might as well do it. And Franco kernel is awesome.

Also making the phone faster also drains the battery quicker, so you might wanna find a rom that actually puts the phone in a lower clock speed once it's idle, and only speed up when it's needed, that'll probably help out.

Not necessarily, flash the dalvik and bionic library optimizations and you will change your mind quickly.

• Like 2

Spotted in Vietnam?  Oh, we know what that is -- it is the Ng Lexus 5 knockoff.

;)

AJ

Do I need to be rooted for this? Sorry for Noob questions.

-Luis

P.S. Nvm, I googled it and got my answer.

Yep, anytime you modify system files you root.

I don't understand why people have issues with clicking a few buttons. My phones never last more than 5 minutes of being non-rooted. It's my phone.

• Like 1

Yep, anytime you modify system files you root.

I don't understand why people have issues with clicking a few buttons. My phones never last more than 5 minutes of being non-rooted. It's my phone.

Maybe it's my mentality of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it."

Plus I've managed to brick enough devices to know how frustrating it can be to have a temporarily expensive paper weight. Maybe one day I'll get that itch again to root, but for now, I'm very happy just how it is :)

-Luis

Maybe it's my mentality of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it."

Plus I've managed to brick enough devices to know how frustrating it can be to have a temporarily expensive paper weight. Maybe one day I'll get that itch again to root, but for now, I'm very happy just how it is :)

-Luis

That's why I do the custom recovery so there is no bricking.

It was broke, I could do what I needed, so I rooted and fixed it.

Go watch a video on the Gravity Box Xposed mod for KitKat, I bet you will be rooting soon ;)

are there any multi-window mods for the nexus 5 yet?

also, anyone figured out or created a mod to load custom prl's on the fly/device?

I am just a couple days into the management of my battery by Battery Guru after learning mode so I haven't really seen anything yet to tell me how I feel about it but I do have a question.

I have not had any issue with the app automatically managing my wifi. I have noticed that wifi is turned off at work where we do have wifi but I do not have access to it with my device and then when I get home wifi will be turned on. What I am noticing though is that the app is not turning wifi on for the purposes of location-based services when I am using an app.

I have always been under the impression that location based services is more accurate and does not necessarily require a complete GPS fix if it can see the wifi access points in the vicinity. So, I am wondering why Battery Guru is not turning on the wifi in those circumstances when I'm doing something that is making a location-based services call. Of course I could be all wet too and location-based services doesn't work this way. I'm just curious.

I am just a couple days into the management of my battery by Battery Guru after learning mode so I haven't really seen anything yet to tell me how I feel about it but I do have a question.

I have not had any issue with the app automatically managing my wifi. I have noticed that wifi is turned off at work where we do have wifi but I do not have access to it with my device and then when I get home wifi will be turned on. What I am noticing though is that the app is not turning wifi on for the purposes of location-based services when I am using an app.

I have always been under the impression that location based services is more accurate and does not necessarily require a complete GPS fix if it can see the wifi access points in the vicinity. So, I am wondering why Battery Guru is not turning on the wifi in those circumstances when I'm doing something that is making a location-based services call. Of course I could be all wet too and location-based services doesn't work this way. I'm just curious.

I think I got what you're asking. It could be since the Nexus 5 has an always scanning feature with WiFi battery guru doesn't necessarily have to turn on the WiFi. Unless you turned it off, but then again I don't think Battery Guru is that smart.

-Luis

also, anyone figured out or created a mod to load custom prl's on the fly/device?

Yep, manually load each PRL you want. Go into TWRP recovery and backup just EFS partition, name it the PRL number, then wash rinse repeat on each PRL you want. Then when you want that PRL, just restore the EFS partition. I would redo these after any OTA updates as OTA sometimes applies tweaks to the EFS for the modem.

Do not share the EFS between phones as it is unique per phone.

• Like 2

Not necessarily, flash the dalvik and bionic library optimizations and you will change your mind quickly.

I have had consistently worse battery life since disabling ART and doing this, even with using the Greenify donate module to keep background tasks at bay.

Does anyone else have trouble making calls? I'll dial the number or press the contact ant it will go to the phone app screen and say dialing. It will then immediately say call ended and sound the busy signal. Anyone?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

From servicetrender:

Sprint recently closed a known issue that was impacting one of your most used towers. See the Service Alert Details section for more information on the known issue. If you have questions about the known issue or need further support, please call Customer Care for assistance (message 333).

At 2014/01/21 11:58:11 New FAPS unable to come into service off of the Lenexa FSM Server affecting western half of country.

Are you still having the issue?

ART is overrated and doesn't work with Xposed.

Just flash in recovery.

I wouldn't say its overrated.  ;)

But you're right about Xposed being incompatible, which is a huge drawback and enough to keep lots of people away. On the plus side, ART does work without root.

ART is overrated...

art-is-overrated-art-quote.jpg

This, too...

il_570xN.240283284.jpg

:P

AJ

• Like 1

ART is overrated and doesn't work with Xposed.

Just flash in recovery.

ART isn't so much overrated as much as it is a beta feature right now.

I personally don't run ART because it broke a few apps that I use, as well as messing with my homescreen. I've heard of other people being fine with it, and that's good for them. But the bottom line is that it's a beta feature. It's in developer options, as well as being not the default setting, and for a good reason. If it works for the user, then great.

I personally use the dalvik and bionic optimizations as well, but mainly for battery life. I found that the performance difference it makes is negligible in real world scenarios (though it makes my Snapdragon 800 look like a Snapdragon 800 in benchmarks like Quadrant), but I've seen a significant increase in battery life. I think I've posted this before, but with mobile data and syncing off, my phone will be at 87%, 88%, and ever greater than 90% sometimes at the end of my 9 hour work day. This is in a low Sprint signal area (which is why I turn off mobile data), so it's not like my phone is just sleeping there. It's actually struggling to keep a signal most of the time.

• Like 1

I personally use the dalvik and bionic optimizations as well, but mainly for battery life. I found that the performance difference it makes is negligible in real world scenarios (though it makes my Snapdragon 800 look like a Snapdragon 800 in benchmarks like Quadrant), but I've seen a significant increase in battery life. I think I've posted this before, but with mobile data and syncing off, my phone will be at 87%, 88%, and ever greater than 90% sometimes at the end of my 9 hour work day. This is in a low Sprint signal area (which is why I turn off mobile data), so it's not like my phone is just sleeping there. It's actually struggling to keep a signal most of the time.

Same here, I had a big jump in battery life going to the dalvik and bionic library optimizations.  I really didn't notice much on the speed side.  My device is on AT&T right now so I can't compare it Sprint wise but I can easily go through a day of work with streaming a bit of music, and other general uses and have 60% battery left when I get home.

are there any multi-window mods for the nexus 5 yet?

For multiwindow, look up OmniROM. I've personally never used it, but I hear it's got multiwindow in the works.

• Like 1