Breaking Band: Tri-band LTE / eCSFB issues thread

Yeah I don't disagree with you. The watermark was removed and now it says via lilg740s4gru with a link to the site's main page.

Thanks, but yeah hmmm misunderstanding

My apologies, that wasn't directed at you at all.  Just my frustration coming out lol. 

I don't understand why anyone uses Global mode?  Switching from Global mode to LTE/CDMA mode was one of the first settings, I switched on my phone.  Its not like people are going to connect to WCDMA/HSPA+ anyways.

I am willing to bet that if you go back into your settings screen, you will see that it is set to Global. No matter how many times I have switched mine to LTE/CDMA, it always defaults back to Global.

Anyone else having Sensorly problems? Mine crashes while mapping. When trying to reinitiate mapping I get this

Turn on Gps. I forgot I turned it off and got the same error once.

That's odd that you can't hold onto a weaker signal. I routinely hold all the way to -126 before it drops off a few moments later to eHRPD. I get very useable service at that level, too. I do agree that the scan time needs improvement. It takes too long before deciding to try searching out an LTE signal.

LTE Discovery app can help with this. Once your market gets covered though this should become a non-issue as your phone will stay on 4g.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This does suck, but this is the reason Sprint should conduct press releases/interviews. Sprint can then slant the news to its liking and even inform others when it should end which is what people in affected areas want to know. I'm in the nuclear business though so it is common to keep the public well informed to mitigate horrible /incorrect reporting.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I am willing to bet that if you go back into your settings screen, you will see that it is set to Global. No matter how many times I have switched mine to LTE/CDMA, it always defaults back to Global.

This is the G2 screen. But no matter how often I change it, the thing always goes back to Global. attachicon.giftmp_Screenshot_2013-11-19-10-00-18-1425034206.png

My G2 Network mode sticks to LTE/CDMA with no issue.

The phone living up to what you hopped.

< nothing to see here, move along >

Ah didn't know that stock Android always has to be all weird.  Does the "LTE" option mean just LTE or does it mean LTE/CDMA?  I find the N5 network mode options very confusing.  I much prefer the G2 network mode options.  I guess for the N5, its probably safer to leave it on Global mode to ensure LTE/CDMA service.

Geek.com can eat shit. 

Not only did they steal lilg's spreadsheet, they also completely misunderstood the drawbacks and benefits of CSFB. There are advantages to not using SV-LTE, mainly better reception and battery life, not to mention that TD-LTE and SV-LTE didn't play well together. 

My daily driver is an iPhone 5S on Verizon and that device has better battery life than almost anything on Verizon except for the Droid Maxx. It's the only CSFB/eCSFB device on Verizon right now, though I wouldn't be shocked to see CSFB be more common when VoLTE is activated. It also has a much smaller battery than the Maxx. I think at least part of that power advantage is due to Apple's decision to use CSFB in lieu of SV-LTE. If Apple had used SV-LTE it would have had a large power impact on the iPhone's battery life. 

The only drawback to CSFB on CDMA is no text and surf, which is a capability I can live without. I could have switched to AT&T which has HSPA+ here but it's not worth not being on LTE just to get talk and surf. There's no Sprint native service in Chester so VZ/ATT are my options. 

• Like 3

I emailed them. They said it was a "misunderstanding."

Speaking of the spreadsheet...  I have checked 5 towers shown as 3G and 4G accepted, I cannot connect to any without setting my Nexus 5 to LTE only, My HTC One connects to all of them just fine.  My Nexus 5 connects to 4G only towers just fine.  So maybe you want to put an exception in for Birmingham under the Alabama market.

• Like 1

8s the eCSFB problem for all tri-band phones or is it only happening to the nexus 5 and g2? I was just wondering because I usually can connect to LTE on my iPhone but now with the nexus 5 I can't and that is very saddening. So if it is just a problem on the g2 and n5 I might get a different phone.

8s the eCSFB problem for all tri-band phones or is it only happening to the nexus 5 and g2? I was just wondering because I usually can connect to LTE on my iPhone but now with the nexus 5 I can't and that is very saddening. So if it is just a problem on the g2 and n5 I might get a different phone.

It is going to be the same issue with any triband device that uses the single radio. The G2, N5, Galaxy Mega, One Max, S4 mini and every new phone moving on. Sprint is working hard with its vendors to correct the issues, though. It is only a temporary growing pain. 

the story has been picked up by fiecewireless getting quotes from sprint on the issue and time frames of availability... there article is quoting geek.com..... http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-tri-mode-lte-smartphones-dont-support-simultaneous-voice-and-data/2013-11-19?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss

Geek.com can eat shit. 

Not only did they steal lilg's spreadsheet, they also completely misunderstood the drawbacks and benefits of CSFB. There are advantages to not using SV-LTE, mainly better reception and battery life, not to mention that TD-LTE and SV-LTE didn't play well together. 

My daily driver is an iPhone 5S on Verizon and that device has better battery life than almost anything on Verizon except for the Droid Maxx. It's the only CSFB/eCSFB device on Verizon right now, though I wouldn't be shocked to see CSFB be more common when VoLTE is activated. It also has a much smaller battery than the Maxx. I think at least part of that power advantage is due to Apple's decision to use CSFB in lieu of SV-LTE. If Apple had used SV-LTE it would have had a large power impact on the iPhone's battery life. 

The only drawback to CSFB on CDMA is no text and surf, which is a capability I can live without. I could have switched to AT&T which has HSPA+ here but it's not worth not being on LTE just to get talk and surf. There's no Sprint native service in Chester so VZ/ATT are my options. 

The battery life statement that you made has got to be TRUE.  I firmly believe this technology does indeed promote much better battery life. 

I have the G2.  Yesterday I took it off of the charger at 1 AM.  I used it hard all day yesterday (like a little kid in a candy store after I am now able to receive LTE in Harrisburg), doing many speed tests.  This morning at 5:20 AM I still had 45% battery life left!  That's almost 28 hours with many periods of hard use, phone calls and Internet surfing and still 45% battery left.  I'm amazed!

A nice consistent LTE signal the entire time!  No drops or anything. 

• Like 1

My daily driver is an iPhone 5S on Verizon and that device has better battery life than almost anything on Verizon except for the Droid Maxx. It's the only CSFB/eCSFB device on Verizon right now...

I am doubtful that the iPhone 5 through 5S series are e/CSFB devices on VZW or Sprint because e/CSFB must be implemented at the network side.  That certainly was not the case for Sprint, yet no major iPhone connectivity problems have been reported.  So, I presume that the LTE iPhone models continue to flip over to CDMA1X every 5.12 seconds per the slot cycle index.

AJ

Speaking of the spreadsheet...  I have checked 5 towers shown as 3G and 4G accepted, I cannot connect to any without setting my Nexus 5 to LTE only, My HTC One connects to all of them just fine.  My Nexus 5 connects to 4G only towers just fine.  So maybe you want to put an exception in for Birmingham under the Alabama market.

At this point in time we are going to keep the spreadsheet as a key for what is an incumbent market, non incumbent market, and which markets have had 3G/4G. We think(and hope) that for incumbent markets like the majority of the South, that they will only need a software update with the MSC to fix the problems some of us are having.

• Like 2

the story has been picked up by fiecewireless getting quotes from sprint on the issue and time frames of availability... there article is quoting geek.com..... http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-tri-mode-lte-smartphones-dont-support-simultaneous-voice-and-data/2013-11-19?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss

She is claiming that this issue only affects 3% of launched market coverage, that seems pretty low.

At this point in time we are going to keep the spreadsheet as a key for what is an incumbent market, non incumbent market, and which markets have had 3G/4G. We think(and hope) that for incumbent markets like the majority of the South, that they will only need a software update with the MSC to fix the problems some of us are having.

If it is indeed just a software update at the MSC why not just push it out?  I understand there may be some hurdles but do we know of any?

If it is indeed just a software update at the MSC why not just push it out?  I understand there may be some hurdles but do we know of any?

Idk, I think they did or at least tried to here in the Plains Markets last week and the update had issues and caused an outage for around 3 hours that caught the eye of local media. A lot of folks have reported having issues with 3G/4G sites in incumbent markets(especially Ericsson markets) some have reported that the issue has been taken care of. I know that I am connected to a 3G/4G site right now with no problems and they connect just fine. Some folks in my market are still having issues. I don't really know why they would wait or why some work and some don't.

If it is indeed just a software update at the MSC why not just push it out? I understand there may be some hurdles but do we know of any?

I agree cause I want to keep my N5 and use it with regular LTE but I am leaning more towardsgoing back to the iPhone because of it and don't know how long it is going to take

• Like 1

Idk, I think they did or at least tried to here in the Plains Markets last week and the update had issues and caused an outage for around 3 hours that caught the eye of local media. A lot of folks have reported having issues with 3G/4G sites in incumbent markets(especially Ericsson markets) some have reported that the issue has been taken care of. I know that I am connected to a 3G/4G site right now with no problems and they connect just fine. Some folks in my market are still having issues. I don't really know why they would wait or why some work and some don't.

Haha I'll buy that, sometimes there is really just no telling with Sprint.

So, Not able to connect to a lot of sites on my drive tonight. And no b41. Tried all different band settings. Its not just yellow sites that im having problems with. Its completely random. Just like others have reported it shows lte for a split second(does not register in signalcheck) then falls back to ehrpd. Actually, looking at the map these are all purple sites have not had any issues with 3g/4g sites. Its only SOME sites that give me issues.

I tried everything too disabled b41, all different band priorities, restarting phone, Updating prl and profile. Sat at the base of b41 only site and did all of this too and could only get the 2 b25 sites down the road in dif directions

Market: Missouri

Device: N5

Legacy Vendor:Nortel(Ericsson)

NV Vendor:Ericsson.

So here's another one to chalk up on the broken list. I don't believe there is a way to fix it either.

Someone PM'd me about a LG G2 not working on voice outgoing or incoming. Yet older devices work fine. They are using an Airave and pickup a weak LTE signal at times. Even if they are using wifi the devices still scan for LTE. I see this myself when I am in my back bedroom now. I sometimes see a -118 or -120 LTE signal on my Note2. Now think how CFSB works. It uses the LTE signal to tunnel the 1x paging. That LTE site doesn't know to hand the call off to your airave. It tries to hand it off to the local site which fails due to signal issues. Effectively rendering voice useless on your device.

Anyone else seeing this? If I pick up a N5 soon I might run into this issue myself. My local site won't get 1x800 due to ground mounted RRUs so it won't get fixed anytime soon. Wow... I would have to break out my repeater to halfway fix this issue.

• Like 1