Breaking Band: Tri-band LTE / eCSFB issues thread

Good to know.  I just would have thought that if you already were sending a crew there, why not do all the work instead of having to come back later.  I *assume* they didn't, as there's obviously still legacy 3G equipment working from those sites.

More money!  Roll back for 2 or 3 trips on the different pay items.

Anyone in Kansas, Oklahoma, or Missouri markets still having issues with LTE from 3G/4G sites?

Yes, one tower that I had issues with seems to be working, but the one closest to my work still won't allow LTE to connect without forcing it. I'm in the Oklahoma City area

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I guess what I'm wondering, and perhaps there is actually a good answer for this, why the 3G upgrades weren't done at the same time as the 4G ones. Being in a Samsung market, I get that they can't retrofit the old stuff, but obviously they're replacing it. For example, since you can go see them, if you zoom into the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area, you'll notice a very distinct difference between where it's just 4G, and where there is a TON of 3G/4G/800 even done. That's where my consternation comes from.

I agree, there's nothing that can be done, or nothing that I can do, other than hope that maybe they get something done before Winter, otherwise I'm looking at 5+ months of being stuck back on a 3G device. I assume that you wouldn't be entirely pleased if this happened to you as well, on something that appears as though it was entirely preventable.

LTE can be just turned on. 3G needs to be done in clusters because of interference from non NV sites. Especially in Samsung markets.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

LTE can be just turned on. 3G needs to be done in clusters because of interference from non NV sites. Especially in Samsung markets.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

That would make sense but what about Erricson,  I look at Birmingham on the sponsor map everytime you post an update and they don't seem to be in clusters, whenever they upgrade a tower to 4G a few weeks later is 4G/3G, grouping seems to have no bearing.  I haven't paid attention to other markets but Memphis seems to be the same way.

That would make sense but what about Erricson,  I look at Birmingham on the sponsor map everytime you post an update and they don't seem to be in clusters, whenever they upgrade a tower to 4G a few weeks later is 4G/3G, grouping seems to have no bearing.  I haven't paid attention to other markets but Memphis seems to be the same way.

Sites can be accepted in any order. But when they are brought online they have to be done in clusters.  Just because it's accepted doesn't mean it's transmitting on the NV hardware.

Erricson markets are madness  :frantic:

-Will

• Like 6

That would make sense but what about Erricson, I look at Birmingham on the sponsor map everytime you post an update and they don't seem to be in clusters, whenever they upgrade a tower to 4G a few weeks later is 4G/3G, grouping seems to have no bearing. I haven't paid attention to other markets but Memphis seems to be the same way.

Ericsson areas almost all have incumbent (same legacy vendor) networks. The NV and legacy 3G don't interfere as severely as with other vendors. Ericsson had 3G equipment supply problems for the first 9-10 months of NV. They didn't do any 3G in the beginning of Network Vision. Now they are going back and picking up LTE only sites and doing more 3G sites around the same time as LTE on new sites.

Robert

• Like 2

I can't wait to see them do that here.  Once the site is 1X and EVDO converted (some are 1x first maybe EVDO a few months later), the 3G from the site is great, sometimes faster than LTE!  I'm hoping for the winter to really pick up in the north to force some workers to migrate south.  I found out here they had a big push for 3G integrations in the summer so they could queue up some work for legacy rig down crews.

Here's how it's been here (2013-10 is missing since we had none that month):

CHART_NOLA_3G_NOV2013.pngCHART_NOLA_4G_NOV2013.png

• Like 2

Guest billei02

LTE from Pleasant Hill, East to Cedar Rapids, no problems in those areas with just small pockets of no LTE. Des Moines home base I have to redo PRL to get 3g back stuck in 1xRRT otherwise.

• Like 1

Scranton pa does have LTE its not announced but testing sites are up. My friend has a s4 and she gets LTE on sprint and I have a nexus 5 and I don't. I'm just wondering when they where going to upgrade the towers. But I guess nobody knows.

Scranton pa does have LTE its not announced but testing sites are up. My friend has a s4 and she gets LTE on sprint and I have a nexus 5 and I don't. I'm just wondering when they where going to upgrade the towers. But I guess nobody knows.

Sooner than never...

LTE from Pleasant Hill, East to Cedar Rapids, no problems in those areas with just small pockets of no LTE. Des Moines home base I have to redo PRL to get 3g back stuck in 1xRRT otherwise.

Was that with a phone that has the eCSFB problem or an older LTE phone? I'm mobile so I can't see the maps right now to see what color those towers are shown as.

If your friend gets LTE and you don't in the same area, check your phone settings, make sure you have have LTE enabled. Also, try cycling airplane mode when you're in an area that you know your friend gets LTE coverage.

Was that with a phone that has the eCSFB problem or an older LTE phone? I'm mobile so I can't see the maps right now to see what color those towers are shown as.

Just looked at the maps, spotty LTE along 80 between Cedar Rapids and Pleasant Hill is about right. Areas along 80 should not give a eCSFB problem.

they were definitely still updating towers in my area just up to a few days ago its now back to normal scan times and picking up signal in my market.... so patients is key as they are aware in areas that can be fixed with software... if that helps

Anyone interested in learning more about 1x and CSFB should read the pdf brochure by Qualcomm below that explains the benefits of single radio 4G with CSFB to 1x such as battery life and design device savings.  After reading this I realized that eventually Sprint had to move to single radio 4G with CSFB to 1x/3G if it wants to move to VoLTE.  I am glad Sprint is making the necessary steps now to be ahead of the game than Verizon.

Verizon will eventually have to move to LTE devices with single radio 4G with CSFB to 1x if it wants to use  VoLTE as shown in page 3, Figure 2.  It clearly shows the road map for dual radio LTE phones (ex: HTC One, GS4, Note 3, etc) and single radio LTE phones (ex: LG G2, Nexus 5, HTC One Max, etc) that single radio LTE phones are on the only path to go for VoLTE.

I also learned about CSFB and eCSFB.  The 3GPP first released CSFB in LTE Release 8 which employed the "redirection" method.  However due to concerns by mobile operators about call delay in the "redirection" method, the 3GPP released eCSFB in LTE Release 9 and beyond which employs the "handover" method which is going to be the preferred way to handle the 1x to LTE transitions for all mobile operators.  It states that according to the latest standard, the "handover" method can used for FDD-LTE but the "redirection" method can only be used for TDD-LTE.

It is a very interesting read and I encourage everyone to read this to better educate themselves on the situation.  Maybe this will help people understand why Sprint had to move away from adding SVLTE onto their triband LTE devices and not place blame on Sprint for this reason.

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/files/qualcomm-technologies-circuit-switched-fallback-to-1x-voice-network-architecture-options-and-performance.pdf

• Like 16

Handset: LG G2

LTE connectivity: Seems weak. Can pick up signal in locations where my HTC One always held LTE, but constantly drops LTE or does not pick up at all even with data toggle.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Anyone interested in learning more about 1x and CSFB should read the pdf brochure by Qualcomm below that explains the benefits

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/files/qualcomm-technologies-circuit-switched-fallback-to-1x-voice-network-architecture-options-and-performance.pdf

Great read. I was wondering what the difference in CFSB and eCFSB was.

Just wanted to let everybody know that LTE is on in Harrisburg PA.  Apparently, the eCSFB update went through late this afternoon early evening.  But now the closest tower to me (UPS Drive) is down.  The two southern facing arrays are out.  Hopefully this will be fixed soon.  (I'm to the south of the tower).  Speeds are ok about 9 down and 4 up.  Hopefully that will improve soon. 

Signal fluctuates in my house.  I get anywhere from -98 dBm to -107 dBm.

I forced the phone into 3G by going into the basement.  When I hit about -118 dBm, the G2 switched from LTE to 3G (I don't know if I'm impressed with that or not yet).  The G2 didn't want to switch back to 4G by itself though.  When the signal was about -101 dBm, it stayed in 3G until, I manually switched network mode to force it back.

The G2 has been working when phone calls come in.  "falls back" to 3G then, back to LTE at the call end.  I never thought the "chime" sound from "Signal Check Pro" would sound so good!  :)

• Like 3

Just wanted to let everybody know that LTE is on in Harrisburg PA.  Apparently, the eCSFB update went through late this afternoon early evening.  But now the closest tower to me (UPS Drive) is down.  The two southern facing arrays are out.  Hopefully this will be fixed soon.  (I'm to the south of the tower).  Speeds are ok about 9 down and 4 up.  Hopefully that will improve soon.  Signal fluctuates in my house.  I get anywhere from -98 dBm to -107 dBm. I forced the phone into 3G by going into the basement.  When I hit about -118 dBm, the G2 switched from LTE to 3G (I don't know if I'm impressed with that or not yet).  The G2 didn't want to switch back to 4G by itself though.  When the signal was about -101 dBm, it stayed in 3G until, I manually switched network mode to force it back. The G2 has been working when phone calls come in.  "falls back" to 3G then, back to LTE at the call end.  I never thought the "chime" sound from "Signal Check Pro" would sound so good!  :)

I actually noticed that drop off myself when it hits 118 dbm it will go back down to the 3G and not hold LTE.... mmmmmm

I actually noticed that drop off myself when it hits 118 dbm it will go back down to the 3G and not hold LTE.... mmmmmm

Do you have the LG G2?  Sorry, I just saw you had the N5.  I could have sworn that I read on one of these threads; The_Dave was holding on to LTE the whole way down to -126 dBm...