Breaking Band: Tri-band LTE / eCSFB issues thread

In the Samsung markets with the purple 4G pins I connect to 3G eHRPD.  Does that mean all the NV equipment is in place but they need to do additional testing or software upgrades? 

Is there ever a case where you can get LTE but not have eHRPD 3G?

These are both answered right above @ http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5001-breaking-band-tri-band-lte-ecsfb-issues-thread/page-12&do=findComment&comment=237461

First, I had already 'tried it' long before your advisement, within the first hour I had the phone even.

Second, your advise while no doubt trying to be 'helpful', said nothing about accessing the menu, only about not 'getting cavalier' and 'clever', neither of which I was doing. Nor was I even able to access this 'forcing of 800' in the first place.

Third, I was simply relaying what I had already experienced, was different than your vague inference that forcing of 800 was an available option, in this particular context.

First, that was unwise of you to try it within "the first hour [you] had the phone even."

Second, my original advisement was not directed at you.  It was a general warning.  The band selection option is still available in many Android versions.  See below a screenshot (that I took today):

9uafxw.png

Third, your post takes an unnecessary tone with me.  Do you really want to go toe to toe again?

AJ

First, that was unwise of you to try it within "the first hour [you] had the phone even."

Second, my original advisement was not directed at you.  It was a general warning.  The band selection option is still available in many Android versions.  See below a screenshot (that I took today):

Third, your post takes an unnecessary tone with me.  Do you really want to go toe to toe again?

AJ

AJ, I am not trying to be mean but most of your posts come off as condescending. 

• Like 9

AJ, I am not trying to be mean but most of your posts come off as condescending. 

No problem.  That is not mean -- it is just a fair assessment.  I would dispute the "most" characterization.  But I do respect observations that others wrongly deem personal attacks.

I do not profess to be the most personable guy.  However, I bring to the table a lot of knowledge that others lack.  If I exhibit some condescension in the process, I apologize.  But that comes with the territory, is just a part of my intellectual personality.  So be it...

AJ

No problem. That is not mean -- it is just a fair assessment. I would dispute the "most" characterization. But I do respect observations that others wrongly deem personal attacks.

I do not profess to be the most personable guy. However, I bring to the table a lot of knowledge that others lack. If I exhibit some condescension in the process, I apologize. But that comes with the territory, is just a part of my intellectual personality. So be it...

AJ

Lil Wayne's mind..

Posted Image

• Like 2

Lil Wayne's mind..

b78cc71f_z3450_mind-blown.jpeg

Yeah, but how much would it really take to blow Lil Wayne's mind?  Maybe that the headphone jack is going to be on the bottom?  POW!

:P

AJ

• Like 3

I think you just cant take anything personally...lol....

Anyways, i think they've gotten towers upgraded here by the house.... I usually have 4G when I'm at work... But once I get close to home, I fall back to 3G. however, when I picked up my phone just a little bit ago I had 4G. See screenshot below.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1384301555550.jpg

That's ooops on my part.  Being fixed now.  I know better, thanks for the reminder!

Robert

Okay, I see the edit on at least one of the post... I do recall that A/L generally has more Red and Yellow and less Blue than the other markets -- and even the few exceptions are filling in FAST (see 100plus updates in CLT today)....

As for my other question, is all this "Cool Story Freakin' Bro" (all I can think of when I see the acronym) stuff affecting the dual-band iPhone as well as the tri-bands?  Question is for anyone, not just you... Thanks again!!!

EDIT:  I found this answer below the wall post today from Robert..... 

The iPhones are neither Triband nor SVLTE. They are capable of using CFSB,and use that feature on WCDMA networks. However, they do not use CSFB on the Sprint network as far as I know. But please understand that CSFB is not a device feature, but rather a network feature. It's just that a device transmission path design would necessitate its use.

The iPhone 5S and 5C are only dual band LTE on the Sprint network. But that probably explains why Apple chose to omot the third band and go the route of their devices using CSFB on the Sprint network.

The new iPhones are the same as the older single band iPhone 5 on the Sprint network, just with one more additional LTE band. They do not support SVLTE. I do not have enough understanding of Apple devices to explain why. 

Okay, I see the edit on at least one of the post... I do recall that A/L generally has more Red and Yellow and less Blue than the other markets -- and even the few exceptions are filling in FAST (see 100plus updates in CLT today)....

As for my other question, is all this "Cool Story Freakin' Bro" (all I can think of when I see the acronym) stuff affecting the dual-band iPhone as well as the tri-bands?  Question is for anyone, not just you... Thanks again!!!

Just like when I see eHRPD I think of HerpDerp.....lol

I appreciate all the information here and understand most of the reason why I did not get LTE on a recent trip through PA with my Nexus 5, and I am willing to be patient for the fixes since it seems like they are being worked.  I do have one question that maybe someone can answer.  While going through PA (Gettysburg, Harrisburg, Hershey), which I presume is a Shentel market mostly upgraded, I didn't get LTE, but also I could not connect to 3G.  My phone only received 1X data the entire time.  Is this what others are seeing around there and is it the same problem as no LTE there?

This list was posted on the sprint community site....Thank you for your post.  I have confirmation that issues are being experienced in parts of Yonkers and as you head South into the Bronx that no eCSFB issues are being called in.  I was also able to confirm that areas where LTE is confirmed to be covered is equipped with Circuit switched Fallback technology.  Some of these markets are:

• Albemarle, N.C.
  •  
  • Abilene, Texas
  •  
  • Adrian, Mich.
  •  
  • Albany/Corvallis, Ore.
  •  
  • Alexandria, La.
  •  
  • Allegan, Mich.
  •  
  • Altoona, Pa.
  •  
  • Amarillo, Texas
  •  
  • Anderson, Ind.
  •  
  • Anniston-Oxford, Ala.
  •  
  • Ardmore, Okla.
  •  
  • Asheville, N.C.
  •  
  • Athens, Ga.
  •  
  • Athens, Texas
  •  
  • Atlanta
  •  
  • Auburn/Opelika, Ala.
  •  
  • Austin, Texas
  •  
  • Baltimore
  •  
  • Baraboo, Wis.
  •  
  • Barnstable/Hyannis/Mid-Cape, Mass.
  •  
  • Baton Rouge,  La.
  •  
  • Bay City, Mich.
  •  
  • Beaumont-Port Arthur, Texas
  •  
  • ****** Dam, Wis.
  •  
  • Bloomington, Ind.
  •  
  • Boston
  •  
  • Bronx/Brooklyn, N.Y.
  •  
  • Brownsville/Harlingen, Texas
  •  
  • Bryan/College Station, Texas
  •  
  • Calhoun, Ga.
  •  
  • Cape Coral/Fort Myers, Fla.
  •  
  • Carrollton, Ga.
  •  
  • Centralia, Wash.
  •  
  • Charlotte, N.C.
  •  
  • Chicago/Naperville/Joliet, Ill.
  •  
  • Clarke County, Va./Jefferson County, W.Va.
  •  
  • Clarksville, Tenn.
  •  
  • Clovis, N.M.
  •  
  • Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  •  
  • Columbia, Tenn.
  •  
  • Columbia/ Ellicott City, Md.
  •  
  • Columbus, Ind.
  •  
  • Columbus, Miss.
  •  
  • Contra Costa County, Calif.
  •  
  • Corpus Christi, Texas
  •  
  • Corsicana, Texas
  •  
  • Dallas
  •  
  • Dalton, Ga.
  •  
  • Daytona Beach, Fla.
  •  
  • Del Rio, Texas
  •  
  • Denison, Texas
  •  
  • Dunn, N.C.
  •  
  • Durham, N.C.
  •  
  • Dyersburg, Tenn.
  •  
  • Eagle Pass, Texas
  •  
  • Elizabethtown, Ky.
  •  
  • Elkhart/Goshen, Ind.
  •  
  • Emporia, Kan.
  •  
  • Enid, Okla.
  •  
  • Faribault/Northfield, Minn.
  •  
  • Farmington, Mo.
  •  
  • Fayetteville, N.C.
  •  
  • Fitchburg/Leominster, Mass.
  •  
  • Flint, Mich.
  •  
  • Fond du Lac, Wis.
  •  
  • Fort Atkinson, Wis.
  •  
  • Fort Lauderdale/Pompano Beach/Deerfield Beach, Fla.
  •  
  • Fort Polk South, La.
  •  
  • Fort Smith, Ark.
  •  
  • Fort Wayne, Ind.
  •  
  • Fort Worth, Texas
  •  
  • Framingham, Mass.
  •  
  • Frankfort, Ky.
  •  
  • Franklin County, Pa.
  •  
  • Gainesville, Fla.
  •  
  • Gainesville, Ga.
  •  
  • Gary, Ind.
  •  
  • Gettysburg, Pa.
  •  
  • Granbury/Hood County, Texas
  •  
  • Grand Rapids, Mich.
  •  
  • Greeneville, Tenn.
  •  
  • Greenville, Miss.
  •  
  • Greenville, N.C.
  •  
  • Greenville/Mauldin/Easley, S.C.
  •  
  • Greenwood, Miss.
  •  
  • Greenwood, S.C.
  •  
  • Hagerstown, Md./Martinsburg, W.Va.
  •  
  • Hammond, La.
  •  
  • Harrisburg/Carlisle/Hershey, Pa.
  •  
  • Harrisonburg, Va.
  •  
  • Henderson, N.C.
  •  
  • Holland, Mich.
  •  
  • Homosassa Springs, Fla.
  •  
  • Houma-Bayou Cane-Thibodaux, La.
  •  
  • Houston
  •  
  • Huntsville, Texas
  •  
  • Hutchinson, Kan.
  •  
  • Indianapolis/Carmel, Ind.
  •  
  • Jackson, Tenn.
  •  
  • Jacksonville, Fla.
  •  
  • Jacksonville, Texas
  •  
  • Janesville, Wis.
  •  
  • Jefferson City, Mo.
  •  
  • Joplin, Mo.
  •  
  • Kankakee/Bradley/Bourbonnais, Ill.
  •  
  • Kansas City, Kan./Mo.
  •  
  • Kerrville, Texas
  •  
  • Kingsport, Tenn.
  •  
  • Kinston, N.C.
  •  
  • Kirksville, Mo.
  •  
  • Kokomo, Ind.
  •  
  • La Crosse, Wis.
  •  
  • Lafayette, Ind.
  •  
  • Lafayette, La.
  •  
  • Lake Charles, La.
  •  
  • Lakeland/Winter Haven, Fla.
  •  
  • Lansing-East Lansing, Mich.
  •  
  • Laredo, Texas
  •  
  • Laurel, Miss.
  •  
  • Lawrence, Kan.
  •  
  • Lawton, Okla.
  •  
  • Lebanon, Pa.
  •  
  • Lexington, Ky.
  •  
  • Lincolnton, N.C.
  •  
  • Longview, Texas
  •  
  • Longview, Wash.
  •  
  • Los Angeles
  •  
  • Lufkin, Texas
  •  
  • Lumberton, N.C.
  •  
  • Macon, Ga.
  •  
  • Manhattan/Junction City, Kan.
  •  
  • Mankato-North Mankato, Minn.
  •  
  • Marshfield-Wisconsin Rapids, Wis.
  •  
  • Martha's Vineyard, Mass.
  •  
  • McPherson, Kan.
  •  
  • Memphis, Tenn.
  •  
  • Miami
  •  
  • Midland, Texas
  •  
  • Milledgeville, Ga.
  •  
  • Monroe, Mich.
  •  
  • Montgomery, Ala.
  •  
  • Morgan City, La.
  •  
  • Muncie, Ind.
  •  
  • Muskogee, Okla.
  •  
  • Nacogdoches, Texas
  •  
  • Napa, Calif.
  •  
  • Naples, Fla.
  •  
  • Nashville, Tenn.
  •  
  • New Bedford/Fall River, Mass.
  •  
  • New Haven, Conn.
  •  
  • New Orleans
  •  
  • Newnan, Ga.
  •  
  • Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport News, Va.
  •  
  • Oakland, Calif.
  •  
  • Ocala, Fla.
  •  
  • Odessa, Texas
  •  
  • Oklahoma City
  •  
  • Palatka, Fla.
  •  
  • Palm Bay, Fla.
  •  
  • Palm Coast, Fla.
  •  
  • Paris, Texas
  •  
  • Peabody, Mass.
  •  
  • Pensacola, Fla.
  •  
  • Philadelphia
  •  
  • Picayune, Miss.
  •  
  • Ponca City, Okla.
  •  
  • Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda, Fla.
  •  
  • Port St. Lucie, Fla.
  •  
  • Portland, Ore.
  •  
  • Raleigh, N.C.
  •  
  • Red Bluff, Calif.
  •  
  • Rochelle, Ill.
  •  
  • Rockford, Ill.
  •  
  • Rocky Mount, N.C.
  •  
  • Rolla, Mo.
  •  
  • Rome, Ga.
  •  
  • Ruston, La.
  •  
  • Saginaw, Mich.
  •  
  • Salem, Ore.
  •  
  • Salina, Kan.
  •  
  • Salinas, Calif.
  •  
  • Salisbury, N.C.
  •  
  • San Angelo, Texas
  •  
  • San Antonio
  •  
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico
  •  
  • Santa Ana/Anaheim, Calif
  •  
  • Santa Rosa/Petaluma, Calif.
  •  
  • Sebring, Fla.
  •  
  • Sedalia, Mo.
  •  
  • Sheboygan, Wis.
  •  
  • Shelby, N.C.
  •  
  • Shenandoah/Page Counties, Va.
  •  
  • Shentel Bedford, Pa.
  •  
  • Shentel Juniata-Mifflin-Huntingdon Counties, Pa.
  •  
  • South Bend/Mishawaka, Ind.
  •  
  • Southern Puerto Rico: Yauco/Ponce/Coamo/Salinas/Santa Isabel/Guayama
  •  
  • Spokane, Wash.
  •  
  • Springfield, Mass.
  •  
  • St. Cloud, Minn.
  •  
  • St. Joseph, Mo.
  •  
  • St. Joseph-Benton Harbor, Mich.
  •  
  • Statesville, N.C.
  •  
  • Stevens Point, Wis.
  •  
  • Stillwater, Okla.
  •  
  • Tallahassee, Fla.
  •  
  • Tampa, Fla.
  •  
  • Temple, Texas
  •  
  • Texarkana, Texas - Texarkana, Ark.
  •  
  • Topeka, Kan.
  •  
  • Tullahoma, Tenn.
  •  
  • Tulsa, Okla.
  •  
  • Tupelo, Miss.
  •  
  • Tyler, Texas
  •  
  • Valdosta, Ga.
  •  
  • Vallejo/Fairfield, Calif.
  •  
  • Victoria, Texas
  •  
  • Waco, Texas
  •  
  • Warner Robins, Ga.
  •  
  • Warsaw, Ind.
  •  
  • Waukegan/Lake County, Ill.
  •  
  • Wausau, Wis.
  •  
  • Waycross, Ga.
  •  
  • West Palm Beach, Fla.
  •  
  • Western Puerto Rico: Aguadilla/Isabela/San Germán/Cabo Rojo/Mayagüez
  •  
  • Whitewater, Wis.
  •  
  • Wichita Falls, Texas
  •  
  • Wichita, Kan.
  •  
  • Wilson, N.C.
  •  
  • Winchester, Va.
  •  
  • York/Hanover, Pa.
  • Like 4

This list was posted on the sprint community site....Thank you for your post.  I have confirmation that issues are being experienced in parts of Yonkers and as you head South into the Bronx that no eCSFB issues are being called in.  I was also able to confirm that areas where LTE is confirmed to be covered is equipped with Circuit switched Fallback technology.  Some of these markets are:

This is a crazy list.  I am curious what the list of markets that have been announced are affected by the eCSFB issue that Sprint needs to put the pedal to the metal on.

I appreciate all the information here and understand most of the reason why I did not get LTE on a recent trip through PA with my Nexus 5, and I am willing to be patient for the fixes since it seems like they are being worked.  I do have one question that maybe someone can answer.  While going through PA (Gettysburg, Harrisburg, Hershey), which I presume is a Shentel market mostly upgraded, I didn't get LTE, but also I could not connect to 3G.  My phone only received 1X data the entire time.  Is this what others are seeing around there and is it the same problem as no LTE there?

I'm in Harrisburg PA.  I do get 3G in the Shentel area on my LG G2.  The towers near me have the 3G and LTE updates but no 800 MHz yet.  The equipment is the same vendor for legacy and NV.  but as Robert said:  Triband LTE device is not able to connect to CSFB/eCSFB on the Sprint network, your device will park in 3G mode.  Mine does indeed do just that.  I've recently been in Hershey as well and did receive 3G there too.  Hope this helps.  I don't understand the system like the experts on here, so I can't say why you only received 1X. 

I was eating dinner and was in an area I should have had LTE but was stuck in 3g. I tried airplane mode a few times and was kept stuck with LTE "connecting" and no data at all.

I was going to do a prl/profile update, but instead I switched "mobile network mode" from LTE to global and then immediately connected to LTE.

Something to check if you are having LTE connection problems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

This list was posted on the sprint community site....Thank you for your post.  I have confirmation that issues are being experienced in parts of Yonkers and as you head South into the Bronx that no eCSFB[/size] issues are being called in.  I was also able to confirm that areas where LTE is confirmed to be covered is equipped with Circuit switched Fallback technology.  Some of these markets are:

<clipped>

That list is wrong. There are some markets on there that we know for a fact are not ready yet.

• Like 2

I'm trying to sift through all the pages of this thread to find an answer, but haven't been successful just yet. I have a Nexus 5. LTE is not yet officially live in my area (Fargo, ND) but some towers are up and running. I have the same handoff issues and no LTE unless forced as most others. The sponsor map shows they already completed 3G upgrades in this area (red pins) but most towers also broadcast 800SMR. I believe we have legacy Ericsson and NV Samsung here.

Is this information sufficient enough to determine the fate of my N5 LTE experience at this point, or do I need to wait it out longer to see? Can I write this off as potential LTE launch and issues or is it likely something more long term? Too soon to tell?

I'd like to know if I should sell my GS4 o hold on to it so I can taste the delicious forthcoming LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Since the Fargo area is 3G complete, there shouldn't be any legacy issues. You will have LTE issues since they are in the middle of testing and adding LTE to those sites. I don't think this is related to the CSFB issues, though you could verify that by going back and checking it out with a single band LTE device.  Update: There MIGHT be issues with software at the MSC I guess, but again, most likely once you lose LTE your phone might take a while to pick it up again.

• Like 1

This seems to be so many different issues at hand I really do hope sprint engineers and people who are in charge of networking have a better understanding of what's going on!

I'm in Harrisburg PA.  I do get 3G in the Shentel area on my LG G2.  The towers near me have the 3G and LTE updates but no 800 MHz yet.  The equipment is the same vendor for legacy and NV.  but as Robert said:  Triband LTE device is not able to connect to CSFB/eCSFB on the Sprint network, your device will park in 3G mode.  Mine does indeed do just that.  I've recently been in Hershey as well and did receive 3G there too.  Hope this helps.  I don't understand the system like the experts on here, so I can't say why you only received 1X. 

Thanks.  I am going to assume it will get fixed with the other changes.  My home is in the DC area and fortunately LTE works very good here on the Nexus 5, but I do travel often and it would be nice if this issue is fixed soon.

Samsung cannot install CSFB on their inherited systems.  The only thing they can do is trudge forward as fast as possible with Network Vision 3G upgrades and get them communicating with the eCSFB network.  You may have noticed that Samsung has a huge amount of 3G acceptances lately, and tons of In Progress sites.  They are moving faster right now on 3G conversions than I have seen any OEM ever move on a network upgrade.  It's quite impressive.

Robert

Honestly, I didn't notice.  They don't seem to be moving at all in my little area I check out (Minneapolis/Saint Paul area), so I assumed they were that way everywhere.  Awesome to hear, and thanks for the heads up.  At least if they're not moving where I'm looking, it's happening elsewhere.

Samsung cannot install CSFB on their inherited systems.  The only thing they can do is trudge forward as fast as possible with Network Vision 3G upgrades and get them communicating with the eCSFB network.  You may have noticed that Samsung has a huge amount of 3G acceptances lately, and tons of In Progress sites.  They are moving faster right now on 3G conversions than I have seen any OEM ever move on a network upgrade.  It's quite impressive.

Robert

Initial word was that Samsung was putting their effort into tower work before winter hit therefore the minimal 4G acceptances. In light of this newly revealed situation, it almost sounds like Samsung changed gears back in June/July (when the 4G acceptances slowed to a trickle in this area) and started killing two birds with one stone - get the tower work done before it snows and fix the CSFB issue at the same time. When the snow arrives, almost all of the towers are upgraded, CSFB is fixed and pour on the 4G ground work and acceptances. Very ambitious!

• Like 2