Breaking Band: Tri-band LTE / eCSFB issues thread

I recently upgraded my Photon Q to the One Max, and of course, I have CSFB issues. 

I live in Brooklyn, and my phone connects to band 41. (I know via the engineering screens at ##33284). At home, i hover around -100 dBm. I cannot send or receive texts while I am on band 41, but do not have issues receiving or making calls. However, when I go into my basement, band 41 doesn't reach and i revert to Band 25 around -95 dBm. Here, on band 25, my phone can send and receive texts perfectly. but as soon as I go back up to my apartment, my phone reverts to band  41 and texts cease to go through.

Initially, I thought this was a phone issue, but its not. I went to Manhattan today, Union Square area, and again, phone connected to Band 41. Here, I had no issues sending or receiving texts. 

My question is, I know there's nothing I can actually do about this, as it is a CSFB issue between the Clear tower and the Sprint tower, but is there a way I can document this to Sprint? I feel that no matter what I tell to the service rep, they will just go through with the normal procedures they do, such as phone reset, etc. when that is not the issue. 

I'll post screen shots of some speed tests and engineering screens of Band 41 in the Spark thread. 

you may be able to open a ticket and state that you can not send/receive texts while connected to whatever the base station code is for that b41 tower. Check signalcheck app "gci" code.

But its unlikely it will get fixed any sooner, as they no doubt already know which towers are not csfb compliant and are scheduling or have already scheduled the necessary fixes to be done.

I recently upgraded my Photon Q to the One Max, and of course, I have CSFB issues. 

I live in Brooklyn, and my phone connects to band 41. (I know via the engineering screens at ##33284). At home, i hover around -100 dBm. I cannot send or receive texts while I am on band 41, but do not have issues receiving or making calls. However, when I go into my basement, band 41 doesn't reach and i revert to Band 25 around -95 dBm. Here, on band 25, my phone can send and receive texts perfectly. but as soon as I go back up to my apartment, my phone reverts to band  41 and texts cease to go through.

Initially, I thought this was a phone issue, but its not. I went to Manhattan today, Union Square area, and again, phone connected to Band 41. Here, I had no issues sending or receiving texts. 

My question is, I know there's nothing I can actually do about this, as it is a CSFB issue between the Clear tower and the Sprint tower, but is there a way I can document this to Sprint? I feel that no matter what I tell to the service rep, they will just go through with the normal procedures they do, such as phone reset, etc. when that is not the issue. 

I'll post screen shots of some speed tests and engineering screens of Band 41 in the Spark thread. 

Can't you just turn band 41 off?

• Like 1

Can't you just turn band 41 off?

No, all bands are enabled on the phone from what I believe. It's not like the old WiMax phones which had a separate toggle for WiMax. I also believe that the priority setting goes like this: Band 41 > Band 25 > Band 26

you may be able to open a ticket and state that you can not send/receive texts while connected to whatever the base station code is for that b41 tower. Check signalcheck app "gci" code.

But its unlikely it will get fixed any sooner, as they no doubt already know which towers are not csfb compliant and are scheduling or have already scheduled the necessary fixes to be done.

Last time I called Sprint with a complaint about network issue was when I stopped being allowed to connect to  my local Clear WiMax tower. This was back in 2011, and the Sprint rep told me the nearest WiMax tower to my house in Brooklyn was in Jersey. Needless to say, I don't have much faith in the reps doing anything right. 

Alright, guys. Get to work on the S4GRU/e/CSFB app. We will wait to take all the credit until you are done with a flawless app.

;)

AJ

• Like 2

Alright, guys. Get to work on the S4GRU/e/CSFB app. We will wait to take all the credit until you are done with a flawless app.

;)

AJ

Nah.. I can just ask Sprintcare on Twitter since they do such a great job on things. :)

• Like 1

Love the comments section:

VxQGm82.jpg

That guy was banned here for cursing out the staff in The Forums about a month ago.  Connect the dots.  He is a bitter, vocabulary challenged loser.

AJ

That guy was awful. He kept asking for a sponsor to check his area. I feel a little offended by him because I was one of several to encourage him to donate. What a troll!

Great to have lte in my home again, thanks for fixing my ecsfb site :)

Now, if we could just fix your girlish handwritten font...

AJ

• Like 9

I live in NYC (Queens), say I want to use my Nexus 5 for tethering. Could I just switch it to LTE only and get LTE speeds on my laptop and then just switch back to 3g when I'm done? I'm not worried about getting calls, just want to know if I'll be able to access the LTE service at all or will I be stuck in 3g no matter what I do?

I live in NYC (Queens), say I want to use my Nexus 5 for tethering. Could I just switch it to LTE only and get LTE speeds on my laptop and then just switch back to 3g when I'm done? I'm not worried about getting calls, just want to know if I'll be able to access the LTE service at all or will I be stuck in 3g no matter what I do?

Well, first, you must add the mobile hotspot option to your plan. Have you done that?

AJ

• Like 5

Data would be suspended while on a call, then resume once call is finished.

is dc affected by the eCSFB issue because i can connect to lte on my iphone 5 but not my nexus 5

Yes it is .. I have been having issues with my G2 since i got it. Phone calls are not connecting to the towers so i have to call a number 3 to 4  times before it connects 

I don't know if anyone in this thread is in Northwest Louisiana (Shreveport/Bossier area), but just wanted to say that I can confirm that 2 towers have been updated here.  I was able to pick up LTE and make phone calls today while connected to the tower by LSUS and the tower serving Airline Dr between 220 and I-20.  Dunno if that helps anyone, but I'm glad to see some progress here.  This is not an official LTE area yet so I was not expecting to see any fix to the ECSFB problem for a long while, but it seems they are doing something.

• Like 1

is dc affected by the eCSFB issue because i can connect to lte on my iphone 5 but not my nexus 5

Easy way to tell, force LTE via hidden menu *#*#4636#*#* > Phone Info > LTE Only. If it works, its an eCSFB problem.