Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

How do we know that Google didn't jump the gun and start releasing phones a day or two too soon when they were really not intended to be in customers hands until the 8th to coincide with sprints release of the device. From everything I'm reading today, the issues are resolved and it is not the 8th yet but we have no knowledge of whether the 8th was the agreement date between sprint and Google for support of these devices.

Honestly, it wouldn't have mattered - sprint had NO idea the black 32GB MEIDs were not valid.  The 32GB Black model could have been released in six months and it still wouldn't have worked.  They just had no idea.  Sprint formally launching the 16GB model wouldn't have changed anything on Friday either, as they still wouldn't have any idea the black 32GB MEID was missing.

There is a contract that covers the agreement between Google and Sprint (and T-Mobile).  There is no such agreement with AT&T, as it is not listed as supported by Google.  Do you really think that Google just launched the device whenever they felt like it?  No, of course not.

Regardless, this is over with - Sprint became aware of the issue and promptly fixed the issue.  Now, lets just all enjoy our nexus 5s!

Regardless, this is over with - Sprint became aware of the issue and promptly fixed the issue.  Now, lets just all enjoy our nexus 5s!

It's wonderful that the black 32GB MEIDs are now in the database.

Now if only I could get a SIM card.  Chat and phone calls routed me to local stores which should have plenty.  Two local corporate repair stores - one claims they don't use SIM cards (not since Nextel), and the other has no stock.

*sigh*

For those stores claiming no sim cards here is a tip.  Don't tip your hand to them.  Tell them you are looking for a sim card for the galaxy s4 or htc one.  DO NOT MENTION the Nexus 5.  When they say yeah we have those then get out the Nexus and assure them it will work.  

For some reason the Sprint stores are under the impression that there is special sim cards for the Nexus 5.  So I did the above workaround with no issue.

• Like 1

So give us some more information on the improved signal strength you mentioned. Were you saying it gets a stronger LTE signal than your HTC One? This would be some awesome news.

I think this might be true. When I activated my phone in the Sprint store all the employees were geeked out that I was picking up three bars of LTE and none of them were. The tech guy who was setting my phone up had the HTC one too.

• Like 1

OK!  Now for my first question as a nexus 5 owner on Sprint...

Anyone know how to switch from "GSM" to CDMA/EVDO?  I try using *#*#4636*#*# and it just doesn't stick when I have a t-mobile SIM installed.

Ideally, I would like to switch via software between T-Mobile and Sprint 3G/1xrtt without swapping sims

My 32GB black as well as my spanking new SIM will be arriving sometime this morning.  Thank goodness the MEID issue was resolved.

I don't understand how people are still having problems obtaining the SIMs.  We have already established that the international chat works like a charm.

• Like 2

My 32GB black as well as my spanking new SIM will be arriving sometime this morning.  Thank goodness the MEID issue was resolved.

I don't understand how people are still having problems obtaining the SIMs.  We have already established that the international chat works like a charm.

The problem there that I ran into is that they're backordered, and they have "no idea" when they'll ship.  Sure, put an order in, but you may be sitting on your N5 until after the return date waiting to get the SIM to use it properly.

• Like 1

OK!  Now for my first question as a nexus 5 owner on Sprint...

Anyone know how to switch from "GSM" to CDMA/EVDO?  I try using *#*#4636*#*# and it just doesn't stick when I have a t-mobile SIM installed.

Ideally, I would like to switch via software between T-Mobile and Sprint 3G/1xrtt without swapping sims

Since Sprint and T-Mobile do not have roaming agreements with each other, you will have to swap SIMs.  The SIM in use will dictate which domestic network the handset uses.

AJ

With "those embedded SIMs," there'd be no Nexus 5 on Sprint, or it'd be useless for anyone who wanted to use it on any other carrier. In fact, the hangup for the 32GB models seems to be Sprint's pigheaded MEID whitelist rules, not the SIM itself.

Well, I was being partly facetious, partly serious.  The "embedded SIMs" and their activation procedure stayed largely consistent with that of all other handsets on Sprint going back 15 years, making the process far more familiar and straightforward.  The activation process for the removable SIM in the Nexus 5 is anything but familiar and straightforward right now, hence my point.  But the wrinkles will get ironed out as time goes on.

AJ

The problem there that I ran into is that they're backordered, and they have "no idea" when they'll ship.  Sure, put an order in, but you may be sitting on your N5 until after the return date waiting to get the SIM to use it properly.

I will have an extra sim on hand because i ordered 2 so if you still cannot get one, PM me and i will get it out to you.

• Like 1

So, I know it didn't go well for Robert with his Zing SIM, but is there any kind of consensus on whether dropping one between the One/S4 to N5 or vice versa is a problem?

I will have an extra sim on hand because i ordered 2 so if you still cannot get one, PM me and i will get it out to you.

I appreciate it, and I'll let you know.  If someone else needs it and beats me to it, I guess that's not the worst thing.  I spoke to someone at a Sprint store who seemed like they knew their stuff, and claims they have them, and that there won't be any charge.  Going to see if I can pick it up later (will likely end up getting there for them to "not have it" or for it to be $50), but I'm going to be optimistic and say that it'll all go swimmingly.

So, I know it didn't go well for Robert with his Zing SIM, but is there any kind of consensus on whether dropping one between the One/S4 to N5 or vice versa is a problem?

I think as long as you activate the IMEI/MEID and SIM card via Sprint website i think you will be alright.

• Like 1

I'm eagerly awaiting my SIM card's arrival today.  I'm wondering if anyone has found out if we can manually activate all 3 of the LTE bands and get tr-band working now.  I live in the Chicago area, and it's my understanding that tri-band has been turned on here, so i'd like to try it when my SIM arrives this afternoon.  If there's a way to turn it on, how do i know which band i'm using? 

Edited by impulse630

I don't think there's more than a tower or two that have TD-LTE turned on in the Twin Cities area, but man, if I could tap into it in a heavy usage area, it'd be great.  For example, at a Vikings game in the Metrodome, LTE is unusable for me.  I have to shut it off and go 3G only.  It's ok for the people in front of me with AT&T, but not for me.

It's kind of like when I had my Evo 3D.  I'd use Wimax, and it would fly, because no one would use it, everyone was on 3G.

What color did you get? I ask because apparently there are some very slight differences between the black and white, and im wondering if there's a difference in reception between the two.

Yes.  The "white" has been well received, the "black," less so.

:P

AJ

• Like 6

Honestly, it wouldn't have mattered - sprint had NO idea the black 32GB MEIDs were not valid.  The 32GB Black model could have been released in six months and it still wouldn't have worked.  They just had no idea.  Sprint formally launching the 16GB model wouldn't have changed anything on Friday either, as they still wouldn't have any idea the black 32GB MEID was missing.

There is a contract that covers the agreement between Google and Sprint (and T-Mobile).  There is no such agreement with AT&T, as it is not listed as supported by Google.  Do you really think that Google just launched the device whenever they felt like it?  No, of course not.

Well said....Agreed!

• Like 1

I don't think there's more than a tower or two that have TD-LTE turned on in the Twin Cities area, but man, if I could tap into it in a heavy usage area, it'd be great.  For example, at a Vikings game in the Metrodome, LTE is unusable for me.  I have to shut it off and go 3G only.  It's ok for the people in front of me with AT&T, but not for me.

I'm not going to say too much as this is information at the premier sponsor level, but I have a feeling there are quite a bit more than 2 band 41 sites right now in Minneapolis.

• Like 3

I'll tell you guys what AJ has an attitude about: Hot Pockets. This thread is at least the third time he's linked that guy making fun of them.

How dare you refer to Jim Gaffigan as "that guy."  He and Brian Regan are comedy gods around here.  You will laugh.  It is so commanded.

AJ

• Like 5

How dare you refer to Jim Gaffigan as "that guy."  He and Brian Regan are comedy gods around here.  You will laugh.  It is so commanded.

AJ

Those two are hilarious

• Like 2

How dare you refer to Jim Gaffigan as "that guy." He and Brian Regan are comedy gods around here. You will laugh. It is so commanded.

AJ

Wow, what a coincidence! They also happen to be my two favorite comedians!!. :)

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

When you activate the Nexus 5 with Sprint, they need to link your MEID with your ICCID on your SIM card. If you pop in a SIM card with an ICCID that is tied to another Sprint device, you will get a warning that your SIM card is locked after awhile.

So just make sure any existing Sprint SIM tied to another device gets delinked and activated for the new device.

Eventually, I hope Sprint gets past having to link a specific ICCID to a specific device. Because being able to swap your SIMs between devices is the only advantage of the SIM system. Sprint shouldn't want it so that the only SIMs you can swap on a Sprint device is another carrier! Now that would be counter intuitive.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1