Breaking Band: Tri-band LTE / eCSFB issues thread

I've been having a weird issue where my N5's incoming calls come up "Unknown" even when they are people in my contacts. It's not people calling with private numbers as it can happen sometimes from the same number that does not come up "Unknown". Anyone else having an issue? Is this maybe related to the handoff to 3G?

I have seen that several times on my EVO LTE over the past few months. Didn't seem to matter who was calling me or where I was. Most prevalent was calls from my wife while she was out and about, spending my money somewhere; she has an iPhone on Sprint. No Airave involved in the mix at all. Hasn't happened in a month or so, but it was annoying.

-Mike

I was in the Hershey PA area last evening.  There is definitely (Tri Band usable) LTE in that area as well now. 

Just like in my hone area of Harrisburg PA, the signal hashes from 1 bar to full bars and keeps cycling over and over again like that on my LG G2.

I remember when I had the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, in the same area, the signal was pegged at full bars and it just stayed there.

Is this a system issue, or is the G2 not receiving correctly?

I can get some pretty wild readings:  -86 dBm down to -107 dBm and it just keeps cycling.

The best I can get at all when near the tower, before I'm too close that I actually get a lower signal is -62 dBm.  I would expect much higher than that - maybe down in the 50's?

Any thoughts or reasoning why the signal keeps cycling like that?

Thanks

The best I can get at all when near the tower, before I'm too close that I actually get a lower signal is -62 dBm.  I would expect much higher than that - maybe down in the 50's?

CDMA1X RSSI, yes.  LTE RSRP, not likely.

AJ

CDMA1X RSSI, yes.  LTE RSRP, not likely.

AJ

Thanks AJ. 

Any words of wisdom as to why the signal cyclically goes from high to low when I'm standing still?  Appears strange to me, but from someone who understands radio wave theory, maybe it's normal.  The GN3 didn't exhibit this in the same place (at that point in time), like my G2 does.

Any words of wisdom as to why the signal cyclically goes from high to low when I'm standing still?

To gather any idea, I would need to see a short video clip of your engineering screen and/or SignalCheck exhibiting the phenomenon.  Is that doable?

AJ

To gather any idea, I would need to see a short video clip of your engineering screen and/or SignalCheck exhibiting the phenomenon.  Is that doable?

AJ

Certainly,  I could take a video of the Signal Check Pro screen and PM you the link to a YouTube video.  That'll be a weekend project for me!  Thanks for the help.  Just checked it now and it's not as dramatic at the moment.  -92 dBm to -105dBm. 

I have seen that several times on my EVO LTE over the past few months. Didn't seem to matter who was calling me or where I was. Most prevalent was calls from my wife while she was out and about, spending my money somewhere; she has an iPhone on Sprint. No Airave involved in the mix at all. Hasn't happened in a month or so, but it was annoying.

-Mike

Hmmm makes me wonder now.... I've been getting a lot of unknown calls and just haven't answered any of them.  

Geek.com can eat shit. 

Not only did they steal lilg's spreadsheet, they also completely misunderstood the drawbacks and benefits of CSFB. There are advantages to not using SV-LTE, mainly better reception and battery life, not to mention that TD-LTE and SV-LTE didn't play well together. 

My daily driver is an iPhone 5S on Verizon and that device has better battery life than almost anything on Verizon except for the Droid Maxx. It's the only CSFB/eCSFB device on Verizon right now, though I wouldn't be shocked to see CSFB be more common when VoLTE is activated. It also has a much smaller battery than the Maxx. I think at least part of that power advantage is due to Apple's decision to use CSFB in lieu of SV-LTE. If Apple had used SV-LTE it would have had a large power impact on the iPhone's battery life. 

The only drawback to CSFB on CDMA is no text and surf, which is a capability I can live without. I could have switched to AT&T which has HSPA+ here but it's not worth not being on LTE just to get talk and surf. There's no Sprint native service in Chester so VZ/ATT are my options. 

Love the comments section:

VxQGm82.jpg

• Like 3

Love the comments section:

That guy was banned here for cursing out the staff in The Forums about a month ago.  Connect the dots.  He is a bitter, vocabulary challenged loser.

AJ

• Like 13

Device: Nexus 5

Area: All over Eastern Massachusetts, from NH border south to Foxboro, including downtown Boston, Rt. 128, and I-93.

LTE: Band 25 nearly everywhere, signal held much better than my EVO LTE. No issues picking up or losing connections. No differences if B41 or B26 are enabled. No issues handing off to different towers while driving at highway speeds.

-Mike

• Like 5

Let me just add officially...

Jacksonville/St Augustine market

Device: LG G2

Able to connect to every 3G/4G compete site, still unable to connect to 4G only.

Band 25 found about 85% of everywhere I visit.

Signal is amazing and speeds are consistently fast and lag free.

Able to connect in most buildings.

Looks like once phase 1 NV is complete in the next few months, Sprint LTE is going to be king in Florida.

• Like 7

I'm still having issues connecting to LTE on a site by my house that is 3G/4G accepted. My zing will connect, but not my G2. I tweeted Sprint care about it and they said the tower was still receiving 3G upgrades. So makes sense if its not eCSFB compatible...

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Can anyone confirm Chattanooga? Looks like I'll be selling my house and moving there really soon.

You will have municipal gigabit fiber.  You may be so dazzled that wireless becomes an afterthought.

AJ

• Like 4

You will have municipal gigabit fiber. You may be so dazzled that wireless becomes an afterthought.

AJ

I'm one of the few who hold voice availability as a very important factor. I've been watching the 4G accepted towers there for 3G/4G acceptance, and am trying to make sure that the new house is within 3 miles of a tower.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Interesting, so Ericsson is turning on 800.

I haven't seen any 800 yet so far. Hopefully it will be soon. There have been reports of it in a couple of places in Jacksonville 

• Like 1

I'm one of the few who hold voice availability as a very important factor. I've been watching the 4G accepted towers there for 3G/4G acceptance, and am trying to make sure that the new house is within 3 miles of a tower.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm 2.2 miles from a 200+ ft tower and still require an airave.

Yeah, but your towers are broken :P

I'm about 2.2 miles from my nearest tower and have good LTE signal. Good 3G signal as well. My only problem is that on an N5 it holds onto LTE signal when I'm downstairs and I miss some calls that way =-/