LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

I've got a quick question. With the single band phones that have SVLTE, we know that the "signal bars" aren't an actual representation of LTE signal strength when on LTE, because it is actually the strength of the voice/sms signal (correct me if I'm wrong).

My question is, do the new tri-band devices that don't have SVLTE on them show actual LTE signal strength, when connected to LTE, since they are either on CDMA or LTE (not CDMA for voice and LTE for data since they use CSFB)? (Sorry if this isn't the right place for this, I don't really see it as a question that a whole thread should be started over) Thanks for the help!

• Like 2

My question is, do the new tri-band devices that don't have SVLTE on them show actual LTE signal strength, when connected to LTE, since they are either on CDMA or LTE (not CDMA for voice and LTE for data since they use CSFB)? 

Yes.

• Like 1

I've got a quick question. With the single band phones that have SVLTE, we know that the "signal bars" aren't an actual representation of LTE signal strength when on LTE, because it is actually the strength of the voice/sms signal (correct me if I'm wrong).

My question is, do the new tri-band devices that don't have SVLTE on them show actual LTE signal strength, when connected to LTE, since they are either on CDMA or LTE (not CDMA for voice and LTE for data since they use CSFB)? (Sorry if this isn't the right place for this, I don't really see it as a question that a whole thread should be started over) Thanks for the help!

They do show data strength in bars. And single band LTE devices that have been updated to 4.3 jelly bean also show data strength in bars.

• Like 1

so does anyone know how they are defining the "top 100 markets" for spark deployment? are they sprint defined markets as we know the markets to be? are they top 100 cities? top 100 metro areas?

now that the "fat pipe" jokes have subsided ;) anyone know the answer or have any guesses on this?

now that the "fat pipe" jokes have subsided ;) anyone know the answer or have any guesses on this?

It really could be anything, top 100 CMAs, TV markets, you name it. 

I would guess though that it'll look pretty similar to the top 100 TV markets, with a few exceptions.

Not sure if I'm asking this correctly but here it goes.

Does sprint plan on deploying spark just to the top 100 largest cities for the next 3 years?

Another words...is it going to take 3 years to deploy spark in the larger cities? And if so will the smaller cities get spark once the larger cities are complete?

I'm confusing myself

Not sure if I'm asking this correctly but here it goes.

Does sprint plan on deploying spark just to the top 100 largest cities for the next 3 years?

Another words...is it going to take 3 years to deploy spark in the larger cities? And if so will the smaller cities get spark once the larger cities are complete?

I'm confusing myself

I think this is an example of the under promise, over deliver philosophy.

• Like 4

That was technically Clearwire screwing up, not Sprint.

Kind of, niether could find funding for further roll out. Clear's business model didn't work and sprint didn't have the capital to absorb them until SoftBank. So it was both companies really.

Didn't the WiMax rollout happen quickly?

I honestly think that deployment in these top 100 cities will at least have been started by Q3 2014. And I can see these intial 5 cities being complete by the end of next year.

So quick, the crews never got off the exit ramp and kept the cruise on 75mph passing large markets right on up.

• Like 3

The long term commitment should be 2.6 on all Network Vision sites. I don't think SoftBank is going to let that out there if it is their ambition. No reason NV can't incorporate all three frequencies. In fact, that was the original vision.

On the surface it may seem that Spark is Sprint losing focus, but in reality it is marketing speak for what they already planned to do.

Spark involves all three bands, not just 2.6 GHz. I do wish the government would seriously look at the way they allocate spectrum. I wish the US would transition to a system where spectrum is allocated more by need and less by political agendas.

The long term commitment should be 2.6 on all Network Vision sites. I don't think SoftBank is going to let that out there if it is their ambition. No reason NV can't incorporate all three frequencies. In fact, that was the original vision.

On the surface it may seem that Spark is Sprint losing focus, but in reality it is marketing speak for what they already planned to do.

Spark involves all three bands, not just 2.6 GHz. I do wish the government would seriously look at the way they allocate spectrum. I wish the US would transition to a system where spectrum is allocated more by need and less by political agendas.

I agree and I know SoftBank wants to implement 2.6 on all NV sites to give everyone the "spark" experience.

Hopefully the DC metro & bmore is the next round of markets

• Like 1

A source just leaked us a snapshot of an internal document that includes more specific info on the Spark software updates.  See below:

zv7czl.png

AJ

• Like 15

A source just leaked us a snapshot of an internal document that includes more specific info on the Spark software updates.  See below:

Photo removed for quoting purposes.

AJ

Early 2014? :(  And I want my TD-LTE when I go to LA in the near future. Maybe I should get the GS4 mini so I can have my Spark the next time I go to LA.

now we just need to dissect the update and see what it does

My initial impression is that the software update adjusts the band enable/priority settings and installs the Spark icons.  That may be it.  The adjustments that our members have made using their MSLs may have the same effect -- minus the icons.

AJ

• Like 6