Breaking Band: Tri-band LTE / eCSFB issues thread

Not the best place for the mifi discussion, but average of 15 down/7 up on band 25, 30 down/15 up on band 41. Highest speed test I've done (tethered) on B41 was 57 down. Its been speculated before that they are using old clearwire backhaul that hasn't been upgraded.

Sorry about that , just curious.but Thx..

• Like 2

I did notice just a bit ago that when i toggle airplane mode i get 4g back, but once i leave 4g coverage or get a call, it reverts back to 3g and wont go back to 4g.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Is there a list of eCSFB vs. CSFB devices?  I assume all the triband LTE devices are considered eCSFB devices and all single band LTE devices which seem to all have SVLTE support are considered CSFB devices?

No, eCSFB and CSFB have the same function -- the former is just the "enhanced" version.  To be clear, CSFB stands for Circuit Switched Fallback.  And it is necessary only on single RF path handsets, since they must drop from LTE to W-CDMA or CDMA1X to receive a voice call.  On SVLTE handsets, which require dual RF paths, CSFB is not relevant, as those handsets can maintain simultaneous LTE and W-CDMA or CDMA1X connections.

AJ

• Like 1

It's believed that a site with NV 3G accepted (a yellow or green site) that will not allow a Triband LTE device to connect is just in need of a software update. This is why some people report their LTE all of a sudden works. So maybe your site will be recitifed soon.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

All the sites around my area are either yellow or green, 16602, but it is Shentel territory. I'm wondering what the chances are that they will fix them? I haven't been able to connect to any of them.

Bronx NY 10453, with a bit of patience my phone seems to operate as expected. Just hangs onto whatever its on longer than any of my other phones, hand offs perfectly, Just wish it would switch back to LTE quicker than it does. Airplane toggle does the trick if I'm impatient.

• Like 1

Hopefully Sprint is truly aware of this issue. I've been to two Sprint stores and keep having them insist on wiping my phone and calls to tech support keep resulting in suggestions that I return to Best Buy for a replacement phone. It'd be nice to see an official statement that the issue is known.

• Like 1

Hopefully Sprint is truly aware of this issue. I've been to two Sprint stores and keep having them insist on wiping my phone and calls to tech support keep resulting in suggestions that I return to Best Buy for a replacement phone. It'd be nice to see an official statement that the issue is known.

Why would you think that Sprint might not be aware of the eCSFB issue?  Management is most definitely aware.  Frontline employees, however, may not be.  Nor should that matter, as this issue is well above their pay grade.  Pestering store reps and tech support will not expedite a solution or improve your situation.  But you do have several options:  switch back to a single band handset, wait for eCSFB issues to get sorted out over the next few months, or port out to a different wireless provider.

AJ

• Like 3

Took a trip and noticed I was stuck on 3G and erratic serivice with my lg g2 in Tulsa and Wichita this POS is going back, I can't believe they neutered the g2. Places were I was able to pick up 4g with my note2 around home I'm now getting 3G. The camera is slow /laggy in low light shots practically unusable.. Now you can't do voice and data while in a conversation is just a deal breaker, what a downgrade.. Is there a list of rf performance on current sprint phones?

Why would you think that Sprint might not be aware of the eCSFB issue?  Management is most definitely aware.  Frontline employees, however, may not be.  Nor should that matter, as this issue is well above their pay grade.  Pestering store reps and tech support will not expedite a solution or improve your situation.  But you do have several options:  switch back to a single band handset, wait for eCSFB issues to get sorted out over the next few months, or port out to a different wireless provider.

AJ

I just assumed that by letting an employee at a repair center know or a CSR know, it'd help them get the info out as to where and how widespread the issue is. If everyone is oblivious, the how can they collect the info internally to fully address the issue?

Took a trip and noticed I was stuck on 3G and erratic serivice with my lg g2 in Tulsa and Wichita this POS is going back, I can't believe they neutered the g2. Places were I was able to pick up 4g with my note2 around home I'm now getting 3G. The camera is slow /laggy in low light shots practically unusable.. Now you can't do voice and data while in a conversation is just a deal breaker, what a downgrade.. Is there a list of rf performance on current sprint phones?

Nobody "neutered" the G2. And this device most certainly isn't a POS, either.

The connectivity issues you're experiencing is likely what has been discussed in this entire thread.

This is a symptom of either LG Tri Band devices or all of them and the issue is known within Sprint and a fix is in the works.

As far as slow cameras in low light, that's typically how most phones behave as the Contrast Detection auto focus mechanism in all cell phones don't work well in those situations. Low light makes the camera focus slowly so the sensor can recognize what's in focus.

On the contrary my low light shots are very usable on my G2.

Voice and Data while on a call is going to be gone on all future handsets that Sprint releases unless you stick with the Single band devices.

• Like 4

Sorry if this was already posted, but can someone explain what they think needs to be done for the purple (4G only) sites?

I am living in downtown Minneapolis - 55404 -- and am having the same LTE connection problems with my N5 as many of the others on here.  I can force LTE manually, but it will not connect under normal settings.

This area is a very purple area.  It sounded like the yellow/green just need software updates, but purple needs hardware changes?  If that's the case, I probably have to return my N5  :(

I just assumed that by letting an employee at a repair center know or a CSR know, it'd help them get the info out as to where and how widespread the issue is. If everyone is oblivious, the how can they collect the info internally to fully address the issue?

Since you are a Premier sponsor -- and we greatly appreciate your support -- I often forget that you have been with us for just a few months.  So, you may not have seen my admonishments about bothering frontline Sprint employees with Network Vision questions or issues.  That does nothing.  I was of your mindset over 10 years ago, but I quickly deduced that the frontline employees do not have the knowledge and power I thought they did.  And this is one of the primary reasons that a site like S4GRU exists.

In summary, this is a deep seated 3GPP standards issue.  It is not an isolated problem for which a "trouble ticket" might get it fixed.  Sprint is well aware, but it will take some time to continue deployment to solve the problem.  At least one internal memo has been posted in several of these LG G2 and Nexus 5 threads.  Have you not read it?

AJ

• Like 4

AJ

AJ, "The Dave" is in an incumbent market so the eCSFB issue should not be affecting him. It is definitely something else.

I will say this. Just took a trip down to west palm beach...(sitting downtown rightnow) my G2 kept an lte signal all the way here. It did drop to 3g once and did take awhile to get the lte signal back but it seems to be working ok now. However in building coverage (lte/3g/1x) is non-existent...and roams on metro-pcs....

AJ, "The Dave" is in an incumbent market so the eCSFB issue should not be affecting him. It is definitely something else.

No, it is not "definitely" something else.  We have other reports of issues in incumbent markets.  But you are right to an extent.  Now that I recall, The Dave's issue sounded SIM related.  We probably need to retitle this thread, as it is now basically dedicated to eCSFB discussion, not isolated problems that individual users may be having.

AJ

It seems that, after looking at the map, I haven't been able to connect to LTE on either 3G/4G or 4G only towers. So far, I have only seen LTE at my house and my wife had it inside the Avenues Mall and inside Tijuana Flats on the south side of Jacksonville.

I wonder if this eCSFB problem is making it difficult distinguish between a faulty phone and a eCSFB issue.

Title changed and thread moved...

AJ

• Like 4

My SIM was replaced and my wife's phone experiences the same issues.

Today I noticed a new issue. When I drove to work, I dropped down to 1x. But, when I got close to a new tower it wouldn't hand off. Once, it just lost service for 10 miles until I did a prl update since airplane mode and power cycling did nothing. Two other times, it got "stuck" on 1x and wouldn't go back to eHRPD or LTE until I did a prl update. I let it sit for 40 minutes before I gave up and did a prl update. Suddenly, I got 3 bars LTE service.

Had to see it for my self...  Went and sat under the Tower at Cook & Finch in Olmsted Falls, Ohio (only reported as 4G accepted)..  Absolutly NO 4g whatsoever, while my Tab 3 got full 4g signal..  Airplane mode on my N5 resulted on connecting back to 3G.. didn't appear to even see the LTE..  I then disabled band 26 and 41, and set the priority back to stock.. nothing..   I then set the radio signal to LTE only, and viola.. connected..  LTE with 5 bars...  Although SignalCheck Pro showed nothing...a switch to Signal Check's Show Hidden Data then revealed the LTE information, showing the GCI: 0821F401..  The exact Sector ID which I was connecting  to every morning on my way to work with my HTC One..

Kinda sux that I have the fantastic phone and NO 4G... although I guess I shouldn't complain too loud, as sprint hasn't even announced that the Cleveland market is on it's way yet)

I'm thinking that the issues here in south Florida are being resolved. Its been handing off between 3g/4g nicely. (Here in west palm beach at least.) Hopefully they are moving quickly north to fix the issues in my neck of the woods. ????

AJ

Yes it matters. They should acknowledge that they have a problem and be able to have a front line employee and have them explain it to me as a customer so I could make a educated choice.  Install front line are telling ppl to take their phone bad thinking something is wrong with it, when in reality nothing is wrong with the phone. If Sprint just ignores their front line employees that here what their customer wants, then they will stay at number 3 or even go out of business. Sprint is nothing without their customers.