Breaking Band: Tri-band LTE / eCSFB issues thread

Since the Fargo area is 3G complete, there shouldn't be any legacy issues. You will have LTE issues since they are in the middle of testing and adding LTE to those sites. I don't think this is related to the CSFB issues, though you could verify that by going back and checking it out with a single band LTE device. Update: There MIGHT be issues with software at the MSC I guess, but again, most likely once you lose LTE your phone might take a while to pick it up again.

I think you're right. Just had LTE pop up for at least 30 seconds while I was just sitting here at home. When that happened, the 1xRTT signal was dropped. Then no LTE & back to eHRPD then EVDO. Testing must be under way all over town. How exciting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

my Nexus 5 will randomly just drop the mobile connection entirely.  it can take up to 30 seconds for it to come back.  is this common for areas where there are triband issues or does everyone experience this in all markets?  this happens when i am stationary at home with a solid airave signal and when i am out and about driving.  see screenshot...

nex5.png

my Nexus 5 will randomly just drop the mobile connection entirely.  it can take up to 30 seconds for it to come back.  is this common for areas where there are triband issues or does everyone experience this in all markets?  this happens when i am stationary at home with a solid airave signal and when i am out and about driving.  see screenshot...

- removed screenshot for quoting purposes

I'm not sure it's common, but it happens to me. I am in a problem area, so unfortunately, I can't offer much help, other than that you're not the only one.

You're still in a problem area. Once all the sites in the region are 3G accepted, if you are still seeing the problem, then it might be worth checking out.

• Like 1

Living in Auburn, Washington, getting no LTE anywhere in my area, even down in Des Moines, tried Forced LTE, no luck. My friend who lives in Bothel, WA gets a pretty decent LTE signal on his LG G2.

All of the places you visited are currently suffering from the eCSFB issue being discussed in this thread. Visit the first page of the thread, and click on the link to Robert's article. That will explain why LTE is not working.

Once the upgrades/fixes are applied to sites around you, LTE will start working fine for your device. Any other Tri-Band device in the area will be experiencing the same issues that you are.

Any single band devices (GS3, GS4, Note 2, Note 3, EVO LTE, HTC ONE, etc.) will not have these issues.

Your friend in Bothell is in an area that already has updates in place to allow Tri-Band devices to work properly.

All of the places you visited are currently suffering from the eCSFB issue being discussed in this thread. Visit the first page of the thread, and click on the link to Robert's article. That will explain why LTE is not working.

Once the upgrades/fixes are applied to sites around you, LTE will start working fine for your device. Any other Tri-Band device in the area will be experiencing the same issues that you are.

Any single band devices (GS3, GS4, Note 2, Note 3, EVO LTE, HTC ONE, etc.) will not have these issues.

Your friend in Bothell is in an area that already has updates in place to allow Tri-Band devices to work properly.

Thanks Mate. 

Still no LTE for the Tri Band phones here in the Harrisburg Pa area. Every morning I turn the G2 on hoping that Shentel fixed the issue, but not yet.

I wish somehow I could find out their timeframe.

Still no LTE for the Tri Band phones here in the Harrisburg Pa area. Every morning I turn the G2 on hoping that Shentel fixed the issue, but not yet.

Same here :(

I did wake up this morning to the tower that went down for what I asked earlier may have been MSC software update... to it handing off properly this morning when I walked into my kitchen to make coffee.. that tower went down Saturday and came back online Wednesday to give a time frame for those who had connection to to losing connection initially! the tower was still functional for single band devices but my nexus 5 with out LTE only mode being enabled, couldn't handoff and connect before this morning!

It seems like the timeframe is between right now and 3-6 months from now...

Since you are in the Shentel market, it should be pretty soon since it is basically just software updates that need to be done.

It seems like the timeframe is between right now and 3-6 months from now...

Since you are in the Shentel market, it should be pretty soon since it is basically just software updates that need to be done.

Thanks, I really hope it does go rapidly.  Everything is in place in the Shentel area I'm in, including the fallback switches, they just aren't active yet. 

Thanks, I really hope it does go rapidly.  Everything is in place in the Shentel area I'm in, including the fallback switches, they just aren't active yet.

Be happy, a software update is quick. My town is tricky. We have some 3G only towers, 4G only towers, 3G/4G towers, some with band 41 already, and no 800 MHz to be seen. With such a mixture, I am sure it will be that much longer for us. But, on Friday I didn't get any LTE and by Sunday I have it in a lot of places in town now.

• Like 1

Be happy, a software update is quick. My town is tricky. We have some 3G only towers, 4G only towers, 3G/4G towers, some with band 41 already, and no 800 MHz to be seen. With such a mixture, I am sure it will be that much longer for us. But, on Friday I didn't get any LTE and by Sunday I have it in a lot of places in town now.

That's awesome!  I really hope it goes as quickly here in Harrisburg.

I have a question for someone knowledgeable about cell signals.  I was just experimenting here at work (No Pun) with the G2. The Shentel tower is about 0.25 miles down the street.  On 3G I get a signal of -57 dBm.

When I force the phone to fleetingly pick up LTE for 10 seconds or so by switching network mode, then back to LTE/CDMA, I get a signal around -89 dBm to -91 dBm 4G LTE.  Of course the phone then falls back to 3G and parks there.

My question is:  I am so close to the tower, does the -89 dBm to -91 dBm sound correct for being as close to the tower as I am? 

AJ, Robert, Somebody?  :)

Thanks

I have a question for someone knowledgeable about cell signals.  I was just experimenting here at work (No Pun) with the G2. The Shentel tower is about 0.25 miles down the street.  On 3G I get a signal of -57 dBm. When I force the phone to fleetingly pick up LTE for 10 seconds or so by switching network mode, then back to LTE/CDMA, I get a signal around -89 dBm to -91 dBm 4G LTE.  Of course the phone then falls back to 3G and parks there. My question is:  I am so close to the tower, does the -89 dBm to -91 dBm sound correct for being as close to the tower as I am?  AJ, Robert, Somebody?  :) Thanks

Yes. At home, my tower is in line of sight of my house. My 3G is usually -70ish dBm and my 4G is around -90ish dBm. Don't worry about the lower signal, though. My speedtests have been in the high 20 and peaks of 30 mbps with that signal level.

Yes. At home, my tower is in line of sight of my house. My 3G is usually -70ish dBm and my 4G is around -90ish dBm. Don't worry about the lower signal, though. My speedtests have been in the high 20 and peaks of 30 mbps with that signal level.

Thanks,  Those speeds are something to look forward to!  It just appeared to me that the 4G LTE signal was low, since I was so close to the tower.

I have a question for someone knowledgeable about cell signals.  I was just experimenting here at work (No Pun) with the G2. The Shentel tower is about 0.25 miles down the street.  On 3G I get a signal of -57 dBm.

When I force the phone to fleetingly pick up LTE for 10 seconds or so by switching network mode, then back to LTE/CDMA, I get a signal around -89 dBm to -91 dBm 4G LTE.  Of course the phone then falls back to 3G and parks there.

My question is:  I am so close to the tower, does the -89 dBm to -91 dBm sound correct for being as close to the tower as I am? 

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-308-rssi-vs-rsrp-a-brief-lte-signal-strength-primer/

AJ

• Like 4

A big THANK YOU!  That's an awesome article.  I wish I could have found it on my own, so as not to bother anyone, but I guess I didn't search well enough. 

A big THANK YOU!  That's an awesome article.  I wish I could have found it on my own, so as not to bother anyone, but I guess I didn't search well enough. 

Glad I didn't pre-order the G2 based on the issues going on. Seeing how far Shentel is along in the rollout, Sprint must have found out about this issue rather late that even Shentel didn't have time to get the proper items in place for eCSFB.

Glad I didn't pre-order the G2 based on the issues going on. Seeing how far Shentel is along in the rollout, Sprint must have found out about this issue rather late that even Shentel didn't have time to get the proper items in place for eCSFB.

Yeah, but they are getting there.  Just have to be patient.  Just the customer care you get from Sprint is worlds above Verizon!